Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2019, 08:30   #2131
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Only issue is price. Was checking with tyre dealers, they are quoting 26K post buyback of stock tyres for set of 4. This is for Michelin 3ST. That's quite pricey.
I feel they are worth it. I can say that after having them replaced on my old Estilo after 45K (MRF to Michelin) and on my Santro after 35K (Goodyear to Michelin). My next candidate is Ertiga but the stock JKs still have a lot of life left in them after 32K. May be I am addicted to Michelins after experiencing the ride and braking quality

Last edited by rajivtelang : 28th March 2019 at 08:33.
Old 29th March 2019, 05:14   #2132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaKiloSierra9 View Post
I've been a Nexon XZA+(P) owner for the last 8 months. On 17th March 2019, I was travelling from Mathura to Delhi when after driving just a few kilometres I noticed that the car wasn't upshifting from 3rd gear. I then pulled over and tried restarting the car but the gearbox just died on me. It just wouldn't shift from Neutral to Drive and neither would it transfer to manual tiptronic.
I have written posts recently about my issues with the flywheel. However the car was drivable albeit some knocking sound from the engine. I would consider this another gearbox issue. The key would be how well TATA MOTORS handles this. Do escalate this on Twitter Incase you find the response from the dealer inadequate. My car came fixed although is took them about ten days. Other than the being frustrated about a new car being in the workshop, my experience was pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
I recently purchased a diesel XZA+ AMT which has now done 400kms.

I felt this too when I took delivery. I also assumed it was the nature of the AMT. However, in my case, it turned out to be a flywheel issue. So if you do get an engine warning with the drive modes disabled and knocking sound in the engine , do quote my experience. Pray nothing if this happens to you.

Last edited by ampere : 29th March 2019 at 08:08. Reason: back to back posts merged.
satyanu28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 15:04   #2133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyanu28 View Post
I have written posts recently about my issues with the flywheel. However the car was drivable albeit some knocking sound from the engine. I would consider this another gearbox issue. The key would be how well TATA MOTORS handles this. Do escalate this on Twitter Incase you find the response from the dealer inadequate. My car came fixed although is took them about ten days. Other than the being frustrated about a new car being in the workshop, my experience was pleasant.

I felt this too when I took delivery. I also assumed it was the nature of the AMT. However, in my case, it turned out to be a flywheel issue. So if you do get an engine warning with the drive modes disabled and knocking sound in the engine , do quote my experience. Pray nothing if this happens to you.

I did not get the engine warning message so far.It is a strange feeling that I can feel the faint knocking type of vibration through the steering but not able to hear it explicitly.It mostly happens when I slow down and accelerate over a speed breaker.
Did they have to open the engine to change the flywheel?
Old 29th March 2019, 15:19   #2134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyanu28 View Post
After keeping the car for more than ten days in the workshop, they
haven't been able to diagnose the issue with the gearbox. My guess was the malfunctioning of the AMT module.
They went about it step by step. They tried some modifications with the ECU and they tried replacing the clutch, both of which were in vain. They are finally replacing the complete gearbox assembly now. I really hope that this would solve the problem.

My experience with Tata Motors in all this fiasco has been average at best. The service centre barely apprised me of anything. It has been upto me to call them everyday and ask about what they did. The zonal service head also was clueless about the issue in my car. This has frustrated me so much about how less than an year old and meticulously maintained and driven car developed an issue which cannot be fixed by the local TASS.

Last edited by PapaKiloSierra9 : 29th March 2019 at 15:21.
Old 29th March 2019, 22:38   #2135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
I did not get the engine warning message so far.It is a strange feeling that I can feel the faint knocking type of vibration through the steering but not able to hear it explicitly.It mostly happens when I slow down and accelerate over a speed breaker.
I hear the faint knocking sounds too when the car slows down and then over a speed breaker. Unable to identify where it originates from. Feels like something rocks back and forth during that motion.

No other issues or warnings here either.
Old 30th March 2019, 20:52   #2136
BHPian

Finally got the car home after a lot of wait and anxiety. Will post pictures and experience soon. Also will mention why we went for Nexon over others.

Decided to stick to stock tyre as Michelin post exchange was 25K. Did not want to spend further.

One question, does Tata Nexon has any Running-In period mandate, I could not find it anywhere

Last edited by aniyo : 30th March 2019 at 20:58.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 22:28   #2137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknicsand View Post
I hear the faint knocking sounds too when the car slows down and then over a speed breaker. Unable to identify where it originates from. Feels like something rocks back and forth during that motion.

No other issues or warnings here either.

I got this "tuck tuck" sound too while changing levels in road. I had two guesses. 1. Clutch working out what to do and thereby a sequence of clutch engage/ disengage. 2. Fuel in the tank moving and splashing.

TAS said this was "normal" sound.
Old 31st March 2019, 10:05   #2138
Distinguished - BHPian

My brother in law had an issue recently. In a petrol pump, post filling, he put it in D and accelerated and the car refused to move. Kept revving as it was Neutral. He then put it into R and back to N and then D and it resumed normal operations. Have not see the issue since. Hope it is not a symptom of a larger problem.
Old 31st March 2019, 10:48   #2139
BHPian

My update on the newly acquired Tata Nexon

Why a new car:
As of today new car was more of a want than a need. Had a lot of convincing to do as my wife kept questioning what's wrong with Brio.
Though there were issues with Brio, I ensured it was presented as big problems (10 years in Sales effect)

Issues with Current Ride- Brio:
1. Low seating, had to literally twist into the seat (both Ingress and Egress)
2. Thin seats don't provide much support and back started to hurt in some time.
3. Low GC, though have not scrapped it much (4-5 time in 4 years) it's always on the mind when driving.
4. Potholes announce with a big noise inside and I feel the suspension is being troubled.
5. Weak AC, imagine I am saying this in Bangalore.
6. Boot Space, 175 Ltr that is not easy to access.
7. Rear seat space: Though good for the size but for outside city trips falls short.
8. Ride quality: Not bone breaking but stiff, near Ecosport level stiff.
9. Noise insulation: I can hear people talking from outside and have to keep checking if the windows are shut properly.
10 Mine was S MT version so no ABS or Airbags.

Good points of Brio:
1. Fantastic to drive. Good control and chuckable. Felt this when we had gone to Coorg and Munnar.
2. Surprisingly good visibility owing to large glass area.
3. Super easy to drive in City and park.
4. Short turning radius (4.5M) smaller than almost any car out there.
5. Pretty good stability on the highways for the class. Can change lanes with ease even at triple digit speed.
6. Engine though not great is pretty good for in-city rides.
7. Super fun engine on the highway. Amazing to rev it and car doesn't feel strained.

How the story Began:
My In-laws had come 3 months back and they were carrying a couple of large bags. And in all my senses I took Brio to receive them.
As it had to happen One bag went into the boot the other was on the seat. No one complained but I sensed an opportunity..
Any one in Bangalore know that Bangalore and Airport are two different cities (its 52KM from my home).
With road work going on (Blatant corruption in name of white topping) I could see the discomfort of my MIL as Brio has a very bouncy rear seat. Sensed second opportunity...
As all parents are tuned same way the standard question came up..when are you two planning for the first child and for a change i was not upset, sensed a big opportunity..

Being married for 3 years now the question was expected and getting less subtle after every visit from parents and in-laws. In fact even neighbors stared asking!!! no concept of privacy.

So after lot of discussion we decided to plan our first kid this year and then slowly i brought up the topic..how will Brio suffice.

Lot of arguments flowed and I stuck to 3 trump points:
1. Safety, Brio is not great in this and we must upgrade.
2. Space: with people visiting and child stuff we will need more space.
3. Comfort: As none of us sit in the rear seat, I told both are parents are finding it difficult to get into Brio and be comfortable there.

Finally she relented to my argument and it was decided to buy a new car. I should get award of sorts to win an argument with wife.

Budgeting the car:
I jumped let's buy Hexa and Harrier and I almost slept on the sofa that night
She took charge and the budget was set to 12 Lakhs with maximum stretch to 13ish nothing more than that. (Full cash. None of us like auto loan)

I had the privilege to shortlist the cars for TD.
This when I realized it's not easy choosing a body type. Went all over the place with compact sedan to sedan to CSUV and even the Creta and Duster.

Amaze with diesel was good and within budget and the comfort of upgrading within same brand.
City petrol was withing reach and so was Verna and other compact sedans.

Reason for rejection:
1. Compact sedans don't offer much, limited space iffy build quality, barring Ameo but then space is rear seat is a joke. The GC is also low so kept CS at the back.

2. Sedans:
I like the City as a car a lot, but the build quality has surely gone down. My senior has a the older City I think the 2013 model and that seemed to be better put together. Also the seats were again on the lower side not as low as Verna but the Ingress and Egress was decent if not bad like the Brio.
I was more keen on diesel as my running has increased to 1200-1300 a month. This is only for official purpose, and long trips will only add to the KM
Low GC was an issue and one my my friends and senior say that it is something they have to be always careful off.
Not sure of the rest of country, Low GC is a big issue in Bangalore, with road works going on, monster speed breaker and in general not so great roads in Karnataka. TN seem to have better roads.
GC is fine when I am driving alone but with a full load things become different.
Even with all this City shortlisted. Never liked the Ciaz, neither of the engine is great

CSUV:
Shortlisted only 2 after going through a lot on Team BHP
Ecosport and Nexon no other CSUV was even considered or TD'ed
Liked both was hard-pressed to pick one over the other. Note to self, get a long test drive for both. Me and wife liked both these cars.

Crossovers:
Creta and Duster:
2-2.5 years back I was interested to buy one among the 3, Ecosport, Duster AWD and Creta. Even then wife did not like the Duster.
Second chance to duster: It was again rejected owing to the sub-par interiors by wife and by me for old platform and smaller airbags. The AWD was still in contention but that was over-budget by 2-3 lakhs.
Creta: Both of us liked the car immensely and almost decided on this. The only shocker for us was the price. Creta 1.6 SX diesel, which is reasonable loaded is priced at about 17L on road Bangalore.
Gave her the idea of buying the lower variant and spicing it up. Two issues here, she did not like fiddling with new car and for me it was the 1.4 engine.

Hexa and Harrier:
Till now she was reluctant to even talk about expensive cars. However after seeing them in person she was confused as well. Both Harrier and XMA are not very far from Creta. But finally better sense prevailed and we decided to stick to our budget. Though I would still pick Hexa over Harrier.

Final shortlist:
Wife put her foot down that the original budget of 12-13 cannot be breached else there is no end to the options.

So it was Ecosport and Nexon. City was not considered because of price, low seating, low GC and a bit too long for our comfort. Both ecosport and Nexon had enough space for us. I at 5'10 am the tallest in the family. The only issue was Boot space, 500L for City vs 350 for CSUV. We decided to make peace with this and settled for a CSUV. Note I still feel the CSUV at 350L can hold more luggage than a sedan with similar boot space.

The contest between Ecosport and Nexon thus began.
1. Both are quite good in the segment and difficult to pick one over the other.
2. Ecosport had better interiors and also the handling was better.
3. Nexon has better space management and the drive modes actually work.
4. Boot space is identical
5. Nexon rides better than Ecosport
6. Ecosport has better ergonomics than Nexon.
7. Both have similar features.
8. Nexon has a wider windshield than Ecosport and also the rear seat Nexon is better.

After a lot of TDing and discussion we agreed on the following
Either Ecosport Titanium Plus or Nexon XZ+. Ecosport Titanium has nothing to offer over the Nexon.

Things that tilted our decision in favor of Nexon
1. Price: At 11.6 OTR it was at least a 1.5-2L cheaper than Ecosport
2. Bit better Ride quality. WIll not say there is huge difference but noticeable
3. Boot door: Wife was not comfortable with the side opening boot door. My parking has tight space both office and home. accessing boot will be a pain
4. Rear seat space. This is noticeable more in Nexon, both legroom and width
5. 5 star crash safety rating. This impressed me a lot.
6. There was no reason to chose other brand than home grown Tata Nexon.

XUV300 was not considered as policy I do not buy car fresh off the line. especially with the usual suspects. I will still take my chances with Honda or Toyota not with any other brand. Also the boot space was a deal breaker.

Honda WRV: The diesel engine clatter and fixed rear headrest are deal breakers. Though apart from this the car seems well rounded.

Few Pics of the car
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-5-star-review.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-front-view.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-side-view.jpg  

Last edited by aniyo : 31st March 2019 at 11:00.
aniyo is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 31st March 2019, 22:43   #2140
BHPian

Deciding on Dealer and buying experience

We first started our TD with KHT domlur, being on my way home and close to my wife's office this was a good choice.
Called them up and booked a TD first week March. Visited thier showroom in domlur at 4:30 as agreed but the car was not available for TD. It was out and would have taken 45 mins to come. Was not happy and let them know it as I had booked and come.
The SA said she will get the car home at 6 and we can TD there. Went home and logged into work as I was pretty sure they will not turn up.
Surprise Surprise! They actually came to my home which is about 8KM from their center.
The TD was a decent one and liked the car. Few issues I faced but let it pass. Wife was not part of the TD

Did a second TD with them, and wife joined in. She liked the car a lot and gave a nod.
Then following weekend we TD'd the Ecosport and now she was confused. Both cars were good and we were really in a spot which way to go.

Went for another round of TD at Concorde motors dairy circle and wife liked this outlet much better than KHT. The showroom was spacious and bright unlike KHT domlur which was rather small and bit dull.
We liked the car and decided to go ahead with Nexon. Negotiated with them got an aggressive price. Booked with them by paying 11k.
We went price hunting and Prerna motors refused to budge on pricing and we continued our booking with Concorde dairy circle. They gave a delivery timeline of April 1st or 2nd week. They had a Red XZ+ in stock but was rejected by me and wife. Neither of us liked the colour. Booked Grey.

Tata decided to delete features and increase price a second time this year. This is where the trouble began. Expected price hike was 15K. The big big issue, ex-showroom cost will cross 10L thus taking the tax bracket from 14% to 17%. This will attract 1% TCS as well. Effectively a 15K price increase will lead to 50-55K increase in on-road price.

We panicked and I called up Concorde motors for any car in stock. I sense they had a car but they refused us any stock car. Just told us no car in stock
This got me irritated, checked with Prerna and KHT. Both came back within few hours and both had stock, Prerna motors with Red, KHT with Grey our colour of choice.
I asked them to share the VIN number, Prerna refused to share and asked us to come to showroom, KHT people promptly shared. Decoded the VIN Feb, 2019 mfg. Good for me. Told them will do the PDI in daylight, went over to their yard with wife next morning armed with Team-BHP PDI checklist.
Checked the VIN number given to us against the one mentioned on car body
All checks reasonable. ODO stood at 8KM which I felt was rather low but happy with it.
All seemed fine and booked the car paying 50K and told them to raise an invoice. This is important as this contains the VIN number and the car is blocked.
Must say the process of KHT is a bit slow and they wasted my whole day for PDI and advance payment. Got their bank details and made the whole payment next day.
I clearly told will not take the car without number plate. They took a couple of days to get all the formalities and Saturday, 30-March we took delivery at their service center in Mahadevpura. Must mention the service center is huge and saw a lot of Harrier and Jeep in the yard.
Decent buying experience. The SA managed to get the insurance quote to 36K. I had a offer from TATA AIG for 35K, would have gone down 2-3k more. I went ahead with the dealer itself, helps during insurance claims.

Cancelled my booking with Concorde motors and awaiting refund. Do let me know if you want any specific information.
aniyo is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 10:11   #2141
BHPian

I have been fiddling with the car trying to understand the features. I had few observations and questions
1. I understand there was a temp gauge in earlier version which was moved to the MID and now they have altogether removed it.
2. How does on shut the radio it's very frustrating. Whenever I start the car it starts in Radio mode
3. Android Auto works only with USB and not with Bluetooth, I have OnePlus 5T. Is it a phone issue or that's how it works.
4. Any suggestions to upgrade the lights, the low beam does not seem to be very bright. Will not touch the wires or have a relay. Any plug and play ideas.
Old 2nd April 2019, 16:26   #2142
BHPian

Quote:
3. Android Auto works only with USB and not with Bluetooth, I have OnePlus 5T. Is it a phone issue or that's how it works.
Not a phone issue, and technically not an issue either. Android Auto used in the car only supports the wired connection.

Latest versions of Android Auto now supports wireless. But Bluetooth does not provide enough bandwidth for an Android Auto connection, therefore they decided to make use of Wi-Fi. So for it to work, the car needs to have Wi-Fi.

It will be a couple of years before this trickles down to cars in this price bracket.
teknicsand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:00   #2143
BHPian

Silly question.. can we switch on the car when DRL is on as well. Or should we switch the DRL off before switching on the car to prevent damage like we do for headlights
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:53   #2144
BHPian

Quote:
2. How does on shut the radio it's very frustrating. Whenever I start the car it starts in Radio mode
Just long press the (middle of) volume knob to shut the radio. If you do this anytime before switching off the engine, it will not start the radio next time you switch on the engine.
Quote:
Silly question.. can we switch on the car when DRL is on as well. Or should we switch the DRL off before switching on the car to prevent damage like we do for headlights
Not required to tinker with DRL settings each time. Them being LEDs (low power intake) also helps I guess.
skumare is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 00:46   #2145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata decided to delete features and increase price a second time this year. This is where the trouble began. Expected price hike was 15K. The big big issue, ex-showroom cost will cross 10L thus taking the tax bracket from 14% to 17%. This will attract 1% TCS as well. Effectively a 15K price increase will lead to 50-55K increase in on-road price.
Not sure about deletion of features but as per official website the prices for XZA+ petrol dual tone remain same as of now(9.88L ex-showroom). Even I test drove the Nexon AMT mid March and the SA tried pushing me to book ASAP stating the prices would go up.

Congratulations on your new steed. Wish you many happy miles with it. It's an amazing all round product.

Only if it had a TC box nstead of AMT, would have landed in my garage as well

Last edited by SoumenD : 3rd April 2019 at 01:02.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks