Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2019, 12:20   #2656
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Incredible! "For want of a nail, a kingdom was lost". Tata Motors should sort out the tiny, but important issues - before dreaming of conquering the world. It seems like a small blip, but I understand where you're coming from. A wrong clock irritates the hell out of you. Hope it's sorted soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
Yes, neither from HU nor from MID. Within two hours, its all lost. Yeah.. I have mentioned this in the forum before.
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 12:37   #2657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a petrol XZ+, and the first service is scheduled on this Saturday, Sept. 21. Currently getting a city mileage of 9.3 kmpl, T2T, in Kolkata, in City mode (100%).
Quote:
Our (Mine, Reinherd and balaji_b) and probably some others' infotainment system has a mind of its own
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Incredible! "For want of a nail, a kingdom was lost". Tata Motors should sort out the tiny, but important issues - before dreaming of conquering the world. It seems like a small blip, but I understand where you're coming from. A wrong clock irritates the hell out of you. Hope it's sorted soon.
Indeed! Just that the Android auto linked clock display on the HU's corner saves grace. Car's system clock is a joke. One can get a good one for 50 rupees on the street & it works for life. How did TML manage to goof up something so simple...

Inquisitive - Check which software version they install on the HU. The latest one IIRC is 15.20. I got 15.10 installed. They said 15.20 was reported to have some issues by customers. Even a gentleman I know reported that his ORVMs stopped auto-retracting on locking after the BCM was flashed with 15.20 package. With 15.10 my clock still falls behind. Weirdly the rate at which it drops time has reduced than the stock one, but yep its still absolutely useless.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 14:58   #2658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
That's interesting. Do you know what they did? Did they do any ECU map flashing etc?
No, the ECU and BCM were flashed in the second service. However, I asked for some pointers from the SA about trying to maximizing the mileage. In a nutshell, we have to drive with a very light foot and with soft, gradual braking. Also, once the engine engine revs up to 2500rpm, we are supposed to let go of the throttle and the gearbox upshifts in that window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Isn't 14-15 kmpl way too low a mileage at a speed of 80kmph even for an autobox and a heavy vehicle? I can understand if this was at say 120kmph.
My highway runs have been very limited (<1000km) in the past year and that too mostly when the car was less than a month old. So, they may have improved with the run in period. Also, I keep my tyre pressure at 29 psi for better ride on the broken tarmac. That may also be one of the reasons of this mileage. I do think however that on expressways over long distances and less overall variations in speed, this car may give about 17-18 kmpl at most. Anything over that would be asking too much.
I may go on a road trip this Diwali from Mathura to Amritsar. That may provide more information about how the mileage is, given that the road surface after Delhi is butter smooth and traffic is also more or less free flowing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Harry View Post
I'll be going for the 1st service this week. Can you please tell me what was done in your car during service which improved the mileage? Also, did you get the engine oil changed because I'm planning to get it done.
11kmpl in city is quite good for the petrol amt. How do you manage it?
Thanks
In the first service, you may ask about the ECU update. The most recent update has changed some parameters that dictate when the gear up shifts. In my experience, the car gives the best mileage when the revs are kept below 2500rpm in any gear. So, feathering the throttle and less jerky throttle and brake inputs work well in reducing the fuel burn. The engine has more than enough grunt between 1500 and 2000 rpm to take care of any acceleration that maybe needed to close the gap in traffic. On open roads, the gearbox has a tendency to hold the great till 3500 rpm. So, after about 2500 rpm, I let go of the accelerator to give the opportunity for the gear to up shift. This also helps increasing the mileage. Other than these, when driving at speeds above 50 kmph, I always roll up all the windows to reduce the drag.
I got the oil changed in the second service. Instead of the oil used by the service centre, I bought Shell Helix 5w30 engine oil from Amazon for about ₹1450. It has definitely made the engine sound less harsh, especially given that it is a 3 pot unit. I recommend you do the same. The difference is marginal but it is definitely worth it.

I would like to add that sometime after my second service, the AMT control unit gave up. The clutch plate and AMT control unit were replaced under warranty at that time. Since then, the gearshifts have been much smoother with a fair reduction in 'head-bob'. I believe the ECU must have been updated again at that time which would've made the difference.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th September 2019 at 12:49. Reason: typo edited
Old 17th September 2019, 19:48   #2659

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaKiloSierra9 View Post
I would like to add that sometime after my second service, the AMT control unit gave up. The clutch plate and AMT control unit were replaced under warranty at that time. Since then, the gearshifts have been much smoother with a fair reduction in 'head-bob'. I believe the ECU must have been updated again at that time which would've made the difference.
Thank you for the detailed info. I did get the ECU and infotainment updated a few days after taking delivery as I had to get the RHS headlamp unit replaced. The infotainment system was updated to ver. 15.10 and the ECU was updated to ver. OA05. I'm a sedate driver, mostly and was not expecting a mileage of less than 8. Something doesn't feel right. Will get it checked.

Can someone tell me if this is normal? For the car to start moving in first gear, I have to rev a bit more than normal and I can feel that the clutch hasn't released fully. As if the amt box is half-clutching!

There is this narrow hose sticking out from under the radiator fan. Is this for the A.C. unit water outlet or has it come loose?
The hose is marked with a red arrow in the picture.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20190809_090202__01.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 17th September 2019 at 20:00. Reason: Posts merged. Picture inserted in-line.
Old 18th September 2019, 09:29   #2660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone tell me if this is normal? For the car to start moving in first gear, I have to rev a bit more than normal and I can feel that the clutch hasn't released fully. As if the amt box is half-clutching!
So are you saying the car doesn't creep forward? When you let go (fully or partially) of the brake pedal, the car is supposed to creep forward. This usually is achieved with a bit of clutch slipping if too slow. Just like we would in a manual car. If creep isn't happening and you MUST press the gas pedal to get moving - you should report it. Creep is of course very slow. Just about moving onward without stalling. To gain speed you need to use gas pedal. Thats by design in AMT.
Quote:
There is this narrow hose sticking out from under the radiator fan. Is this for the A.C. unit water outlet or has it come loose? The hose is marked with a red arrow in the picture.
Looking at the material used & the location of the pipe, I won't be surprised if its the AC condenser drain pipe. After a drive with AC, check if water drips exactly below it. It will mostly. But other Nexon P owners can quickly peek in the engine bay and confirm.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 09:51   #2661

Quote:
So are you saying the car doesn't creep forward?
Hi Reinhard,
The creep function is working properly and the car does move forward as it should. The clutch slipping is felt right afterwards, when I press the accelerator to gain speed till about 20-25 kmph.

Will check with the A.C. running to see if water is draining out.
Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 09:55   #2662
Senior - BHPian

Opinion -
The Nexon XMA (1 year old) isn't ageing as well as my erstwhile Ecosport AT (5.5+ yrs) did.

- Rattles and noises creeping up gradually.
- Engine is getting a bit rougher. The 3 cyl. vibration becomes prominent at times.
- Transmission gets a bit jarring at times.
- Suspension damping is deteriorating. Rear roll has increased.
- Tire noise has significantly increased.
- The front seat base is beginning to sag (I'm about 76 kilos)!
- Have had 1 case of front windshield cracking for an unknown reason.
- Rear tail gate lock works only when slammed harder than it should (after multiple ASC adjustments).

Most of these have been through multiple ASC visits already, with no satisfactory or reliable solution.

Maybe it IS too soon to trust Tata yet! :(
roy_libran is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 10:40   #2663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

Most of these have been through multiple ASC visits already, with no satisfactory or reliable solution.

Maybe it IS too soon to trust Tata yet!
What is the mileage on the car now? That also plays a role here.
Old 18th September 2019, 11:23   #2664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
It does generally, but he has a baseline benchmark from his previous EcoSport. So his assessment probably is based on how that car had aged in same duration and similar running.

On the other hand - the issues mentioned are too many! I didn't have all that across the 4 cars I have owned till now across 12 years!
Old 18th September 2019, 12:16   #2665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
A paltry 16000 kms. Regularly serviced.

Quote:
It does generally, but he has a baseline benchmark from his previous EcoSport. So his assessment probably is based on how that car had aged in same duration and similar running.

On the other hand - the issues mentioned are too many! I didn't have all that across the 4 cars I have owned till now across 12 years!
Exactly! My Ecosport at the time of selling was in better shape overall.

Both cars driven 70-80% by me. Remainder only by my wife.
Old 18th September 2019, 13:17   #2666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

Exactly! My Ecosport at the time of selling was in better shape overall.

Both cars driven 70-80% by me. Remainder only by my wife.
Yep, I too have driven 5 cars before my first Tata (Tiago) but never saw these kind of issues. No matter who drove the car other than me. OK, good data point about Tata.
Old 19th September 2019, 20:22   #2667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will check with the A.C. running to see if water is draining out.
I checked. Its identical in the Diesel Nexon too. And is the AC drain.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 21:53   #2668

Quote:
I checked. Its identical in the Diesel Nexon too. And is the AC drain.
Thank you. That's a relief!
Old 22nd September 2019, 10:50   #2669
BHPian

Quote:
Inquisitive - Check which software version they install on the HU. The latest one IIRC is 15.20. I got 15.10 installed..... With 15.10 my clock still falls behind. Weirdly the rate at which it drops time has reduced than the stock one, but yep its still absolutely useless.
The software is now upgraded to 15.10, but yes, the clock stills lags behind... in last 16 hours, it is lagging behind by 12 minutes

The dealership informed that the price for extended warranty (2 years) for Nexon XZ+ Petrol will shoot to Rs. 16000+ starting Monday, Sept. 23 from the existing Rs. 10400 and that for additional one year (3 years) will cost Rs. 20,000+ This rate is for extended warranty bought within the first 90 days of purchase with proportional increases with the age of the car. So, for those who have bought their Tata cars in the last 90 days, today is the last day to avail the old prices for extended warranty.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th September 2019 at 16:46. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Inquisitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 07:37   #2670
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a question, anyone who has upgraded his/her stock fog lamps to Micro Fogs by XP/Blaze India/Ipchar etc? If yes, how have you done the connection? Please share a few snaps. Asking for a friend for whom I may have to do an installation and I'm not at all versed with Tata cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks