Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2021, 09:13   #841
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Talking about tyre replacement, It seems Falken 215/65 R17s at about 13.5K are available in Mumbai. On the net searching reveals that it will be delivered India wide. Interesting thing is that Falken website says they will not honour the warranty if puschased online. Instead they suggest to call the dealer nearby. Anybody has experience on FALKEN tyres?
Otherwise my personal opinion is 235/60 R17 in any brand is a better solution under the circumstances. The steering becomes little heavier at high speeds which is ok with me.Of course the price jumps to 18K or so.
You could refer to the Tiguan tire upgrade thread for valuable comments by GTO.
Old 18th April 2021, 09:42   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukherjea View Post
You could refer to the Tiguan tire upgrade thread for valuable comments by GTO.

In an earlier post I have discussed my experience about tire upgrades for the Tiguan. I changed my tyres to Michelin PS4 SUV 235 / 65 R17 108V. The change was done at 37500 kms. The stock Hankook tires still had some life left but two of them had suffered multiple punctures and I was not feeling comfortable about using them.

I have driven more than 10k kms on the new tires and while they are slightly larger than acceptable deviation of +-3%, my experience has been very positive. The pros and cons would be as follows:

Pros:
Significantly better grip in the corners and superior braking as compared to the Hankooks
Improved steering feedback
Better ride, reduces the otherwise stiff nature

Cons:
Possible speedometer error of 2.4 percent
Heavier steering at low speeds
Marginal drop in fuel efficiency, about 1 km/liter
0.4 second slower to reach 100 km / hr

Overall, I am happy with the change and believe the pros outweigh the cons. Trust this helps.
shaktisarangi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 15:13   #843
BHPian

Hi All, I will probably be requiring to change my tyres in the next few months depending on how much run as it looks like it will be curtailed again by covid.
Mine is a highline 235/55/18. Has anyone has changed recently? if so what are the options available.
Tks.
Old 25th April 2021, 08:54   #844
BHPian

My new battery also drained with no usage for 3 days... Guess need to check the wiring and if anything is drawing current post vehicle is turned off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukherjea View Post
Hi, my car was bought in Aug 17. And the battery tray as I mentioned took the 74DIN quite happily.
Unless the tray design is changed it should fit.
Did your battery guy actually try it on?
I ca t provide a photo just now as due covid I am stuck indoors. Car is lying in a garage 4 buildings away.
So far quality of battery is concerned I can only comment on the 74DIN. It is working very well. Has survived the inactivity due covid very well.
Old 29th April 2021, 00:14   #845

Hi everyone, I own a 2017 Tiguan Comfortline, I really love the car and plan to hold onto it as long as legally possible. The car till date has only done around 20k but post pandemic i plan to use it alot more (cannot stand my petrol AT Creta anymore).

I am looking to upgrade my car's performance, while I have heard of a few places around Bombay specializing in VW ECU and TCU upgrades. I am a bit iffy on their impact on the car's long term reliability. I have no financial constraints when coming to take care of my beloved Tiguan. Has anyone here heard of any official VW tunes available to be purchased.

I have read briefly across forum out of Europe about VW Tiguan TDI 190 HP tunes sold by VW itself? This information is all blurry and I am trying to look further but cannot get more info on how to obtain it and if it would be the correct tune given the BS4 stage of my car as to the EU EURO6 stage.

Please any help or info on how to procure the best and safest tune for my Tiguan would be really appreciated.
Old 30th April 2021, 00:57   #846
BHPian

Didn't think there were many Tiguans around. But I was so wrong!

Not only are they there in sufficient numbers, a handful of them have undergone massive transformation including retrofitting DCC, heads up display, new touch screen ACC apart from the usual stuff like adaptive headlights (similar to Allspace), virtual cockpit (AID), etc.

And yes few have also got the original Dynaudio sound system with the subwoofer placed in the spare saver housing and the additional speaker on the dashboard where we have a small storage compartment!

Wondering how much would these upgrades have costed considering the usual OEM accessories are already exorbitantly priced, aluminium pedal caps for instance costs 5.5k and similarly priced is the boot tray.

Posting the link to the Facebook page for the owners to feast their eyes

https://m.facebook.com/vagtuneglobal/
torque18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 02:00   #847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTurbo View Post

I am looking to upgrade my car's performance, while I have heard of a few places around Bombay specializing in VW ECU and TCU upgrades. I am a bit iffy on their impact on the car's long term reliability. I have no financial constraints when coming to take care of my beloved Tiguan. Has anyone here heard of any official VW tunes available to be purchased.

Please any help or info on how to procure the best and safest tune for my Tiguan would be really appreciated.
Haven't heard of any official VW tunes. Best bet is to go after market.

The engine is tried and tested. Would recommend getting a tune from a known tuner who has worked on this engine - many recommendations on the forum with a lot of the mainstream guys like petes, etc.

That being said, given the complexities of the DSG, I would avoid a TCU remap and suggest sticking to a more tested engine remap.

Do keep in mind however that should the dealer find out, warranty would be void (though to be fair, it doesn't show up during routine services and I haven't yet heard of anyone who's warranty was denied due to a remap - but something to keep in mind).
Also, the car would smoke a lot more when going full throttle.
Old 1st May 2021, 10:05   #848
BHPian

Hi, I did get a few upgrades done from them and am pretty happy with the output. He is technically sound and knows what he is doing. But yes, these are expensive.. cost depends on what you want upgrade Again cost will depend on your car model (from VIN number). You can get in touch with them at +919895330033 for pricing.

I got the following done :
1. Adaptive Cruise control
2. Discovery Pro multimedia
3. Virtual cockpit
4. Seat module with massage function
5. ECU remap
6. Added comfort mode in drive mode

Next round would be to install the sub and center speaker which is possible with the upgraded system.

Cheers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Didn't think there were many Tiguans around. But I was so wrong!

Not only are they there in sufficient numbers, a handful of them have undergone massive transformation including retrofitting DCC, heads up display, new touch screen ACC apart from the usual stuff like adaptive headlights (similar to Allspace), virtual cockpit (AID), etc.

And yes few have also got the original Dynaudio sound system with the subwoofer placed in the spare saver housing and the additional speaker on the dashboard where we have a small storage compartment!

Wondering how much would these upgrades have costed considering the usual OEM accessories are already exorbitantly priced, aluminium pedal caps for instance costs 5.5k and similarly priced is the boot tray.

Posting the link to the Facebook page for the owners to feast their eyes

https://m.facebook.com/vagtuneglobal/
amithsebastian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 10:58   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amithsebastian View Post

I got the following done :
1. Adaptive Cruise control
2. Discovery Pro multimedia
3. Virtual cockpit
4. Seat module with massage function
5. ECU remap
6. Added comfort mode in drive mode

Next round would be to install the sub and center speaker which is possible with the upgraded system.

Cheers !
Congrats!

Those are worthy upgrades.

So what's the power output now after the remap and is it their own map or sourced from outside?

Doesn't adding comfort mode require DCC?

If you don't mind sharing the cost of the upgrades, it would give us some idea of how deep a hole in the pocket we are looking at
Old 1st May 2021, 11:43   #850
BHPian

Don't have the exact power reading ... It's up by 15-20% and the drive feel is good and I am liking the peppiness ... The remap file was sourced from their source in UK for the engine/transmission we have ( most of them source it this way )
Comfort mode doesnt need DCC to be activated. But they might work more differently when you have DCC.
All the above will set you back by around 4-5L. Again it comes with the customisation.. for e.g ACC - new front logo/ Lidar unit/ wiring set/ steering switches and programming... For the virtual cockpit... VC and facia and programming..
There would be cheaper options sourced from China but I got most of my stuff come from Europe.

Cheers
amithsebastian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 22:52   #851

Hi Fellow T-BHPians, Hope everyone is doing good. I need an advice on buying a pre-worshipped Tiguan 2.0 TDi Highline(among other options).

Background:
I am looking to upgrade from an 8-yr old Hyundai i20 Sportz. I have been on the hunt since 6-8 months with the criteria being an AT, budget around 20L and a vehicle with a sense of upgrade in terms of ride, power, features etc. Have to admit that I am slightly inclined towards the so-called SUVs due to larger GC. Going with the wave, I test drove the hot selling SUVs - Seltos and Creta, and half-heartedly booked a Creta SXO in Nov '20. Delivery was promised in March '21. I booked it knowing that I would cancel if I found a better alternative. I happened to test drive Rapid and Vento ATs, in the meanwhile, and I was more than impressed with the ride and handling but found them to be too basic wrt features. It was around the same period that I joined this wonderful group, Team-BHP. I spent a lot of time going through ownership and other helpful threads, since I had a long 4 month wait period. The views of owners of cars from VAG group matched with my experience wrt ride, handling. Gradually, I had made up my mind to cancel Creta booking(It helped that the delivery was delayed by 2-3 months) and wait for Kushaq/ Taigun/ Tiguan/ Octavia. I know that the later 2 are beyond my mentioned budget of 20L but I wanted to just consider them.

Present Day:
I have been on constant lookout for pre-worshipped Tiguan, Octavia or similar, 1-3 yrs old, that would fall into a budget of 20-25L. Recently, I found the following:

1) Tiguan 2.0 TDi Highline - Jan '20 - 29k kms done at 26.5L
2) Octavia 1.8 TSi L&K - Feb '20 - 17k kms done at 26L
3) Karoq 1.5 TSi - Sep '20 - 7.5k kms done at 26L

The first two are directly from owners and the third is from a dealer. These are the purchase dates and expected prices mentioned by respective parties. I am yet to test drive/ negotiate. Karoq at that price doesn't make sense to me. I am inclined towards the Tiguan.

I would need suggestions/ advice on which of these would be value propositions to be pursued further. Kindly note that this would be a first experience of a pre-worshipped car for me.

PS: Mods, kindly move the post to relevant thread, if need be.
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:47   #852

Hello

I want to upgrade to the Tiguan Allspace Petrol. I presently have a Tiguan diesel highline December 2019 model. It has run 15k km. If you are interested do let me know.

I am unable to figure out how to message a Fellow BHPian. Hence I have posted in the forum as a response to the post. Apologies if the post is irrelevant.

QUOTE=pbr88;5055230]Hi Fellow T-BHPians, Hope everyone is doing good. I need an advice on buying a pre-worshipped Tiguan 2.0 TDi Highline(among other options).

Background:
I am looking to upgrade from an 8-yr old Hyundai i20 Sportz. I have been on the hunt since 6-8 months with the criteria being an AT, budget around 20L and a vehicle with a sense of upgrade in terms of ride, power, features etc. Have to admit that I am slightly inclined towards the so-called SUVs due to larger GC. Going with the wave, I test drove the hot selling SUVs - Seltos and Creta, and half-heartedly booked a Creta SXO in Nov '20. Delivery was promised in March '21. I booked it knowing that I would cancel if I found a better alternative. I happened to test drive Rapid and Vento ATs, in the meanwhile, and I was more than impressed with the ride and handling but found them to be too basic wrt features. It was around the same period that I joined this wonderful group, Team-BHP. I spent a lot of time going through ownership and other helpful threads, since I had a long 4 month wait period. The views of owners of cars from VAG group matched with my experience wrt ride, handling. Gradually, I had made up my mind to cancel Creta booking(It helped that the delivery was delayed by 2-3 months) and wait for Kushaq/ Taigun/ Tiguan/ Octavia. I know that the later 2 are beyond my mentioned budget of 20L but I wanted to just consider them.

Present Day:
I have been on constant lookout for pre-worshipped Tiguan, Octavia or similar, 1-3 yrs old, that would fall into a budget of 20-25L. Recently, I found the following:

1)
volksvig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 14:02   #853

@volksvig, yes, pls mail me on pbhaskar288@gmail.com to discuss further. Thanks!
Old 8th May 2021, 22:51   #854
BHPian

Hi

Has anyone got the sunroof servicing done at the annual service? Wanted to carry out preventive cleaning of the channels and the drain holes after reading about the common leaking issues in Tiguan's sunroof.

Looking for some guidance and procedures for the same.

Thanks!
Old 17th May 2021, 21:26   #855
BHPian

Fellow members,
I am in a middle of dilemma and need your expert advice to make a decision between Jeep Compass 2021 and VW Tiguan 2021.

Primary requirement-
  • Crossover / Monocoque
  • Less than INR 40 lacs (max budget)
  • 2Ltr engine offering at least 170+ BHP
  • 5 seater- (4 adult + 1 tall and soon to be teenager kid)
  • Reliable and well built
  • Petrol/Diesel- preferably Petrol considering the lower mileage (between 10K to 15K Kms max per year), considering stringent and changing registration laws, possibly my last IC opportunity.
  • 4WD (good enough to get me out of sticky situation just in case) don't need body of frame offroaders
  • Top priority max safety features and good driving dynamics, automatic (preferably paddle shifter)
  • Top variant only, to ensure all features are preloaded. I do not like to invest in upgrades or aftermarket accessories, only exceptions- Mats, Mud flaps and any body protection kit (if necessary).
  • Should be my pride at least for 5 years if not more. (I generally like to upgrade every 5 years but that’s more of a choice than a rule)
  • Only car in my family of 5 and I am the only one to drive
  • Sufficient Boot space

My current/past possessions
  • 1st Gen Polo Highline Diesel (2011)- Used for 4.5 years. No niggles, no challenges, was slightly expensive maintain, but was never an issue for me. My favorite car
  • XUV 5OO W10 AT AWD (2016)- Used it for 5 years and sold it past 1st Jan, 2021
  • Current Ride- No 4 wheeler at home. Due to Covid, somehow just suspended investing in anything new until things get normalized. Although following are my current 2 wheeler rides-
  1. Piaggio Vespa Vx (2013)
  2. Kawasaki Versys 650 (2019)
My regular Drive
  • Everyday lone drive to Office and Home (14Kms 1 way)
  • Mumbai, Kolhapur or Shirdi: Once every 2 months with family
  • Goa- Once every year ( mostly Me+Wife+Son)

Cars I have recently test driven (My comments on each vehicle are my personal observations and views and should not hurt any owner’s feelings as I do loved my XUV 5OO with all the short comings mentioned later in the post as it was my possession)-
  • Jeep Compass Petrol auto- I liked the built quality, driving dynamics, safety features and braking. I hated the serious lack of power to pull the car in lower RPMs. I am a pretty sedate driver and I am always respectfully drive each vehicle even if it's a demo car, to ensure that I experience vehicle as per my regular driving style and not being a hooligan. It just felt as if the car just failed on me and was unsure if I il be even comfortable overtaking with that apparent lack of power. Anyways, I won't be considering a Petrol option anyways with Compass, as it lacks 4WD option and only went ahead with test drive as that was the only option available at dealership and wanted to use my visit to at least experience the built quality and driving dynamics. From what I have understood from fellow members- diesel has a decent power and should be able to deliver on my expectations. I am yet to test drive it.
  • Citroen C5 Aircross- Good power, built quality and braking capability. Didn't really felt anything special about the comfort USP Citroen has been shouting about, I rather felt the rear bench is more uncomfortable than my XUV 5OO. No AWD. For a car that cost INR 32lacs ex showroom it seemingly lacked features that even Creta might be offering. To me post price reveal, it was a Dead of Arrival product. I gave the exact same response when their sales representative checked with me post price reveal.
  • Skoda Superb L&K (2020 variant)- Took a TD of car post my wife's insistence on trying out a sedan. To be honest, I loved everything about it, except- INR 42 lacs on road cost that breaches my budget (no I will not consider sports variant- as I said earlier in the post, I only always consider top end variant). Lacks 4WD (but I am ready to forego this if I can afford this ). Though, I would be seriously having my heart in my mouth every time I approach a speed hump.
  • Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace- Loved the driving dynamics, braking and overall built quality. Simplistic and minimum design language both exterior and interiors is what I somehow am fan off. At the same time, that extra length I just didn't like as it gave the car an estate look more than a crossover, and the last row seats are absolute useless and didn't make any sense for me to carry that extra bulk.

Few others I have test drove just for experience-
  • Ford Endeavour (Loved Driving and comfort, hated braking and lack of features, interiors look a generation old)
  • Toyota Fortuner 2020 (Hated it, period)
  • Skoda Karoq- Just felt it’s too small a car for what it's worth. Though, loved driving dynamics, braking and comfort. Lacks 4WD.
  • Hyundai Tucson- Good car, but definitely felt like a generation old especially on the interiors (I hate the new variant exterior design). Somehow, I am not confident investing in a Hyundai in that segment (budget) understanding their primary focus on Creta and below segment.

My Plan
Have good long test drives of the following 2 cars (possibly back to back) and take a final decision-
  • Jeep Compass Model S Diesel Auto
  • Volkswagen Tiguan 2021 (5 seater)

At this point my preference would be for Tiguan more than Compass, as I have past experience dealing with VW and I am keen to avoid diesel on this occasion. What might tilt the balance in Compass’s favour maybe- exorbitant pricing by Volkswagen, too many features dropped from India variant, and most importantly further delaying launch of Tiguan.
In worst case, if none of these 2 options workout for me, I may just wait for few more months and invest in Skoda Superb L&K

I am specifically not considering upcoming Mahindra XUV 7OO or Tata Safari- I have owned a Mahindra for 5 years now and while the overall engine and transmission performance was good, I simply hated it’s built quality, scary uncertain braking, wrongly angled driver seating position. I had purchased it in 2016 as at that time it impressed me with a feature list that matched (almost) with the feature list of Honda CRV (my aspiration at that time) on brochure, but it was limited only on brochure only as it lacked the finishing and qulaity. Within a month of ownership, I could see plastic, fibre panels falling apart in a INR 21lac vehicle and it gave me nightmares, until I decided to escalate things due to slow moving service centre, by reaching out to Anand Mahindra on Twitter. They got it fixed within next 2 days, but that gave me enough lessons to not go for feature list or what your wife loves :P (she just lived XUV 5OO exterior design and road presence). No offense, but I would stay away from Indian manufacturers in this segment while being very well aware that each of them own a renowned international brand and share technology and platform. I am aware things have improvised a lot in past 5 years, but I ain't looking to risk it this time, as that's what I had heard 5 years back.

Conclusion
I hope this post, offers enough background and context to my question, and would love to hear what the forum has to say.

Last edited by bblost : 17th May 2021 at 21:44. Reason: removed extra smileys.
cloudno19 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks