Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2019, 18:39   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

I am sure many NextGen Verna 1.6 Crdi users are facing engine vibrations and clatter noise issues, as evident from the discussions in multiple forums. While vibrations in the cabin and on steering is common across, the clatter noise is reported mostly on the AT.

With my car, it is increasingly becoming more and more evident as it clocks more kilometers on the odo (I am at 23000 Kms now).

@Mods - can we please create a poll to assess what percentage of forum users - who own this model - are facing this issue?
clevermax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 11:49   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I am sure many NextGen Verna 1.6 Crdi users are facing engine vibrations and clatter noise issues, as evident from the discussions in multiple forums. While vibrations in the cabin and on steering is common across, the clatter noise is reported mostly on the AT.

With my car, it is increasingly becoming more and more evident as it clocks more kilometers on the odo (I am at 23000 Kms now).

@Mods - can we please create a poll to assess what percentage of forum users - who own this model - are facing this issue?
I totally agree on the diesel clatter in the AT (I cant speak for the MT). Its annoying in city commute, the only time it doesn't annoy me, is when am on cruise control on the highway. Additionally I want to state that Hyundai's paint quality is not that great. I recently had a cabbie whose Innova rolled back a bit to kiss my front bumper and the paint was completely chipped in 2 locations :-(. The Vento that I had, has suffered 6+ years of Bangalore traffic and the many irresponsible drivers. Such situations typically resulted in a minute scratch, nothing a rubbing compound wont fix. Attaching the picture to do the talking. The paint quality of the German babies are definitely top notch.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna : Official Review-paint1.jpg  

Last edited by SR-71 : 18th May 2019 at 11:51.
Old 18th May 2019, 15:31   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padukulkarni9 View Post
Hi,

Did you upsize the tyres to 205/55R16?
Do they fit properly? Do they touch underbody on speed breaker when fully loaded?
Hi, Sorry for the late response. I've not upsized yet and it stays in the pending list for long. However you can rest assured with this size and can go ahead if you want. I've seen new gen Vernas with this upsized wheels and there is no issue at all. This will be a perfect upgrade.
Old 19th May 2019, 13:21   #709
BHPian

Quote:

Hello all, I've recently joined team-bhp and this is my first post. Glad to be a part of this community.

Regarding Verna, I own a manual version and am noticing a lot of vibrations. You could see bonnet vibrating a little bit (on the side) at idle. Clattering is definitely higher compared to 1.4 Creta that was driven over a lakh kilometers and serviced at an FNG. We took both the cars to the showroom once and asked them to explain. They dismissed it off saying that Creta has a better build and Verna doesn't. Looks like we will have to live with it. Did anyone notice better NVH levels using synthetic oil?

At one point of time, I was considering remapping my engine to fluidic verna just for better NVH

@Mods, please go easy on me given that this is my first post but I look forward for the feedback
ramradcliff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 14:39   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramradcliff View Post
Did anyone notice better NVH levels using synthetic oil?
I use Devlac1 in my 2011 -1.6 CRDI. The engine noise & clatter are noticeably less than mineral oil. I change oil in 15k. Now my car has done 102 k. NVH levels are absolute top notch.

Cheers
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 19:23   #711
BHPian

I'm looking to upgrade the lights on Verna [planning to replace Halogen bulbs with 35W HID Kit]- can anybody suggest a good place to buy Osram HID Kit?
Old 23rd May 2019, 17:07   #712
Senior - BHPian

Remapped

Quote:
Looks like we will have to live with it. Did anyone notice better NVH levels using synthetic oil?

At one point of time, I was considering remapping my engine to fluidic verna just for better NVH
Those with vibrations have to live with it, I guess. Hyundai India is not even ready to acknowledge this issue. I'm not sure if a remap would solve your vibration issue.

Remap:
Rajiv of Wolf Moto flashed a brand new map in my Verna just yesterday. Why I say 'brand new' is because he had to manually code hex values in WinOls for a couple of hours to modify a Creta 1.6D's map to make it ready for this car's ECU. He couldn't just reuse a map which was created for the Creta because it was found out that the injector of Nextgen Verna is different than Creta 1.6D.

I'll be in close contact with Rajiv to optimize the map in coming days/weeks, since they happily agreed to work with me to collect feedback and create the most optimal maps for this car.

My requirement from a map was mainly to improve drive-ability in urban roads (Kerala) and not to do 170+kmph through wide open highways elsewhere. Another need was to soft delete the EGR.

Enjoying the new map. It is now far more easy to do quick prints from say 40 to 70 or 50 to 90 etc, to overtake vehicles in two-laned Kerala roads. On a light foot, there is no change in FE.

Still to properly measure 0-100 timings, I have to perfect my launch from standstill - difficult to do this on an AT compared to MT. The last measurement was just less than 10 seconds with initial few feets of improper launch. This was measured using Dragy, gps based performance meter.

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd May 2019 at 17:28.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 17:33   #713
Senior - BHPian

Re: Remapped

Quote:
Those with vibrations have to live with it, I guess. Hyundai India is not even ready to acknowledge this issue. I'm not sure if a remap would solve your vibration issue.

Remap:
Rajiv of Wolf Moto flashed a brand new map in my Verna just yesterday.
From my perspective the Verna is adequately powerful. Coming from a Petrol car I found the low end torque too much and at times a little annoying to handle. I had a manual for some time with me. Aren't you playing with warranty if outright performance is not what you need? All Verna's come with min 3 year warranty which might get void if they see or notice if the car has been remapped.
Old 24th May 2019, 22:34   #714
Senior - BHPian

Re: Remapped

Quote:
Remap:
Rajiv of Wolf Moto flashed a brand new map in my Verna just yesterday.
First impressions after the remap:
Drive-ability has improved significantly. The lower end has become really smooth and free revving. There is no struggle from the engine to rev up and shift on a light foot.

Improved FE! There is a definite improvement in fuel efficiency under normal driving conditions with moderate / heavy traffic. I used to get 13.5 kmpl on my way from home to office, today I noticed 16kmpl on the same way, same conditions. Though I was told that there will be a slight improvement in FE, this is really a surprise for me.

Usually on my way back from work, there will be heavier traffic than morning, and the figures I used to get were in the range of 11 - 12.5 kmpl. Today it was 13.7 with really bad traffic.

Instant power to do quick overtaking maneuvers!

I want the engine to be slightly more eager to deliver in the rpm range 1850-2000. This will be one feedback to Rajiv for the next revision of the map.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 08:30   #715
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am sure many NextGen Verna 1.6 Crdi users are facing engine vibrations and clatter noise issues, as evident from the discussions in multiple forums.
I was about to recommend this combination to my sister and I am just so glad I came across your and other BHPians post.

While there are no reliability issues, this issue is something which shouldn't have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I totally agree on the diesel clatter in the AT
Do you have a petrol AT? I was specifically looking at petrol + AT for NCR.

Quote:
Regarding Verna, I own a manual version and am noticing a lot of vibrations. You could see bonnet vibrating a little bit (on the side) at idle. Clattering is definitely higher compared to 1.4 Creta that was driven over a lakh kilometers and serviced at an FNG.
Oh dear, this is not good. Appears staying away from Verna for now is one option.

You are doing good Please have a look at posting rules & you may similarly search for editing/posting pictures and whatever else you think of and you will get a thread about it, should do good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
I use Devlac1 in my 2011 -1.6 CRDI. The engine noise & clatter are noticeably less than mineral oil. I change oil in 15k. Now my car has done 102 k. NVH levels are absolute top notch.

Cheers
My friend's 2012 Verna has done some 60K, I too drive it sometimes and it is holding up well. He has moved on to a Tuscon an year back but has kept his Verna as of now. Appears earlier Vernas used to hold up well. Cost cutting somewhere?
Old 27th May 2019, 08:51   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Do you have a petrol AT? I was specifically looking at petrol + AT for NCR.
No its a diesel AT. While it has its plus & minus, I think the NVH levels are not as great as mentioned the review. The engine clatter in idle and city driving conditions and wind noise in the cabin over 90Kmph is really annoying. The Vento TDI I have is far better excepting the diesel clatter at idle and cold engine run which seems to be same for both. Please do note am comparing a 50 day old Verna (D) AT versus a 7 year old Vento TDI MT. Here is my comparison

Positives
Verna
- Feature loaded, easily rivals cars a segment or two above in this aspect
- Looks gorgeous, still a head turner
- The engine is simply powerful, period
- Fantastic cabin cooling efficiency
- Excellent long distance cruiser for a sedate driving style

Vento
- Rear seating space is good
- Overall build, fit and finish is definitely the best in class, IMHO
- Excellent ride quality with the rear suspension being the fly in the ointment
- Slick gear shifts

Negatives
Verna
- Highway driving speeds are not that confident inspiring as its German sibling
- Paint quality is strictly average
- Already has a few rattles, the Vento has zero rattle despite 7 years of abuse
- The AT seems to have quiet a few pitfalls : Too much diesel clatter in city speed, average braking, poor response to sudden change in acceleration
- Service interval is shorter than its German sibling
- Rear seating might not be in your favor if you are travelling with 4 well built adults.

Vento
- Service reliability is a hit or miss though I have been completely lucky so far
- Driving the MT in city can be painful to your right knee
- The rear suspension has been an Achilles heel for many years now
- Relatively expensive service
- Poor road lighting in the old halogen setup

Last edited by SR-71 : 27th May 2019 at 08:53.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 08:33   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Positives
Verna
- Feature loaded, easily rivals cars a segment or two above in this aspect
- Looks gorgeous, still a head turner
- The engine is simply powerful, period
- Fantastic cabin cooling efficiency
- Excellent long distance cruiser for a sedate driving style

Negatives
Verna
- Highway driving speeds are not that confident inspiring as its German sibling
- Paint quality is strictly average
- Already has a few rattles, the Vento has zero rattle despite 7 years of abuse
- The AT seems to have quiet a few pitfalls : Too much diesel clatter in city speed, average braking, poor response to sudden change in acceleration
- Service interval is shorter than its German sibling
- Rear seating might not be in your favor if you are travelling with 4 well built adults.
I too find a little rattling from the dashboard zone. The car has just done 5700 kms and is about to complete two months.

I do agree with the points on paint quality, service interval, etc.

Yes, it is a good long distance "cruiser" on smooth roads. There is way one has to discover in order to enjoy the driving of the car, this is my feeling, and it comes with different kinds of attempts. I was actually disappointed after a 700 kms drive in which I tried to throttle it fast. It was pulling fast, but that connectedness with the car was missing. In short, there was no fun to drive factor.

However, a long drive to Hyderabad from Lucknow last week, has changed my perception. Though the engine is powerful, I think the power is best used when you accelerate it in a smooth and linear fashion, and once you are on the flow, speed comes effortlessly. It never becomes loud or gruffly and breathless. The ease with which it does the cruising is Verna's forte, I believe.

The quickness of power and acceleration, on the other hand, comes handy in city drives.

So, this is a car (I mean the 1.6 CRDI) which needs to be driven with two different "attitudes" under two different driving conditions.

Without using cruise control anywhere, in a distance of 1400 kms, it has given me an FE of 22.77 kmpl. The drive included an hour's traffic block at Kalpi in UP, a traversing through the city of Jhansi, Seoni, very bad stretches of 30 kms at Pench on the MP side, low-speed movement through Secunderabad and Hyderabad twin cities.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 28th May 2019 at 08:37.
Old 7th June 2019, 09:45   #718
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna Fiat Linea Comparo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
3. NVH levels.

This is one category where the Verna scores!For a Diesel engine churning 120+ BHP the car is really silent.
No unnecessary vibrations on the gear lever, no more need to crank up the volume just to drown the engine noise.
The only time you hear a slightly "loud" engine noise is while starting the car in a basement parking lot or a closed garage.
This is really difficult for me to digest. I had driven Linea MJD extensively and now owning a NextGen Verna 1.6D.

The vibration levels inside the Linea, especially the steering wheel, was much lower than what I experience in the NextGen Verna.

Idle speed vibrations inside the cabin of Verna (1.6 D) is unbearable and unacceptable for a C2 segment sedan worth close to 15 lakhs. The diesel clatter noise too is unacceptable.

May be this was specific to the cars which was produced in the initial stages, like last quarter of 2017 and early 2018. I am not sure about the new cars. This has been one issue that a lot of 1.6D users were vocal about, but HMIL is playing deaf. They simply divert these complaints to the local dealerships near to the person who made the complaint. Wonder what dealerships can do about it if there is no fix from HMIL.

I think Hyundai compromised on NVH probably as a cost cutting measure, I have heard that the previous gen Verna was better in NVH levels inside the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
Without using cruise control anywhere, in a distance of 1400 kms, it has given me an FE of 22.77 kmpl. .
Can't imagine driving the car without using Cruise control, even for a short trip through a wide open road! May be because of AT. One can press resume button and the car will catch up even from 30kmph to cruising speeds like 100-120kmph.

Quote:
The engine clatter in idle and city driving conditions and wind noise in the cabin over 90Kmph is really annoying.
Haven't heard the slightest wind noise in my Diesel AT ever. May be that issue is specific to your car.

Last edited by clevermax : 7th June 2019 at 10:01.
Old 8th June 2019, 17:30   #719
BHPian

Quote:
This is really difficult for me to digest. I had driven Linea MJD extensively and now owning a NextGen Verna 1.6D.

The vibration levels inside the Linea, especially the steering wheel, was much lower than what I experience in the NextGen Verna.
You have answered to my post which I made immediately after the car purchase.
I have since posted about the car vibrations and even added a video link to the effect.

I have owned a 2009 Fiat Linea MJD on which I had clocked 1.5 lakh kms, I feel that the outside clatter as well the engine noise filtering inside the cabin is much more contained in Verna as compared to Linea.

The NVH levels of Hyundai are not class leading ,this is what I came to realise after a couple of months of driving it . The particular shudder at shutdown is not what I expected after hearing owners raving about the “silent “nature of Hyundai diesels .

I have gotten my car checked and inspected for same. They checked the engine mounts in my car and I was shown brand new cars which had the same shudder on shutdown.
I thought that the first oil change would make a difference but since I didn’t opt for the fully synthetic oil change I don’t know if it would.

As long as the clatter / vibrations do not increase, I think I ll let it slide.
Going to the dealership over and over again for this reason leads to just wastes one’s time, since the number of complaints regarding this issue which my dealer has received is almost nil.
Also since their brand new cars sound and act the same I don’t even know what to say next to the service advisor.
The NVH and paint quality of the Hyundai Verna is sub par. The next gen Verna suffers from cost cutting which the fluidic Verna didn’t. But I doubt that Hyundai is going to change about it.

You mentioned that your car has clocked 23k km. Did you opt for synthetic oil change?
ishlinea7260 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 19:49   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
You mentioned that your car has clocked 23k km. Did you opt for synthetic oil change?
Clocked 24500 kms now. The third service was done at 19600 Kms and I didn't opt for synthetic oil. In fact, I didn't know it was a possibility during the service at A.S.S. center. While handing over the car back, the technician told me that there was an option to use fully synthetic oil!

Anyhow, I plan to change to fully synthetic oil with the next service which I plan to do by 28000 Kms. Eager to see how different it feels.

Last day, I had the chance to check idle vibrations & noise in my neighbor's Verna 1.6D MT. The engine sound itself felt a bit muffled than mine. The clatter noise was much less. Since his is a newer Verna, I think Hyundai has done something about NVH later in production, without recalling the older ones with NVH issues. It could also be a difference between AT and MT (Read that somewhere) but I don't know how they can be different in idle speed in Neutral gear.

About the steering vibrations, I felt that mine is lesser compared to his. May be the remap has made a difference!

Remap & EGR delete update
Driven about 700 Kms post remap, and I'm just loving it. More than any bhp increase at a higher rpm, I am more addicted to the improved torque at lower ends. It is now totally effortless to get the AT to shift into 3rd gear from a standstill. Overtaking has become super easy, can take the car where the mind goes! It is only after the remap you realize how crappy was the stock map!

MID reports about 2 kmpl increase in FE to show an average of 15 kmpl. Yet to fully assess this by comparing the values I get from a tankful to tankful.

Waiting for the next revision of the map by next week or so. I have compiled some inputs to the tuner - Wolf Moto - to make the map more optimal for my needs.

Last edited by clevermax : 9th June 2019 at 20:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks