Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2020, 15:40   #3256
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

The wait is coming to an end! I'll get my Nexon xza+ by saturday, or sunday at the latest. Would like to refresh some pointers on general driving and run-in period.

1) Start the engine, wait half a min. Start the a/c, wait another min.
2) Start moving out slowing, go easy on the throttle.
3) Shift to N if stopping for more than 10secs.
4) *Am yet to figure out climbing up or down inclines.
5) Always look left and right before crossing the road
6) Before shutting the engine, let it idle for a short while.
7) Do not use sports mode during run-in period.
zhopudey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 15:52   #3257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
The wait is coming to an end! I'll get my Nexon xza+ by saturday, or sunday at the latest. Would like to refresh some pointers on general driving and run-in period.

2) Start moving out slowing, go easy on the throttle.
3) Shift to N if stopping for more than 10secs.
5) Always look left and right before crossing the road
6) Before shutting the engine, let it idle for a short while.
7) Do not use sports mode during run-in period.

Don't go beyond 1500-1800 rpm during run-in period.
Do use the driving modes.
Never use left feet for braking.
You will hear a sweet hissing/priming sound when you open the driver door.

All the best.
Old 7th October 2020, 15:56   #3258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post

Don't go beyond 1500-1800 rpm during run-in period.
Do use the driving modes.
Never use left feet for braking.
You will hear a sweet hissing/priming sound when you open the driver door.

All the best.
Do we need to keep an eye on the rpm even in automatics? Wouldn't the car upshift as needed? What about this sound on opening the door?
Old 7th October 2020, 16:08   #3259
BHPian

Quote:
Do we need to keep an eye on the rpm even in automatics? Wouldn't the car upshift as needed? What about this sound on opening the door?
What I meant was don't race/reckless driving, floor the accelerator.

It's the AMT unit priming, just cautioned you, enjoy your ride.
Old 7th October 2020, 16:58   #3260
BHPian

Quote:
I have driven the Nexon AMT on quite steep roads and never had issues. On uneven country roads during the climb, I usually change to Manual mode as in Auto mode, there is a chance of upshift to 2nd gear and you lose the momentum. Probably the Sports mode would work to climb steep hilly roads but I have never tried that. On good patch of roads with whatever inclination, I had no issues driving in City mode.

Also, Hill hold feature works as expected. The sensor detects the tilt of the body when the car is stopped on a slope and prevents rolling backwards.

During downhill, you will notice a increase in RPM which from what I read is normal.
Old 7th October 2020, 17:11   #3261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey_1520 View Post
During downhill, you will notice a increase in RPM which from what I read is normal.
On a slope - the RPM increases in proportion to the car's speed increase in-gear. Identical to a manual transmission.
The trouble in case of an automatic/AMT is - the logic will actually upshift when the optimum speed-rpm ratio is reached. And this immediately removes engine braking & gives a slight further acceleration also.

Either -
  1. Keep your foot on the brake pedal & use it well. (This is what results in AMT cars eating brake pads faster than MT cars.)
  2. Shift into manual mode & ensure the car does not upshift. This generally works since the safety upshift threshold in manual mode won't be reached easily.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 10:22   #3262
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations.. Pics please.

This long wait is not required honestly.
It won't be feasible to follow it every time.
So what I do is drive sedately i.e. almost without any acceleration till the engine warms up.
There is an indicator on dash which goes off once engine is warmed up.
Post that you can drive normally.

Also, if I am returning from a long drive 2hr plus drive, I idle the engine in parking for about a 1 min.
This is feasible as we anyways are unloading the car.
Old 8th October 2020, 20:42   #3263
BHPian

Found this on instagram, looks like a XE model.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CF945NVg...=15u3km0x0ok8d
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-screenshot_202010082022442.png  

damodar is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 16:59   #3264

My mind was skeptical between Sonet diesel automatic and Nexon diesel AMT. Took booking for both, and visited KIA during launch. Somehow felt Nexon to have better stance and also interiors were more pleasing. Didn't test drive Sonet though and cancelled the booking.

I have had multiple test drives of Nexon through different road conditions and traffic.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20201008_103442__01.jpg

SA informed me that my car has arrived at stockyard, Trivandrum Motors and above is the pic. It's XZA+ Diesel AMT. Expecting delivery by 14th Oct.

Didn't opt for any accessories or final finishes they tried to push like 3M underbody coating, waxing etc.

This will be for my wife as an upgrade from her Alto K10, for which I got a good price from an individual.
Will post more pics once we take delivery.
aceplaybill is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 17:23   #3265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplaybill View Post
My mind was skeptical between Sonet diesel automatic and Nexon diesel AMT. Took booking for both, and visited KIA during launch. Somehow felt Nexon to have better stance and also interiors were more pleasing. Didn't test drive Sonet though and cancelled the booking.

I have had multiple test drives of Nexon through different road conditions and traffic.

SA informed me that my car has arrived at stockyard, Trivandrum Motors and above is the pic. It's XZA+ Diesel AMT. Expecting delivery by 14th Oct.

Didn't opt for any accessories or final finishes they tried to push like 3M underbody coating, waxing etc.

This will be for my wife as an upgrade from her Alto K10, for which I got a good price from an individual.
Will post more pics once we take delivery.
Congrats on getting the safest car.

Underbody coating comes from factory, just get the basic accessories, and enjoy your ride.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 00:10   #3266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplaybill View Post
SA informed me that my car has arrived at stockyard, Trivandrum Motors and above is the pic. It's XZA+ Diesel AMT. Expecting delivery by 14th
Congrats!

I'm getting my nexon tomm morning

Just had a sleepy thought. How does everyone travel to the dealership to take delivery? By rickshaw or bus? Even if it's a merc or bmw?
zhopudey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 11:57   #3267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
On a slope - the RPM increases in proportion to the car's speed increase in-gear. Identical to a manual transmission.
The trouble in case of an automatic/AMT is - the logic will actually upshift when the optimum speed-rpm ratio is reached. And this immediately removes engine braking & gives a slight further acceleration also.

Either -
  1. Keep your foot on the brake pedal & use it well. (This is what results in AMT cars eating brake pads faster than MT cars.)
  2. Shift into manual mode & ensure the car does not upshift. This generally works since the safety upshift threshold in manual mode won't be reached easily.
The impression I got while going downhill was that the car was holding its gears while the RPM went up particularly in sports AMT mode. i did think of the manual mode but I didn't have to use it. This was on a drive from Virajpet to Kerala border early this year. I maybe mistaken though.
Old 11th October 2020, 16:04   #3268
BHPian

Got my Nexon! Looks stunning in white. Took a short round with my family, and didn't notice any jerks while shifting. I'll soon get used to this amt.
Was waiting at a red signal, and when it turned green I quickly pushed the gear knob ahead to put it into 1st. Whoops! Luckily I realised my mistake before bumping into the car behind
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20201011_153212.jpg  

zhopudey is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 18:57   #3269

I bought my nexon( xm) in 2019. Third servicing was in June 2020, after much delay due to the pandemic. Last week I noticed some liquid dripping and contacted the service centre. I was told that there was a 'gear oil leak'. Since it is under warranty the service manager suggested changing the entire 'assembly'. After reaching the service centre, the technician removed the cap and we got just around 100 ml of the liquid. The manager also told me that this is a manufacturing defect. I would also have to shell out around Rs. 2000 for the oil change and the labour charges. Do I have to really pay that much?
Also what do nexon owners think about the brakes? I thought there was something abnormal with my brakes, the way the ABS worked and the strange sound it made when I applied the brakes on slippery roads. I reported this several times but each time they said that's how the ABS worked in Nexon. I have a hunch there is a connection between this and the oil leak. Am I right?

I bought this car after much thought and research. I am feeling completely distraught that it has be kept in the service centre for more than a week. I have been recommending nexon to whosoever wanted my opinion. It feels like a foot in the mouth moment for me. Yes I agree such instances are rare and manufacturing defects are possible but what matters to me is my personal experience. This incident definitely factor in when deciding my next car.
Here are the pics. Sorry I don't have better pictures. The roads are really muddy here especially after the rains.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20201005_132747-copy.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20201005wa0008.jpeg
swansong is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 19:55   #3270
Senior - BHPian

Did TBHP staff review 2020 facelift and AMT versions sometime after initial review? On the first post I didn't see links to newer version like for some other cars' reviews.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks