Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2023, 19:12   #661

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

Thanks satyanu28. I figured out how to show the average FE on the MID after buying the car. The value showed 4.8kmpl for a trip of 718kms. I was almost in tears and was upset for a night. Reset the trip next day and have driven around 17kms so far in city traffic (light to moderate), and the average is at 10.1kmpl. Some relief and I hope it'll stabilize at 7.5-8 in heavy traffic. Will also do a tank to tank measurement.

Other than mileage making me cry, I am absolutely in love with the car. Everyone in the family is also blown away by the comfort and space. Loving it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyanu28 View Post
Please ensure the tyre are changed soon (if not already) as the rubber could get hard after 3 years.
The tyres are stock tyres (Goodyear Assurance) and haven't been changed. Toying with the idea of changing them as it'll be 4 years soon. Any good recommendations? I remember someone suggesting Continental UC in this thread. Did you upgrade to them? Also did you upgrade the tyre size by any chance? Thanks!
fabia_firstcar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 11:30   #662
BHPian

Please remember that the fuel efficiency is only based on the last 40-50km.

You are right about the comfort of the car. I have on multiple occasions tried to replace this car with a "better" car (I wanted a little more zip in drive). But haven't found any worthy VFM replacements yet.

I guess, in a good way, I am stuck with this car.

Have fun. Happy to help in any further sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabia_firstcar View Post
Thanks satyanu28. I figured out how to show the average FE on the MID after buying the car. The value showed 4.8kmpl for a trip of 718kms. I was almost in tears and was upset for a night. Reset the trip next day and have driven around 17kms so far in city traffic (light to moderate), and the average is at 10.1kmpl. Some relief and I hope it'll stabilize at 7.5-8 in heavy traffic. Will also do a tank to tank measurement.

Other than mileage making me cry, I am absolutely in love with the car. Everyone in the family is also blown away by the comfort and space. Loving it so far.

The tyres are stock tyres (Goodyear Assurance) and haven't been changed. Toying with the idea of changing them as it'll be 4 years soon. Any good recommendations? I remember someone suggesting Continental UC in this thread. Did you upgrade to them? Also did you upgrade the tyre size by any chance? Thanks!
satyanu28 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 11:32   #663
BHPian

Also one of the reasons the fuel efficiency reading was removed from the 2020 model was due to this shock treatment .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabia_firstcar View Post

satyanu28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:12   #664
BHPian

Found this when I was looking for something else. Not sure If this is a sponsored analysis...but was happy to read it nevertheless....

https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fe...egments-419399
Old 18th June 2023, 15:03   #665

Hello team-bhp’ians !

Iam happy to finalise have my membership approved finally after years of trying for it !

Purchased the next gen hector sharp pro 7str (rde compliant) last month !

My usage is mainly in mumbai city .

My priorities were :
1) Butch stance aka good road presence
2) a spacious car which could accommodate 5 adults very comfortably with all the features
3) budget around 25L OTR

FE was not my top priority as we don’t clock a lot of KMs every month

The things I’ve liked about this car so far -

1) the comfort and space of the car is unmatched at this price point . Ride quality is terrific

2) for its size the car is very light to drive in city traffic

3) the audio system is absolutely top class the best I’ve experienced !

Points to be considered :

1) I’ve driven the car around 500 kms in city and Iam getting a FE of 7-8kms . My first service is due in a few days and I will discuss it with them if there are any chances of this number increasing !

2) anyone who’s looking to rev their engines and is a sheer enthusiast this car is likely not for them - as it’s mean for a comfort / sedate driving experience - since mumbai traffic doesn’t allow much opportunity for this in regular hours anyway and I don’t have highway usage - I chose to buy the hector .
Carjunky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 23:00   #666
BHPian

Recently did a 350km round trip to Vrindavan.
While returning the car performed very poorly. The acceleration was sluggish and under the load of 5 people car appeared to gasp for breath. I attributed this to high ambient temperature of around 40’C (though the car maintained normal engine temperature)and also the car didn’t get time to fully cool down as during the stops car was not parked in shade.

So I want to ask the members that is it advisable to cool the the car down by pouring cool water over the radiator?

And also where is the radiator of the Hector placed since it is not visible from outside unlike our XUV?
Old 6th July 2023, 20:51   #667

Done about 1100 kms on the new hector petrol sharp pro - getting a FE of 6ish (mumbai city. Very little highway usage)
At the first service I mentioned the same to the service supervisor . He told me they have reset the parameters and the FE should be better now . However Iam not seeing any increase.

Anyone here getting better FE in city driving or can share any suggestions for improving the FE ? I was expecting atleast a 7-8kmpl
Old 9th July 2023, 01:29   #668

Six KM/L is about average for Hector. I have had this in couple of full tank runs. Using Fuelio to measure and not the MG app.
Old 24th July 2023, 10:49   #669
BHPian

MG Hector Diesel owners, I would like to know what is the frequency at which you are adding adblue. Mine is Sep 22 model and so far not added adblue not even once. It has run 21900 kms so far. I raised this issue with service advisor during 3rd service at 14700 kms and he said they might haved filled adblue but not billed it. I have not observed any DPF issues also. On the otherhand, the vehicle performance is perfect in terms of pickup, ride quality and with an excellent fuel effiency of 19-20 kmpl.
Old 26th July 2023, 16:50   #670
BHPian

Hello,
I am considering to buy a Sep 2021 Hector Diesel Sharp variant run about 20,000 kms. The car looks generally clean with clean service history. (except a small paint job done at ASS, which is ok with me)

I have a few questions.
1. I saw that when started the car make a very peculiar griding noise. this sound is there at every crank. The owner said that its quite normal in MG cars.i asked a mg service technician also, he also said its normal. Is it normal or should i be worried?

2. I read somewhere that whenever you are ona bluetooth call, you cant even adjust the AC. Is it true? If yes, It is bothersome and is there any workaround?

3. What is the real world fuel efficieny expected out of this diesel? You can gauge my driving style by the fact that i consistently get 21kmpl Tank to tank from my S cross 1.3 diesel.

4. Anything else you feel i should be aware about?
Old 27th July 2023, 08:59   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
Hello,
I am considering to buy a Sep 2021 Hector Diesel Sharp variant run about 20,000 kms. The car looks generally clean with clean service history. (except a small paint job done at ASS, which is ok with me)

I have a few questions.
1. I saw that when started the car make a very peculiar griding noise. this sound is there at every crank. The owner said that its quite normal in MG cars.i asked a mg service technician also, he also said its normal. Is it normal or should i be worried?

2. I read somewhere that whenever you are ona bluetooth call, you cant even adjust the AC. Is it true? If yes, It is bothersome and is there any workaround?

3. What is the real world fuel efficieny expected out of this diesel? You can gauge my driving style by the fact that i consistently get 21kmpl Tank to tank from my S cross 1.3 diesel.

I have June 2021 diesel Sharp Hector, here you go with my answers in same sequence:-

1. I don’t hear any grinding noise, it’s typical diesel engine start, however sometimes when engine is started after the engine stop ( I mean engine is warm, not a cold start) one can feel a mild “thud” but not noise, it’s common across this Fiat 2 litre engine and has been present since I own. It’s normal as per service centre. No issues whatsoever, my car has run 32K kms.

2. Never experienced that as mostly I am connected through car play.

3. 16 to 18 on highways (spirited driving) . 12-14 in city.

4. Note that Hector diesel has dual mass flywheel setup hence gear shifts are little different then normal diesel engine setups. Half clutch pressed driving is strict no as otherwise leads to burned clutch.

5. It’s long distance cruiser with zero fatigue for driver and passengers. For city I would advise an automatic.

Last edited by FiatDiesel : 27th July 2023 at 09:01.
FiatDiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 10:55   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyanu28 View Post
Found this when I was looking for something else. Not sure If this is a sponsored analysis...but was happy to read it nevertheless....

https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fe...egments-419399
It clearly says it is a branded content (sponsored by MG)
Old 27th July 2023, 11:34   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate driver View Post
MG Hector Diesel owners, I would like to know what is the frequency at which you are adding adblue. Mine is Sep 22 model and so far not added adblue not even once. It has run 21900 kms so far. I raised this issue with service advisor during 3rd service at 14700 kms and he said they might haved filled adblue but not billed it. I have not observed any DPF issues also. On the otherhand, the vehicle performance is perfect in terms of pickup, ride quality and with an excellent fuel effiency of 19-20 kmpl.
Diesel Hector has 17 litre DEF tank and normally 14 liters is filled. Car starts giving warning when approx 2500/3000 km worth of DEF is left. In your case they must have topped it up in previous services as it’s level as well as DPF filter are checked as part of service.

In my case DEF consumption is approximately 800-1000 kms per liter however lot depends on individual driving conditions.

Hope this helps
FiatDiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 12:56   #674
BHPian

The Hector Diesel is a spacious, comfortable and powerful car. It is meant for highways, though you won't feel it cumbersome to drive in city traffic also. If you are ok with the manual transmission go ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
Hello,

I have a few questions.

1. During starting there is this noise which you said. The brand new test drive vehicle was having this sound while starting and so I didn't bother much about this in my car.

2. Not observed this as I mostly set the AC to 24 or 24.5 and leave it. Usually I connect to Android Auto.

3. For my kind of driving I get 16-17 in city, 20+ in highways. Overall mileage is 19+ after running 22000 kms in 10 months.

4. As many users have complained about hard clutch, clutch wear and replacement, you may check that also.
Sedate driver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 13:10   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
I have June 2021 diesel Sharp Hector, It’s long distance cruiser with zero fatigue for driver and passengers. For city I would advise an automatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate driver View Post
The Hector Diesel is a spacious, comfortable and powerful car. It is meant for highways, though you won't feel it cumbersome to drive in city traffic also. If you are ok with the manual transmission go ahead.

Thank you for your inputs. My driving is mostly between Noida and Greater Noida on the expressway. So, i assume i would be able to achieve a decent mileage.
I found the clutch to be heavy and thats the only concern i have but since i hardly travel in B2B traffic, i think i can make that compomise.
car-dent is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks