Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2019, 17:17   #2716
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The roof line of the Nexon is a little more sloping than the Tigor is what I think.
However, because Tigor is lower one would have to crouch lower anyhow?

Or is the problem something different?
Old 16th October 2019, 18:05   #2717
Distinguished - BHPian

My brother in law had purchased a Nexon Petrol AMT around 8 months back. Overall pretty happy, but facing below niggles that are irritating him quite a lot.
  • If not used for a week or more, there is a starting troubles and does not start up on the first try.
  • AMT fail indicator when stuck in B2B traffic for extended time. Worse when stuck in inclines for some time, AMT Fail appears and the creep no longer works. Increasing chances of roll back.
  • Once in a while gearshifts don't happen- N to D and vice versa. This has reduced post 2nd service, but still happens once in a while.

He is no stranger to automatics and follows the typical recommendations of driving an AT. Overall these niggles have made him quite frustrated and he is actually seriously thinking of selling the car.

Anyone else facing such issue with the AMT variant?
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 21:55   #2718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
However, because Tigor is lower one would have to crouch lower anyhow?

Or is the problem something different?
I guess Tigor has enough space through the front door for me to squeeze myself in.

For Nexon I would have to squeeze harder.
Old 17th October 2019, 13:37   #2719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
My brother in law had purchased a Nexon Petrol AMT around 8 months back. Overall pretty happy, but facing below niggles that are irritating him quite a lot.
  • If not used for a week or more, there is a starting troubles and does not start up on the first try.
  • AMT fail indicator when stuck in B2B traffic for extended time. Worse when stuck in inclines for some time, AMT Fail appears and the creep no longer works. Increasing chances of roll back.
  • Once in a while gearshifts don't happen- N to D and vice versa. This has reduced post 2nd service, but still happens once in a while.

He is no stranger to automatics and follows the typical recommendations of driving an AT. Overall these niggles have made him quite frustrated and he is actually seriously thinking of selling the car.

Anyone else facing such issue with the AMT variant?
I have a NANO AMT and have faced similar problems to what you describe with the addition of the transmission getting stuck in neutral and simply refusing to shift. It may not be an exact comparison, but since the hardware & software between the Nano, Zest, Nexon, Tiago and Tigor AMT's come from a common vendor, I thought of sharing my experience.

The issue was traced to a faulty AMT shifter motor which was replaced under warranty. For me the fault occured at around the 13k kilometres mark. Now the Nano is closing in on 33k and the problem has not recurred since.
arjab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 13:49   #2720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
since the hardware & software between the Nano, Zest, Nexon, Tiago and Tigor AMT's come from a common vendor, I thought of sharing my experience.
Actually Nano uses MagnettiMarelli AMT. Nexon uses the unit from ZF. So they aren't the same devices at all. Nor is the software. However - the issue sure might be the one you mentioned. Malfunctioning actuator motor.

In your case - did it fail altogether or had intermittent issues? Often if its a failed actuator motor, it would be a constant issue rather than an intermittent one.
Old 17th October 2019, 15:09   #2721
BHPian

I own Nexon petrol AMT and it's running fine for last 9months/9.5k kms.

Quote:
Never faced this, in fact couple of times my car was idle for >2 weeks while I was travelling but always started without a fuss post the break.

Quote:
This typically happens in heavy traffic when you try to coast/creep the car using partial brakes. Follow this - leave some distance from the car in front before coasting the car and always leave the brakes fully for the car to start creeping & don't use partial brakes, it'll work fine. And if this happens, restarting the car would fix this error. I guess AMT heats up/is stressed when using partial brakes, probably it's like burning half clutch in manuals.
I faced this problem pretty often in heavy traffic when the car was new but once I adapted to this driving style, haven't seen this issue since!

Quote:
Driving AMT needs some adjustments than driving proper automatics, and this one is specific to AMT or I would say Nexon AMT!

Do let us know if it helps!
asethi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 15:14   #2722
BHPian

Quote:
I have this issue, the workaround is to slot in neutral and apply brake/handbrake if there is no forward movement for more than 2 minutes.The AMT unit gets heated up after 5 minutes of inching forward, I think this is due to creep function stressing the clutch.

I have also experienced niggles with the new android auto update.The google maps instructions are getting muted even though all the audio settings says audio is in UN-mute condition.

Last edited by BeingHuman : 17th October 2019 at 15:17.
BeingHuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 15:33   #2723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
I have also experienced niggles with the new android auto update.The google maps instructions are getting muted even though all the audio settings says audio is in UN-mute condition.
That's actually to do with the version of Android Auto & android flavour/ OEM customization on your particular phone handset. It also happens when a call is received via AndroidAuto. I have experienced this in my other car with Android Auto also, which wasn't a Nexon, on a very good SONY head unit.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 23:33   #2724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
In your case - did it fail altogether or had intermittent issues? Often if its a failed actuator motor, it would be a constant issue rather than an intermittent one.
Twice intermittent. Shifting into neutral all of a sudden irrespective of cruising gear & speed. Engine not stalling. Switch off ignition, wait for 5mins, switch on - AMT came back on. Next stage of deterioration: point1 as above + creep disappeared. Last stage: stuck in neutral, not taking any shifts, engine cranking but not starting.

Service guy at TASS was not surprised at all and said quite a few Zest's have faced similar problems. Also it seemed they were quite prepared with respect to spares. I towed the Nano to the workshop on a late afternoon and by 12noon the next day, the replacement.was done.
No questions asked. All under warranty.
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 10:19   #2725
BHPian

Quote:
[*]AMT fail indicator when stuck in B2B traffic for extended time. Worse when stuck in inclines for some time, AMT Fail appears and the creep no longer works. Increasing chances of roll back.
I have owned Zest AMT for 3 years and 95k kms and faced similar issues with the gearbox (though it was MM sourced and not from ZF, like Nexon). When in extended b2b traffic, AMT fail light used to appear and the gearbox refused to up shift. So, if i am in 2nd gear and the light appears, the gearbox won't shift to third. Initially i followed a similar procedure mentioned by many here- let the vehicle cool-down. The other trick that worked for me was shifting to manual mode when the light appears and shifting back to the auto mode in a minute or two. The service centre had no idea on what could cause this and every time i complained, they would just reload the AMT program.
tarik.arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 00:23   #2726
BHPian

Did a 2200 kms.drive over 9 days from Hyderabad to Wayanad and back on my Nexon XZA+(petrol AMT). There were 5 adults and loads of luggage. Started when the reading was approx. 2500 and ended on 4700. Average was 15.2 kmpl. Close to 85% of the roads were of the Hyd-Bglr variety and even the rest 15% were not bad. Observations as follows:
Pros:
• It was super comfortable and never faced any tiredness.
• Suspension is good. Brakes gave the necessary confidence.
• The feather touch steering was a boon. Held up well on highways.
• Creep function works. Not as clean as an AT..but decent. You get what you pay for.
• Filled normal air /not nitrogen to 30.5 before start. Surprisingly the pressure is still the same.
• It was a pleasure driving the car with no mechanical problems. Not that we need to expect it so soon!
Cons:
• For a 6ft+ guy like me, having a telescopic steering would have done wonders. I really missed it.
• The AMT Gear shifts are pathetic. It runs on 2nd gear when ideally it should shift to 3rd. Similarly for other gears. I almost always shift to Manual.
• The back seat could have been better in the sense that there is a hump in the middle and the AC vent at the back juts out a bit. This causes discomfort to the middle-passenger.
• There was and still is some rickety sound at the back while going over rough roads, which came up post I removed the luggage tray and then put it back. Unable to figure a solution.
• Ingress and egress is not very comfortable. However once inside you are comfortably cocooned.The seat is apparently contoured to hold you in place in case of sudden-brakes or any emergency…, which actually is good.

Quote:
quick DIY over last couple of days. A large (relative on Amazon.in) size compass vinyl decal applied offset on the bonnet RHS to make the car stand out a bit in a sea of whites out there. Costed only Rs. 229 on Amazon.in. Very good quality.
The sticker looks great on the bonnet ! Seems our choice of design is similar I too had stuck the Team-Bhp stickers all across the white band on the window pane and the Compass decal on the right C pillar..but a smaller one. The left C pillar has a ‘NatGeo Wild’ decal. It’s in black and subtle. The decal that you have put on the bonnet is something I considered to have somewhere above the wheel arch or on the door. I simply love the ‘Adventure’ stickers available on Amazon but not sure if it will gel as well as it does on the Duster. Wondering which of the 2 stickers whose pics. are attached is to be stuck on the area above the rear wheel.

Quote:
My brother in law had purchased a Nexon Petrol AMT around 8 months back. Overall pretty happy, but facing below niggles that are irritating him quite a lot....He is no stranger to automatics and follows the typical recommendations of driving an AT. Overall these niggles have made him quite frustrated and he is actually seriously thinking of selling the car. Anyone else facing such issue with the AMT variant?
Your brother-in-law seems to be quite a rich man…planning to sell a 8 month old car. Don’t you think it will be a case of ‘Throwing the baby along with the bathwater’? A car with a conventional AT that your brother seems to have owned and one with AMT are two different animals though. I mean don’t even try comparing the two. Touchwood I have not faced any such problems as yet. However, based on my experience of facing issues with other cars including M800, Duster, Wagon R and Crysta,i will not be surprised if I get to face some with Nexon as well. Experience has taught me that it is a better idea to try to resolve the issues than junking it altogether. Actually, the only car I did not face an issue ..till now is a Tata! The Indica Xeta.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-c.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-natgeo.png  

Attached Images

Ram78 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 08:07   #2727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post

Your brother-in-law seems to be quite a rich man…planning to sell a 8 month old car. Don’t you think it will be a case of ‘Throwing the baby along with the bathwater’?
Well, he was just thinking, not planning yet.. Until now service center does not have an answer. Some good feedback from fellow owners in response to my questions. Will follow some of that and see.
Old 19th October 2019, 15:04   #2728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
Anyone purchased a Nexon XZA+ recently in Mumbai/Pune? Any idea of the discounts going on for them?
Quote:
The primary "official" offers applicable for XZA+ right now are as follows -

Petrol -
15k cash discount
25k exchange bonus
7.5k corporate discount
If it helps,in Hyderabad,when i bought the XZA+ Petrol,i got a 25k benefit(without exchange) and at that time there was no offers existing.That was in June and now you should be receiving a higher discount.Of the 3 showrooms i visited one said No discounts,the 2nd offered 10k and the third 25k benefit.It all depends on negotiation and how desperate the showroom is to make a sale.Again,this is in Hyd and not Mumbai/Pune .

I personally feel that it may be a nice idea to wait for some more time before the purchase of any BS4 car. Maruti is already out with its BS6 petrol engines and Tata will not be far behind.They are being introduced much earlier than i anticipated. Over the long term it generally helps if you have the latest version.No doubt there are exceptions.You might also get the cruise functionality-practicality of which is widely debated in our forum- which i dearly miss in my Nexon. The price may increase though.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-ma.jpg  

Ram78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 09:48   #2729
BHPian

I had a nasty mark on glass and A-pillar. This was due to leakage from overhead drainage pie in my parking. I tried nail polish remover, Paint thinner, detergent water and none of them worked.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20191020_101155.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20191020_101207.jpg
Spotted this on Saturday night and I had to get this removed on Sunday at any cost. My parents will be in town for the whole week and I will need the car. Did not have the heart to leave it for long time.
Without any options I went to 3M car car Koramangala. They said they do not do patches and will do the whole car detailing. Costed me 6.8K. But the job is done. Also the car shines better than when we had bought it new
Pics after treatment
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20191020_190941.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20191020_190958.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20191020_191008.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20191020_191035.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20191020_191849.jpg

I had inquired about their Acoustic damping, they said it helps in reducing high speed noise a lot and to an extent in city noise and providing better audio quality. Quoted 6.5K for all 4 do0rs.
Their mats for Nexon will come in at 6.8K.
Does anyone have experience with the above 2 products?

Last edited by aniyo : 21st October 2019 at 09:51.
aniyo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 12:43   #2730
BHPian

Had a Tank full today. Nexon Diesel.

Current ODO: 7908
Air filling machine was off so could not fill today.
Total fuel (Diesel) consumed: 29.45L. Brand: Shell. Cost: Rs.2041 Rate: Rs.68.3/L
FE as per MID: 18.8KMPL
FE as per T2T: 15.95 KMPL (Same bunk, same dispenser, similar time morning 8:00)
95KM traffic free (Airport run at night) and 375 in city with avg speed ranging from 7KMPH (twice) to 19KMPH.
AC use full time with ACC set at 24 degree.
On average I fill twice a month if it is city only driving. Better than on Brio which had to be done 3 times at least. Also my average diesel cost is about 4-4.5K/month which again is lesser than Brio which was at 7K/month

Had taken the Hennur road to airport and oh boy the road were pathetic with water logged in some places. Nexon handled the bad roads with ease.
There was a place where the road had a huge ditch right in middle and side was closed. I could so easily drive through it, other sedans were struggling there and in general on the roads.
One thing is for sure, with our road infra, a CSUV makes much more sense than a sedan. No regrets buying this.

The lights of Nexon is inadequate by a big margin. An upgrade is must no 2 ways about it. Will have to fix this at earliest.

Last edited by aniyo : 22nd October 2019 at 12:45.
aniyo is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed