Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2022, 19:02   #4621
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronix View Post
Greetings.
I've been experiencing unusual vibrations only in the 2nd gear. It gets more noticeable in the range of 25-40 kmph. Although it's not bone-shaking

This issue doesn't exist in any other gear at all.

Will this issue get resolved after 1st service or is it something to be escalated?

Thanks.
I have a Feb 21 Petrol XZA+ and have noticed vibrations on idle with AC ON. I can feel it on the accelerator pedal. Once, I was sitting at the rear seat and the driver seat was literally shaking due to vibration. I raised my concern with the service centre and they just told me that it's quite normal with turbo engine and I need not have to worry about that. But, did not feel anything specific while the vehicle was moving.
Old 30th March 2022, 09:32   #4622

Dilemma!

Based in Gurgaon, budget is around INR 12-13 lakhs on road, and want to book within the fortnight. Use case will primarily be long drives, intercity commutes, and Road trips to Himachal/ Rajasthan/ Uttarakhand. Priorities are :
1. Safety
2. Reliability
3. Driving pleasure
4. Value for money (not purely a dump of features)

Accordingly, confused between:
1. Nexon Petrol Manual XZ+S/HS - Took a test drive, all good except the spongy/ notchy gearbox, although a non issue in the grand scheme of things. Primary issue is a mental roadblock around long term reliability of the engine / car, given hill/ long road trips. Seeing a video showing the engine vibrating / shaking a lot at idle didn't help either. Is this a non issue? About the only thing stopping me from booking this car.
2. Slavia 1.0 Active - Took a test drive, for sure a better drive and a more premium "feeling" car compared to the Nexon, but the base model just feels too barebones and not value for money.
3. i20 N8 iMT - Took a test drive, which was a disaster. While I understand driving a car for the first time would have a lot of hiccups, the IMT just did not sit right with my wife, and the highly sensitive breaks worsened the cause further. Don't really want to go for the regular Asta Optional Manual.
4. Vento Highline Plus Manual - Trying to find a showroom that has one available at the heavily discounted stock clearance rates.

How do I choose between these? Are there any other cars I should consider (no Maruti, Kia, Hyundai)? Try to wait a few months for new launches (Toyota D22, Nexon next generation, Honda something)? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 30th March 2022, 10:29   #4623
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance if you find this stupid. In my Nexon, I see the automatic climate control active only in the re-circulation mode. When I turn of the re-circulation, the 'AUTO' symbol goes away and I have to manually adjust the fan speed. is this the usual behavior or a fault with my car ?
mathewspaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 10:45   #4624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewspaul View Post
Pardon my ignorance if you find this stupid. In my Nexon, I see the automatic climate control active only in the re-circulation mode. When I turn of the re-circulation, the 'AUTO' symbol goes away and I have to manually adjust the fan speed. is this the usual behavior or a fault with my car ?
This is the way it works in all cars. Any manual intervention from the driver and the Auto mode gets cancelled.
Old 30th March 2022, 12:18   #4625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sHanKzZz... View Post
Dilemma!

Based in Gurgaon, budget is around INR 12-13 lakhs on road, and want to book within the fortnight. Use case will primarily be long drives, intercity commutes, and Road trips to Himachal/ Rajasthan/ Uttarakhand. Priorities are :
1. Safety
2. Reliability
3. Driving pleasure
4. Value for money (not purely a dump of features)

Accordingly, confused between:
1. Nexon Petrol Manual XZ+S/HS - Took a test drive, all good except the spongy/ notchy gearbox, although a non issue in the grand scheme of things. Primary issue is a mental roadblock around long term reliability of the engine / car, given hill/ long road trips. Seeing a video showing the engine vibrating / shaking a lot at idle didn't help either. Is this a non issue? About the only thing stopping me from booking this car.
2. Slavia 1.0 Active - Took a test drive, for sure a better drive and a more premium "feeling" car compared to the Nexon, but the base model just feels too barebones and not value for money.
3. i20 N8 iMT - Took a test drive, which was a disaster. While I understand driving a car for the first time would have a lot of hiccups, the IMT just did not sit right with my wife, and the highly sensitive breaks worsened the cause further. Don't really want to go for the regular Asta Optional Manual.
4. Vento Highline Plus Manual - Trying to find a showroom that has one available at the heavily discounted stock clearance rates.

How do I choose between these? Are there any other cars I should consider (no Maruti, Kia, Hyundai)? Try to wait a few months for new launches (Toyota D22, Nexon next generation, Honda something)? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Stay away from sedans/hatchback altogether if you want to travel Himalayas, Uttarakhand, Rajasthan and any hillstation , Beefed up hatchbacks were good but mostly discontinued (i20 active and Punto evo etc) only one left is Tiago NRG which is cheap and capable, but if you want absolute safety go for Nexon as it has hill climb, hill descent, traction control and brake disk wiping along with brake booster , from base model XE. Mileage is 20 +- on highways and 8-10 in city with AC. You won't notice any engine sound while listening to music, windows open highway drive. 3 cylinder will always have vibration , exception maybe only in a Lexus which doesn't have a 3 cylinder . Only other car I would choose is the S-Cross, an absolute mile muncher with 4 disc brakes as standard. Stay away from Germans, they are not what they used to be in the 60's, no more bulletproof.
FASTLIFE is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 19:00   #4626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTLIFE View Post
Stay away from sedans/hatchback altogether if you want to travel Himalayas, Uttarakhand, Rajasthan and any hillstation , .
BHPian AUTOCONSULTANT has travelled in his Honda City 5th Gen to both himalayas as well as Rajasthan, I myself have toured Uttarakhand all the way to Munsiyari in a previous gen Amaze. This is a very wrong notion that sedans cannot traverse to himalayas or rajasthan. Agreed, that you might get an underbody hit due to low GC (we got an underbody hit only once over a period of 10 days while driving in Uttarakhand Kumaon roads).

@Shankzzz, I have replied to your post on the Slavia thread.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 08:38   #4627

Quote:
Stay away from sedans/hatchback altogether if you want to travel Himalayas, Uttarakhand, Rajasthan and any hillstation , Beefed up hatchbacks were good but mostly discontinued (i20 active and Punto evo etc) only one left is Tiago NRG which is cheap and capable, but if you want absolute safety go for Nexon as it has hill climb, hill descent, traction control and brake disk wiping along with brake booster , from base model XE. Mileage is 20 +- on highways and 8-10 in city with AC. You won't notice any engine sound while listening to music, windows open highway drive. 3 cylinder will always have vibration , exception maybe only in a Lexus which doesn't have a 3 cylinder . Only other car I would choose is the S-Cross, an absolute mile muncher with 4 disc brakes as standard. Stay away from Germans, they are not what they used to be in the 60's, no more bulletproof.
Thanks for the vote of confidence on the Nexon, I feel like I'm just looking for validation at this point to go ahead with it! Engine sound and vibrations weren't an issue in themselves. The concern sprung from higher probable wear and tear and chances of something going wrong due to the excessive vibrations over time. My mom's i10 Nios seems like a ghost/ dead in comparison to Nexon, makes you wonder if that plays a part in better reliability. But totally understand that about higher vibrations in 3 cylinder engines, didn't think about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
BHPian AUTOCONSULTANT has travelled in his Honda City 5th Gen to both himalayas as well as Rajasthan, I myself have toured Uttarakhand all the way to Munsiyari in a previous gen Amaze. This is a very wrong notion that sedans cannot traverse to himalayas or rajasthan. Agreed, that you might get an underbody hit due to low GC (we got an underbody hit only once over a period of 10 days while driving in Uttarakhand Kumaon roads).

@Shankzzz, I have replied to your post on the Slavia thread.
Thanks Dieseltuned! About the hill thing, I've always wondered. Just how damaging are those underbody hits/ scraps? Is it more of a cosmetic thing, or does it actually impact the engine / car durability? I've seen multitudes of hatchbacks and sedans on my trips across Himachal. I've infact driven my mom's i10 Nios to Binsar from Agra, and it was a niggle free trip. I am a sedan / hatchback guy through and through. Nexon only became a contender due to the overall value I think it offers. Will check out the other thread now.
Old 31st March 2022, 13:09   #4628
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Dieseltuned! About the hill thing, I've always wondered. Just how damaging are those underbody hits/ scraps? Is it more of a cosmetic thing, or does it actually impact the engine / car durability? I've seen multitudes of hatchbacks and sedans on my trips across Himachal. I've infact driven my mom's i10 Nios to Binsar from Agra, and it was a niggle free trip. I am a sedan / hatchback guy through and through. Nexon only became a contender due to the overall value I think it offers. Will check out the other thread now.
With Sedans and Hatchbacks care needs to be taken while crossing the water streams, there were a few on the way to Munsiyari. The underbody dings were more of scraps rather than hits. The roads in Himachal/Uttarakhand are in much decent condition but it will be altogether a different ball game if you plan to take your sedan to Ladakh. If Ladakh is on your mind than Sedans might not crack it.

I envy the NCR folks , you guys have so many destinations right from deserts to snow clad mountains within driveable distance.

Regards
Dieseltuned

Last edited by Dieseltuned : 31st March 2022 at 13:10.
Old 7th April 2022, 20:33   #4629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijith View Post
My car is TATA Nexon XZ+ Petrol 2019 model and I have a query as mentioned below.

I am facing jerks in Sports Mode especially in 2nd and 3rd gear at around 2000rpm. This is happening mainly while overtaking in Sports mode.
Quote:
Yes, its present in my 2022 XM Petrol as well, I don't think it has anything to do with adulterated fuel, spark plug, ecu, fuel injector , or anything else, it's just that the mapping of sports mode is not well tuned by tata till date
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberKing_91 View Post
Hi,
I would say the tuning is a bit inconsistent here then. My Nexon is Jun 21 model.
Quote:

Get your ECU checked/updated. Mine is a January 22 model and latest update flashed from factory, both ecu and music system. Regarding sports mode, you'll feel the lag only on highways not in city traffic as the car easily pulls in 1st gear but in highways you shift to the 2nd in an instant and then rev up, that's when the sports mode lags under 3k because fuelling is on the richer side and turbo kicks in late , but in city mode the fuelling is linear and turbo doesn't surprise either when it kicks in. Just needs proper fuel mapping from Tata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijith View Post
Except the initial jerk in Sports mode, everything else works as expected.
I don't think this is a common issue since SC guys checked other vehicles and acknowledged that there is an issue with my vehicle. If they are unable to diagnose,then I will ask them to return the vehicle.
After so many days of investigation and follow ups, SC was able to identify the issue and rectify it. As per TATA regional head and SC guys, the issue was with the Cylinder Head Assembly. They replaced it under Extended Warranty and took around 22 days for the whole process because they were clueless initially.

I have completed around 1200kms after the above attention and I did not face any jerks in Sports Mode till date.

I urge all new owners to opt for Extended Warranty since it is totally worth taking it.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20220324wa0008.jpg  

vijith is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 09:53   #4630
BHPian

@Reinhard sir, could you please send me a PM with your contact details.

I am based in Pune and I need your help as my nexon has problems with regard to turbo.

I have contacted few TASS and they have not given satisfactory response so far.
Sanjay_Sangar27 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 06:18   #4631

I wish I could have claimed that I managed to go through all the posts across the 309 pages on this thread (yet), but I lost track. Thanks to a few members (mathewspaul, FASTLIFE, Dieseltuned) from whom I managed to get some insights personally that helped drive confidence with my decision.

In continuation to my first post here, I have booked the Nexon Petrol Manual XZ+HS Dark Edition (I know, not the most practical of colors, but, oh well). Been told the waiting period would be ~4 months (2 months for non dark). I get the hullaballoo around waiting periods now, having booked my first car ever. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Have opted for nearly every additional service feature I came across, i.e.
1. Tata Motors Insurance with Zero Depreciation, Engine Protect, Return to Invoice, etc
2. Extended warranty for 3 years
3. Gold AMC
4. Promise to Protect

Am I missing something important? Is this overkill? Made my on road price touch INR 13 Lakhs. Not sure how I feel about spending that number. Company car lease program saving a few bucks for me long term.

Are there any day 1 things I should definitely plan on doing? Tyre upgrade to Michelin Primacy worth it as soon as I drive it out? PPF or some other coating for the dark edition worth it for this price segment? Don't think headlight upgrade is possible without voiding warranty, is it really required?
Old 10th April 2022, 07:37   #4632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay_Sangar27 View Post
@Reinhard sir, could you please send me a PM with your contact details.

I am based in Pune and I need your help as my nexon has problems with regard to turbo.

I have contacted few TASS and they have not given satisfactory response so far.
Quick update: the TASS at auto point wakad cleared all the DTCs for temporary purpose and asked me to drive normally. They pointed out that the wastgate valve doesn't open/close upon throttle application and that is why the error code and MIL light is constantly on. The light has not come after driving some 100kms or so.

I also hear a faint whistling +whirring sound when I accelerate through gears and that sound is noticeable when I am lifting off.

I spoke to @Reinhard as well and the trouble when the MIL light was on, seems to be with the turbo waste gate issue.

Could any petrol nexon owner please confirm if they hear the same whistling+whirring sound when throttle on and off ?
Old 11th April 2022, 00:29   #4633
BHPian

Quote:
I wish I could have claimed that I managed to go through all the posts across the 309 pages on this thread (yet), but I lost track. Thanks to a few members (mathewspaul, FASTLIFE, Dieseltuned) from whom I managed to get some insights personally that helped drive confidence with my decision.

In continuation to my first post here, I have booked the Nexon Petrol Manual XZ+HS Dark Edition (I know, not the most practical of colors, but, oh well). Tyre upgrade to Michelin Primacy worth it as soon as I drive it out? PPF or some other coating for the dark edition worth it for this price segment? Don't think headlight upgrade is possible without voiding warranty, is it really required?
As you already have the wiring, go for IPH LED projector fog lamps, best output without blinding oncoming traffic, I hate led setup in headlamps (Baleno,Activa etc) auto levelling missing unlike in proper cars like bmw merc Audi, also you can install led in the default projector but it doesn't move up/down, only the low beam does in Nexon, projector is fixed so no use to change bulb in main headlamps.
Tyres are okay, braking system in Nexon is one of the best in the segment, brake prefill (if you drive fast and suddenly remove foot from accelerator, it automatically boosts the brake thinking you're about to brake, emergency) so save the tyre money and go for the PPF coating asap , within a week if possible, dark edition is a real pain in rear , it can attract scratches from thumbprints even I think, extremely fragile due to its heavy gloss effect or thin clearcoat maybe, I donno , but only thing that can protect it is a PPF, ceramic coating is useless in dark edition IMHO, Tata could have given it a Matt black /Matt Grey colour with red brake calipers and accents or maybe I'm a fan of Punto Abarth .
FASTLIFE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 10:46   #4634
BHPian

My Nexon is nearing 2 year service soon. I currently do not have extended warranty. I haven't faced any major issues till now. But still, to have peace of mind, I am planning to purchase it while going for service. If anyone have recently purchased extended warranty, what are the current rates ?
Old 11th April 2022, 13:14   #4635

I got my Tata Nexon XZ+ petrol in Feb 2022.

Its almost 2 months now and 1900 on ODO, with first service done.

So far no major complaints and happy with the car, except for one issue with Andriod Auto which is nagging from beginning.

Any suggestions / resolutions from those who experienced similar issue would be a great help !

Issue:
Android Auto gets frequently disconnected while travelling, which is bit of a bother when you have google maps on. It ensures disconnection especially at vantage points when you need to make a turn etc !!

Resolutions tried:
1) Tried with 4 different phones, all with their orginal USB cables. Problem occurs with all phones.
2) Tried with a USB cable procured externally.
3) During 1st service, raised complaint and Infotainment system updated to latest ver 15.22. Still problem persists.
4)Procured a USB hub based on a suggestion and tried - no avail.

Can it be an issue with Nexon's USB port?
(If you put in a USB drive for playing music, it works well without issues though)

Most Viewed