Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2022, 16:35   #1366
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Hi. Please could Harrier owners from Pune advise on the quality of the FCA diesel engine, After sales service including service center expertise among the Tata dealers in Pune?

I would like to know if the TASS is any better than Jeep/FCA sales and service as I am contemplating on buying a Harrier in the near future.

Since numerous issues are being reported on Jeeps stalling, horrible RSA and of course the infamous sole service center in Pune, including my own buying and service center experience , I am wondering if Tata would provide a better experience in terms of service and servicing of the car. Basically I am looking for a hassle free ownership where I can get a peace of mind that my car won't be tampered with every time it comes out of the service center.

My queries are:

1. Are there any problems regarding reliability or failures in the FCA sourced 2.0 diesel engine/gearbox /clutch itself?

2. Any particular dealers to avoid?

3. How are the service personnel in regards to customer treatment, knowledge and professionalism?

4. Space inside the service center. Is there a lot of cramming of cars, reckless manoeuvring of cars within the service centre that has resulted in damage to customer vehicles?

5. Are parts readily available in case of damage or the need for replacement?

6. Finally about the car itself as a product. Is the left pulling still happening in most harriers?
Old 24th August 2022, 11:37   #1367
BHPian

Tata motors teased a new Suv ,a Harrier - Safari facelift or petrol version.

Link :

Old 28th August 2022, 09:11   #1368
MaG
BHPian

Hi,

I own a May 2021 XZA Harrier. I bought it from Saibaba Automotives, Kalewadi showroom.

1) The engine is very responsive across all speeds/gears. No feel of power lag at any time. I’ve driven more than 22000 kms.

2) I would recommend Saibaba in terms of their overall service, sales executive behaviour, their approachability, professionalism. The service guys to acknowledge the issues whenever I point out and are happy to get them resolved without any fuss.

3) The only negative is their cramped space. They do have additional space near to the showroom however even that is always full. While tata sales have rocketed, their showrooms and service centres haven’t in terms of space availability. But, I haven’t noticed any recklessness from their employees in maneuvering the vehicles.

4) All spares are available in a reasonable time and I haven’t faced any delays as such.

5) The car as a package is certainly worth the money.

6) Jeep Compass is a much finessed product, however the owning cost and cost of service is a bomb compared to Tata.

7) My second car is a Maruti Suzuki and I’m directly comparing their service to Tata’s. Tata showrooms are definitely yet to reach maruti level service centres but I assume it’s a work in progress.

What could be better:

1) Paint quality certainly needs to be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
Hi. Please could Harrier owners from Pune advise on the quality of the FCA diesel engine, After sales service including service center expertise among the Tata dealers in Pune?

I would like to know if the TASS is any better than Jeep/FCA sales and service as I am contemplating on buying a Harrier in the near future.

Since numerous issues are being reported on Jeeps stalling, horrible RSA and of course the infamous sole service center in Pune, including my own buying and service center experience , I am wondering if Tata would provide a better experience in terms of service and servicing of the car. Basically I am looking for a hassle free ownership where I can get a peace of mind that my car won't be tampered with every time it comes out of the service center.

My queries are:

1. Are there any problems regarding reliability or failures in the FCA sourced 2.0 diesel engine/gearbox /clutch itself?

2. Any particular dealers to avoid?

3. How are the service personnel in regards to customer treatment, knowledge and professionalism?

4. Space inside the service center. Is there a lot of cramming of cars, reckless manoeuvring of cars within the service centre that has resulted in damage to customer vehicles?

5. Are parts readily available in case of damage or the need for replacement?

6. Finally about the car itself as a product. Is the left pulling still happening in most harriers?
MaG is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 18:21   #1369
BHPian

I am considering buying a new car and the Harrier is on my shortlist. I will appreciate if Hyderabad members can recommend a Tata Motors dealer based in Hyderabad or Secunderabad. I am particularly interested in the dealer's for after sales service facilities, given the reports that there aren't adequate number of service centres.
Old 17th September 2022, 18:23   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
I am considering buying a new car and the Harrier is on my shortlist. I will appreciate if Hyderabad members can recommend a Tata Motors dealer based in Hyderabad or Secunderabad. I am particularly interested in the dealer's for after sales service facilities, given the reports that there aren't adequate number of service centres.
In Secunderabad there are two dealers, Orange at karkhana and Mallik Motors Bowenpally. While Mallik has been there since long but orange are quite new and I heard their sales and service experience is much better.

Do check both of them. Advance wishes on your Harriet
Abhi_abarth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 18:41   #1371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
In Secunderabad there are two dealers, Orange at karkhana and Mallik Motors Bowenpally. While Mallik has been there since long but orange are quite new and I heard their sales and service experience is much better.

Do check both of them. Advance wishes on your Harriet
The Orange dealer at Karkhana is located closer to where I reside than Mallik Motors. But I have been put off mainly by the size of the place that formerly housed a Croma showroom. Maybe, the service centre of Orange is located elsewhere.

However, as you suggest, I will check out both dealers.
Zezé is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 19:02   #1372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
The Orange dealer at Karkhana is located closer to where I reside than Mallik Motors. But I have been put off mainly by the size of the place that formerly housed a Croma showroom. Maybe, the service centre of Orange is located elsewhere.

However, as you suggest, I will check out both dealers.
One more dealer is Select Motors ( formerly Concorde Motors), Alkapuri, L B Nagar. Their service station is in Uppal. I had been to the Concorde Service Station a number of times for my Zest but now they have shifted location to nearby place in Uppal. I have not been to this new place.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 15:45   #1373
BHPian

Tata Harrier rusting issue.

One of the early customers of Tata Harrier shares photos of his SUV which is battling huge rusting issues.
Credit : Rushlane
Mods : Please delete or move to relevant thread if necessary

Tata Harrier : Official Review-20220922_154250.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-20220922_154248.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-20220922_154245.jpg
BrokenHW is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 14:44   #1374
BHPian

Harrier Modifications Done Right

I am in no second thought of letting go of my lemon Harrier 2019 model BS4 since I have decided to continue with it for as long as possible and take control of the maintenance with ASS (as long as it is under warranty period) and with an FNG, once the warranty expires (since I have access to a few professional FNG's in my place). Not letting go of course, primarily because of my financial constraints, my strong attitude that "I can fix anything as long as it is man-made" and finally it's a BS4 diesel (I know what is the demand for BS4 diesel cars due to its sheer simplicity and ease of maintenance compared to BS6).

I have now given my car a Stage 1+ remap from one of the most reputed professional experts in India, which significantly increases the power and torque numbers. In fact, we tried 2-3 variations of remap for the reasons mentioned below.

However, I am in a dilemma for a few things that I need our community's input for

1. There is a difference in acceleration and low-end pickup post remap. However, I see no difference in the top end. With the help of a larger turbo, the top end can be increased to a great extent. But my doubt is if I put a larger turbo, will the low-end not get affected? It's like this - stock turbo after remap - no difference in the top end and good difference in the low and mid-range. Larger turbo - no low end but increased performance in the mid and top range. How can this be solved?
2. Is it worth upgrading to a performance filter (like BMW, K&N, or anything else) to enhance anything in the top range without affecting the improved low and mid-range?
3. How effective are installing sway bars in a car like Harrier to improve handling and reduce rollover?
4. Will the upgrades like performance spark plugs, stiffened suspension (already harrier's suspension is on the stiffer side), 1 size bigger rims with better tyres (stock comes with 17" rims with Goodyear Wrangler tyres - 235/65/R17), do any improvement in the drivability, handling and performance? If yes, how significant is the change?

I don't want to go with a more aggressive tune (Stage 2 or more). I just want to extract the maximum out of the current stage 1+ with appropriate and reliable hardware upgrades for a significantly improved enthusiastic drive.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 16:34   #1375
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Harrier Modifications Done Right

1. We need low end response most of the time, since that is where the action is. Why do you want top-end response ? Do you want to go faster ?

IMO, skip the top-end changes also because the remap can be simpler by focussing on where most of the driving happens - i.e., low and mid-range. And you also say you dont want to with Stage 2

Trying a larger turbo can cause things to go awry. Let the current turbo do it's job.

2. No to performance filters. We have enough discussions that these are more placebo than actual action.

4. Sparkplugs ? These are for petrols. Not for your harrier.

4a. Ride is better on 16" rims, a little less on 17", lesser on 18". Also cost of tyres increases with increasing size. So here too, stick to 16" or max 17".

My points, esp 1 above is more from a common-sense approach. Experts can provide more qualified inputs on that.

Here's wishing you the best with resolving the problems. Yes, BS4 gave the balance of simplicity with clean emissions. Try hold on to this as long as you can.
condor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 16:35   #1376
Distinguished - BHPian

If the tuner has made it respond better at lower engine speeds, that in itself is an improvement . At this point if the car is running well, I would leave it as is but with Mods, there is often no end to the story.

I do not remember seeing a rear sway bar in the Safari, I would guess its the same in Harrier as well. The suspension set up may not need a sway bar in the rear, front end has it of course.

Since your tyres are perhaps a bit worn out, a new set of tyres along with an upsized alloy will certainly improve the road manners and looks too.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 19:52   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
1. There is a difference in acceleration and low-end pickup post remap. However, I see no difference in the top end. With the help of a larger turbo, the top end can be increased to a great extent. But my doubt is if I put a larger turbo, will the low-end not get affected? It's like this - stock turbo after remap - no difference in the top end and good difference in the low and mid-range. Larger turbo - no low end but increased performance in the mid and top range. How can this be solved?
A bigger turbo requires more energy to spool up thus you will get improved performance in the higher rpms but reduced drive-ability in the low rpms. Perhaps a twin turbo setup could be considered (one small and one large) if the internals can handle it and if there's enough space in the engine bay.
Quote:
2. Is it worth upgrading to a performance filter (like BMW, K&N, or anything else) to enhance anything in the top range without affecting the improved low and mid-range?
A high flow filter will not be able to filter out as many airborne impurities as your stock filter and in this day and age of excessive urban development and dusty road conditions in our country, I'd advise against it.
Quote:
3. How effective are installing sway bars in a car like Harrier to improve handling and reduce rollover?
The Harrier already has a tall center of gravity IMO sway bars will reduce the progression of weight shift between maximum lean and a rollover (car could snap out of control giving you less time to react). So I would advise installing them with caution (check for different levels of rigidity and judge for yourself what works best) at the end of the day chassis flex is also an important quotient to grip especially in less than ideal traction conditions such as in the rain. Lowered suspension can be looked into though.
Quote:
4. Will the upgrades like performance spark plugs, stiffened suspension (already harrier's suspension is on the stiffer side), 1 size bigger rims with better tyres (stock comes with 17" rims with Goodyear Wrangler tyres - 235/65/R17), do any improvement in the drivability, handling and performance? If yes, how significant is the change?
Bigger rims I would only recommend if you can find ones that are bigger than stock but weigh the same if not slightly lighter as otherwise with the bigger rims and larger tyres, you will be looking at increased rotating unsprung mass which will lead to steering inputs and throttle inputs feeling sluggish as the car will not feel as light on its feet anymore. Not to mention extra stresses on the suspension as well as the mounting points and all related hardware that may not be designed to cope with the greater load of rotating mass.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 23rd September 2022 at 19:55.
IshaanIan is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 20:17   #1378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How effective are installing sway bars in a car like Harrier to improve handling and reduce rollover?
I am no Guru, but I faintly remember reading somewhere on the forum that products like Rogerab help with the vehicle behaviour quoted above. The following threads might have more info on it.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ension-43.html (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...earance-5.html (Increasing the Ground Clearance)

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 23rd September 2022 at 20:18.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 22:28   #1379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Do you want to go faster ?
Yes thats my requirement also. Trying to achieve top end with much lesser engine strain. I can still do it now, but the engine screams with hardware limitations while I am also trying to get the maximum out of the remap.

Quote:
And you also say you don't want to with Stage 2
I don't want to go with more aggressive tuning since it requires significant hardware upgrades as well. This car is my daily use, while aggressive tunings are generally meant for occasional/fun time use.

Quote:
Trying a larger turbo can cause things to go awry. Let the current turbo do it's job.
The only downside I see going for a larger turbo is that the low end will be affected significantly. And marginal effect on the mid range as well.

Quote:
2. No to performance filters. We have enough discussions that these are more placebo than actual action.
I take it this way - performance filters can enhance the performance, however if it is done as a package (along with the upgraded turbos, intake valves, injectors, suspension, etc). This is what I want to clarify whether can I just go ahead with just filter upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I do not remember seeing a rear sway bar in the Safari, I would guess its the same in Harrier as well. The suspension set up may not need a sway bar in the rear, front end has it of course.
Thats my point here. Installing a sway bar will definitely improve the handling and reduce the body-roll. But it is worth and advisable for a car like Harrier is my question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Perhaps a twin turbo setup could be considered (one small and one large) if the internals can handle it and if there's enough space in the engine bay.
Space is not a constraint. But adding a second turbo will be too complex. And of course it demands a lot of other hardware upgrades as well which will be more more aggressive. Since this is my daily driver, I don't want to go with an aggressive tuning/modification.

Quote:
A high flow filter will not be able to filter out as many airborne impurities as your stock filter and in this day and age of excessive urban development and dusty road conditions in our country, I'd advise against it.
Yes it makes sense.

Quote:
The Harrier already has a tall center of gravity IMO sway bars will reduce the progression of weight shift between maximum lean and a rollover (car could snap out of control giving you less time to react). So I would advise installing them with caution (check for different levels of rigidity and judge for yourself what works best) at the end of the day chassis flex is also an important quotient to grip especially in less than ideal traction conditions such as in the rain.
But isn't that the purpose of a sway bar - to reduce the flexibility and body-roll?

Quote:
Lowered suspension can be looked into though.
But this will reduce the GC as well which defeats the purpose of a SUV. However, I am trying to find a balance here. I don't mind lowering the suspension as long as it meet my expectations on both ends and without much of a compromise.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 23:06   #1380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thats my point here. Installing a sway bar will definitely improve the handling and reduce the body-roll. But it is worth and advisable for a car like Harrier is my question?
The rear suspension design in itself may not need an additional sway bar, I think even Duster does not have it on the 2WD version, as long as you stay within its limits , it does just fine.

Making changes to the suspension is possible however who would test its limits? How will it behave during an emergency maneuver?

These are things you could risk on a project car but not a daily driver. The easiest upgrade to the driving dynamics at this point would be a new set of tyres.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks