Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2024, 09:50   #5326
BHPian

Re: PICS: Tata's Passenger Electric Mobility plant in Sanand - Report on the making of the Nexon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Perhaps cleaning of spark plugs and air filter should be the 1st step in that case.
Thanks a lot for your feedback. Actually, the cleaning of Spark Plugs sorted out the issue. To my surprise the Spark Plugs were changed just Nine months (or Seven thousand km) before during the full service.
Apex1815 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 15:14   #5327
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Horrible experience with Nexon service

I bought my Nexon XZA+ in Oct 2021. I have been servicing it regularly in Tata's authorized service centers.

Recently three weeks back, the car went into a mode, where it was neither turning off nor turning on. This happened in the Highway while I stopped for dinner. Another driver nearby suggested to disconnect and reconnect the battery post which I was able to start my car. Luckily I could reach my destination, Madurai, without further issues. Next day I had to start back home to Bangalore.

The next day, I was not able to replicate the issue and car was working fine. I took my car to check the issue at a Tata service center in Madurai. First of all, they were asking to come next week as it was a Saturday and they had lot of vehicles. After I told that, I need to travel the next day, they checked and suspected some issue might be there in transmission unit. After lot of wait, they started working and later figured out this will need more time.

It has been 2.5 weeks since then. The updates have not been prmpt from them. They were doing random trial and error to figure out what the issue is. Is the Tata car diagnosis and service so bad, that it takes 10 days to identify the issue? They finally identified the issue to be with AMT unit (hydraulic pump and mechtronics unit).

Also the Warranty claim process seems to take forever. Even now the warranty is not approved as apparently one of their service centers has missed an engine oil change as per schedule. As I have always given to Tata service center, I did not verify the work they were doing and I also had missed it that the oil change was due. Now they are telling that it is my fault and warranty might not be approved. If this is the case, what is the point of Extended warranty and doing service with Tata? Also no one seems to bother that one of the Tata service center is not able to even do the proper service as per their service schedule.

Finally last Saturday is when they have placed the order for the parts. It will take another one week for the parts to reach and the Service Manager tells that it is the fastest by when it can reach. After that they will take another 2-3 days. Is this normal for a less than 3 year old car to spend more than 3 weeks in service station? How is this level of quality of parts and service acceptable for a 15 lakh Rs car? Maybe there is much more than 5 star safety that matters in car ownership.

Any suggestions on how I can push them to get the issue resolved and warranty approved as soon as possible?
gearless is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 13:32   #5328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zignor View Post
Hello BHPians and more specifically Tata Nexon owners (especially BS6). Off late, a few members from our car group came up with battery draining issues. They'd complain of battery being discharged even though the car was switched off or run only for a short time. As a true car detective, fellow BHPian Apratim and a few other members decided to investigate.

The problem: A dead car

A few days back, suddenly the car stalled due to low battery and would not crank. Car was in use daily and was driven a short distance. The blower was on for hardly 10 minutes without engine running which is very normal. A local mechanic was called and car was somehow started. Next day morning again same issue occured and RSA was called. RSA technician could not jump start it and said maybe the issue is with the starter. Next day the car was towed to the service centre for a check up. The discovery is a lesson for all of us.

The Investigation: Battery mein kuch to gadbad hai...

Briefly, after 2 days of diagnosis, the battery needed replacement (life of battery was 20 months). This is what the analysis at the service centre came up with (attached screenshot). The warranty had expired just a couple of months back. The batteries supplied with car has 18 months warranty from invoice date, whereas the same battery outside comes with 55 months warranty. The health of this particular battery was checked in last service 3 months ago and it was all good as per SC.

Attachment 2298359

Usually when the battery is checked, SC doesn’t share this report with us but if your battery is within 18 months of invoicing and if the bars mentioned are less than 70%, please ask the SC to cover it under warranty.
Attachment 2298358

The Culprit: Is behind bars (or should I say behind the battery bars)

After a lot of research in the market about car batteries, a few observations:

1. Exide batteries are not good for Nexon (based on the number of complains we are facing). Moreover, the battery does not fit properly in the bay and may lead to loose connections).
2. In Exide batteries we need to crank little more which may lead to wear & tear.
3. Exide battery (available in market) need to fit in reverse order (back to front) as terminals are opposite
4. Warranty period given for above is 30+25 months of purchased from market whereas Tata provides 18 months only.
5. Tata Green gives only 24+24 warranty
6. Bosch is good but hasn't been researched with regards to servicing.
7. Amaron is a worthy substitute with 55 months warranty.
8. SF battery (sub brand of Exide) with 24+24 warranty can be considered as a VFM option.
9. SC charges around 7500 for the same battery which is available for cheaper in the market.
10. Petrol Nexon comes with 47Ah battery which is not manufactured by Amaron anymore (it is anyways made to order for OEMs). 50Ah can be used and no issues in warranty.

Attachment 2298360

Attachment 2298361

PS: While checking the battery, make sure the ignition is off or else the battery will show normal.

Hope this helps fellow Nexon owners to take care of their car batteries. As a suggestion, do get your batteries checked.
My service centre is saying I should put EFB BATTERY on my Nexon petrol AMT , i don't think it's true. What is the correct type of battery?
Old 18th June 2024, 14:45   #5329
Senior - BHPian

These are very good points. My original battery AMARON lasted almost 5 years. (Mine is diesel). Once it 'hung' in traffic - but started after a while, and I should have replaced it right then and there seeing the warning signal. The next day it gave up on me, right outside a hospital exit, and it was embarrassing.

This is the point I'd add. If your battery is trying to tell you something, take immediate action.

Vendors push for Exide a lot (Maybe fatter margins, not sure), but I stuck to AMARON (called Batterybhai, waited 30-40 mins for them to come and install a fresh new AMARON).

Two years, no issues. And yes, 55 months warranty to boot - Ding Dong

Recently, I was tempted to trade in my flawless Nexon (2017 model) for a new Diesel (I prefer a compact Diesel to drive, in India), but then better sense prevailed. Why rush into an unexpected territory, and take the risk! Keeping my old car for now. And the saga continues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zignor View Post
1. Exide batteries are not good for Nexon (based on the number of complains we are facing). Moreover, the battery does not fit properly in the bay and may lead to loose connections).2. In Exide batteries we need to crank little more which may lead to wear & tear.3. Exide battery (available in market) need to fit in reverse order (back to front) as terminals are opposite7. Amaron is a worthy substitute with 55 months warranty
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_7685.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 18th June 2024 at 14:51.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 22:26   #5330
BHPian

Timely discussion on Nexon battery. Few days back when I started my car my infotainment system went off with a sound (like a fuse going off). Then I switched it on again. This happened a couple of times after that. Just now I wanted to start my car but couldn't. Tried few times. Now nothing happens.No lights. Battery completely dead. Even the ORVM wouldn't fold after I lock the car. Car is three years old with 13000km on the odo. I want to ask a few questions here.

1. Is the sound that accompanied when the infotainment system went of when I tried to start the car - is it related only to the battery or it could be something else
2. ORVM not folding when I switched the car off. Is this battery issue as well?
3. My car came with an Exide battery. Is it possible to recharge and use this (or should I even use this), or replace it with a different one. If replace, what should be the best fit for petrol Nexon
4. What is the best place to buy the battery. There are a couple of battery shops in my neighborhood. Is it a good idea to buy from them?

Last edited by alphasri : 22nd June 2024 at 22:28.
Old 22nd June 2024, 23:17   #5331
BHPian

I forgot to mention this point. I am worried if something else caused the battery to die all of a sudden. I am worried if it might have something to do with the fuse blown off kind of sound from the infotainment system when I started the car. The infotainment system worked fine till the moment the battery went completely dead. Visibility no signs of anything wrong in the bonnet. No cut wire, broken stuff or anything.
Old 23rd June 2024, 12:24   #5332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasri View Post
I forgot to mention this point. I am worried if something else caused the battery to die all of a sudden.
Update: I called go mechanic to come with a spare battery and check mine. They came and used their battery to start my car, disconnected theirs and connected mine. When the car started, my battery indicator and check engine light was on. The mechanic said the problem was with my dynamo which needs to be replaced. I switched off and started again, and this time the battery problem indicator light did not turn up but check engine light was still on. I switched off and switched on again, this time none of the lights showed up and car turned on as usual.

I am planning to go to the service centre to get my car checked. However I am.low on confidence now to drive my car until I know for sure all problems are sorted out.

Could it really be a dynamo issue? I see no reason why the battery died like that. I was also getting key out of range message in the past few times. Could that be related as well?

I haven't had any issues with car so far in these three years.This is the first time something like this happened.
Old 23rd June 2024, 16:49   #5333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasri View Post
Update:
I haven't had any issues with car so far in these three years.This is the first time something like this happened.
3 years with OEM battery, that's the only issue, get yourself an Amaron green with same configuration, and you're good to go.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 21:12   #5334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
3 years with OEM battery, that's the only issue, get yourself an Amaron green with same configuration, and you're good to go.
Thanks. I really hope it is as simple as that. The mechanic said the battery is fine, but the alternator is faulty. I am not confident of driving the car to the service center tomorrow because I fear it might stop in the middle of the road and die on me.

Right now I cracked the car again. No warning lights, no check engine light. Everything seems fine.

I would love to hear some explanation for the noise from the Infotainment system when it switched off suddenly when the car started few days back (I didn't observe this now), and key out of range issue (didn't observe this now either).
alphasri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 20:03   #5335
BHPian

Friends need help. I noticed burning smell today from Engine bay so decided to check the oil level. Attached is the picture

I did not get any warning in the instrument cluster. I think Engine oil completely gone. TASS os 5 kms from my place. What should I do. Should fill any petrol car engine oil and take it to TASS?

I am concerned why there was no warning for low oil.

I started the car > switched off and waited for 2 minutes before taking dip stick out > cleaned it > inserted it and this is what I see.

Suggestion guys. Mine is Nexon AMT Petrol 2021.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-20240624_195734.jpg  

Old 24th June 2024, 21:21   #5336
BHPian

Have done ~15k on My 2022 July Nexon Petrol XZ Plus.
Have taken it to hills, flatout expressways runs and dense traffic of NCR - I love the car for its compact size and take me anywhere attitude. I keep the AC Con on almost all the time and with Air Con. Switched on, even the Sports mode feels dead. I do not want to complain as its a 1.2l 3cyl engine with lots of weight, but the lack of low end really keeps frustrating the life of out of me in inclines and traffic particularly because I have a manual.

I have been thinking to switch to a different car but sadly almost all 4mtr Raised Hatchbacks have similiar 3cyl engines :/ so the difference won't be night and day, I assume and it won't be worth the loss incured as its still a rather new car.

So I'm here to ask what are things that can be done to help improve the lower end Performance of this Car even if that means sacrificing the top end.
Has someone played with ECU remaps on this car and noticed any improvement? I see some YT videos with people claiming ECU remaps but it seems there was little to no difference (but again they may have been looking into upper end, I'm more interested into bringing the lower end quickly).

Has anyone here changed to Iridum Spark Plus/AfterMarket AirFilters for any noticeable gains on lower end ?

Once again, I understand this is not at all an enthusiast engine but looking at the power this engine makes on paper I was hoping there's a way to play around its torque curve.
rishi.roger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 10:50   #5337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuman View Post
Friends need help. I noticed burning smell today from Engine bay so decided to check the oil level. Attached is the picture

I did not get any warning in the instrument cluster. I think Engine oil completely gone. TASS os 5 kms from my place. What should I do. Should fill any petrol car engine oil and take it to TASS?

I am concerned why there was no warning for low oil.

I started the car > switched off and waited for 2 minutes before taking dip stick out > cleaned it > inserted it and this is what I see.

Hi dsuman,

Could you try calling the RSA and asking for help to tow the car till the TASS? It will cost you a bit, if outside warranty or if you do not want to claim it within the insurance options. Or, since it is near enough, calling the Tata guys over for an inspection might work as well.

Possibly, other than some leakage in the engine well, the sensor for the same has gone faulty, or the relevant fuse is blown. Hopefully it gets sorted quickly.

Cheers!
NovemberKing_91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 11:05   #5338
BHPian

Hello all,

I have managed to drive a little more than 31k kms in the last 3 years of my Nexon's ownership. During this time, I have suffered two sidewall punctures and against suggestions from fellow BHPians, I have kept on using them by converting them to tubed tyres from their tubeless versions (The tyres were quite new and I was not willing to spend the required money at that time ).
Today morning, for some reason, the sidewall puncture of one of the tires seemed a bit out of place. Maybe it has become a bit prominent or maybe since the tyre was wet, whatever, point being, I am now considering making tyre changes.
Out of the 5 tyres in my car, two are tubed (sidewall punctured). These two would be replaced for sure. The tread on all 5 seem deep enough to be good for another 10k kms, but need to get professionally checked though. I intend to change the tubed ones now, and the others some time later.

I am confused between choosing the tyres from Goodyear, Apollo and Ceat. All of them, on specs sheet appear similar. Currently the car has Goodyear tyres. So, dear TBhp community, can you please help me choose between these options?
Old 25th June 2024, 11:14   #5339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuman View Post
Friends need help.
Your car must be out of warranty, get a 2 litre can of recommended engine oil, pour it in, don't start your car for atleast half an hour, start it and get the leak checked at TASS or your FNG.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 15:42   #5340

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberKing_91 View Post
Hello all,

I am confused between choosing the tyres from Goodyear, Apollo and Ceat. All of them, on specs sheet appear similar. Currently the car has Goodyear tyres. So, dear TBhp community, can you please help me choose between these options?

Looks like tyres manufactured these days are more prone to sidewall puncture/damage. I had Goodyear assurance tyres in my I20 and all four tyres suffered side wall damage. Infact I had to change one of the tyres with in first year as warranty claim was denied. New tyre was again a Goodyear. All incidents are due to stones hitting the side wall on bad roads.

Then I changed to Apollo tyres, same issue here also
cncmachinist is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks