Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2023, 22:42   #421
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashief View Post
Hi BHPians - For the 1st time I connected USB drive and played music in OEM head-unit, to my surprise I don’t find a pause/play button in the screen. Is this feature omitted or am I missing something? Looking for suggestions.

Thanks!
Which model do you have? If it is ‘V’, then use the physical number buttons (1,2,3 & so on) to perform different actions like pause, play, repeat, etc.
Old 1st November 2023, 12:49   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
Which model do you have? If it is ‘V’, then use the physical number buttons (1,2,3 & so on) to perform different actions like pause, play, repeat, etc.
It’s is ZX model. This particular feature is missing only when music played through thumb drive.
Old 3rd January 2024, 12:33   #423
BHPian

Hi all,

I am facing a peculiar issue and will try to explain here.*

I own a V - CVT, 2019 Model and of late have been feeling that the car sways like a boat on rough roads, especially*on slow speeds <30kmps.

Car is rock solid on high speeds and smooth roads.

Also, while parking in my office basement with concrete floor, I can feel the car:
1-* Wobbles & sways gently (maybe due to uneven flooring, but I didn’t notice this much sensitivity to flooring in other cars.
2- While reversing of moving*forward with a fully rotated*steering (left or right), It feels that the movement is not smooth & the car is reluctant to move forward, as if the car tyre is moving over a small stone or a pebble.

What could be the reason or what should I check?

Requesting Civic owners to consciously check this on their cars and confirm if this normal?
Old 5th April 2024, 16:44   #424

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
Hi all,

I am facing a peculiar issue and will try to explain here.*

I own a V - CVT, 2019 Model and of late have been feeling that the car sways like a boat on rough roads, especially*on slow speeds <30kmps.

Car is rock solid on high speeds and smooth roads.

Also, while parking in my office basement with concrete floor, I can feel the car:
1-* Wobbles & sways gently (maybe due to uneven flooring, but I didn’t notice this much sensitivity to flooring in other cars.
2- While reversing of moving*forward with a fully rotated*steering (left or right), It feels that the movement is not smooth & the car is reluctant to move forward, as if the car tyre is moving over a small stone or a pebble.

What could be the reason or what should I check?

Requesting Civic owners to consciously check this on their cars and confirm if this normal?
Haven't felt this on my car. However civic has a very stiff setup and even small bumps can be felt. But from what you're saying it could be an tyre or suspension issue. Get it checked at Honda for peace of mind. My car doesn't feel reluctant at all based on steering inputs.
xxhtxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 17:27   #425

Hi Guys, just a status update. Got the Left Engine Mount of my Civic VX 2019 replaced in Warranty. The engine bay was producing very heavy Thud when accelerating from standstill. After 2 hours of diagnosis and several hundreds of nuts tightened, they came to the conclusion of faulty engine mount. The car has covered 65,800KMs and I think the Mount went bad pretty soon. The part had to be placed on order since Civic's parts are not readily available at Honda Workshops (For my parking sensors, it took about 2 weeks for the parts to arrive, even then the parts did not arrive at the workshop, so they had to replace my sensors with SKU of White Civic (they had it repainted after taking approval from Honda as the part for my Red car would take another Month if placed on order).

Luckily, I had just purchased Honda Anytime warranty for 6th Year with this car in April. Otherwise, the cost of replacing it would have been approximately 13K with labour (New Civic's Left mounting costs 9,050 + labour).

Coincidentally, two problems suddenly emerged right after purchasing 6th year warranty. First, 3 of the rear parking sensors went Kaput, then the Engine Mounting went bad (rubber inside broke). I paid about 22K for the Warranty Extension for 6th year, while have recovered about 19K (13K for Engine Mount + 6K for Parking sensor replacement).

With this post, I would like to highlight the importance of going for Extended Warranty especially with cars crossing 5 Years+. Since Honda is the only manufacturer that offers it for 10 Years, it becomes a no-brainer especially for a car with very expensive Spare parts like the Civic.

I would like to sincerely thank Cherish Honda Mangolpuri, Delhi. They presently are the best in Delhi in terms of Honda Aftersales service.

Also sharing pictures of my car and part replaced for reference.

Honda Civic : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240503-16.43.15.jpeg

Honda Civic : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240503-16.44.52.jpeg

Not the prettiest scene to look at afterall. :cry:

Honda Civic : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240503-17.15.06.jpeg

Cheers,
Mudit

Last edited by muditseh : 3rd May 2024 at 17:51.
muditseh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 15:46   #426
Senior - BHPian

Guess even the previous gen Civic had issues with engine mounts for most owners. Guess the next gen possibly didn't improve much though this is among the first cases read here but the car hardly sold as well.
Old 24th May 2024, 14:46   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muditseh View Post
).

With this post, I would like to highlight the importance of going for Extended Warranty especially with cars crossing 5 Years+. Since Honda is the only manufacturer that offers

Cheers,
Mudit
Thanks for sharing the story, really helpful to understand continuing the extended warranty.
shubham322000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 18:47   #428

Hi Mudit, thanks sharing the post. I do own 2020 zx cvt too. My car is only driven about 12-3k km. I've bought the extentded warranty for until the 5th year. For me I haven't faced any issue with car yet. I do still own an 8th gen 2009 civic too, and these engine mounts were a Common issue. Yes the spares a very expensive, I would buy the 6 th year warranty too after hearing your story.
Since you have put down about 65k km, are there some more insights you can share throughout your ownership. Since there not much people who have owned this car it would insightfull.
xxhtxx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 17:33   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxhtxx View Post
Hi Mudit, thanks sharing the post. I do own 2020 zx cvt too. My car is only driven about 12-3k km. I've bought the extentded warranty for until the 5th year. For me I haven't faced any issue with car yet. I do still own an 8th gen 2009 civic too, and these engine mounts were a Common issue. Yes the spares a very expensive, I would buy the 6 th year warranty too after hearing your story.
Since you have put down about 65k km, are there some more insights you can share throughout your ownership. Since there not much people who have owned this car it would insightfull.
Hi there,

Thanks for reading my comment. My car has completed over 66K KMs as we speak. I can share some insights, if not much from my ownership experience so far:
- The ride is stiff (being an owner of City 5th Gen as well), compared to the City which is so plush, Civic makes you feel even the mildest of bumps on the road. Not as much stiff to make you uncomfortable, but in comparison to my City, it is. But that greatly rewards in terms of handling and stability. While City feels like a Boat, this is a tank.

- Talking about stability, the more you push it, the more it rewards. Oh boy, the way it handles and the more speed you gain, the more it sticks to the ground. There is no nervousness of any sort in high speed driving with some serious 3-digit speeds.

- All 4 discs certainly reward. My stock brake pads lasted 60K+KMs while rear pads are still stock even at 66K. Though the pads are quite expensive, they give a long long life. It might vary for you as mine has been driven 60-70% on Highways. And the brakes are very very surefooted. They stop the car on tap and are very confidence inspiring.

- The build quality (touchwood), its a tank and is built like one. Compared to the City which feels like a toy in terms of plastic quality, this one is very solidly built. The doors are so heavy, one mistakes it for being jammed due to poor lubrication. And you feel really safe inside one even when pushing hard. You can compare the quality of parts to an over 40L car for sure.

- The 1.8 i-VTEC paired with the CVT is a hit or miss. Sometimes it feels enthusiastic, other times, it is lazy. It has a mind of its own it seems, when delivering power through the step CVT tranny. On 50% throttle, it performs its best. Floor it any further, the CVT will start shedding tears really soon. The CVT whine is very noticeable when driving hard especially in manual mode.

- Mileage is decent, I manage between 9-11KMPL in city while around 16KMPL on highways (no complaints on this front).

- Ground clearance is surprisingly good for such a long wheelbase. I have scraped the bottom of my City several times, but this car rarely scrapes (provided you also are a bit careful on breakers).

- I feel the design of headlights could have been better. The throw is just above average. I have tried several brands of LED Headlight kits, but it isnt satisfactory. I have the VX variant, not sure about the top end trim with stock LED array.

- The ingress is difficult especially for middle aged people. Some might feel claustrophobia while sitting at the rear (the legroom is massive though) because the window glass is positioned slightly above your eye level when sitting in resting position.

- The seat height adjustment could be better, even at highest setting, you have to drive it with an estimation as the bonnet area isnt visible (I'm 5'9" for reference).

- The stock Hankook tires were trash, so I upgraded to Michelin Pilot Sport 3s a few years ago.

- No major issues apart from the ones I highlighted in the previous comment. I just get it serviced once an year and it does it's duty well. (I hope it stays this way for another 10 years).

- Just make sure to change the Transmission fluid every 20K KMs or every second service to avoid being involved in the typical CVT failure horror stories.

- Spare Parts are on the expensive side, and the cons of keeping a discontinued car are very apparent when going to the service centre for repairs. The service centre do not keep much spares of the Civic in stock and they almost always need to place order as these cars are very rare in service centres, so they do not stock spares. Also even when they are sharing parts with the City or are of similar spec, the prices are almost 1.5-2X. For reference, front pads will cost you close to 7K while for the new City, they cost about 4.5K. The rear pads are even more expensive at about 9K.

- The praise that you get from the car's design is just something else. This car is a head turner, even in 2024. Im sometimes glad it is rare and wasn't sold as exhaustively like the Cretas of the world. You see them very often and it loses its appeal even when it costs 20 big ones. The pride of seeing a rare car on road is something else.

That's mostly about it. I will comment again if I think of anything else. Happy Motoring!!
muditseh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 18:05   #430
BHPian

Hi fellow Civic owners -

Have you guys upgraded the stock tyres on your cars? Mine are making a lot of noise especially on concrete roads as they get old (I have the 215/50/R 17s, Yokohama Advan DB). Has changing your stock tyres made a difference? If yes, which ones did you opt for?

Also has anyone upgraded the stock speakers? Which brands would you recommend?

Edit: I was reading some of the commentary on the design of the car in the initial parts of the thread. I guess it’s easier to impress Jos Verstappen and John Cena (owners of the 10th Gen Civic Type R) than it is to impress some members of this esteemed forum.

Last edited by andafunda : 27th June 2024 at 18:31.
Old 7th July 2024, 16:08   #431
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muditseh View Post
Hi there,

- Just make sure to change the Transmission fluid every 20K KMs or every second service to avoid being involved in the typical CVT failure horror stories.

That's mostly about it. I will comment again if I think of anything else. Happy Motoring!!
Hi, Who recommended this CVT fluid change for you?
Whats the service manual interval for Honda CVT, IIRC its 40K km in a dusty environment.

Also I never heard any horror stories on Honda CVTs, only things heard are of using wrong fluids at service centres. CVT failure stories are linked to Nissan & JATCO, never heard that for Honda.
Old 11th July 2024, 20:17   #432

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Hi, Who recommended this CVT fluid change for you?
Whats the service manual interval for Honda CVT, IIRC its 40K km in a dusty environment.

Also I never heard any horror stories on Honda CVTs, only things heard are of using wrong fluids at service centres. CVT failure stories are linked to Nissan & JATCO, never heard that for Honda.
Hello there, This recommended CVT fluid change is as per Honda manual which states 2 years or 20K KMs whichever is earlier. However, in traffic plagued regions like India, to prevent excessive wear and tear, I would myself practice replacing CVT oil at around 14-15K KMs to be safe.

Since CVT Civic is so rare in India, the CVT failures are never heard of. But, there are a lot of horror stories for Civic X in Pakistan, ranging from Transmission slippage to belt breakage. However as a benefit of doubt some of the cases can be because of people trying to remap their CVT Civics (Turbo and NA) and the transmission not being able to handle excess power.

That being said, Honda CVTs are next to Toyota in terms of reliability, Toyota being the best in business.

But, I once had a small chat with a spare parts personnel from Honda service and he mentioned that the CVT transmission, if broken (although rarely heard of at Honda India) cannot be repaired. It needs to be replaced only. Replacement transmission alone costs Rs. 3.75 Lacs from Honda (which is costlier than the engine block and components costing ~ 2.8 lacs for 1.8 i-Vtec) + Labour charges. He showed me the price list on his system for each component.

So, keeping that in mind, I think a little more love to your beloved wouldn't harm.

Cheers!
muditseh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 08:45   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
Hi fellow Civic owners -

Have you guys upgraded the stock tyres on your cars? Mine are making a lot of noise especially on concrete roads as they get old (I have the 215/50/R 17s, Yokohama Advan DB). Has changing your stock tyres made a difference? If yes, which ones did you opt for?
I am also thinking of changing my stock tyres. Thinking of Michelin Primacy 4 ST. Also is there any issue if 215/50/R 17 is changed to 215/55/ R17. Primary objective is to get something much quieter and more comfortable with required durability.
Old 14th July 2024, 08:54   #434
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzwithme View Post
Also is there any issue if 215/50/R 17 is changed to 215/55/ R17.
Use online "tyre upsize calculator" and check:
http://tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm

Honda Civic : Official Review-screenshot_1.jpg

Looks like you need to opt for a tyre with lesser width if you want higher profile.

Last edited by SmartCat : 14th July 2024 at 09:10.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 09:58   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Use online "tyre upsize calculator" and check:
http://tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm

Attachment 2627015

Looks like you need to opt for a tyre with lesser width if you want higher profile.
Thanks. This helps.

Any recommendation of some thing better than Yokohama Advance db?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks