Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2020, 23:04   #331
BHPian

Re: MG Hector : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
We are a long way from breaking Coca Cola bottles on the road and attacking Pan America (some old stories).

Here is some reading material.

chinese-investments-deep-rooted-india
Those examples are not like for like. If Coke & PanAm were Pakistan owned in say 1971 or 1999, sure, they'd be perfect examples to prove your point. But otherwise they're irrelevant to this comparison.

You're mixing up blanket economic protectionism (which I'm NOT advocating) vs geopolitical considerations in dealing with an enemy state.

Let me give you a different example in your response. Korean car maker brands have seen their sales steadily get affected in the Chinese market whenever the Korean peninsula issue & tensions arise. Do you now see what I'm saying?

And thanks for the link. I'm aware of the deep penetration. It actually further highlights my point of why there needs to be an urgent policy rethink.

Anyway, I think we'll agree to disagree. No hard feelings. And sorry for the OT.
digitalnirvana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 09:01   #332
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: No more off-topic posts please. Kindly discuss only the Hector here. Thank you!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 12:22   #333
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine is interested in buying Hector Petrol DCT. So we started researching on the Hector.

One option was to buy a pre-owned Hector. However just checking on OLX, there are about 100+ Hectors of sale. We visited Cars24 which is close to my house, and there were 3 Hectors for sale.

Hector is a year old product, and with so many cars already for re-sale, my friend already has doubts in his mind. Long term reliability is still unknown.

Existing owners can please share their thoughts on reliability, performance, service
& whether Hector is worth buying or to look for some other option.

Is Hector a HIT or a FLOP? Why are so many Hectors already for re-sale?
RM Motorsports is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 12:36   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
A friend of mine is interested in buying Hector Petrol DCT. So we started researching on the Hector.

One option was to buy a pre-owned Hector. However just checking on OLX, there are about 100+ Hectors of sale. We visited Cars24 which is close to my house, and there were 3 Hectors for sale.

Hector is a year old product, and with so many cars already for re-sale, my friend already has doubts in his mind. Long term reliability is still unknown.

Existing owners can please share their thoughts on reliability, performance, service

For a new release, so many cars available for resale is surprising.There have been reports of MG Motors manipulating user reviews available on the internet. However MG can't do anything about cars available for resale.

We have few owners among us who are happy with their cars. I would suggest please reach out to them for a detailed feedback on the car and the experience at the service centers. Also try reaching out to the sellers to see if they share the reason for their early sale.

Each car has a different trait. A lot of us don't know what we want, when we are purchasing a car and then get disappointed when the traits and expectations don't match. I hope most of the resales are cases of buyers' remosrse.

Last edited by ashis89 : 13th August 2020 at 12:38.
ashis89 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 19:53   #335
BHPian

Can someone please confirm if MG is still offering 5 years / unlimited KMs warranty and 5 free services with the Hector?
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 21:39   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

Each car has a different trait. A lot of us don't know what we want, when we are purchasing a car and then get disappointed when the traits and expectations don't match.
Very well said, that actually holds true for non petrolhead car buyers who obviously are a majority.
Quite a few people in my personal and professional circle have “regretted “ their car purchase decisions, 3 of them are Hector owners.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th August 2020 at 03:42. Reason: Fixed on request.
ishlinea7260 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 00:50   #337
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Can someone please confirm if MG is still offering 5 years / unlimited KMs warranty and 5 free services with the Hector?
Yes. 5 years/Unlimited Kms Warranty and 5 Free Services seem to be a part of MG Shield. You can scroll down after clicking this link https://www.mgmotor.co.in/service

Screen shot of MG Shield

MG Hector : Official Review-mg-hector.png
MAS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 12:14   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well I switched from the Honda Civic 8th gen to the Hector Diesel. I wouldn't call it an 'upgrade' as the Civic is in a league of its own. But times change. And the requirement was for a spacious family car and Hector filled that gap pretty well.

The monthly sales figures are there for everyone to see. So they're clearly doing well.

The only reason why a lot of cars are up for resale could be that a lot of buyers are going for the Petrol DCT variant. Almost 51% of the owners are choosing the Petrol variant.
The mileage of the DCT is very poor. As expected from a petrol automatic SUV. That's not going down well with buyers. I see few diesel variants up for sale.
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 15:42   #339
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

This ain't a surprise considering MG is a heavy SUV weighing 1600KG and propelled by a small turbo petrol engine. Majority of the sales of the car from petrol variants- 57:43 in 2019 which was further widened later in favour of the petrol motor.This is a damn strange phenomenon in cars weighing more than 1000-1200kg. I guess the sales took a petrol drive due to the following reasons :

* During the initial months sales & PR team pitched it against the disruption-Kia Seltos, another new entrant with similar powertrains on paper which also had 55:45 sales split for Petrol,Diesel.

*The MG had a huge price advantage around 1.5-2 Lakhs OTR with the petrol motor against the diesel only Harrier & XUV , coupled with lowest interest rates, 100% funding , 8year tenure plans way before the covid and slowdowns, MG was a far better proposal on the discussion tables against another similarly priced rivals, that was smart.

*In some markets where diesels got short operating periods or ban like Delhi-NCR , a BRITISH BRAND, long & spacious car with light controls, well trained sales executives and dominating PR made good numbers.

For FY2020 the diesel sales were like : Harrier-12856 units , XUV-12602 units and Hector-9000 units(approx).

The long term reactions to those smart moves are what we are seeing right now in the used car market . Diesel was the most sensible choice for the car due to the weight , torque & performance but somehow sales response flooded to the petrol.

The real-resale value of MG will be a tough question, forget the OLX valuations there are some factors :

* Single digit fuel efficiency of MG Hector , worse for the DCT variant.
*Long term reliability of the petrol engines, hybrid system,DCT & all those electronic gadgetries.
* Chinese border sentiments.
* Many owners realised their car was designed & developed in China on much later stage, which felt contrasting to the BRITISH brand image sales executive potraited , I know few of those who are already frustrated on this SAIC stamps alone and got a feeling that they were cheated.

There were lot of MG Hectors in OLX 6 months ago, MG PR defended it with a list of Kia Seltos and good number of ads got removed later . Remember the OLX PR stunt during the initial days- MG sold for a margin ? I guess it's back firing now .

If anyone going for a MG Hector, must purchase their 60% value buy back scheme after 3 years , MG shield maintenance package and warranties.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 14th August 2020 at 16:03.
TorqueIndia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 16:23   #340
Senior - BHPian

MG Hector test mules caught in an accident

Thanks to BHPian porsche_guy for sharing this with other enthusiasts!

Quote:
I found this video online which speaks of Hector test mules involved in an accident.

Source
Old 18th August 2020, 14:04   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mod Note: No more off-topic posts please. Kindly discuss only the Hector here. Thank you!
Agreed that the forum is for discussing the merits and drawbacks of the Hector. In my opinion the Country of origin and ownership of automotive companies is very important considering the implications of Chinese economic bullying on India and rest of the world. As an Indian living in Australia, I have noticed how the Chinese Government has banned certain exports from Australia purely to show its economic muscle.
An issue for Indian buyer of the MG Hector could end up with poor resale values because it is a Chinese brand/origin, that is certainly the case here in Australia for made in China vehicles. The company could also get caught up in future India/China trade issues.
Edaks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 14:48   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edaks View Post

poor resale values because it is a Chinese brand/origin, that is certainly the case here in Australia for made in China vehicles. The company could also get caught up in future India/China trade issues.
Australia produces no passenger cars now - I guess that supply chain must have been ruined now. Indian automotive scene is different - it makes little sense to import cars into India therefore Hector is made in India.
Old 18th August 2020, 15:03   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Australia produces no passenger cars now - I guess that supply chain must have been ruined now. Indian automotive scene is different - it makes little sense to import cars into India therefore Hector is made in India.
You are correct and Australia is paying the price for it's lack of foresight. India should protect it's automotive sector while promoting competition and not allow dumping, the Chinese have a simple strategy undercut everyone until the competition is wiped out and then jack up prices. We see it in every sector in Australia.
Coming back to the point is the Hector fully manufactured or assembled in India in such a way as to comply with Indian Regulations? People should be careful of Chinese sourced component's, in my Ford Territory the touch screen failed, and the replacement chinese origin (unknown to me) after market unit "Kayhan" never worked properly from day one.
Old 18th August 2020, 23:05   #344
BHPian

Quote:

Though I am not an existing owner I can assure you number of cars on resale is not a definite way to judge a car.

The primary reason to sell a Hector DCT will be low FE (which your friend must be aware of).
Secondary reasons might be Chinese lineage.
The third might be what ashis89 said as the Hector is a car that suits only a very specific kind of customer.

If there were major reliability issues it would be known by now even if MG tried to curb. They tried to curb the MG Hector fires but it got due attention. So, don't worry about that.

Also, these days you can find new cars with low mileage on sale very quickly within a year. Even the mighty Innova Crysta could not be spared from this phenomenon. Look for Seltos and the likes and you will see same number of listings (A quick glance on showed 91 ads for Hector and 139 for Seltos).

One thing to note is that seltos sold about 3-4 times the Hector and has fewer ads in percentage.

PS: If your friend is really concerned then steer him away from the Hector. Let few examples pass 1,00,000 km and let other models come then only go with a new brand. A new brand is always a question mark.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 18th August 2020 at 23:08.
Old 23rd August 2020, 12:34   #345
Senior - BHPian

The Hector is returning pretty decent mileage figures on my daily Delhi-Gurgaon-Delhi runs.

MG Hector : Official Review-img_20200822_082523.jpg
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks