Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2024, 16:41   #5341
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Fellow Nexon owners, would be glad if you can help a friend on his query.

He owns a 2019 Nexon diesel and wants to swap the stock, analog instrument cluster to the digital one with the larger multifunctional display at the centre.

From this:

Tata Nexon : Official Review-cc49867c56154df3b8dcce35140e5872.jpeg

To this:

Tata Nexon : Official Review-e24fe118ed044c35819ab48515fd430c.jpeg

Has anyone here or anyone in your Nexon friends circle attempted this swap? Is the immobiliser code written to the cluster like in the German cars or can it be swapped by the dealership after coding the odometer?

Here’s the boodmo link of the digital cluster (just in case) - Link
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 22:04   #5342
BHPian

One of my friends wants to get an automatic petrol and is thinking between Nexon and Brezza. Can some one point out which one is the best?
Old 1st July 2024, 06:16   #5343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

He owns a 2019 Nexon diesel and wants to swap the stock, analog instrument cluster to the digital one with the larger multifunctional display at the centre.
Why would you want to spoil the originality of your car, moreover, in these 5 years the car would have done around 50k kms, and with this swap the odo will start from zero.

I've a 2018 D AMT Nexon, and just love these old school but modern analog dials.
Old 5th July 2024, 06:30   #5344

Hello friends,
It is after a long time that I am writing here..my Nexon completed two years and around 55k kms in my hand. It is a pre owned 2021 Nexon XZA+ diesel bought in may 2022, it had clocked 9k kms when bought.
Here's how my experience has been with the car.

Pros
• Great performance from 1.5L engine, I have touched high triple digit speeds on this one and it was willing to go further.
• Great fuel efficiency, I get around 13-15 kmpl in city runs(living in a tier three city) and fantastic 19-22 kmpl on highways at a speed of 100-120 kmph.
• Great music system, it is just the right balance of bass and treble, clear voice quality and great surround sound.

Cons
• Suspensions: I have said and discussed earlier that it is very firmly setup to my likings(coming from a Renault Lodgy).
• Service experience: reading all the posts about bad service experience of Tata, it is nothing new to be mentioned, but still, I have been kept waiting for more than an hour few times for just the service advisor to attend to me, they keep the car for at least two days even for a regular service.
• Glitches: again, nothing new for Tata, screen getting frozen, malfunctioning system, my steering control for toggle works as mute button as and when it wants
• Space: interior space feels too cramped for head room, knee room, leg room for rear passenger(I am 5'10" with hefty built). Even the passenger seat feels attached to the driver seat. My Kiger has better space than this one!!

Overall it has been a mixed bag of emotions with the Nexon. I hope to keep it going for as long as I can find a better diesel option.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-20240614_225851.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-20240623_130248.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20230819_122404813.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20230805_150733640.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20230804_155054255.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20230430_161241607.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20230430_161743763.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20230114_075600185.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20230114_075834398.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20230114_075514466.jpg  

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th July 2024 at 11:53. Reason: Highspeed reference removed, and please proof-read your posts before submitting.
Akhilendra Jain is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 06:31   #5345
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

I have completed 115000 km on my orange 'tank'. Except few 'tata niggles' I must say I am very happy as a customer. Having XZA+ Diesel, 2019 model.
DrOrtho83 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 12:05   #5346

Good read- my 2 cents here have completed 45K in 3.5 yrs on XMS (P) on 1 Jul'24 and the experience has been amazing and have been fortunate enough to get good support on service and warranty though the visit has been for scheduled repairs only
during this period have covered 3 long distances during this period - Hyd- Kolkata| Hyd- Blr-Madurai-Kodaikanal- Rameshwaram- Kanyakumari-Puttparthy-Hyd and Hyd - Shirdi-Lonar
rajeev.o is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 22:45   #5347

Quote:
Hello,

Why your friend want to change the MID?

In fact the needles on the analog display looks better than digital one. Needles give you more accurate engine RPM. It looks simple and clean.

I have a Tata Nexon Kaziranga edition which have the same digital display which I don't like. It has Big digital numbers on speedometer it keeps on changing while driving and I find it quite distracting . Also one or two lights continue to flash to give one or other warning which I don't think so important while driving the car.

I suggest to be with the original display as it will cost more and will not be more beneficial. Also wiring has to be upgraded or changed.

Thank you.

Last edited by ampere : 8th July 2024 at 22:48.
Old 9th July 2024, 13:15   #5348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Has anyone here or anyone in your Nexon friends circle attempted this swap? Is the immobiliser code written to the cluster like in the German cars or can it be swapped by the dealership after coding the odometer?
If your friend is open for suggestions - I'd suggest to actually swap for an OLDER console - from pre-2019 models. That one has a proper dedicated fuel gauge and coolant temperature gauge, which is missing in the one that he currently has (same problem in my Aug 2019 Nexon also). Personally I have pondered swapping my current console to the older one for this specific reason - but have dropped the idea after a cost vs benefit thought.
Both of these gauge are back in the new LCD digital console (which is a good thing) - but then the digital one also has a lot of other added things also - like DPF warning, TPMS etc which are all BCM specific usually.

There is absolutely no way that the dealership / ASC will ever be able to change the configuration of these (like VCDS in VAG cars). And no outside place will do this either owing to lack of many Tata owners really trying to do anything of this sort.

For example - I have been trying to find a way to activate speed sensitive auto-door-locks on my Aug'19 Nexon (which has the stupid auto-unlock but no auto lock) but have had no progress in it at all. Only possible way is to get an older BCM software version and patch it I think - but I'm not finding it anywhere either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep1732 View Post
Hello,
In fact the needles on the analog display looks better than digital one. Needles give you more accurate engine RPM. It looks simple and clean.
Probably because his present one doesn't have an always visible fuel gauge and coolant temperature gauge. Both of which - are present and useful in the digital one. His (and my) present console is the stupidest one ever imagined. Fuel gauge is one of the cycling items in the MID, and same area is used for instantaneous FE display etc. Pathetic.

Last edited by Reinhard : 9th July 2024 at 13:17.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 19:29   #5349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
His (and my) present console is the stupidest one ever imagined. Fuel gauge is one of the cycling items in the MID, and same area is used for instantaneous FE display etc. Pathetic.
Hello,

As far as I know the instantaneous FE goes and Fuel level comes back as you turn OFF and turn ON Ignition so it is optional thing.
The same MID is also used in Tata Tiago.
Old 19th July 2024, 22:46   #5350

Hello everyone!
I've recently purchased a pre owned Nexon petrol XZA+ HS.
It's a 2022 model.
Today when I opened the boot to clean the car I noticed that there was water in the area where the spare wheel is there. On checking online I saw a few YouTube videos where in the comments section I noticed that many people have been facing this issue in the Nexon.
Has anyone here faced a similar problem? If yes then what was the solution?
Old 27th July 2024, 14:28   #5351
BHPian

Hi, I have got a technical query. My 2019 model Nexon has some kind of cable sticking out from the sheath in the front right wheel well. There's no other issues with the car like warning lights or issues while braking. I saw this randomly when checking the wheel wells.

So , I drive over to my nearest FNG and the electrician looked at it and put my mind to rest saying it's just a plastic bit to make the sheath sit straight. This also makes sense as the end of the cable looks cleanly cut rather than some accidental breaking or rat bite.

But when some of my relatives checked it, they mentioned it could be some fiber cable and to check with the showroom.

So I whatsapped the pictures to the service advisor in the nearest Tata ASC and they mentioned it could be for ABS cable and frightened/fearmonger me saying the brakes could fail soon and drive carefully. They wanted me to bring the vehicle in and leave it for inspection, Now this is all good and all if not for the previous experience I had about a year ago at this ASC:
  • My Airbag ECU had to be replaced due to AC outlet clogging. On doing this, the Passenger seatbelt sensor wasn't working and even after complaint and escalation, after receiving the car back, the passenger door shut warning wasn't working.
  • I had to carry out an insurance repair near the rear wheel well and they had only patched a broken plastic wheel cladding with some screws while billing me for the replacement part.
  • They had broken AC vent near passenger side during an "AC disinfection" they pushed on me during service and when asked to replace, they changed it with dirty vent from their old testdrive vehicle. Now if it was cleaned, I wouldn't have noticed. But the vent was so dirty, It immediately sticked out.
All these issues happened at the same time, losing my trust in this ASC. So it makes me wonder If they are taking me for a ride. Also the cut being so clean, this makes me side with the FNGs assessment. But yeah, I would be doing ~200 Kms trips in the car with my family and would need peace of mind on their safety, hence the query here. Please let me know your insights on this. I will attach the pictures of the cable.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20240727_130326.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20240727_130303.jpg
Old 27th July 2024, 14:40   #5352
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep1732 View Post
Hello,

As far as I know the instantaneous FE goes and Fuel level comes back as you turn OFF and turn ON Ignition so it is optional thing.
The same MID is also used in Tata Tiago.
For the most part, yes, but some models, unfortunately, do not.
alkaknar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 20:00   #5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
So I whatsapped the pictures to the service advisor in the nearest Tata ASC and they mentioned it could be for ABS cable and frightened/fearmonger me saying the brakes could fail soon and drive carefully. They wanted me to bring the vehicle in and leave it for inspection
Hello,

In your case it may be a small problem, but whenever by chance you visit to nearest service station get it checked. Most of the time the problem will be minor. Looking at the pics it really doesn't like ABS cable so nothing to worry.
When you give a call to any ASC the first thing they tell you to bring the vehicle for inspection with a warning to drive the vehicle with a caution. What ever you try to explain over a call or WhatsApp they will never entertain you.

I had a similar experience in March 2024, while a visit to Bangalore for some work my 2015 Tata Nano XTA stopped giving cool air even the AC is on. It was very hot in Bangalore so it was almost impossible for me to drive with family. I contacted to Prerana Motors Yelahanka, Bangalore and they asked me politely to bring the vehicle to service Centre.

Some how I reached there at around 3.00 pm. The receptionist informed me that the SA went for lunch. I waited as I did not have any other option. I spent almost 1 hour and finally the SA came with some technician. gave a lot of excuses that the have more vehicles, today it's not possible, Blah, Blah, Blah.

I explained him about the cooling problem, its a small issue and you just have to fill the GAS like I suggested. But they did not listen me.

He replied me that the whole HVAC system needs to check and for that I need to leave the vehicle to service station. I said I am not from Bangalore and I am on tour, as soon as I reach Mysore I will give it for service. You just fill the AC gas and that's it.

He didn't agreed, finally I took the car to a road side garage there he filled the AC gas and the problem solved. Hurray! the car started cooling again.

Its been 4 months now still there is no problem with AC cooling. It's working nicely.

What would have happened if I would have left my car for Inspection with service center. They would have filled gas and would have returned my car with a huge bill amount with items mentioning Colling system revamping charges/ spare parts replaced.
sandeep1732 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 12:06   #5354
BHPian

I may be reading it wrong, but did you come across this feeling that Nexon Auto AC is not working properly?

What I mean is:
  • When the sun is strong, I feel chilled at 27-28
  • But if it's cloudy, I have to lower the temperature to 23-24 to feel the cold air blowing.

Is this normal (due to temperature sensor)? Or something wrong?

I am comparing with my Swift ZXI - where irrespective of outside conditions, inside will be set to desired temperature as set in the system.

Any feedback is much appreciated 🙏
sarbagna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 18:20   #5355

Quote:

If I am not wrong, TML shares same parts with multiple vehicles and this is configured through different calibration files for each vehicle. There are no immobiliser codes written to instrument cluster. The Instrument cluster shall be switched to upgraded version without any changes in wiring. But the instrument cluster has to be flashed with the vehicle specific “Vehicle Configuration Number or VC Number” so that the Instrument cluster shows only the relevant data of that particular vehicle. If this is not done, the instrument cluster may show different errors or irrelevant data not specific to vehicle.

After updating the instrument cluster, to write the odometer reading one has to generate a code from the updated instrument cluster through TML diagnostic system and get a dynamic code from Tata Motors Limited. This key shall approve writing the odometer data to Instrument cluster which is valid only once, specific to vehicle and can only be done by the dealership. Apart from odometer updation and VC Number calibration this should be a plug and play process.

I am happy to help with any further queries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuman View Post
Friends need help. I noticed burning smell today from Engine bay so decided to check the oil level. Attached is the picture

I did not get any warning in the instrument cluster. I think Engine oil completely gone. TASS os 5 kms from my place. What should I do. Should fill any petrol car engine oil and take it to TASS?

I am concerned why there was no warning for low oil.

I started the car > switched off and waited for 2 minutes before taking dip stick out > cleaned it > inserted it and this is what I see.

Suggestion guys. Mine is Nexon AMT Petrol 2021.

Modern engines have enough safety measures with regards to critical component/fluid failure. For example, if the vehicle has run without oil this would definitely throw error as low oil pressure and shut down the vehicle immediately.

Nexon doesn’t have oil level sensor, it has only oil pressure switch. So possibility of throwing low oil level error is nil.

And yes you shall drive the vehicle until your nearest service station with oil level at low marking, but not advised for prolonged usage. Though oil consumption is something one should be careful about, first check whether there was enough oil to begin with, this creates a good reference value to identify whether the vehicle is consuming oil or not. Again, BS VI engines don’t consume much oil compared to older engines.

So, I would suggest not to worry too much about this and just check the fluid levels once in a while.

Most Viewed