Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2021, 14:30   #391
BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Yaris can never be an able replacement for a Tjet. Infact there is a thread with a member asking advise on replacement of his Linea Tjet. I don't think anyone in that thread would have bought Yaris into contention. The only decent replacement for Tjet in similar price range is the Vento/Rapid TSI MT. It won't be as fun as the Linea however it's best among all other sedans under 10 L (ex showroom)
Yaris is a good chauffer driven car. It's perfect for an individual who wants a pleasant ownership experience at a low cost. It is no where near fun to drive and feels like a boat. However, you will have a trouble free long ownership experience with Yaris especially with one of the best after sales service experience with Toyota.
Understood your point VWAlstar. I know the Tjet is a hard car to replace unless I start looking at cars with on-road price of 20 lakhs+. I definitely don't have plans of spending that much amount on a depreciating asset. So I am just queueing some options which would come close to my budget with decent safety features when the time for change comes. Right now Skoda Rapid and Yaris made it to that list.

Last edited by gopikb : 18th March 2021 at 14:32.
Old 18th March 2021, 14:43   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Understood your point VWAlstar. I know the Tjet is a hard car to replace unless I start looking at cars with on-road price of 20 lakhs+. I definitely don't have plans of spending that much amount on a depreciating asset. So I am just queueing some options which would come close to my budget with decent safety features when the time for change comes. Right now Skoda Rapid and Yaris made it to that list.
For me safety features with 7 airbags, ABS/EBD/BA, service, build quality, rear seat space ( rapid/vento are really cramped), IR reducing glass and Toyota reliability sealed the deal. This is a car you buy with your head and not heart. Biggest grouse - no telescopic steering. Makes adjusting the driving position a wee bit tough (I am 6'1" and heavy set)
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 23:15   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
feels like a boat.
Totally disagree with your statement. I never felt Yaris like a boat over my 10K of driving.

Quoting from our official review regarding Yaris ride and handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
At highway speeds, the ride is again very mature. There is no wallowing or bouncing experienced while tackling road irregularities or undulations. Rough patches and potholes are handled with aplomb - you won't even be slowing down for rough patches at speed. This high speed ride quality is definitely one of the strong points of the Yaris.

At triple digits, the Yaris feels planted and there is no sign of any nervousness (Japanese cars have come a long way!).
Simhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 09:00   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Totally disagree with your statement. I never felt Yaris like a boat over my 10K of driving.
Ok, then my experience of driving a Yaris for a mere 350 KMs -Mumbai - Pune- Mumbai has been otherwise. May be my observation was based out of a comparison with me driving the Figo S quite often. Another could be the Yaris I drove had improper tyre pressure. However, I feel it's still a country miles away from tjet's handling and composure.

When I said it feels like a Boat, I meant it has considerable body roll during sharp turns. Yaris takes a lot more of steering angle to take the same turn. Yaris may be comfortable over bad roads but definitely does not hug the roads like many other capable handlers like Linea and Rapid.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 10:37   #395
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
For a fiat mjd user one car that can give smile is Ecosport TDCI S variant including peace of mind for maintenance costs. It is indeed an almost there fiat replacement in most fronts. But for replacing that steering, brakes and 1.4 tjet package then I think you will be disappointed with market offerings for sure.

Last edited by KPR : 19th March 2021 at 10:39.
Old 22nd March 2021, 20:18   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
For a fiat mjd user one car that can give smile is Ecosport TDCI S variant including peace of mind for maintenance costs. It is indeed an almost there fiat replacement in most fronts. But for replacing that steering, brakes and 1.4 tjet package then I think you will be disappointed with market offerings for sure.

I owned the Ritz diesel that had the same engine as the Punto Diesel. The one great thing about the diesel mill is the excellent low end grunt. The S-cross petrol has excellent low end grunt as well that you will enjoy
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 21:29   #397
Senior - BHPian

I was doing a comparison between on road prices (Kerala) of Yaris Manual and Automatic.

J OPT: Manual - 10.76 Lakhs, CVT - 11.56 Lakhs, Difference - 0.8 Lakhs INR
G OPT: Manual - 11.61 Lakhs, CVT - 13.47 Lakhs, Difference - 1.86 Lakhs INR
V OPT dual tone: Manual - 14.80 Lakhs, CVT - 16.20 Lakhs, Difference - 1.4 Lakhs INR

Assuming that everything else is the same for Manual Vs Automatic, why is there so much price difference across variants?
Automatic is just 80,000 more for the J variant, but 1.86 Lakhs more for the G variant!
A clever marketing strategy?

Last edited by jinojohnt : 25th March 2021 at 21:31.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 10:57   #398
BHPian

Hi,
I'm being offered a Toyota Yaris G 2018 with a reading of 9200 in Odo. Dealer is asking 8.85 Lakhs which I believe can be negotiated to 8.5 Lakhs.
The service history has been checked and is found to be okay.

Please let me know your opinion on this deal.
Old 29th March 2021, 11:29   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionforcars View Post
Hi,
I'm being offered a Toyota Yaris G 2018 with a reading of 9200 in Odo. Dealer is asking 8.85 Lakhs which I believe can be negotiated to 8.5 Lakhs.
You have not specified your city and neither the variant offered - is it MT or CVT?

In 2018, the OTR price of the G variant (without discount) in Pune was 13 Lacs for MT and 14.4 for the CVT. Considering completion of three years, we should account for 40% depreciation and price should be in range of 7.8lacs to 8.65lacs. On top of it, Yaris is not selling like hot cakes and is considered a flop model. So you should be able to negotiate it further down by 75 to 100k.

In my opinion, if service records are proper, you can look at 7 lacs for MT and 7.75 to 8 lacs for the CVT. Some of the forum members were offered 9.5 lacs for the VX variant.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 14:12   #400
BHPian

Quote:
You have not specified your city and neither the variant offered - is it MT or CVT?

In 2018, the OTR price of the G variant (without discount) in Pune was 13 Lacs for MT and 14.4 for the CVT. Considering completion of three years, we should account for 40% depreciation and price should be in range of 7.8lacs to 8.65lacs. On top of it, Yaris is not selling like hot cakes and is considered a flop model. So you should be able to negotiate it further down by 75 to 100k.

In my opinion, if service records are proper, you can look at 7 lacs for MT and 7.75 to 8 lacs for the CVT. Some of the forum members were offered 9.5 lacs for the VX variant.
Thank you for the reply.
The variant offered is MT with 7 airbags . The dealer is not willing to reduce below 8.5 lakhs as Odo reading is only about 9.2 K.
Its a KL registered car.
passionforcars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 08:52   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Its a KL registered car.
The OTR price of cars in KL is generally higher than other states like MH. I was checking the OTR price for Yaris and there is a difference of 75k to 95K. So, for the Yaris G MT (7 airbags) you should be looking at 7.75 lacs to 8.25 lacs. I am sure dealer will come down to 8 to 8.25 lacs. If not, you can negotiate for free services and extended warranty.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 09:36   #402
KPR
BANNED

Yesterday I had the opportunity to test drive Yaris MT and CVT. My views are

Pros:
Excellent built quality as compared to Ciaz and City
Interior built, feel definitely a segment above city and two above ciaz.
Meaty steering wheel
Powerful AC
Good fabric seats. Kind of soft touch Alacantra like material looks way more premium than competition (even with J variant).
Driveability of both MT and CVT are adequate.
I would rate the engine on par with K15B 1.5P and 15% lower than Ivtec.
Very mature suspension. Feels planted.
The car is definitely chota Corolla and is built to last for decade. I don't expect loose rattling in this car say after 5 years.
J CVT and G MT variant means VFM at sub 11L OTR if hard bargained.
CVT although doesn't have dead pedal but atleast there is sufficient space to keep left leg.

Cons:
Rear AC vent in roof blows only air and not cold air.
Car looks mediocre compared to competition. The car as such isn't an attention grabber when on road.
Rear has low roof. Taller than 5 10" might feel claustrophobic.
Very poor features for low and mid variants.
MT variant has no space to the left of clutch. Where will I land my left leg in a highway cruise?

Neutral:
No non sense car at the price of sub 4m SUVs (only J MT, J CVT and G MT variants).
Mileage is decent for CVT. 12-13 KMPL in Tier II traffic and 14-16 KMPL in highways. One can expect +1.5KMPL to this figure for both city and highway with MT. This is pretty good for the heavy car.

Will I consider buying this car in sedan category?
A big yes for J CVT (black or dark brown) because it makes me feel like a corolla owner at 10.5-11L OTR.

Last edited by KPR : 30th March 2021 at 09:40.
KPR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 12:20   #403
BHPian

Quote:
I am sure dealer will come down to 8 to 8.25 lacs. If not, you can negotiate for free services and extended warranty.
By dealer, I meant a car broker. So no negotiation on free services / extended warranty.
While he said that its a 7 airbag varient, Im not sure about this. Is there any endorsement in RC book for this? The RC book says Toyota Yaris 1.5 G (BS iv).
Old 30th March 2021, 13:43   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By dealer, I meant a car broker. So no negotiation on free services / extended warranty.
While he said that its a 7 airbag varient, Im not sure about this. Is there any endorsement in RC book for this? The RC book says Toyota Yaris 1.5 G (BS iv).
Look for the 'SRS Airbag' logo or something similar to that on the casings on the A Pillar and C pillar. Something to that effect will be written on the beige plastic casing, if equipped.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 14:00   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can easily identify the locations (pics taken from official review and @Simhi's ownership review)

2 front, 1 knee, 2 side, and 2 curtain airbags = total 7
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Yaris : Official Review-2018toyotayaris05.jpg  

Toyota Yaris : Official Review-front_seat_cover.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 30th March 2021 at 14:02.
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks