Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2019, 13:46   #2746
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Completed a DIY upgrade of the stock fog lamps with HID projectors over the Diwali weekend. Went for a totally different kind of festival of lights this time .

The thread is now up in DIY section. Available here for anyone looking for upgrades on their Nexons -

Link - TBHP DIY thread
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 23:12   #2747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
my car did not start today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post
Check the battery
It turned out to be some jamming happening due to immobilizer. And then it did drain the battery to some extent. Surprisingly, the roadside assistance was quick and the mechanic said that this can happen if the car is parked under high-tension wires.

He also suggested me to get the immbilizer checked once, which i will do sometime next week.
Overall good experience with the RSA but i am a bit worried about why it really happened!
avingodb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 21:24   #2748
BHPian

With the announcement of Tata Nexon as yet the only five star rated Indian car in the latest results of the NCAP crash tests, the laidback attitude of the marketing team to capitalise on this great news is quite surprising. There are many users on Twitter commending the Nexon, yet there are no full fledged efforts from Tata's marketing team to keep the topic in the trending list.

A lost opportunity for Tata Motors to convert the mileage obsessed consumer into an informed and safety concious one.

Last edited by trek : 2nd November 2019 at 21:31.
trek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 21:45   #2749
BANNED

Hi Friends, I've since booked XZ petrol Silver variant around a month ago with a local dealer in Chennai and now they say Silver is no more available for Nexon in TM. They are forcing me to choose other colours. My second option can be Glasgow grey and I would like know from the esteemed members if anybody had tinkered with the colour of Glasgow grey Nexon and if you can post a few snaps will help me arrive at a quick decision.
Old 2nd November 2019, 21:56   #2750
BHPian

Nexon despite being a good car has some serious flaws. Headlight and Fog lights being the main issues. Stock headlights are inadequate and I have mentioned on this forum as well.

Requirements:
1. Stock power. No wire splitting, no relay
2. No white light. They are pretty useless in rain and fog.
3. Preferred plug and play to avoid warranty hassle.

Called Concorde motors in Bangalore. Asked them if they have any solution. They told, can't upgrade at their place even if I get my own bulbs. Against policy. Some TATA service center do and I did not have the patience to go that far.

Searched the forum for both bulbs and a place to fit them. After going through I narrowed down on Philips Xtreme vision plus 55w. Simple straight forward fitment. Checked with Concorde, same wattage will not void warranty.
I initially approached Carsmith near jakkasandara, used to give my Brio for servicing there. They had work loaded through the extended weekend and referred me to Sachin Auto shop.
On this forum there are mixed reviews and since mine was a straightforward fitment decided to go to this shop.

Total cost including fitment: 1500 for lowbeams. Highbeam seem to be fine for now so did not get that done.
The initial setting was quite off.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-before-setting.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-before-setting_2.jpg

Went to them again and got the lowbeams aligned.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-after-setting.jpg

Much better than before. Also bought Elegance Neck pillow, Rs.1400 for a pair
Tata Nexon : Official Review-neck-pillow.jpeg

Fog Lights:
Nexon comes in with H16 holder. As per Schin auto shop, H8, H11 and H16 are all same and he showed me a fog light box which had the same mentioned.
The problem, this is 55w and Nexon comes in 19w. They claim it will not affect the electrical. Their plan is if the fuse rating is 10A, they will change the fuse to 15A and install the 55w fogs. As per them there will no strain on the electrical system.
Need advise on this part. Looking forward for your comments.
aniyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 22:20   #2751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny121 View Post
My second option can be Glasgow grey and I would like know from the esteemed members if anybody had tinkered with the colour of Glasgow grey Nexon and if you can post a few snaps will help me arrive at a quick decision.
Few pages back I have uploaded Grey in single tone. Hope that helps.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 22:36   #2752
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Few pages back I have uploaded Grey in single tone. Hope that helps.
I was thinking about the white line in X and above the door. The white line is bit of dampener for me..can anything can be done for that stretch.
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:02   #2753
BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking about the white line in X and above the door. The white line is bit of dampener for me..can anything can be done for that stretch.
Few people have done a black or grey wrap on the white line. I feel the line breaks the monotony. You can leave it for a few days and if you don’t like it go to 3M for a wrap
Old 3rd November 2019, 14:41   #2754
BHPian

Quote:
Nexon despite being a good car has some serious flaws. Headlight and Fog lights being the main issues.
Seems to be a general trend now-a-days with all brands.HAve experience with Renault-Toyota and Maruti .Not sure about the rationale.If it is to ensure that the lights do not cause problems to the oncoming driver,then it is failing miserably as we now use high-beams at most times because the low-beam is not safe for our driving.I face this problem wherever there are medians...some folks just jump out of the same catching you off-guard.Not their fault either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
With the announcement of Tata Nexon as yet the only five star rated Indian car in the latest results of the NCAP crash tests, the laidback attitude of the marketing team to capitalise....A lost opportunity for Tata Motors to convert the mileage obsessed consumer into an informed and safety concious one.
Looks like TM's coffers are full and hence not really interested in selling their cars.

Quote:
Hi Friends, I've since booked XZ petrol Silver variant around a month ago with a local dealer in Chennai and now they say Silver is no more available for Nexon in TM. They are forcing me to choose other colours. My second option can be Glasgow grey and I would like know from the esteemed members if anybody had tinkered with the colour of Glasgow grey Nexon and if you can post a few snaps will help me arrive at a quick decision......I was thinking about the white line in X and above the door. The white line is bit of dampener for me..can anything can be done for that stretch.
Have posted a few snaps of mine.I do not have the Discovery Channel sticker on my car but have 'photo-shopped' it for reference.But i personally did not like it.

I have the Glasgow Grey and i too hated the white line and thought will use 'wraps' to cover it.But now when i think of it,the line in white seems to be good from the safety perspective. For sure,white,to whatever minimal extent it is present, helps the other drivers in spotting you.I have now come to peace with it.Stick some good decals on the doors and back and it will change the look of your car. The Orange with Grey looks great if you can carry it off. White with Grey top is another good option.Stick a few decals and it looks class.Check out Reinhard's post where he stuck the compass decal on his white nexon.

Quote:
Got a call from TASS today . Requested me to get the car for a check-up. Seems they are 'updating' the radiator coolant for petrol vehicles .Will take 2-3 hours for the same. Shall post an update once i get this done tentatively this Saturday.
Got the same done yesterday at Venkataramana Motors,Kushaiguda.As Vijith mentioned,seems the shape of the radiator pipe which is currently in an inverted L shape will be bent a little bit so that it is not damaged from barriers on the road.Two clamps were removed..one from inside the bonnet and one from outside and replaced with new shape clamps.It took around an hour to close the job. Except for the fact that i was given an appointment for 11:30 am..as usual i ensure that i'm with the car during service..but the work started only at 1:30 pm and that too after after i made a scene,everything else is a 10/10.Service manager Mr.Rajmouli is a wonderful guy..explained all details to me and he along-with his entire staff were very apologetic that the delay was caused.Have attached the pics including the bill.

Bought a set of 2 Seat-belt pad/pillow from Amazon for INR 299.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-car-back.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-car-side.png  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-seat-beltpillo.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-radiator.jpg  

Attached Images

Ram78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 20:43   #2755
BHPian

Does it make sense to buy a Nexon now if there are good discounts? Facelift is around the corner with more features and BS6 engine, but will the 5 star GNCAP safety rating apply to it? What would you guys suggest - buy or wait. Thanks.

Last edited by KVNair : 3rd November 2019 at 20:43. Reason: Spelling error
Old 3rd November 2019, 21:30   #2756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNair View Post
Does it make sense to buy a Nexon now if there are good discounts? Facelift is around the corner with more features and BS6 engine, but will the 5 star GNCAP safety rating apply to it? What would you guys suggest - buy or wait. Thanks.
Depends on the discount and your requirements. Current gen Nexon has decent feature list. The facelift might get 6 airbags and other safety kit like TC, ESP etc. AWD will surely not be there. This will come with a price increase of 1.5L-2L for the top variant.

If you are getting top end Nexon under 12L I suggest go for it else wait it out if you are willing to pay higher amount.
Old 3rd November 2019, 21:53   #2757
BHPian

Quote:
If i were you, i would have waited esp. if you are getting ESP, TC, 6 airbags etc. No reason why the Gncap rating will vary. I may be wrong but i do not think the prices will increase by a lot (except the one with 6 airbags) because anything more than 12 lakhs will take away the 'Value for money' proposition which the Nexon now has. However, even if the prices increase, Nexon would still be my choice if safety is the primary concern which i think it should be. Resale value of BS6 variant will also be higher, unless TM bungles up with their modified BS6 configuration.

Last edited by Ram78 : 3rd November 2019 at 22:02.
Ram78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 10:54   #2758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fog Lights:
Nexon comes in with H16 holder. As per Schin auto shop, H8, H11 and H16 are all same and he showed me a fog light box which had the same mentioned.
The problem, this is 55w and Nexon comes in 19w. They claim it will not affect the electrical. Their plan is if the fuse rating is 10A, they will change the fuse to 15A and install the 55w fogs. As per them there will no strain on the electrical system.
Need advise on this part. Looking forward for your comments.
Looks good with the XV+ in the low beams. As for the fog lights - indeed, H11, H16 are the same sockets, the bulb's wattage is what varies in the two setups.
The electricals will hold. I have checked & the wiring is the same as for the headlamps, so its good for 55W also.

However - I'd not be too confident about the fixture. 55W halogens will heat up a lot. The stock fog lamp is 100% plastic including mounting. I'm not sure how it will fare in the long run if you tend to use fog lamps for long duration and regularly.
Quote:
Quote:
If i were you, i would have waited esp. if you are getting ESP, TC, 6 airbags etc. No reason why the Gncap rating will vary. I may be wrong but i do not think the prices will increase by a lot (except the one with 6 airbags) because anything more than 12 lakhs will take away the 'Value for money' proposition which the Nexon now has.
Buy one right now - if you are looking for Diesel. Don't wait - unless you will feel happier when running a BSVI certified car.

If you have been driving already, you don't necessarily "need" ESP, cruise control, TC etc. These will be only added gizmos along with a different face & better looking steering wheel.

The car will surely get costlier by around 70k OTR by my guess if you are looking for diesel BSVI. If you are looking for petrol - the cost won't necessarily increase only due to BSVI as modifications for petrol are minimal. However - face-lifts always bring price hikes & it will be significant. If the driving pleasure in current one is good enough for you - pick it when its available cheap. Its already the safest Indian made car out there so you'll have that peace of mind even now.

If you want more airbags which the face-lift probably might carry, you may wait. But they don't come cheap. If you want extra airbags - I would suggest dump the Nexon face-lift & buy the EcoSport S right now! Its still very cheap & good.

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th November 2019 at 10:55.
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 11:01   #2759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The electricals will hold. I have checked & the wiring is the same as for the headlamps, so its good for 55W also.

However - I'd not be too confident about the fixture. 55W halogens will heat up a lot. The stock fog lamp is 100% plastic including mounting. I'm not sure how it will fare in the long run if you tend to use fog lamps for long duration and regularly.

I do not intend to use it much expect during rain or fog. The low beam has improved the lighting and I do not intend to use fog for regular rides.
In general I do not do much of night drives. Mostly this will be early morning say 3 a.m or max 10 P.M. at night. I do not drive beyond 10 under any condition.
So the fogs will be in use not more than 2-3 hours at stretch.
Now that you mention the wiring is good but the housing is bad I need to re-think if I should go this route. Else any yellow LED option will do.
Old 4th November 2019, 11:07   #2760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now that you mention the wiring is good but the housing is bad I need to re-think if I should go this route. Else any yellow LED option will do.
Yeah. The fog lamp is good enough per se. It may hold too. But personally if I were you, I'd not install a high wattage bulb in it. Would always be thinking if its melting down there while I'm driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks