Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2021, 08:17   #4291
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Hi Sid, Was there a resolution to this problem, as my friend is facing the same with no solution?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesidmania View Post
Facing a certain jerking problem with my Nexon diesel AMT. No, it's not the typical AMT gear shifting jerk.

Last edited by Sebring : 24th September 2021 at 08:19.
Old 24th September 2021, 08:45   #4292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hi Sid, Was there a resolution to this problem, as my friend is facing the same with no solution?
I've gotten this issue checked three times by two different Tata Dealers in Mumbai. No resolution yet. The jerking never happened when the service advisor was taking a trial run and I ended up getting an 'AMT software update' which will "100% fix the issue, sir". Alas, it never happened.
Old 25th September 2021, 19:01   #4293

Questions surrounding buying my first car(Tata Nexon))

Hi, this is my first teambhp post and I think it was long overdue. I am a 24 year old software developer and have spent most of my early adult life driving my dad's renault duster 110ps in siliguri, darjeeling and the nearby hills. So naturally I'm inclined towards buying an SUV. But when the time to buy my first car came, I realised that most SUV's are too expensive for a fresher both to buy, and to maintain. So it boiled down to a compact SUV and after a lot of research, I have decided to go for the Tata Nexon. Initially I planned to get a higher trim, but after spending some more time thinking about it(and listening to my dad tell me about how a 24 year old should not spend so much money on a car), I decided to go for a lower variant(XM). Pertaining to it, I had a few questions which came to mind.

1. Will all the dealers provide me the same on-road price or is there any room for negotation?
2. I am planning to buy the car in Ghaziabad, so any leads on the best dealers and ASS centres would be of a big help(read too many posts about disappointing ASS)
3. I plan to upgrade the tyres to the wider alloy wheels in the beginning itself. Someone told me that would void the warranty.
4. Are after-market infotainment systems reliable and trustworthy. If yes, what would be the ideal cost for a screen with apple carplay and android auto.

Thanks in advance.
rishavch2104 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 21:41   #4294
Senior - BHPian

Re: Questions surrounding buying my first car(Tata Nexon))

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishavch2104 View Post

1. Will all the dealers provide me the same on-road price or is there any room for negotation?
2. I am planning to buy the car in Ghaziabad, so any leads on the best dealers and ASS centres would be of a big help(read too many posts about disappointing ASS)
3. I plan to upgrade the tyres to the wider alloy wheels in the beginning itself. Someone told me that would void the warranty.
4. Are after-market infotainment systems reliable and trustworthy. If yes, what would be the ideal cost for a screen with apple carplay and android auto.
Hello,

I have tried to answer some of your queries below:

1. There won't be much room for negotiation, for In-Demand Models like Nexon.
However, do check, if there is some 'corporate' discount, or some freebies in form of accessories.

3. It's best to stick with OEM stuff.
Since you are buying the XM variant, just go for the wonderful looking alloys & tyres of the top end XZ+.

4. You could have gone for Pioneer OR Sony head units, had it been a standard 2 DIN space.
Unfortunately, the Nexon does not have 2 DIN Space.
You will have either use what comes with the car, OR head to Karol Bagh and install the Chinese rubbish there.

My final advice would be to simply forget the XM variant, and head to either the XZ/XZ+ variant, and avoid the hassles of point 3 & 4.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 22:02   #4295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishavch2104 View Post
Hi, this is my first teambhp post and I think it was long overdue. I am a 24 year old software developer and have spent most of my early adult life driving my dad's renault duster 110ps in siliguri, darjeeling and the nearby hills. So naturally I'm inclined towards buying an SUV. But when the time to buy my first car came, I realised that most SUV's are too expensive for a fresher both to buy, and to maintain. So it boiled down to a compact SUV and after a lot of research, I have decided to go for the Tata Nexon. Initially I planned to get a higher trim, but after spending some more time thinking about it(and listening to my dad tell me about how a 24 year old should not spend so much money on a car), I decided to go for a lower variant(XM). Pertaining to it, I had a few questions which came to mind.

Thanks in advance.
With all due respect to our elders (we should listen to them most often) but there are few things where we should follow the obvious

Buy the highest possible trim/safest version of the car you can afford. If not buy one which has the least compromise as far as safety related features are concerned. Reason being you will not be able to retrofit these features.

In case you are not buying the top most model, buy one where you will not have make changes to the existing electronics of the cars. Trust me cars today are very complex and in a place like India where "Chalta hai" attitude still works one may end up being charred in the car. Reason most car fitments are not being done properly unless you know folks personally or have the expertise to monitor and supervise. Please read through the cases of fire in car. Most cases are due to external gadgets not fit in proper manner. I am in no way discouraging this as a lot of people customize their cars as they wish but they usually know what they are doing or have friends who can guide them through.

Though unless you are making any changes to the original configuration of the car warranty should not be an issues. So either you know the rules of the game or the dealer can take you for a ride.

First car needs to be a special experience and don't mar it by getting into all such stuff. Buy the top end model and in case you still cant afford one save for a year and you should be good to go. You already have chosen a Tata and on top you want to get adventurous

Don't get me wrong mate but unless you have the technical know how or have folks to guide you try and make your first car experiecne a good one. A bitter one to start with may just kill the enthusiast in you.

Do all the due diligence , take inputs from seniors here in the forum and you should be good to go. Just figure out the best dealership in the city and build relationship. They should take good care of your car. Always buy the max possible warranty for peace of mind.

I maintain a 8 year old Fiat so I do very well understand what goes into the upkeep of your car
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 15:43   #4296
BHPian

They've removed the air flow control knob from the read a/c vents!!! Means if I am driving alone or just 2 people in the front seats and want to shut off the rear a/c vents - we can't do it. sad!!!!
mihir_m13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 19:17   #4297

Thank you so much for your input. I think I will wait for a few months save up and go for the XZ+ variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
You already have chosen a Tata and on top you want to get adventurous
Haha please dont make me more anxious. I have chosen the nexon primarily because of its safety rating and because its mostly niggle free as per the reviews. It was a tough job convincing my mom that the harrier was not a good choice for her and dad, despite the fact that its arguably one of the best looking SUV

Last edited by Aditya : 26th September 2021 at 20:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 26th September 2021, 22:22   #4298

Thank you so much for the info. Seems like it makes sense to wait a bit and go for a higher variant.
Old 26th September 2021, 22:25   #4299
BHPian

Had a family outing to a Beach yesterday and had to go through some rough roads and non existent roads. As the car was dirty after yesterday's adventure, it went through its first Full Body Wash today. While the car was lifted on the ramp I decide to check the underbody to understand where the critical components are so as to have an idea while driving on rough/bad roads.

My Observations are:
  1. All Critical Components are hidden out of view and are not in a vulnerable Position. The Underbody is Neat.
  2. But the Oil Sump is just behind the Front Bumper Deflector and is at a Vulnerable Position.
  3. The Oil Sump is made of Iron. It is not a Plastic.
  4. The Oil sump is vulnerable since it is at the level of the Front Bumper diffuser
  5. Flying stones will not have any impact but any good size sharp stone lying on the roads will impact the Sump at good speeds.
Now I am nervous. Though 205 mm Ground Clearance takes care of most of the obstacles but I am wary of big size Stones that can breach the 205mm Height Barrier. Can I do something since I travel on national Highways, State Highways and Rural Roads.
  1. Is there an underbody cover available for Nexon?
  2. If Yes is it available in SVC or outside?
  3. If not then can I fabricate anything. Did anyone use any underbody Engine Cover for Nexon.
Here are some Photos.

Car Lifted onto a Ramp for Full Body Wash
Tata Nexon : Official Review-20210926_083249.jpg

Underbody as seen normally from front. Photo taken from Team BHP Review
Tata Nexon : Official Review-underbody-team-bhp.jpg

This is the Oil Pan/Oil Sump. Sorry for the Accident Photo. Could not find a better Photo to show the underbody. Image Credit: DriveSpark Website Accident Report.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-nexon-underbody.jpg

Oil Sump Photo taken by me under my Car. Marked for easy identification.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-oil-sump-marked.jpg

This is the Oil pan/Oil Sump.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-20210926_082635.jpg

Quote:
Note: I never went under the car while it was lifted up. Never go under any vehicle when it is lifted up on a Jack or a Ramp. It is extremely dangerous.
[i]Note to Mods: In case the Accident Photo does not comply with Forum Rules please delete.
[
dsuman is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 17:21   #4300
BHPian

Hi All,

Now that I have driven my car over quite a wide variety of roads in Gujarat in the last almost 2 months that I own the Nexon, I have managed to lose the dummy plate in the rear bumper ( the one which had a fog light in the previous generation Nexon).
Name:  Nexon rear.PNG
Views: 1758
Size:  567.1 KB
Since it looked quite awkward empty, I bought a fog light replacement from Boodmo.
Then, I went through all the videos I could find about the installation and got to work.
I wanted to plug it to the parking lights, didn't work. But then, trying it with the brake lights worked, temporarily. I tried it a few times, it worked, but then as I was tidying up the wires and all, it stopped working. The brake lights work, the new fog light doesn't.
I feel it is a wiring issue.
Now, the main question is, if I take the car to the Tata service station and ask them to help out with the installation of the light, will they help? If yes, any estimate on how much they'll charge? Or should I head to a car modification shop and get the wiring checked?
Any insight would be helpful.

Regards,
Kaustav Sen

Last edited by NovemberKing_91 : 27th September 2021 at 17:50.
Old 27th September 2021, 18:33   #4301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuman View Post
[list=1][*]Is there an underbody cover available for Nexon?[*]If Yes is it available in SVC or outside? [*] If not then can I fabricate anything. Did anyone use any underbody Engine Cover for Nexon.
No there is nothing readily available for it. There are a couple of guys up-north who fabricate the plate and sell at quite a premium pricing that simply doesn't seem worth it. You can Google it up or find on Facebook etc. You'll get hits easily for the search.

Point to remember - the plate must be fully plug-n-play - i.e. must have mounting holes that can fit in existing bolts in the structures under the car. Any extra drilling and you are actually exposing the underside of the car to premature rust. There have to be pre-designed and sufficiently sized holes in it for various regular maintenance like oil drains and lubrication, without removing the plate.
Most importantly - the plate should be with correct slopes and drain-holes. Otherwise if made of mild-steel - it will rust super-fast during rainy seasons due to water stagnating in the plate's corners & can induce rust in mounting areas of the car as well.

Honestly - I don't think you need to worry much in the Nexon unless you take it into unpaved hills / farm-trails or rock climbing. The sump hitting something is really hard to achieve even if you are a marginally watchful driver. Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberKing_91 View Post
Now, the main question is, if I take the car to the Tata service station and ask them to help out with the installation of the light, will they help? If yes, any estimate on how much they'll charge? Or should I head to a car modification shop and get the wiring checked?
Well the ASC won't do this - especially since this in theory voids your electrical warranty (by the book at least). If you want to check and correct the wiring - FNG's electrician is the best bet. Or some renowned accessory store; they can do it too.

Also - while entire country tends to hook up this rear fog lamp with the parking / brake lights - note that it is quite a high-wattage bulb that you piggy-back on an existing wiring & fuse, that is not rated for such a higher current draw, so can eventually result in a blown fuse some day earlier than designed.

I have installed it, and hooked it up to a completely isolated relay-harness that also controls the front fog lamps of my car. Not at all connected to any of car's existing wiring OR BCM. If you want - here is the reference thread for it -

Link to DIY Thread. (DIY: Tata Nexon XZ+ - Installing OEM Rear Fog Lamp)

Last edited by Reinhard : 27th September 2021 at 18:44.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 19:26   #4302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Well the ASC won't do this - especially since this in theory voids your electrical warranty (by the book at least).
============
Link to DIY Thread. (DIY: Tata Nexon XZ+ - Installing OEM Rear Fog Lamp)
Fair point sir. What I'll do is simply unplug the light for the time being. I am planning to have front fog lamps installed and while that is being done, I ll have the rear one rerouted and rewired correctly.
I had seen your thread, realized it is too technical for me to do right now, and went for the easy way out :P
I now know that I can do the job in a pinch, and that there is a much better and neat way to do it too Awesome thread that one though.

Regards,
Kaustav

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th September 2021 at 19:52. Reason: Trimming quoted posts. Avoid quoting entire large posts for replies. Thanks
NovemberKing_91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 15:50   #4303
Senior - BHPian

Very important announcement. My Nexon came with 4 years warranty, and in between they did offer 5 years for new Nexons (For the year 2018-2019). I made a note of this and was writing to them to give me 5th year warranty. They had responded saying 'it's just not possible'. So I was quiet about it. Now, when I was in mood to exchange this Nexon for a 2021 model (Yes, once again a Nexon) Key Motors (The Bangalore dealership) said they will try from their end. And success! Tata Motors has given me 5th Year warranty. I had to pay Rs 8,147, for this 'peace of mind extended warranty'
Quote:
Guys, mine was the first Nexon (Pics taken today). I complete 4 years, 50,000 KMS. Extremely happy with the reliability (No part replaced till date, except consumables), mileage (22KMPL in City, 24KMPL in Highway) and service/costs (6K was the highest I have paid, with oil change) aspects. If I have to buy another car today it would be the Nexon. Car still looks brand new with ceramic treatment done. Big salute to Tata Motors for this stellar performer!
Sebring is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 16:07   #4304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Very important announcement. My Nexon came with 4 years warranty, and in between they did offer 5 years for new Nexons (For the year 2018-2019). I made a note of this and was writing to them to give me 5th year warranty. They had responded saying 'it's just not possible'. So I was quiet about it.
Thats interesting. The 2+3 EW came into force just 1 week after I acquired my Nexon back in 2019. I had immediately phoned the dealership asking for the 5th year top-up. They had said it was not yet configured in the system, but was planned and I would get it. As promised - I was offered the 5th year top-up EW back in 2020 without any hassle at all. Smooth as silk, and completely online. And it is directly from TML as well, not the dealer. Funny how these dealers / ASCs appear so much out of sync, so often!
Quote:
Now, when I was in mood to exchange this Nexon for a 2021 model (Yes, once again a Nexon) Key Motors (The Bangalore dealership) said they will try from their end.
Interesting! Really going for that swap? Or you were playing the dealership folks . A baby as pampered as yours - would fetch gold in the open market. I hope you didn't mean actually "exchange" at the dealership?
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 19:15   #4305
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your kind words, Reinhard. This 'out of warranty' thought was playing in our head, and it grew to a mindless cacophony. I shouldn't have had such thoughts in the first place. Hope I'm forgiven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Interesting! Really going for that swap? Or you were playing the dealership folks. A baby as pampered as yours - would fetch gold in the open market. I hope you didn't mean actually "exchange" at the dealership?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks