Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2021, 14:52   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

Took delivery of our Hector Plus 6 seater Sharp diesel today in Havana Grey colour. (This is a new colour launched by them). The car looks quite nice and elegant in this colour. From booking to delivery it took almost 3.5 months and prices hiked by almost 90k since the booking time. Here are some initial pics from the MG gurgaon flagship showroom while the car was being made ready for delivery.
Very initial oberservations:
The suspension is quite decently tuned for comfort and better on bad roads compared to our compass.
Engine, while being the same 2 L tdci from Fiat sounds milder and more refined (being new as well as bs6 compliant)
Too much tech to do simple things! Just to reduce ac temperature it took us 5 min to figure out. I still prefer the old style buttons!
Still need to figure out how to stop the annoying announcements the GPS lady keep giving - left curve etc.MG Hector : Official Review-img_20211219_110422__01.jpg

MG Hector : Official Review-img_20211219_110357.jpg

Will start my ownership thread after we drive it for a few weeks.
Behemoth is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 18:00   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Took delivery of our Hector Plus 6 seater Sharp diesel today in Havana Grey
Congratulations Behemoth! Do you still have the Compass?
It will be interesting to read your observations/comparison between Hector Plus and Compass. One is a benchmark for handling and is a driver’s delight while other is an out and out comfort oriented car meant to cruise smoothly.
abhi_tjet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 18:12   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of our Hector Plus 6 seater Sharp diesel today in Havana Grey colour.

Attachment 2246868

Will start my ownership thread after we drive it for a few weeks.
Congratulations Behemoth, your Hector looks lovely in this colour. All the best and wish you a happy ownership experience.

In the second picture above with my quoted post it looks as if the front bumper lip is touching the raised platform ahead. Is it really that low and scraping the bumper or just looks that way due to the angle of the shot.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 18:21   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of our Hector Plus 6 seater Sharp diesel today in Havana Grey colour. (This is a new colour launched by them). The car looks quite nice and elegant in this colour. F
Still need to figure out how to stop the annoying announcements the GPS lady keep giving - left curve etc.
Congratulations. The Havana Grey is a good balance between bling and ease of maintenance.

The announcements are annoying and if you do find a solution, please let us know
TSEA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 18:45   #530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Congratulations Behemoth! Do you still have the Compass?
It will be interesting to read your observations/comparison between Hector Plus and Compass. One is a benchmark for handling and is a driver’s delight while other is an out and out comfort oriented car meant to cruise smoothly.
Yes I still have the Compass and that is what I drive these days to my office. The Hector is going to be my wife's regular drive to office (she always gets the new car)
I will drive it more on weekends and outstation drives. In Gurgaon the roads are really bad these days and we felt the need for a softer suspension vehicle as both the Compass and our Laura were vehicles with taut suspension and we could feel every bump on the road. As I drive it more I will do a detailed comparison of the two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Congratulations Behemoth, your Hector looks lovely in this colour. All the best and wish you a happy ownership experience.

In the second picture above with my quoted post it looks as if the front bumper lip is touching the raised platform ahead. Is it really that low and scraping the bumper or just looks that way due to the angle of the shot.

Cheers
Thanks! It does appear low but the number is not too low and while the overhang is long, the ground clearance is decent even for the front part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
Congratulations. The Havana Grey is a good balance between bling and ease of maintenance.

The announcements are annoying and if you do find a solution, please let us know
Thanks! Yes the announcements is the first thing I need to fix! They are pretty loud and useless

Will get to experience the car in the coming weekend. Yesterday was just the drive home and Pooja at the temple. We are also waiting for the permanent regn to happen, after which we will plan some trips.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 18:57   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of our Hector Plus 6 seater Sharp diesel today in Havana Grey colour.
Congratulations Behemoth. Guess a vehicle with a massive boot was always on the cards for you

The color looks great! I have seen a few in that shade in Noida. BTW Noida seems to be the Hector capital of India. Every lane has a few.

Wish you many lakh kms on this beast, and look forward to your ownership thread.

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 20th December 2021 at 18:58.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 08:51   #532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Congratulations Behemoth. Guess a vehicle with a massive boot was always on the cards for you

The color looks great! I have seen a few in that shade in Noida. BTW Noida seems to be the Hector capital of India. Every lane has a few.

Wish you many lakh kms on this beast, and look forward to your ownership thread.
Thanks Achyuta
The heart of the Hector is still that of the Jeep (same engine and gearbox) so that is where my heart is too!

The captain seats, six airbags and spacious boot (for my dog) and great diesel engine is what finally convinced us for the Hector plus. But this is probably the last diesel car we are getting and the next one (maybe in 3-4 years when we replace our Jeep) is going to be an Ev.

Mg has moved on to becoming a significant player after the launch of the Astor and selling now almost 6k cars per month and the sales and service experience they are delivering is pretty good.

Last edited by Behemoth : 21st December 2021 at 08:54.
Behemoth is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 10:22   #533
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the car, behemoth!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
BTW Noida seems to be the Hector capital of India. Every lane has a few.
I know! I see more Hectors here than even the Creta.
But as soon as you leave Noida, it becomes much more exclusive.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st December 2021 at 15:40. Reason: Capitalizing H in Hector. Thanks.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 20:04   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Just switched off all the announcements in the Hector Navigation system. In the maps screen, click the button for settings (right side one which looks like horizontal equalizers)

MG Hector : Official Review-img_20211221_195803.jpg

Next go to Driver assists in next screen

MG Hector : Official Review-img_20211221_195812.jpg

Next to guidance menu and switch everything off.

MG Hector : Official Review-img_20211221_195757.jpg

Also to switch off weather announcements go to the weather app - click settings and switch off weather broadcast.

Last edited by Behemoth : 21st December 2021 at 20:16.
Behemoth is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 12:25   #535
Distinguished - BHPian

For the actual boot space measurements of the Hector Plus (with third row folded), I have updated them on my other thread (measuring the actual boot capacity of your car)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5221136 (Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car)
Old 28th December 2021, 02:09   #536
BHPian

That engine under the bonnet is a 2.0 L Multijet from Fiat and not a TDCi. The TDCi is a proprietary lingo for all things diesel from the house of Ford.

Last edited by Phantom 510 : 28th December 2021 at 02:10.
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 09:16   #537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom 510 View Post
That engine under the bonnet is a 2.0 L Multijet from Fiat and not a TDCi. The TDCi is a proprietary lingo for all things diesel from the house of Ford.
Thanks for the correction. Yes in terms of sourcing, it is the Fiat Multijet (same as our Jeep Compass), but what I meant was Turbo Charged Direct Injected Engine.

In fact on the engine side I noticed that BS6 Adblue (DEF) injection in exhaust does make a huge difference in the exhaust smell and emissions.
In our Jeep Compass (which is BS4), when we cold start the car, it does give a foul smell due to the Nitrous gases. It is difficult to stand behind the car (at least till the engine gets warmed up). Once the engine gets warmed up, the smell reduced substantially.

But in the case of the Hector Plus , the engine has DEF injection so even in Cold start, there is no detectible foul smell and one can stand behind the car without discomfort.

In terms of Torque response, the Bs6 engine in the Hector is tuned more linearly and has less of a spurt when one crosses 1700 rpm. While in the Compass the turbo spurt is felt more strongly.

MG Hector : Official Review-weights.jpg

In terms of Kerb Weight the Compass stands at 1640 kg (unladen) and the Hector Plus 6 seater Diesel is at 1690 Kg (unladen). The weights of both the cars are similar so that should not be a key factor in acceleration feel and it is probably due to the engine tuning torque curve.

On the ground clearance and the approach / departure angles here is some data from the User manual. The GC of the Hector Plus (Diesel) in Laden condition is 175mm, while for the petrol is slighly better at 180mm.

MG Hector : Official Review-hector-specs.jpg

For the Compass (2017) which we have the Approach angle is 16.8 Degrees and the departure angle is 31.7 Degrees. The approach angle is restricted by the front flexible air dam which limits the angle. In fact most of the Compass owners in our NCR group have gotten that air dam removed or replaced by the Air Dam from the new version (which is much smaller).

MG Hector : Official Review-compass-angles.jpg

Last edited by Behemoth : 28th December 2021 at 09:42.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 00:49   #538
BHPian

We took a test drive of the Hector Plus Hybrid Petrol today(earlier TD was of the Diesel), both my parents loved the Captain Seats. The issue was the 3rd row where my wife was sitting due to the SA being with us and she found the 3rd row almost unusable even for short rides, also my mother found the battery under the passenger seat hampering her seating style, so now we are considering the automatic.

Now, my wife will hardly be ever using the 3rd row,but in the oft chance there is a 5th Adult with us(mostly her parents) she will be the one relegated to the 3rd row and hence her concern of the same being unsuitable for an adult to sit for any length of time. We usually do not have anyone else with us but the whole point of a 6 seater is to atleast carry 5 Adults and a child, while the Hector Plus becomes just a 4 seater with that 3rd row.

My question to other owners is what made you choose the Hector Plus over the Hector and why? I am confused as the Captain Seats obviously offer better comfort,but apart from that I don't see any other advantage of the Hector Plus over the Hector atleast for my requirements.

I am also considering the XUV700 but based on the reviews things arent any different with the 3rd row there too.
Old 30th December 2021, 08:10   #539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag08 View Post
We took a test drive of the Hector Plus Hybrid Petrol today(earlier TD was of the Diesel), both my parents loved the Captain Seats. The issue was the 3rd row where my wife was sitting due to the SA being with us and she found the 3rd row almost unusable even for short rides, also my mother found the battery under the passenger seat hampering her seating style, so now we are considering the automatic.
We recently bought a 6 seater Hector plus in Diesel and from our experience the comfort of the captain seats is great. In 90% of the time, we will use it only as a three seater (we are a small family of 3 + 1 dog). Only in 10% cases we may need to use it as a 5/6 seater. In that scenario too it would be used only for short drives (in case of long drives as there is hardly any luggage capacity with all seats up, it would not serve the purpose). In most cars in this segment - Safari, Xuv700 the third row seats are equally bad. Only in case of the Innova (& the Triber ) the third row seats are usable. In most cases sitting in the third row is like a punishment for adults
If you really need a frequent 5 seater, I would recommend you consider the 7 seater Hector Plus instead then as that will allow you to seat 5 in full comfort with full luggage. But what you will lose is that even in the higher variant of the 7 seater it does not come with 6 airbags (it comes with 4 iirc) and a few other things like electric tailgate etc.
Old 30th December 2021, 10:24   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag08 View Post
My question to other owners is what made you choose the Hector Plus over the Hector and why? I am confused as the Captain Seats obviously offer better comfort,but apart from that I don't see any other advantage of the Hector Plus over the Hector atleast for my requirements.
We have a Hector Plus Sharp Hybrid. As you rightly observed, third row of seats is for kids or young adults .

It's better to go for 5 seater if you are going to have 5 adults. Alternatively you can buy the 7 seater variants, however the petrol top variants of hector plus, probably do not come in 7 seater layout. For that you may have to choose the the diesel engine variants.
TSEA is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks