Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2019, 18:30   #2416
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
Can we request a more detailed comparo please
Thanks
This is my comparison between Duster and Nexon, except for suspension and Hill Assist I think Nexon is a better vehicle in compact SUV segment.

NOTE: Red is , green is
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-duster-vs-nexon.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 5th August 2019 at 09:41. Reason: Adding clarification on colours
deehunk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 20:34   #2417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
This is my comparison between Duster and Nexon, except for suspension and Hill Assist I think Nexon is a better vehicle in compact SUV segment.
Your color scheme tripped me initially. So red is better.
Glass is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 06:57   #2418

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
Tata has replaced the XT variant with new XT+ variant
This is ridiculous! I have booked XZ+ last week and had specified that I need the June updated vehicle. Now they come up with an update to the infotainment system.

Is the August update worth cancelling and rebooking?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd August 2019 at 13:54. Reason: Trimming quoted post. A long quoted post inconveniences small screen users. Thanks.
cm1933 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:57   #2419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm1933 View Post
This is ridiculous! I have booked XZ+ last week and had specified that I need the June updated vehicle. Now they come up with an update to the infotainment system.

You might be lucky that the infotainment upgrade may be available to you but for Reinhard and me and also hundreds of others for whom the delivery is scheduled next week, I believe would lose out
Inquisitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 10:05   #2420
BHPian

Wondering how much the rear cooled ac vents in Nexon would affect the engine/fuel economy in the long run?
spr1ngleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 15:45   #2421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr1ngleo View Post
Wondering how much the rear cooled ac vents in Nexon would affect the engine/fuel economy in the long run?
A/C blowers doesn't effect fuel economy a bit. A/C compressor does.

So no matter how many extra vents are put in with blower, it wouldn't have any effect on fuel economy but if they move up and add extra compressor or like Dual A/C type features, that would effect fuel economy.

Blowers draw very little electrical power where as compressors are mechanically connected to the engine & eats into the actual power output of the engine.

Thanks
NaXal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 15:59   #2422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post
Dear members: A big Thank You ! After 4 months of study starting mid Feb, finally decided on the Nexon XZA+ AMT Petrol in grey color and took delivery of the same in June.Its a May'19 manufactured car. I express my sincere gratitude to all members who have commented in this thread as well as bhp’ians....
Last Saturday,i went to get the first service done. For 10 years I used to utilize the Pick-up and Drop facility for servicing my cars..of multiple brands,but now since the past year, I take the car personally and stay with the same at the service bay for almost the entire 3-4 hours while it is being serviced. I realized that not doing so is doing a dis-service to your car.

One reason for the above: 2 months back when i went for the service of a non-TATA car to the respective brand’s ASS , i saw that the engine oil that was drained from say Car A being used as a top-up for Car B. Aghast ,I enquired with the personnel and was told that for top-ups, they do so if specifically asked by the car owner and i was like really ? You have such owners as well? And then the fear cropped in my mind. Will they do the same to my car as well if I was not present?

Coming back to the first service of my Nexon. The sequence of activities are as follows:

Went to Venkataramana Motors- TASS at 11:30 am and the servicing was completed at 4 pm with a one hour lunch break between 1 pm to 2 pm. Experience was very Good and I would rate it 8/10.

Visited the showroom and handed over gifts to the Sales manager and 2 executives who were involved in the purchase process. They were obviously delighted. Probably did not expect it. They had a photo-session done for the same.

Next they took me to the Service centre which is 50 mtrs. away from the showroom. I was ushered in with respect and a service executive was assigned .

Was asked to wait at the Customer lounge which was decent (7/10).I said i want to be at the service bay and they did not have a problem with that.The bay had around 12 cars in it. 5 Nexons,2 Tiagos, 2 Tigors ,1 Nano, 1 Sumo Grande, and 1 Indica taxi.

Was told that engine oil needs to be topped-up. They fetched the same from a drum that had ‘Shell’ painted on it. The wind-shield spray water was also topped up.

A few perceived hitches

1) In Auto mode the upshift from 1st -> 2nd -> 3rd gears takes time. Was told that it is normal and should improve over time. Is it so?

2) Since the time of purchase, the area marked in the pic.below had a brown mark, something like rust in the middle .I was told by the sales guys that this is normal. Took their word at that time because I faced the same in Innova as well.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-pre-treatment.jpg

At TASS I found another Nexon which did not have this ‘brown’ ring and highlighted it to the engineer.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-another-car.jpg

They initially told me that this is normal. However on insisting that the other Nexon did not have this mark they said they’ll work on the same. They took a ‘Wurth’ labelled can and were about to do some treatment when i had to move out to attend an extended important call. While I returned, the work was over and following is how the rim looks now. Requesting members to comment if this is normal.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-post-treatment.jpg

Then the car was sent for washing, where again, i followed and they did a good job of the same. Shampoo wash + interiors cleaning was done and the plastics now look shiny and like new.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-being-washed.jpg

The only thing I was not sure was about the way they cleaned the bonnet bay using water spray. Won’t it create a short circuit or something due to some water remaining on the wires?

Service intervals = 6 months for general check-up which probably would cost Rs.1200 odd and then 1 year / 15000 kms.

Total cost = Rs.330 odd for the Engine oil and with GST = Rs. 384.

Just a final note: While I was drafting the mail now (3.02 pm) i received a call from the TASS inquiring if the service was satisfactory, whether there are any problems and in case there are any, they will have my car picked up and get it serviced again. This is in addition to a similar call i got a couple of days back. Yes, they did request me to provide a good feedback when I get a call from TATA Motors. which i think is a fair ask.

Dear members,

If it might be any help to you,find below the SMS i received from Concorde Motors offering 50% off on the General check-up..should be for Nexon.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-concorde-sms.jpg

Note: I'm not a Concorde customer.

Last edited by SDP : 4th August 2019 at 14:21. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Ram78 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 21:28   #2423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm1933 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
You might be lucky that the infotainment upgrade may be available to you but for Reinhard and me and also hundreds of others for whom the delivery is scheduled next week, I believe would lose out.
Honestly - I find the existing 6.5" system absolutely fine and sufficient. The 0.5" change and supposed improvement in touch response is certainly welcome but I didn't find a desperate need of it. So don't you worry guys! The rest of the car's good things will quickly make you forget about it.

I just came back from the PDI of my Nexon.

I spent a good 1 hour doing PDI and also playing with the now "old" touchscreen unit and its absolutely fine. I don't feel you need to cancel and rebook the car for this update. Who knows - it might as well result in a price update too in the next 1-2 weeks.

The PDI Experience
  • I got a call from the sales buddy at National Autowheels at around 09:30 in the morning. He informed that the car has now reached the dealership from factory & I can visit whenever I like in the day for a PDI.
  • I went to the showroom at Hadapsar. Quickly had a pleasant discussion with both my sales colleagues & the manager of the accessories department since I have been given INR 8000 worth accessories as freebies. That was short & crisp. List of accessories below.
  • The yard is a good 10 kms/40 minutes away from the showroom at Uruli Devachi village. My sales mate Suraj (The lead Sushmit had another customer commitment and travelled out to PCMC at same time after ensuring I was taken care of) took me & the family in their TD Tigor on a complimentary drive to the yard. It started raining midway. But no problem. The staff at the yard was also wonderful and with a pleasant smile & nice interactive attitude.
  • The car had arrived today. So it looked like it does in the pictures below. Loved this look! How an SUV should look.
  • Battery is Exide. Was hoping for Tata Green or something better. But now this is the brand used. Exide is a downer. Alas.
  • Tyres are GoodYear Excellence. I don't see a need to change them. When they live their life to the full, I'll change to Continentals.
  • Suraj patiently waited with me, answered all my questions, helped me check items I needed a partner to check. Did a proper PDI as per our list, even ensuring that all 4+4 speakers are working properly and in sync! I'm happy that the PDI went absolutely fine and all boxes are ticked. Not a single item that needs to be fixed.

We meet for the first time!
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20190803_155622.jpg

1.5 RevoTorque. Engine bay layout is so much better than my Vista. Shows how long Tata has come in packaging.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20190803_155253.jpg

Suraj brought us back at the showroom, offered another round of refreshments. We then clicked a few pictures together with our (now their!) beloved Vista in the backyard parking and left for home.

My Vista! Old meets new. Standing besides a Tigor EV in the dealership parking.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20190803_163102.jpg

The complete staff at the showroom is so much different than other showrooms. Very interactive, pleasant & with a genuine smile.

I had done a VIN check and the car I knew was July 2019 manufactured. Indeed it has the rear cooled AC coil, rear 12V charging socket & yes - black door trims!

Accessories Picked
  • Underbody anti rust treatment with 5 year warranty
  • Illuminated NEXON scuff plates
  • Mud flaps
  • PU mesh type floor carpets + 3D boot mat
  • Chrome scuff plate on the rear bumper top edge
I'll be paying roughly 8k extra over the freebies package. Certainly a wee bit higher price than what it would have costed me at the friendly neighbourhood store. However - this is an example of goodwill & professional commitment of the sales team making a difference. They have gone to the best possible limit at each step of the transaction so far & that built relationship sure played a part in my opting for these accessories from showroom.

Now I wait for the registration, accessory installation starting Monday. Delivery should happen around Wednesday afternoon but I might take it on Thursday morning or something depending on office, rain etc. Now we wait!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
A/C blowers doesn't effect fuel economy a bit. A/C compressor does.

So no matter how many extra vents are put in with blower, it wouldn't have any effect on fuel economy but if they move up and add extra compressor or like Dual A/C type features, that would effect fuel economy.
Regarding this - its a proper cooling coil with plumbing running around the cabin till the rear footwell. This means more volume of air would have to be actually cooled & the compressor itself in theory would run more than the pre-update Nexon. In theory it will have an impact on the FE indeed compared to the one that had just the blower fan in the rear and no cooling coil. But the difference will mostly be negligible. Something to the magnitude of 0.5kmpl at most. Perhaps not even that much.

Quote:
Was told that engine oil needs to be topped-up. They fetched the same from a drum that had ‘Shell’ painted on it. The wind-shield spray water was also topped up.
Strange. Please keep checking if there is any oil leak stain in your regular parking place. An engine oil top-up at first service isn't what I'd expect. I really hope the engine doesn't burn oil.

Quote:
2) Since the time of purchase, the area marked in the pic.below had a brown mark, something like rust in the middle .I was told by the sales guys that this is normal. Took their word at that time because I faced the same in Innova as well.
This is really a non issue. Its a really thick disc and this brown layer is seen all over the world. It is not something to worry about really. Varies from supplier to supplier thats all.

Regarding the engine bay wash - don't worry about that either. Its being done that way since decades. Many a times the advice is not to do it this way to avoid water on the ECU. But the guys do it that way anyway. Has not created any issues for anyone I know ever. And no - there are no places in the engine bay that can get short by water. Designs of electronic components are now good.

Last edited by Reinhard : 3rd August 2019 at 21:51.
Reinhard is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 11:06   #2424
BHPian

Congratulations Reinhard for this new beauty, wish you a safe ride for many years to come. Petrol cars were registered for 15 years at Pune RTO three years back. Same is the case with diesel still? Hope Pune would not go Delhi way anytime sooner?
spr1ngleo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 11:31   #2425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Reinhard for this new beauty, wish you a safe ride for many years to come. Petrol cars were registered for 15 years at Pune RTO three years back. Same is the case with diesel still?
Yes its still the same for diesel.
Thanks for the kind wishes mate.

Quote:
Hope would not go Delhi way anytime sooner?
Absolutely no idea now a days. You can never say. There are no long term plans or policies right now when it comes to auto and transport sector. Quite snappy decisions. But yeah I hope so too.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 14:15   #2426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Tyres are GoodYear Excellence. I don't see a need to change them. When they live their life to the full, I'll change to Continentals.
Congrats Reinhard on your white stallion

You should consider to swap them with Michelin Primacy right away. This is the perfect opportunity for you to get the best buyback for those Goodyears.
My BIL too was very sceptic to go for the swap as it was costing 14k extra for the set of 4. But eventually i persuaded him to go for it, and we just had one ride from the showroom to home and back to the Tyre shop - but he was absolutely Wowed after the swap and agrees even today that it was worth every penny spent. The car became butter smooth and silent with much more grip, stability and handling.
Those Goodyears have some road noise which i thought was due to the noisy diesel engine. All that road noise was dead after the swap, better than even what i had expected.
After we swapped with Michelins - Just one full steering turn at standstill was enough to mark the difference, and the drive after that was absolutely satisfying.
You just have to do it to believe it mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post

Last edited by Aditya : 4th August 2019 at 20:03. Reason: Using a more suitable word
JS Kwt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 18:43   #2427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I just came back from the PDI of my Nexon.

Accessories Picked
  • Underbody anti rust treatment with 5 year warranty
  • Illuminated NEXON scuff plates
  • Mud flaps
  • PU mesh type floor carpets + 3D boot mat
  • Chrome scuff plate on the rear bumper top edge
I'll be paying roughly 8k extra over the freebies package. Certainly a wee bit higher price than what it would have costed me at the friendly neighbourhood store.
Congatulations!!! Wishing you all the very best for your new steed.
I have never checked these scuff plates for Nexon in person. I am going to do the PDI tomorrow and thinking of including them. Recommended, right?
Inquisitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 18:48   #2428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
Congatulations!!! Wishing you all the very best for your new steed.
I have never checked these scuff plates for Nexon in person. I am going to do the PDI tomorrow and thinking of including them. Recommended, right?
Thanks! Good luck with the PDI.

As for the scuff plates, I'd probably not have picked that bling had I not got the 8k freebies .

That said, they look nice and are finished well. So no problem. Do note that its only for the front doors. The floor design of the rear door is such that there is hardly any flat surface for a scuff plate of any size there.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 20:27   #2429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
Congrats Reinhard on your white stallion
Buyback also applicable to stock steel wheels?
From what I learnt after speaking to the dealer, the alloys cost 32k inr for four tyres, and nothing for the stock wheels

Last edited by ampere : 4th August 2019 at 20:36. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 4th August 2019, 20:48   #2430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Buyback also applicable to stock steel wheels?
From what I learnt after speaking to the dealer, the alloys cost 32k inr for four tyres, and nothing for the stock wheels
Nobody pays anything for pressed steel wheels. Ever. I gave away all my old 14" wheels for 500rs when I upgraded to 15" steel rims. Give them away as goodwill. Nobody pays much for those, which is totally illogical of course.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed