Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2019, 13:03   #2251
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

A quick update:
Had a 750KM trip to Chennai and back.

Nexon is comfortable for long journeys. Came out fresh both sides. (Had client meetings in Chennai same day)
Noise insulation is really good. EVen at 100+ speeds noise does not bother much.

No glitch, no issues.
Door rattling was on and off.

FE:
Driven in sports mode throughout with ACC at 24 all the time. FE T2T is 19. Drove at 110-120 for a good part and for some time above 120 and the beeps are irritating.
Covered 350KM in 5.30 hrs including food break.

Ride quality: So much better than Brio. There times when the Nexon felt a bit firm but overall the ride quality is good.

Handling: For once I felt I could have got a sedan, Blr-Chennai is amazing highway and one can just drive at high speed for a long time. Yet the handling was decent. No issues even at 100-120.

Stability: Impressed for the height of the car. Felt at ease even at 110-120.

Engine: It's really linear. One thing I hate about NA cars is, say one is at 110-120 and we have to drop speed to say 80-90. After this it's really painful to get the car to speed in NA cars. Turbo diesel can simply continue in the same gear. This reduces a lot of driving stress. As we have to keep changing speed quite often on our highways the liner Nexon engine is a boon. Also the 6th gear is very useful on highways.

AC is super. Sound system is Fab. Really enjoyed it on the journey.
Finally I conclude, Nexon can easily do long distance without tiring the occupants.

Last edited by aniyo : 24th May 2019 at 13:08.
aniyo is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 18:29   #2252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Finally I conclude, Nexon can easily do long distance without tiring the occupants.
While I do not own a Nexon, I had the pleasure of driving one over varied terrain earlier this year.

I hired a Nexon XM as self-drive from Zoomcar in Chandigarh and covered 600-plus km over terrain ranging from super smooth highways to broken roads to snowy/slippery roads and was pleasantly surprised by the performance of this little beast - it exceeded all my expectations!! The ride is supremely comfortable, the handling is very good for a car this high, NVH levels are really low, a/c is a bone-chiller, audio system is a gem, and above all, it has an excellent engine - very responsive, minimal turbo-lag, and very frugal. All in all, if I were in the market for a compact, 5-seater SUV, I'd pick Nexon with my eyes closed for the sheer VFM offering that it is, unless of course I needed AWD.

Here are a few pics from the trip for your viewing pleasure:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-n1.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-n2.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-n3.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-n4.jpg  

Last edited by cool_dube : 24th May 2019 at 18:39.
cool_dube is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 19:02   #2253
BHPian

Had my first service done on my Diesel XMA+. The vehicle is serving me well except for the annoying engine wobble between 20-30kmph on gentle acceleration,I tried to push for flywheel replacement but the SA and Mechanic brushed it off saying it as a common trait on Nexon as well as Tiago.I feel this could be the Creta killer if Tata can improve the quality levels a little bit especially the rubber beading's and the flimsy plastic trim.
Old 24th May 2019, 20:16   #2254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
While I do not own a Nexon, I had the pleasure of driving one over varied terrain earlier this year.
:
Nice Pictures. From where is this.
Yes Nexon is quite capable car and I was in dilemma to go for Ecosport /Nexon or go for a higher segment. Ecosport lost out on internal space, ride quality and side opening boot door. Nexon was an all rounder so went ahead with it.

The XZ+ with 8 speaker will sound nicer and feels from a segment above.

If anyone has a Creta or city/verna and have traveled in Nexon can you compare the audio quality. I am curious to know.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 21:57   #2255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice Pictures. From where is this
Thanks! These pics are from the lower Himalaya region - Kufri and nearabouts.
Old 27th May 2019, 10:56   #2256
Senior - BHPian

XM owners can get a fully functional infotainment system thanks to my good friend and DIY enthusiast Malwett Lobo. He picked up an Ericsson TabletPhone on the cheap for Rs. 3K (Amazon Sale), and customised a mobile holder Rs. 700 (Once again from Amazon), and achieved this feat.

Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_6278.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_6277.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 21:16   #2257
BHPian

Hi guys could someone tell me about warranty. If I buy a used Nexon which is still under standard warranty of 2 years. Will I get that warranty. Does warranty get transferred with ownership?
Old 27th May 2019, 21:33   #2258
BANNED

Hi , anyone here who owns a Nexon diesel AMT? Planning to get a car for wife, she is new to driving. How is to drive an AMT, with regard to conventional automatics? I drive a DCT for reference. I'm especially worried about the AMT's response while overtaking manoeuvres and during bumper to bumper traffic. Thanks in advance.
Old 27th May 2019, 22:20   #2259
BHPian

I own Nexon diesel AMT as well as Verna 1.5 CRDI AT. I did not feel a difference in overtaking at speeds above 60kmph, at slower speeds you can expect a 2 second delay depending on how you apply throttle.There is absolutely no issue in bumper to bumper traffic.
BeingHuman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 03:12   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
How is to drive an AMT, with regard to conventional automatics? I drive a DCT for reference. I'm especially worried about the AMT's response while overtaking manoeuvres and during bumper to bumper traffic.
Hello, I drive a Diesel AMT Nexon and have found no difference when it comes to driving an AT. The transmission is super smooth and gear changes are almost imperceptible. There is no head nod even in Sports mode.
Coming to overtaking, in City or Sports mode it's really easy. Just floor the accelerator and you will reach 80kmph in no time. However there is a lag in Eco mode.
Bumper to bumper traffic is handled easily thanks to the creep mode.

Hope this helps.
ayankm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 17:11   #2261
BHPian

My Nexon Diesel has completed 15k kilometres so far and I wanted to share my experiences.

1. Mine was from the 2017 lot and was scared to opt for it but took a big leap of faith and went for it in 2018 with a 50k whopping discount in price and I don't regret it.

2. Faced some jerking issues in the second and third gear initially and complained it to the service centre folks and got it fixed immediately. Good job done there.

3. I feel engine opened up more post the 5k mark and cruising it on the highways makes me fall in love with it more and more. Tata has made an absolute beauty with this 1.5 Revotorq. There is a noticeable diesel clatter but a sweet sound while revving it up in sports mode makes me go weak in the knees every time.

4. My steering was pulling left after the third service and I suspected there was some wheel alignment issue. Mentioned this and the service centre folks attended to it with extra caution and fixed this immediately by checking everything thoroughly

5. I experience a creaking sound from my centre console near the arm rest. Service centre folks were clueless when I mentioned this. But, they asked me to bring my vehicle again and they would try looking at it. Will see how they handle it.

Some feel good factors:

I had some problems with the washing after the service, they leave smudges on the car. I mentioned this to the SA and he immediately took my car for another round of cleaning and it was much better from then.

I am gifted with a coupon suddenly after many months now for free general checkup, free washing and wheel alignment along with a photo frame

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20190528_160905__01__01.jpg

I feel Tata Motors is pushing hard to improve the quality of service experience and it's evident. This is indeed a very good move not only to address the issues of the customer immediately but also make them feel valued. Way to go Tata
SpideyBoy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 22:00   #2262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Hi , anyone here who owns a Nexon diesel AMT? Planning to get a car for wife, she is new to driving. How is to drive an AMT, with regard to conventional automatics? I drive a DCT for reference. I'm especially worried about the AMT's response while overtaking manoeuvres and during bumper to bumper traffic. Thanks in advance.
I have driven the Nexon amt. I drive a kodiaq (dsg) and have owned cvts (altis and city) and about to own a tc (ecosport) so I think I can help you with this. If your wife is used to driving a Tc or a cvt, she wouldn’t appreciate an amt. if she hasn’t driven an auto before, she’d love the amt. the car drives well but the head nods are very much perceptible. Anyone who says head nods are not noticeable is either lying or hasn’t driven conventional automatics. You can clearly sense the loss of power when the clutch is engaged and disengaged during a gear change. That being said, the car is really good and for anyone who hasn’t driven a conventional auto before, amt would be loved by them. There’s no issue, be it in traffic or otherwise. Just think about her driving experience. If it’s purely manual or other amts, go for it. Else have her test drive it and if she says she likes it, only then go for it.
bled_soul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 22:08   #2263
Senior - BHPian

I spent a King's ransom (USD 1000) and changed Highbeam, Lowbeam and Fogs to Philips LEDs. Got them from the US. I'll put up detailed pictures soon.

Quote:
For headlights even I am scouting. Currently use fog lamps in conjunction with low beam on poorly lit roads. Not sure how good an idea this is
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 22:45   #2264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats. It’s a nice car to drive around. If the mileage mentioned is as per MID reduce 3kmpl for actual FE.

For headlights even I am scouting. Currently use fog lamps in conjunction with low beam on poorly lit roads. Not sure how good an idea this is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I spent a King's ransom (USD 1000) and changed Highbeam, Lowbeam and Fogs to Philips LEDs. Got them from the US. I'll put up detailed pictures soon.
I had specifically checked under a Nexon's bonnet & behind the front bumper. The fog lamp housing is generous & plenty of space for customization. Why not spend a bit more & go for the XP Micro bi-xenon projectors? They'll fit well in the fog housing & considering the high position of Nexon's fog lamps - the XP Micros would really light up the streets wonderfully. If I went for a Nexon ever, the XP Micro would be something I'd install within a week really, Check them out if not done already. There's plenty of information about those in TBHP anyway. I can share a contact from Mumbai if needed who does a good job of clean installation.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 01:47   #2265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I spent a King's ransom (USD 1000) and changed Highbeam, Lowbeam and Fogs to Philips LEDs.

Upgraded Hi/Lo lamps & fogs for USD 1000?. Really eager to see the improvement. Do post a video.

Most Viewed