Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2017, 08:59   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review

Great review! Thanks for sharing.

Very happy that the vRS this time found acceptance – great example that an undiluted driving machine (at the right price) does have a place in our market. I hope more manufacturers take the cue from this.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 10:40   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Pretty sure there's a TCU map available to unlock the DSG to handle more torque.

APR offers products till stage 3+ using the IS38 Turbo, which has been safely pushed even in a TT in Delhi. Lots of tuners in Europe have done the same mods on the Golf.

Hope that clears the doubt.
How can you unlock the DSG to handle more torque? Its stress handling ability is a factor of the mechanical strength of the components, especially the clutch plates. You can remap it to play with it's shifting logic. But being able to increase its rated torque limit seems a bit absurd.

The TT and Golf, do they all use this very DQ250, or any other DSG gearbox? What about in the Audis? That's what I am curious about. The vRS launched here in India gets a rather basic tune, and this engine delivers so much more power and torque in it's other applications. Every chance it is mated with a higher rated transmission as well.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 11:48   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Pretty sure there's a TCU map available to unlock the DSG to handle more torque.

APR offers products till stage 3+ using the IS38 Turbo, which has been safely pushed even in a TT in Delhi. Lots of tuners in Europe have done the same mods on the Golf.

Hope that clears the doubt.
So even the torque ratings (and not just the implementation) are electronically limited? Minus the factor of safety built into any mechanical component, I was under the impression that these ratings are the max the box can handle.
Old 6th November 2017, 11:58   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
How can you unlock the DSG to handle more torque? Its stress handling ability is a factor of the mechanical strength of the components, especially the clutch plates. You can remap it to play with it's shifting logic. But being able to increase its rated torque limit seems a bit absurd.

The TT and Golf, do they all use this very DQ250, or any other DSG gearbox? What about in the Audis? That's what I am curious about. The vRS launched here in India gets a rather basic tune, and this engine delivers so much more power and torque in it's other applications. Every chance it is mated with a higher rated transmission as well.
From what I have been told by another member, you can change everything down to the clutch plates to handle the higher torque - but it will cost you a bomb!
Either ways, for someone who will probably use this as a nights and weekends car (read: very low running), a higher tune may increase wear and tear of the clutch but he may just end up selling it before those issues come about.

Also the 230PS tune is the second highest in the vRS line up (245 being the highest), and isn't by any means the base tune of this engine!
lamborghini is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 14:43   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp171185 View Post
extraordinary writing skill. Those words under driving experience, ride & handling gave me sensation around leg & hand to push my car. It feels like, I should go for a drive right now!
Thank you! That's exactly what I told Akshay1234 after reading his engine post. Beautifully written, you feel like you're driving the car with him. Definitely one of the best 'driving' posts hes written so far.

A special post on a very special car.

Meanwhile, I'm hearing that the next batch of vRS will be here only at the start of 2018. Hope I'm proven wrong.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 15:19   #66
BHPian

After a lot of dilly dallying between the vRS and the 1.8 TSI, I ended up cancelling both the cars as there was no reasonable delivery time frame from the dealership.

I had a surprise call from the dealership a couple of days ago. Apparently, there was a Race Blue vRS for the taking, provided the booking was confirmed before the end of the day. This was just after me reading the post which mentions that all vRS in India were sold out.

I wanted to see the car in person, so I visited the showroom and the Race Blue vRS was on display. The car has 34 km on the odo. The explanation for this was the car was moved from one showroom to the other for display. I was assured that no test drives were given and that I could check the gate pass receipts for all test drives. The car was clean inside and out. I was happy overall.

I had a quick chat with bhpian GRaaja and finally booked the car yesterday. The car has been invoiced today and am waiting for a number so the car can be registerd.

After reading the fantastic official review, am really itching to get behind the wheel.

Happy motoring
differential is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 15:34   #67
BHPian

Quote:

This might clear your doubts, http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/category/285/dsg-tuning
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 18:02   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Wherever you see a 6-speed DSG/S-tronic in a transverse front engine VAG car, it would be the DQ250 (be it Audi TT, A3, Golf R, Octavia diesel etc). Gear ratios and final drive ratios do vary based on the applications as the box had been paired with 2.0L 4-cylinder diesel/petrol and all the way upto 3.2L/3.6L VR 6-cylinder petrols. In any case, I haven't come across stock models with outputs exceeding 380/400Nm and paired with the DQ250.

vRS 245 (in EU) gets a 7-speed DSG if i am not mistaken. But it is not the DQ500, but rather DQ380, another 7-speed wet clutch DSG (and smaller than DQ500) with origins in the Chinese market and later adopted for EU models also. Some more info here.

Coming back to torque limitations for DQ250, my understanding is that the approx 400Nm torque limitation are electronically set, via adjustable and measured/monitored clamping forces on the wet multi-plate clutch packs. The clamping pressures can be upped without any hardware changes (i.e without any uprated clutch packs) and thereby transmit more power/torque, by sapping into the tolerances set at factory level. But I suppose this also means increased wear and tear and shortened DSG fluid/filter change intervals (than 4 years / 60,000km which is normally recommended for DQ250).
avinash_clt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 20:35   #69
BHPian

Hi

I know of a red RS available in Kerala. Apparently it isn't the one which was damaged in transit at Bangalore. The showroom manager says this car has been with them for a month owing to some cancellation.

It has 19km on the odometer. You can PM me for contact of the showroom if interested.
Old 7th November 2017, 09:15   #70
BHPian

Excellent review indeed and i fully agree with the earlier comments about the review being so real that you feel you are there and driving!

There is a mention of the 'Cube-shaped' pattern on the front doors (and also couple of pics). Is that carbon-fiber? From a distance it does look like it but the close-up pic got me confused!

I guess this would be the perfect upgrade from my T-jet!

Best,
Ashwin
Old 7th November 2017, 09:41   #71
BHPian

Nope, that's not carbon fiber. Call it faux carbon fiber
Old 7th November 2017, 10:20   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp171185 View Post
Excellent review, and extraordinary writing skill. Those words under driving experience, ride & handling gave me sensation around leg & hand to push my car. It feels like, I should go for a drive right now! & probably I will take a spin as well.. does it sound like crazy? let it be..

Cheers!
A perfect response to the scintillating review of a very special car. No Sir, you do not sound crazy. I went for a drive to Palm Beach Road just because of the 'itch' that got induced by reading this review. While redlining my Diesel Rapid on an empty stretch, I was smiling and imagining how the RS would have felt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Meanwhile, I'm hearing that the next batch of vRS will be here only at the start of 2018. Hope I'm proven wrong.
I guess you are right GTO. I asked both Autobahn and JMD in Mumbai. They responded saying delivery can be given only in Feb/Mar-2018 if booked now. Though Autobahn had a display piece in their Andheri (W) showroom, they couldn't even give me a test drive vehicle.
mrinmoy_s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 11:05   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinmoy_s View Post
Though Autobahn had a display piece in their Andheri (W) showroom, they couldn't even give me a test drive vehicle.
Autobahn has a TD car (directors personal car actually). Therefore, they take appointments in advance and schedule the drive.
Get in touch with their Prabhadevi showroom.
lamborghini is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 12:04   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

KS Motorsport did dyno of stock Octavia RS and the figures are really impressive. 224 WHP it is, hardly any drivetrain loss
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-fb_img_1510036158968.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?s...39895889431149
Dr.Naren is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 13:21   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Autobahn has a TD car (directors personal car actually). Therefore, they take appointments in advance and schedule the drive.
Get in touch with their Prabhadevi showroom.
Thank you. I will contact them. The Andheri(W) showroom said that TD isn't possible at least till Jan-18 and instead started pushing me to go for the 1.8TSI.

Anyway, I have almost decided to go for the RS in 1 year time so would certainly be serious about the TD by mid 2018. I am sincerely hoping Skoda brings their next lots in greater numbers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks