Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2019, 09:55   #2806
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed Monis View Post
What is 40.5 here which you taking about. By your calculation you mean to say i should set the trip meter to 0.00 at refueling and then check the distance traveled and add the initial DTE to the total trip and divide it by number of liters refueled. DTE should be the one which the MID showed before refueling or the current DTE.
Hi Syed,
I reset the trip to Zero. Say you drive for 200 KM and the current DTE shows 400KM, then you do (200+400)/40.5. Else use can (MID FE)/1.22.
Both the above calculation give nearly same value as T2T.

How I arrived at 40.5 was pure trial and error over last 21 fill-ups. I feel either the unusable fuel or emergency reserve is 3.5L. So 44 (fuel tank capacity)-3.5 gives 40.5.

This calculation is surprisingly accurate with T2T method. I fill up at same Fuel bunk at the same time every time.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 11:36   #2807

a Toyota Etios Liva running the same roads and same distance has not had a single issue somehow apart from tyre replacements, it still feels equally sturdy to drive hence this question.

Anyways thank you for the reply and clarification.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th November 2019 at 19:22. Reason: Minor edits and reducing unnecessary spacing as it inconveniences mobile users. Thanks.
Old 29th November 2019, 12:09   #2808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintofinternet View Post
a Toyota Etios Liva running the same roads and same distance has not had a single issue somehow apart from tyre replacements.
Can't disagree. Toyota seems to always get things bullet proof. But then they are selling the same Etios and nothing else. Their total interest is selling Innova & Fortuners off late. And then the Glanza. Dhuh!

Having a sub4m crossover from Toyota would surely have helped make a huge difference. But I don't think their's is coming to our shore. We'll get a re-badged Brezza by the looks of it.

If you tend to take car to really poor condition roads due to necessity, why not look for the previous generation Duster AWD if any is still available in stock? I had checked just around the corner when the face-lift was coming & they had the RXZ AWD in factory stock. With good discounts also. Thats another rugged vehicle built for abuse (except for the well known injector issue). Give a call to Renault Baner & check.
Old 29th November 2019, 12:19   #2809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintofinternet View Post
Are there any quality issues with the Nexon after extensive offroading for a long period?

Like clanking or loose object noise or driving load etc?

My Indica GLS (Xeta Petrol) was a wonderful vehicle for first 80000 kms and then it all started... and today she is 1,60,000 kms old and i have replaced almost everything i.e. the suspension (replaced twice), tyres (replaced 4 times), ac blower (burnt, replaced once) and most important the overheating issues.

I am wondering if I should go in for the Nexon as the issues with a Tata vehicle is the problems usually start when it comes nearing 100,000 kms and before that the vehicles have no issues.

As driving on bad surfaces (no roads exists) where i have to visit atleast 2 times a week, i was wondering if Nexon would start giving similar quality issues in it's later period???
I don't think these qualify as quality issues! I can list down the things I had to replace in my Maruti Swift driven pre-dominantly in & around Bangalore for 1.4 lakh kms, and I still say it was damn reliable car:

- Suspension replaced after 70k kms, and it was again sore when I sold it.
- Windshield glass replaced twice, and third one was cracked too
- Coolant hoses replaced twice after leakage
- Some AC valve burnt after overheating due to radiator cooling-fan failure at low speeds. Both coil & fan replaced at 1.2 lakh km
- 3 set of tyres (more for you since your driving is off-road)
- EGR valve completely blocked and malfunctioned after 1.15l kms, still maanged to make it work with some jugaad

So all these are normal maintenance issues, not quality issues! I now have Nexon, and it sure feels much better put together than Swift and Indica Xeta is 2-3 generations older car, same issues can't be expected in Nexon.

For sure Nexon ain't a Toyota but neither any other car apart from Toyota in this range/category will be!
asethi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 12:20   #2810
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Low beam bulbs

Can I get better low beam visibility (preferably warm white) by just changing the bulbs without cutting/splicing/HID installation etc.? If yes, what are those bulbs? Asking for Nexon XZ+.
Old 29th November 2019, 13:33   #2811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Can I get better low beam visibility (preferably warm white) by just changing the bulbs without cutting/splicing/HID installation etc.? If yes, what are those bulbs? Asking for Nexon XZ+.
You want warm = yellow light or white light? For more throw in same halogen yellow colour temperature your only option is - installing 80W Osram/Philips H7 halogen bulbs. They are quite cheap around 100-150 Rs tops a piece. (I'm not suggesting 55W XV+/NB+. They won't give the improvement you are looking for.)

The light will increase visibly, no doubt about it. The stock wiring is capable to drive these bulbs without any need for relay etc. However - note that the 55W bulbs already heat up like hell. 80W will take it a step further.
So the life won't be too long if your usage pattern is of more than 2 hours in city traffic every day. Below this - the heat would be safe for the housing etc.

(Suggesting this since you've ruled out anything else. For real utility, HID conversion kit is still the best value for money & improvement. And its easy too.)

Last edited by Reinhard : 29th November 2019 at 13:36.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 14:22   #2812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
I upgraded to Philips Xtreme vison plus 55w. Light improvement is definitely there though not to the tune of 100% more like 30-40% tops. I found it decent and no issue on the wiring as well

Its a straight fit, same wattage and lesser heat than halogen, you can check Osram as well.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 14:30   #2813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
same wattage and lesser heat than halogen
This is a mathematical impossibility.

XV+/NB+ are halogen bulbs. It is clearly mentioned so on the Philips site too. I have used for many years. They heat up like lava too. Try touching its base after using for 5 minutes.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-xv.jpg
Old 30th November 2019, 19:12   #2814

I was just curious about the shark fin antenna in xz+ having gps but it's of no use as Android auto takes GPS inputs from mobile rather than sharkfin antenna GPS. Does anyone know the use of this inbuilt gps? Also if it's there then can we track our Nexon using it? Actually I was shocked to see one of the recent posts on our portal where a brezza was stolen in 10 mins.
Falcon91 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 00:16   #2815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon91 View Post
I was just curious about the shark fin antenna in xz+ having gps but it's of no use as Android auto takes GPS inputs from mobile rather than sharkfin antenna GPS. Does anyone know the use of this inbuilt gps?
Android Auto has the capability to use car GPS instead of phone by negotiating it with head unit software. Generally this gives better precision. Thats the use of the GPS antenna in the shark fin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon91 View Post
Also if it's there then can we track our Nexon using it? Actually I was shocked to see one of the recent posts on our portal where a brezza was stolen in 10 mins.
No, its not a full fledged tracker. Its only a passive receiver antenna working with simple triangulation concept. It doesn't relay back its own position for tracking.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 13:36   #2816
BHPian

I don't know if this is the right section to post the below mentioned problem regarding my Nexon and please excuse me if not, since I am typing this due to an attempted theft which happened on 29th November midnight.

On 29th November my car was parked as usual in front of my quarters and around 01:00 AM, one of my neighbour called me stating that someone entered into his car and ran away when he came out. Further checking by ourselves revealed that the thieves had entered into my car and broken the driver side window glass and entered into the car and stole a RayBan Sunglasses and tried to open the dashboard panels , damaging the AC vent, scratching the Infotainment system(thief was trying to remove it apparently) , damaged the glove box, took away the 70Mai dashcam pro and a Vinayaka Idol.

Further we found out that thieves had abandoned the dash cam some 30ft away from the car near by a half opened Yamaha Fascino. The dashcam had all the video starting from the time the thief touched my car and was inserting something into the B pillar to shatter the glass. His face reflection was visible from the front windshield but not so clear to identify him. While he was holding the dashcam it continued to record due to the motion sensor of the camera and due to our bad luck it didn't had his face covered.

Soon we called the local police and RPF personnel and gave a formal complaint.

In my friend's Honda Jazz, the rear left window glass was broken and the dashboard, AC vent and meter console trims were opened in order to steal the touchscreen unit.

Both of our cars didn't sound any alarm while all this happened. Could anyone please let me know if any Impact sensing anti theft security alarm can be fixed which would warn us in such circumstances apart from the stock central locking and company fitted engine immobilizer?

We need something which would sound an alarm when someone tries to break the glass or hit hard on the car body.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20191130_080454.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20191130_080528.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20191130_080447.jpg  

vijith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 02:25   #2817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijith View Post
Could anyone please let me know if any Impact sensing anti theft security alarm can be fixed which would warn us in such circumstances apart from the stock central locking and company fitted engine immobilizer?

We need something which would sound an alarm when someone tries to break the glass or hit hard on the car body.
Sorry to see the state of the vehicle. This indeed is very bad. I remember there was this security system fitted in my father's Wagon R by Nippon which had impact sensor too. So if someone tried to hit the vehicle hard, it would set off the alarm. It was so crazy that on diwali night I had to manually lock the vehicle as due to fire crackers noise it would set the alarm off after every couple of minutes. Not sure if they still have anything like that now however you can check with any Nippon dealer.
I would suggest to Park the vehicle in a brightly lit spot and install a night vision camera nearby the parking spot. It may not stop the theft however you never know it may capture the face which might help with the investigation.
racsaxen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 09:40   #2818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racsaxen View Post
Not sure if they still have anything like that now however you can check with any Nippon dealer.
They sure are available. Not just Nippon, quite a few other brands with louder twin siren hooters also.

The trouble is - the better ones are all coming as a kit together with 4 door central lock actuators. Since his is a top trim, it already has a central lock integrated into BCM. I'm not sure if just the siren can be installed & how if yes.

What his requirement is, is a simple g-sensor/accelerometer coupled as a trigger for a loud siren. Perhaps hooked up simply to the horns. And - it should get disabled in the ACC mode, so a negative closed circuit that switches off when power is in ACC fuse. But that's more of a custom solution. Haven't seen a ready-made COTS product surprisingly. I'm sure there is a good market for it.
Old 4th December 2019, 11:23   #2819
BHPian

I purchased a new Nexon XZA+ Diesel last month on the 5th.

Loving the car overall. The interiors are plush and considering I am a 100kg plus 6"2' person the comfort in driving is amazing, coming from a hatch back.

Few small issues that seem to irritate me at times, any solution would be nice

1. The infotainment.

a. My version is dated 2018 and sometimes Android Auto acts strange. First when i used to change the drive mode the car would announce the mode i shifted to. That has stopped now for some reason.
b.If i mute the song playing through android auto i am unable to replay it. Have to switch modes Android Auto -> AM -> FM -> Android Auto and then press play to continue the song.
c. Sometimes after a call on android auto the song doesnt continue again and have to cycle modes again and get it to start.

2. At times when i brake or i move the car on uneven roads (Mumbai and my area has tonnes of that) i hear a dull clunk sound that seems to come from the rear. Feels like some oscillating thing is making the sound. The car has passed 1200km and i need to take it for the first service just need to know what i need to tell because the sound doesnt come regularly

3. My Diesel mileage is coming to around 14.5km/l. This is T2T. My drives are usually smooth, only the first 2km takes me 45mins. Anyone from Shilphata was understand

4. Today morning while driving and trying to fit in a gap got my left side slightly scratch near the wheel arch on the door panel. No dents just the paint seems flaked. Is there anything i can do to fix this without burning an additional hole in my pocket (after my car purchase). I've seen people detailing their cars. Can that help and what will the approx cost for that.

5. Some how the car feels bouncier than my old first gen Figo. Its not unstable or anything. Steady but the Figo felt more planted on the road.
sriks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 11:35   #2820
BHPian

Got my seat cover done yesterday.
Cost: 16K (Original leather was 42K)
Material: Montana art leather
Steering: Original leather
Colour : Black (I wanted Tan, wife wanted black)

We went to Imperial leather on Saturday and placed the order. Mr. Siva is nice humble person. Spent time on answering our questions. Finally we decided on Montana art leather perforated version.
He was kind enough to provide genuine leather steering cover (maybe cos we did not negotiate on the cost)

Asked us to come on Tuesday and get the fitting done. They removed the original seat cover and installed the new ones. Fit and finish is quite good.
After driving sometime realised how breathable the fabric seats are, I could not spend 5 min without AC.
The support is way better in new seat cover compared to old fabric. I hope this stays on for long. I wanted Tan, but was concerned it may either look tacky or great, black was the safer option (wife's option) so went ahead with it.
They added much needed rear pocket that was missing in original seats
We thought about genuine leather but felt as I am the only one in car for 80% of the time, it's too expensive so went ahead with Art leather.
Pics of the work done.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-seats-taken-out.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-wip.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-front-seat-solo_reduced.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-front-seat-2_reduced.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-sterring.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-rear-seat_-reduced.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-rear-seat-2_reduced.jpg

Last edited by aniyo : 4th December 2019 at 12:00.
aniyo is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed