Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2023, 17:17   #5236

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

A little over 3 months of owning the Nexon XMA (petrol) and it is an absolute delight to drive. Have absolutely no buyers' remorse. Even drove from Bangalore to Goa and back after the first service. City mode is my default and Sports mode when i climb inclines. Got used to the A-spot blind pillar which can be annoying in curvy roads, and the AMT head nod is mitigated with well-timed acceleration BUT....

when going downhill, Engine braking is engaged and there is no up-shift of the gear - which is good, technically. Also, the engine RPM rises and is on the higher side.
Now this is a problem if the road downhill is empty and you want to move up a gear. If you accelerate, the engine revvs more and the rpm goes really high. Sometimes the gear doesn't shift up at all and i'm left with only the engine whining louder and louder (it got really loud so I gave up and stuck to going downhill in 2nd gear). I tried changing to Eco mode as well hoping it will shift up but no use. Is moving to manual the only way when driving downhill?
Old 15th August 2023, 18:25   #5237
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trharish77 View Post
. Is moving to manual the only way when driving downhill?
Yes, the best way is to shift to manual mode, give a gentle dab on A pedal and you can shift higher gears and then coast. When there is no sufficient speed or speed increases, either the gear will drop by 1 or you can manage using the manual brake.
This way, you can drive smoothly, safely and fuel efficiently.
Altrozed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 17:00   #5238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
Yes, the best way is to shift to manual mode, give a gentle dab on A pedal and you can shift higher gears and then coast. When there is no sufficient speed or speed increases, either the gear will drop by 1 or you can manage using the manual brake.
This way, you can drive smoothly, safely and fuel efficiently.
hmmm....really sucks then. I hope the AMT team reads this and comes up with a workaround!
Old 17th August 2023, 17:31   #5239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now this is a problem if the road downhill is empty and you want to move up a gear. If you accelerate, the engine revvs more and the rpm goes really high. Sometimes the gear doesn't shift up at all and i'm left with only the engine whining louder and louder (it got really loud so I gave up and stuck to going downhill in 2nd gear). Is moving to manual the only way when driving downhill?
Quote:
hmmm....really sucks then. I hope the AMT team reads this and comes up with a workaround!
As you mentioned in the previous post - its a good thing that the software senses a slope and holds a lower gear to ensure engine braking. There is no way that the logic can "predict" that the road up ahead is clear and it can go faster. At least not without ADAS2 (because what you are hoping for - is actually almost adaptive cruise control).

So - lets hope the team doesn't come with any change to the current setup and add non-existent problems. Quickly shifting to M, upshifting and continuing back to Auto mode thereafter - is the existing, well established workaround.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 18:42   #5240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
(because what you are hoping for - is actually almost adaptive cruise control).
It doesn't have to check if the road ahead is clear. If the rpm/speed is already high for a gear and I try to accelerate then shift up. I know i'm being very simplistic here but maybe an 'automatic' workaround is possible
Old 25th August 2023, 17:51   #5241

I have a very interesting story. Hope its worth sharing.
So I had put up a post last year about booking a Nexon XZA+HS. I eagerly waited (waiting period as per booking 16-18 weeks) while the GM of the dealership has promised delivery in 1 month/ 45 days max. I was excited as it would have coincided with my birthday so that I can proudly say "yeh tohfa humne khud ko diya hai"(I know I am quite filmy).

My loan was sorted and ready for disbursal but it kept on getting delayed. So from birthday it moved to Navratri and then Diwali and then I lost track of it.
One day I got a call asking if I would go for a different colour and a lower model. While I said ok initially I kept on thinking - "If I cant get my colour preference in a car which is costing me over 13.5L then whats the point. Eventually I got really upset and ended up cancelling the booking.

Cut to May 2023 we realised that need of the second car is urgent and my wife had to opt for OLA and it comes with its own hassles. P.s. we are a proud owner of a VW Ameo 1.5L Highline(more abt it in a separate post).

So we were very clear that we want to go for a car which we can get asap. No more waiting waiting.

So the quest started with pre owner cars which quickly escalated to a new vehicle. I was already heartbroken about Nexon so checked out other options in the meanwhile which were available within short span (7 - 15 days).

So I took a test drive of Kiger, Amaze, Venue, XUV300 in the meantime. Everyone had their own pros and cons.

I was discussing it with my bro Kushagra who is also an auto enthusiast.

He said - When you had finalized Nexon after so much research why do you want to go for any other option. I told him - Nexon will again have waiting period. So he asked me to check with the dealership once.

So I called the same old guy and asked him if there is anything he can do to rewrite my experience with Tata. He obliged. He tracked the options which were available at the factory and to my surprise one of the available option was the model which I wanted and in the same colour. Hoorah. Here I wish to thank my wife and her bank.

Immediately booked it and the dealership was very supportive(this time under a different GM). Got the car delivered on the agreed date.

Here is what I felt after driving this beast - Nexon XZA+LUXS (Calgary White) for almost 700 kms.

1. I was spoilt as a user because of DCT 1.5L being offered by Ameo so moving to a 1.2 L Turbo charged AMT was a bit of shake up.
2. The car doesnt have a great pickup and feels choppy earlier on but it races very well once it crossed the 2nd gear.
3. The interiors are really classy and you feel that finesse. A couple of things could have been worked upon like the key which looks too cheap for a 13.6 Lakh car.
4. The mats offered by the dealership are a waste(do not go for it). I installed better ones later on. Only mud flaps are worth having. Even Mandir and Perfume should be purchased from the market.
5. Got a Qubo dashcam installed as I feel its a need of the hour.
6. The infotainment system is a let down due to the overall experience(no wireless Carplay) but the Harman's sound quality makes up for it.
7. AC works really well considering Delhi summers.
8. I love ventilated seats. What a blessing!
9. IRA app is a good thing but dont see its utility in the longer run.
10. Here comes an important part of the review - the mileage. I have heard great stories of the AMT mileage some suggested very good average and some were totally opposite. It turns out in my case its giving me around 5-6 kmpl in moderate traffic in Eco mode with AC at 22(Auto). The dealership said that this will improve after first service but I doubt it will cross 10 kmpl mark.

Would love to know your thoughts.
palashgoorha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 12:13   #5242

Hey guys,
I recently purchased a used MY 2018 Nexon XT Petrol. The service was due so got it serviced at authorised service centre. I also read owner's manual beforehand.
Now, one thing that caught my attention was that the owner's manual recommends ACEA A5/B5 grade engine oil but, the ASC used ACEA C2 grade engine oil. It was Mobil Super. Isn't it used in diesel mills and will it affect the longevity of the engine?
Old 29th September 2023, 16:57   #5243
BHPian

Recently I saw this test drive car (which I think is nexon) on Pune Lonavala road. Maybe it’s nexon icng
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-0461e403072743b69a5e9c9ac12470a9.jpeg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-dca08741f3304c7c8c7c73bb907f92b7.jpeg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-b54ae0ee5a5f4dbcb906b0c3e09f2b4d.jpeg  

gjnnbagal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 15:45   #5244

For all those who are cribbing about the poor and low brightness of the headlamps, i found that using them on highbeam along with the fog lamps kept ON does help to some extent. But again headlamps on the high beam is a bad idea.

I checked on aftermarket bulbs to improve the lighting but some said it is risky to up the wattage, some said that it will void the warranty, the agency guys just said no to any change and also mentioned that, that is way the TATA NEXON lighting is....!!!

I play to explore more on this and will keep updates.
Old 8th October 2023, 20:04   #5245
BHPian

Does anyone installed 7D mats provided by the dealer,The one from showroom? Hows the mat? Is it worth of it or better to get it from outside?

If outside what are the good brands which make 7D mats?

Showroom guys are charging 7K for the 7D mat. Only advantage I feel going with showroom one is they are saying 2 years of warranty on the mat.
Old 9th October 2023, 11:39   #5246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6957663004 View Post
I checked on aftermarket bulbs to improve the lighting but some said it is risky to up the wattage, some said that it will void the warranty, the agency guys just said no to any change and also mentioned that, that is way the TATA NEXON lighting is....!!!
There are already a lot of posts on this thread as well as in the DIY sub-forum on team BHP for very good lighting upgrades for the Nexon. You don't need to reinvent the wheel anymore.
Also - driving on high beam is always a big NO if you are on an undivided road. Anyway, the highbeam hardly gives any usable light where you need it on the road.

As for the fog lamps - fireflies give more light than the stock Nexon fog-lamps. Replace them with HID or biLED projectors and most of your lighting problems are resolved in 7-8K rupees and 1 hour of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keshavmurthym View Post
Does anyone installed 7D mats provided by the dealer,The one from showroom? Hows the mat? Is it worth of it or better to get it from outside?
I'm using the mats I sourced from www.motorbasket.com since 4 years now. They are really well made (at least the ones I got back then). Definitely better than the ones available at showrooms and are cut & stitched to perfection. There are no "brands" to talk of in car accessories except music system components. Everything else is random / Chinese.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 12:06   #5247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

I'm using the mats I sourced from www.motorbasket.com since 4 years now. They are really well made (at least the ones I got back then). Definitely better than the ones available at showrooms and are cut & stitched to perfection. There are no "brands" to talk of in car accessories except music system components. Everything else is random / Chinese.
Thank you for the recommendation, let me go through the mats available and compare them with the ones from the Showroom.
Old 10th October 2023, 17:58   #5248
BHPian

Upgrade: Wired Android Auto & Apple CarPlay to Wireless connectivity in Nexon

Recently, I installed wireless android auto and apple carplay in my Nexon to avoid frequent interruptions while connected through wire. I choose Carlinkit 5.0 (2air), the latest version which directly connects to android auto rather bypass through apple carplay. The device is small and compact, with side ventilation to prevent from overheating. USB type A-C and type C-C cables are provided in the box.

Plug and Play: The setup is simple, just plug-in to main USB port and pair 5.0 adapter with the mobile via Bluetooth & WiFi. For Nexon connect via USB type A-C. It takes few minutes for the first time and from there on it promptly pairs. The Carlinkit logo illuminates with blue light when paired and with pink on idle, looks pleasant. One may enjoy effortless Navigation and Music on the move!

Tata Nexon : Official Review-carlinkit-5.jpeg

Purchase: Ordered from Carlinkit website, received 20% discount by using coupon code “PRAKASH”

URL: https://carlinkitcarplay.com/product...to-to-wireless

Tata Nexon : Official Review-carlinkit-cart.jpg
Rhinox~Cnu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 10:09   #5249
BHPian

Question: I asked on the new Nexon thread but couldn't find a response there. Perhaps, questioned scenario was too new to be experimented back then.

How compatible are the Nexon 2023 Entertainment Console and 360 Degree Camera with Previous Gen ? I know that ASVC would definitely not install it but I wonder if anyone actually tried ?
Old 12th October 2023, 11:28   #5250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
Question: I asked on the new Nexon thread but couldn't find a response there. Perhaps, questioned scenario was too new to be experimented back then.
How compatible are the Nexon 2023 Entertainment Console and 360 Degree Camera with Previous Gen ? I know that ASVC would definitely not install it but I wonder if anyone actually tried ?
I don't expect it to be an easy fit. Physically it can fit of course, but the new Nexon has a load of extra features that are integrated into the BCM and eventually into the ICE. The stock BCM of the older gen Nexon, won't comply with it and will have problems mostly. The cost won't be too low for the new one either. Of course - eventually there will be adapters / custom installers who may find a way to make the new screen work in the older Nexons, but I don't think the hassle and the price associated, will be worth the benefits on offer.

Personally I'd stick to the existing system or move to a Canbus integrated Android head unit for a larger screen with more features and economic solution if one doesn't want to use the stock Harman system screen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks