Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2021, 14:41   #316
BANNED

Re: Maruti XL6 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
Thank you ProcRJ for the quick response - and precise, as ever!

I settled on the manual over the auto as I felt it would serve me better in my frequent excursions to the mountains; else I thought the auto was fairly sorted for a sedate driver like me and would have been a boon for my regular runabouts in the city.

I would advise you to go with the AT for the above highlighted reason alone. The AT should be (as I don't have any experience with the MT XL6) much better than the MT on the hills because of the following reasons:

1.) The Hill-Hold function (exclusive to the AT) is a god sent while resuming from a stop on those steep switchbacks in the hills when traffic comes to halt. It simply eliminates any apprehension which most MT drivers face when stuck at a stand-still on a steep in a loaded car.

2.) The TC gearbox by its nature makes the car feel very torquey when moving from stand-still or at low speeds. This nature makes it very easy to drive in the mountains without excessively gunning the engine (problem with all small NA petrols).

3.) The engine braking is very good when you slot the gearbox into L mode. I HARDLY touched the brakes when descending from Jageshwar Dham back to Nainital. As it is, you cannot travel fast in the hills in the XL6 (too much roll when compared to sedans makes most families feel motion sickness).

Above reasons apart, the AT will provide you a more relaxed cruising experience out on the highway and is safer too as it comes with ESP (which is an extremely important safety aid which most people tend to ignore). Hence, it would make sense for you to change you booking to the Automatic.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 15:22   #317
Senior - BHPian

Bhpian Bunny Punia's review on alloy and tyre upgrade.

@mods - please delete if this has been posted before.

I always felt the XL6 looks best in white color.
rakesh_r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 15:32   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Bhpian Bunny Punia's review on alloy and tyre upgrade.
Looks dope, but what he has seriously missed is the issue of rear wheel scraping the fender. His tyres are flush with the outer cladding, which means the tyres are protruding out of the actual metal fender by atleast an inch. Will scrape for sure(even in video it almost scraped at some instances)

PS: Another issue with this upgrade is that the spare wheel cradle won't be able to hold your wheel in case of puncture. 195/65R15s on stock rim itself is a tight fit.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 12th November 2021 at 15:46. Reason: Adding PS
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 15:46   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Looks dope, but what he has seriously missed is the issue of rear wheel scraping the fender. His tyres are flush with the outer cladding, which means the tyres are protruding out of the actual metal fender by atleast an inch. Will scrape for sure(even in video it almost scraped at some instances).
Yes, i did comment on his video after seeing it. On a different note, the XL6 should have been the ideal Ertiga replacement, wish it came with a Diesel engine.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 12th November 2021 at 15:47.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 16:24   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
I would advise you to go with the AT for the above highlighted reason alone. The AT should be (as I don't have any experience with the MT XL6) much better than the MT on the hills because of the following reasons:

1.) The Hill-Hold function (exclusive to the AT) is a god sent while resuming from a stop on those steep switchbacks in the hills when traffic comes to halt. It simply eliminates any apprehension which most MT drivers face when stuck at a stand-still on a steep in a loaded car.

2.) The TC gearbox by its nature makes the car feel very torquey when moving from stand-still or at low speeds. This nature makes it very easy to drive in the mountains without excessively gunning the engine (problem with all small NA petrols).
I agree that the Hill-Hold function is a boon. As such, the automatic gearbox is pretty versatile. The gear lever has options like '2' to keep the car in second gear or 'L' to keep it in lowest gear for steep inclines. There's also a switch to disable Overdrive, which comes in useful on mild slopes.
Altitude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 21:58   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post

3.) The engine braking is very good when you slot the gearbox into L mode. I HARDLY touched the brakes when descending from Jageshwar Dham back to Nainital. As it is, you cannot travel fast in the hills in the XL6 (too much roll when compared to sedans makes most families feel motion sickness).

Above reasons apart, the AT will provide you a more relaxed cruising experience out on the highway and is safer too as it comes with ESP (which is an extremely important safety aid which most people tend to ignore). Hence, it would make sense for you to change you booking to the Automatic.
Thank you for the extremely valuable inputs regarding the AT's performance around the hills; I should have asked here much before!

I have sounded out the dealer that I may have a change of mind regarding the AT/MT choice by tomorrow morning, and they don't have a problem (I was told a week back when I went for my test drive that a White Zeta AT was available, but I told them I needed some time to decide! Looks like that has been taken.)
Jammy70 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 08:01   #322
Senior - BHPian

New TVC

Old 22nd November 2021, 23:57   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Got the XL6 today...
Congratulation Sir. This is indeed a very good deal and extremely VFM, I have myself made up my mind to go for XL6 but am not getting any offers from any of the dealers here in Noida\Ghaziabad. I have sent you a DM requesting dealer reference if it is ok for you to do so .. TIA
AVL500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 09:33   #324
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Looks dope, but what he has seriously missed is the issue of rear wheel scraping the fender. His tyres are flush with the outer cladding, which means the tyres are protruding out of the actual metal fender by atleast an inch. Will scrape for sure(even in video it almost scraped at some instances)

PS: Another issue with this upgrade is that the spare wheel cradle won't be able to hold your wheel in case of puncture. 195/65R15s on stock rim itself is a tight fit.
No, the tyres don't touch the body at all. I took it to Ladakh as well with good amount of loan inside the car (people, luggage etc) and had no issues on the 3000km trip.
BunnyPunia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 12:35   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
No, the tyres don't touch the body at all. I took it to Ladakh as well with good amount of loan inside the car (people, luggage etc) and had no issues on the 3000km trip.
That's great.

Did you get the opportunity to check if the new wheel fits in your spare wheel area?

Regards,
Shashi
Old 8th December 2021, 22:35   #326
BHPian

Asking for a friend.

Any proper ideas to upgrade stock headlights? My friend finds it challenging to drive in heavy rains. Stock headlights (White) visibility is poor.

TIA
Old 9th December 2021, 21:11   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinDev View Post
Asking for a friend.

Any proper ideas to upgrade stock headlights? My friend finds it challenging to drive in heavy rains. Stock headlights (White) visibility is poor.

TIA
I would be interested in the answer to this as well. The throw of the stock lights is pathetic.

From what I could see on YT videos, the headlights cannot be upgraded, but the fogs can be changed to projectors or even lasers! Is this a good idea? Definitely don't want to blind oncoming traffic.
Old 20th December 2021, 17:11   #328
BHPian

Got to know that my maternal grandparents had booked the XL6 Zeta AT in Magma grey colour on Saturday at a Nexa dealer in Warangal, which is 150 Kms away from Hyderabad.

This will be replacing their 2019 Dzire VXI AMT, which has run around 25k Kms in 2.5 years of ownership. And, I was astonished to know that the Nexa dealer has offered 7L for the Dzire in exchange with XL6 and as told by my grandfather, he had paid the difference amount it seems since he is not purchasing the new car on loan.

The reason for purchasing XL6 is my grandfather wanted a car with higher GC (due to his height) and better comfort as he found Dzire is too cramped for his height.

Expecting the car to be delivered in another 10 days as there is no stock available right now.

Will post the review along with the pictures of the car soon.
car_guy1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 18:18   #329
HTC
BHPian

Is XL6 the "Dark Horse" - The Innova Killer?

There is no denying that Innova is exorbitantly priced and Indians are very much price sensitive. We tend to overlook few aspects if the product screams 'VFM'. Looking at how well it is priced to what it has to offer for the price point, more and more Innova customers would consider and even buy XL6.

Curious to know if any such survey or analysis between XL6 vs Innova has been conducted.
Old 24th December 2021, 17:16   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Got to know that my maternal grandparents had booked the XL6 Zeta AT in Magma grey colour on Saturday at a Nexa dealer in Warangal, which is 150 Kms away from Hyderabad.
Guess what, even in our extended family we welcomed a Magma Grey Zeta Automatic. The intended user shuffled his choice between XL6 Zeta MT, Innova Crysta GX AT before finally going for the Zeta AT.

Color choice: He always prefers White but this was the only shade available.

Why Automatic: He liked the Autobox, isn't as bad as it's presented in reviews, and being automatic, his better half would be able to drive it as well.

Why not the Crysta: Historically, they have been a loyal Toyota customer. Qualis, Innova, Crysta, Yaris, Glanza, they have owned it all. But he wasn't happy with the rising maintenance costs of Toyota and it's dealers fleecing mindlessly, plus DPF woes is something he has grown tired of. XL6 fulfills all his needs at half the price, thus he couldn't refuse the value proposition.

PDI: He requested me to check the car before it's sent for registration. Everything was clean except for the fact that it was a 30th July 2021 Manufactured car, and has been lying at Dealer Yard since mid August. We checked the car thoroughly and didn't find anything wrong on the outside.

My cousin was in no mood to wait for difference piece, since that would have meant bearing the price hike.

Pics:

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20211224_142925.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20211224_144043.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20211224_144152.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20211224_144231.jpg

Checked the paint all around for consistency:

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20211224_144417.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20211224_144445.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20211224_144650.jpg

Next to my XL6 :

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20211224_144735.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20211224_144745.jpg