Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2020, 16:53   #3301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by toroid View Post
After spending a considerable amount of time doing research for my first car, I had short-listed 2 cars. Vento and Nexon. Loved the way the german beauty drove, it was love at first drive. I booked one as well, but changed my decision after considering the practicality of Nexon. Vento is the one you would want to go out with but at the end of the day, Nexon is the one you would want to get married to. Next year I'm planning to travel to some remote locations, and IMHO Nexon is a more suitable car for such trips.
True. A sedan is always a drivers' car. But then our roads (or lack thereof), traffic conditions and overall terrain now a days need higher set cars for practical reasons. Nexon is a good balance of driving fun + practicality of a car on stilts. I'll try to answer some of your questions.
Quote:
1: Is there any way to install a traction control switch in the Nexon?
While there will always a way for who finds it - I'll strongly recommend not fiddling with OEM things that deal with vehicle behaviour under emergency conditions. Any malfunction can have severe consequences.
Quote:
2: I'm not a big fan of the instrument cluster on Nexon 2020, would prefer old school analog dials or a TFT screen like the one on the Altroz. Any way to upgrade or downgrade?
I don't like the digital consoles either. Thankfully I have the analogue one. However - its the norm of the future and if not today, your next car mostly will have a digital one anyway. Get used to it now. At least this one has a good amount of information on tap. TPMS, coolant temperature gauge etc. The hassle will not be worth in installing the old spec cluster & then there is no guarantee or information on whether all the things will work PnP. If any couplers are changed - it won't be easy.
Quote:
3: Are cup-holders near the front arm-rest usable? I can imagine myself driving on the highway early in the morning with my coffee mug and soft rock music playing in the background.
If you use the tall type metallic coffee-cups - they work OK with the holders inside the tambour door. Anything else/smaller is rather tricky to use from inside that storage.
Quote:
4: I read the DIY guide on auto-dimming IRVM. But Not sure If I can order one from Aliexpress now. Any recommendation on where to buy one from India?
Sooner or later I guess the channel will open up. Already a lot of stuff is getting shipped to India from AliExpress. They are now routing things via Malay etc. So you can wait a bit & do the project after the supply is back on track. The manual dim IRVM works OK till then. You can try to source the Harrier auto dim IRVM from service center as a spare part & then install it. But it will be far costlier than what you'd pay on AliExpress.
Quote:
5: There's a rearview monitor available at Amazon. Can it replace IRVM?
I feel some things are best left analogue as primary. You can add electronic monitors for rear view etc. But I personally would still suggest maintaining the good ol' glass mirror for rear view. There is a 100% guarantee that the mirror won't have any malfunction unless it breaks.
Quote:
5: Any recommendation for a dashcam that can double as an action camera as well or vice-versa. Don't need anything fancy. Will use the action camera to capture occasional sking, surfing, or paragliding videos.
I don't know of anything that can be dual purpose. Action cameras need a much stronger build packaging. Also - dashcams tend to have really poor onboard batteries. They won't last long at all since they are supposed to run off car's battery in general. Get both of them separately to ensure good results for both purposes IMO.
Quote:
6: What is the best upgrade for the low-beam?
1. Get a 55W HID conversion kit H7 from Blaze India (Find them on Facebook if you are on Facebook. If you aren't - like me - PM me & I'll share the contact details) in 4300K. With canbus adapter it retails at 4900INR for the kit.
2. Install 35W H7 Xenarc ECO HID conversion kit from from OSRAM. Its available on Amazon but will be costlier than the above option. I have used it. Its far better than the stock halogens & also lower on power consumption. I'm thinking of installing the above mentioned 55W kit now.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 20:12   #3302
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

My brother has finally booked the Nexon Petrol XZ+(O) - Silver. Delivery is expected in the coming month. It was his decision to go for the Nexon, and I was the one throwing other options at him. Only yesterday dis I watch in detail a video showing all the updates and conveyed to him. "I am done scouting. You have chosen well."

While we wait, can we have everyone's input on the following:
  1. The quotation mentions INR 21,500/- for the 2+3 year warranty whereas the website says 16,949/- + GST (when bought within 0-90 days). Anyone has the details on the maximum warranty option available on the Nexon.
  2. We've been shared details of an accessory pack as shown below.
    Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_7586.png
    • Are the offered Seat Covers a good fit? (doesn't look like it)
    • Do the carpets stay in their place or slide about?
    • Chrome moulding is the only think not required.
    • Does it seem well priced?
  3. Insurance at INR 31,165/- has just the Zero Dep. add on over 1-Yr comprehensive and 3-Yr third party as standard package. Are we paying too much?
  4. Are the roof rails functional? What is the load rating?
Old 21st October 2020, 20:57   #3303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post

The quotation mentions INR 21,500/- for the 2+3 year warranty whereas the website says 16,949/- + GST (when bought within 0-90 days). Anyone has the details on the maximum warranty option available on the Nexon.
2 + 3 year or upto 125000kms is the maximum. I purchased a 3 year warranty within 90 days and I paid INR 21,500. Mine is a AMT so the price was 18220+ 18% GST. Assuming yours is XZ+(O) Petrol, the warranty amount will be 16949+18%GST =20,000

Quote:
Does it seem well priced?
I don't think so. Ask and they will give you the mud flaps and floor mats complimentary.
Shrey_1520 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 21:29   #3304
BHPian

Quote:
My brother has finally booked the Nexon Petrol XZ+(O) - Silver. Delivery is expected in the coming month.
[*]Are the offered Seat Covers a good fit? (doesn't look like it)[*]Do the carpets stay in their place or slide about?
Congrats to your brother on Nexon.
Yes the Tata original seat covers have a good fit, let him make sure they do use clips for securing them, as well as the cords provided.
I bought aftermarket a roll of noodle mats, and got them cut to size, I was provided rubber ones which I place below the noodle mats.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 21:37   #3305
BHPian

I am experiencing problems with android auto in my new phone OnePlus 8T. It connects and disconnects immediately. Has anyone faced and/or resolved this issue with the new android?

My old phone worked like a charm on this front.
Old 21st October 2020, 23:20   #3306
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey_1520 View Post
2 + 3 year or upto 125000kms is the maximum. Assuming yours is XZ+(O) Petrol, the warranty amount will be 16949+18%GST =20,000

Ask and they will give you the mud flaps and floor mats complimentary.
Thanks for the details on the warranty. This is a purchase through CSD, I highly doubt the dealer is getting any margin to offer freebies. No harm in asking though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Yes the Tata original seat covers have a good fit, let him make sure they do use clips for securing them, as well as the cords provided.
Thanks, will get this checked or installed in my presence.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 00:34   #3307
BHPian

Need suggestions from fellow owners. My colleague who has no knowledge of cars but can drive has sought my help for an automatic petrol car with sunroof. She knows driving but doesn’t drive much. They had a wagonr. She is looking for a fuss free ownership , easy to drive and reasonable fuel economy.

Sunroof is something she and her daughter are particular about. I have shortlisted the Hyundai venue and Tata nexon. Budget was 9 lakhs OTR which doesn’t meet the requirement. Venue has sunroof in the sx variant which is coming close to eye watering 14 lakhs. Nexon is something I have coaxed her to check, will be talking to the Tata dealers tomorrow for pricing.

My question, can the nexon provide a peaceful ownership ? She knows absolutely nothing about cars and totally relies on my advice. Is the car easy to handle , park ? Don’t want any regrets.

Existing AMT owners, please suggest. We will be checking out the cars this Friday.

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 22nd October 2020 at 00:36.
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:08   #3308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
My question, can the nexon provide a peaceful ownership ? She knows absolutely nothing about cars and totally relies on my advice. Is the car easy to handle , park ? Don’t want any regrets.
Nexon XMA (S) should fit the budget or may need stretch a little.
Plus if she fancies touchscreen then that (new Blaupunkt unit with canbus) can be opted too from the showroom itself.
Rest the car has everything a normal car buyer would need.

Regarding reliability, Nexon has been in market for more than 3 years now and still selling well.
So if we can judge by that the car has no major issues.
If we look at it as a machine, which can never be perfect then ownership period would be more than enjoyable.
I own it for more than 2 years and I haven't faced any major issue and had only one unscheduled ASC visit for a wiper which got loose.

On mileage front I think you should be clear with her before hand, that don't expect WagonR level KMPL figures.
Real world mileage would be around 10-12 KMPL in city and about 15-16 on highways.
But I think these figures are what every other compact SUV is delivering +/- 1 KMPL.

Keep us posted, what she decides.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:38   #3309
BHPian

Quote:
She is looking for a fuss free ownership , easy to drive and reasonable fuel economy.

Sunroof is something she and her daughter are particular about.
Toyota & Honda makes cars which specifically fit this requirement.

Ask her to have a look at the Jazz CVT. The V CVT after discounts should be close to 9L. If they are adamant about the sunroof, they will have to increase their budget.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:42   #3310
BHPian

Quote:

Existing AMT owners, please suggest. We will be checking out the cars this Friday.
I took delivery of Nexon xza+ last sunday, and my wife - who had only driven an esteem in the city till then - started driving to her office from monday. Its about 65km to and fro in regular mumbai traffic. The amt might not be thrilling but it's no nonsense. And the reverse camera helps out in parking.
zhopudey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:16   #3311
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

AMT has one problem in Nexon, in incline it moves couple of seconds roll-back and then start to move ahead, to manage this you have to use hand-brake, else bumper to bumper traffic in incline it might hit someone in the back.

But with new Nexon top-end has hill-hold feature which holds the car for 3 seconds in incline, so it solves this problem.

So if you are buying top end model nothing to worry.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:27   #3312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
AMT has one problem in Nexon, in incline it moves couple of seconds roll-back and then start to move ahead, to manage this you have to use hand-brake, else bumper to bumper traffic in incline it might hit someone in the back.
This is not a problem in the 2020 Nexon. 2020 Nexon has hill-hold assist as a standard feature now. So even XMA gets a "proper" hill hold - where the brakes are not released for 2 seconds even after releasing the pedal. The problem you mentioned was only in the pre-facelift Nexon.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:37   #3313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
But with new Nexon top-end has hill-hold feature which holds the car for 3 seconds in incline, so it solves this problem.
Are you sure the feature is limited to XZA models? Their website lists the feature for XMA as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-untitled.png  

Coyote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:55   #3314
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
This is not a problem in the 2020 Nexon. 2020 Nexon has hill-hold assist as a standard feature now.
Stands corrected then, thanks for update.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:44   #3315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Nexon XMA (S) should fit the budget or may need stretch a little.
ASC visit for a wiper which got loose.

On mileage front I think you should be clear with her before hand, that don't expect WagonR level KMPL figures.

Keep us posted, what she decides.
Yes, totally with you. Will mention this to her clearly. Their usage being quite minimal fuel economy shouldn't matter much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Toyota & Honda makes cars which specifically fit this requirement.

Ask her to have a look at the Jazz CVT. The V CVT after discounts should be close to 9L. If they are adamant about the sunroof, they will have to increase their budget.
Wonderful ! Didn't even think of the Jazz until you called out. The 2020 Jazz comes with sunroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
I took delivery of Nexon xza+ last sunday, and my wife - who had only driven an esteem in the city till then - started driving to her office from monday.
Congrats on your acquisition

Have reached out to Hyundai who confirmed they will come with the test drive vehicle to our place tomorrow. Tata is yet to confirm and I couldn't reach anybody at Honda on the numbers provided. Looking at paying a visit today evening.

One last question, among AMT and CVT which one will provide more friendly driving experience. She hates driving but needs to drive, hence the ask. I have zilch experience with automatics, never driven one so does she. Tomorrow's test drives should help us with some insights.

Will keep you all posted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks