Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2020, 21:16   #796
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

I had my Tiguan highline serviced today. Two years or 30000 km.
However, thanks to covid and Work from home means my actual mileage is less than 9000 km.
I specifically asked them to check the battery and replace if needed as I have not used the car for over 2 months. They said that there’s nothing wrong with it.

My two questions
1. Is it actually required to go for yearly maintenance with such low usage.
2. How do I independently check the battery as I can’t believe that it’s still good.
Old 6th December 2020, 12:08   #797
BHPian

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

My responses to the above queries are as follows:
- The difference is 3.4 percent which is slightly over the recommended upsizing limit of 3 percent.
- The corresponding error in speedo is a negative bias of upto 3.4 percent, which essentially means a speedometer reading of 100 km/hr at an actual speed of 103.4 km/hr
- Other drawbacks include drop in fuel efficiency of 1 km per liter due to higher rolling resistance, and a drop of 0.7 seconds in the 0-100 km/hr sprint.
- However, IMHO even with all the drawbacks stated above the gains in ride comfort, grip and handling are totally worth it.
- The battery gives no indication before it stops working. It just stops. The only way to check is by doing a scan on the battery when you visit the workshop for service. You have to request them to scan and check health and recharging status.
- My left front ABS sensor also stopped working and was replaced under warranty, this looks like it may become another repetitive issue ( let's keep a watch)
- If you intend to keep the car for long it makes sense to get the extended warranty for 5th year, however the maintenance package does not make sense as the difference in service cost and AMC cost is marginal.

Do let me know in case of any other queries. As of now my car is running beautifully and I just completed a trip to Goa.

Last edited by shaktisarangi : 6th December 2020 at 12:20.
shaktisarangi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 12:11   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksvig View Post
Once I returned to Hyderabad, today morning I noticed that all four window buttons near the drivers seat have stopped working and the switches have become loose. Also, the window lock button seems to have gone inside totally and isn’t working when I press it. Have any of you faced this issue? What could be the reason for it? I have yet to take the vehicle to the service centre but I am already worried whether the warranty will cover this. Hoping that it is a minor issue. But still shocked that such an issue has come Any solutions to this if anyone have faced this issue? TIA

This is the first time I am hearing of this issue. Was there any liquid spill on the switch panel ? It is important to also check if the door pad was removed during service for any reason ? In all likelihood VW should replace it under warranty provided there are no visible signs of liquid damage.
shaktisarangi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 21:05   #799
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree View Post

My two questions
1. Is it actually required to go for yearly maintenance with such low usage.
2. How do I independently check the battery as I can’t believe that it’s still good.
Yes, moisture and other contaminants build up due to non use, so an oil change is necessary. Stick to the servicing schedule.

Battery - buy a multimeter and check.It should read around 14V
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 22:20   #800

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktisarangi View Post
This is the first time I am hearing of this issue. Was there any liquid spill on the switch panel ? It is important to also check if the door pad was removed during service for any reason ? In all likelihood VW should replace it under warranty provided there are no visible signs of liquid damage.
I had taken it to the workshop and the service personnel were absolutely clueless as to why this happened. They have told me that this doesn’t come under warranty as it apparently isn’t a manufacturing defect. The insides of the switches have broken and a new unit as to be ordered. Cost is around Rs. 4600. As of now a temporary repair is done wherein out of that four switches, the controls for the driver seat and the rear right side window is functioning.
Old 7th December 2020, 19:01   #801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukherjea View Post
Hi I was curious. Isn’t that beyond the normal upsizing limit?
I see the nearest size would be 235/60 R17. Though none of these sizes would be made in India.
Is your speed reading etc all working ok?

My Tiguan Comfortline lost its original Exide battery Nov 19 in Allahabad during a drive Mumbai Kolkata, when I had stopped in Civil lines to buy something.
It was 2 years and 3 months from purchase date.
The VW RSA came up trumps and I got a breakdown truck in about 30 mins. This was eight in the evening. Got jump start to go back to hotel. Next morning called the local VW service who said it will take days to get the battery.

Called the local Battery dealer whose name I had got from JustDial, they recommended Exide Epiq 70DIN with 3 years unlimited and 2 more years proportional warranty.
They came in 1 hour time and replaced the battery and I was good to go.

Later I checked with my friends in Kolkata who are in Motor trade and they were very positive about the Epiq Battery. It’s running since then and has had a forced idle time of 3.5 months during Covid. No problem at all.

The car has been to service center in Mumbai thrice since then, and nobody made a fuss about the battery though the car is in warranty still. I have had the Aircon cooling coil which developed a leak during the forced idling due Covid, and ABS sensor front left which failed about fifteen days back, replaced under warranty.

My Skoda Yeti original Varta battery had lasted me about 5 years and died in Kolkata on another trip. That was due to the fact that car was idle for about six weeks in Kolkata.
Then I had replaced it with Amaron. I sold the Yeti after another two years. The Battery was working fine.
Thanks for the info on the battery, pls. share the link for "Exide Epiq 70DIN". I could find only EXIDE EPIQ
(EPIQDIN74L) https://www.exidecare.com/battery-Fo.../KODIAQ/DIESEL

I hope Kodiaq and Tiguan use the same battery. None of the battery finders have Tiguan in the list :-(
Old 7th December 2020, 19:48   #802
BHPian

Hi, sorry for the wrong number. It is 74DIN.
It fits in battery tray perfectly.
There are 3 slots for the clip depending on the battery length.
This EPiq 74 used the last slot.
The Original battery used one step smaller.

So long the car is not hybrid or shuts down and restarts on its own at stop signal, these batteries are fine.
I suspect the Kodiaq battery tray will be the same as Tiguan. Even the Yeti had taken the longer battery happily. Only the original felt cover for the battery did not fit anymore.
Old 7th December 2020, 20:06   #803
BHPian

status.
- My left front ABS sensor also stopped working and was replaced under warranty, this looks like it may become another repetitive issue ( let's keep a watch)

Yes actually the service advisor smiled and said you should hope the rest Sensors also fail before the warranty expiry.

They fail mostly if its been submerged for a while.
The Polo sensor is on top of the wheel rim whereas on Tiguan its mounted at the rear horizontally.
The UK forum does not have many references.

I have had similar ABS problem in the Yeti that I had for 7 years. It had happened I think on the 5th year of ownership. I had the rear right replaced at company workshop and front left by my friendly local mechanic.

Actually I have already searched in Internet and not found any.
Polo sensors are in Amazon.
Old 12th December 2020, 22:06   #804

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVM View Post
That is sad to hear volksvig. Can you please post some photos of the switches.
Here you go. If you observe, the left two switches are slightly ahead and are non-functional. Getting the entire set replaced. Parts took a week to come. Getting it replaced. Apparently not under warranty which is quite a dampener
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-efad634e0af54b64930f7b03eef62d56.jpeg  

Old 12th December 2020, 23:39   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksvig View Post
Here you go. If you observe, the left two switches are slightly ahead and are non-functional. Getting the entire set replaced. Parts took a week to come. Getting it replaced. Apparently not under warranty which is quite a dampener
Looks like something that supports the switch inside has either broken of been dislocated. I think it is unreasonable not to cover this in warranty if not caused by any external misuse.
Old 13th December 2020, 08:05   #806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
Looks like something that supports the switch inside has either broken of been dislocated. I think it is unreasonable not to cover this in warranty if not caused by any external misuse.
Yes. That’s what I told the SA. But apparently not covered because it is not a manufacturing defect. I am not sure what is then. Anyways no patience to argue with the Volkswagen folks here. You should consider yourself lucky if you manage to get the spare parts on time
Old 14th December 2020, 12:41   #807
BHPian

Took the Tiguan for 1st year service last week, the total bill was 12.5K, which is roughly 2.5K more that what showboat in the recent post told.
Its again because of optionals like AC disinfection, brake pad front/rear removed/reinstalled, sadly despite repeated requests they end up added and spiking the bills.

The car has ODO 8K plus only and overall service was done pretty well, @ Volkswagen Palace cross, Rajaji Nagar service centre.

I notice that when engine is ON, the tailgate doesn't close smoothly (unlike closing smoothly, locking with small delay, the tailgate moves/closes and locks without delay, ending with a small thud), its consistent behaviour. However when engine is OFF, it works as expected almost all times, rarely able to reproduce this. This I noticed post last service.
Did anyone else encountered same, should I be addressed this urgently?

Thank you.

Last edited by lokii_83 : 14th December 2020 at 12:50.
Old 16th December 2020, 17:06   #808
BHPian

My Tiguan is over 3.5 years old and has over 12K Kms on the odometer, I am planning a long drive at the end of the month. The SA is suggesting brake pads (front and back) replacement, I am unsure if his recommendation is genuine or a sham.

Views from members will be highly appreciated. What is the life of the brake-pads and price points for the replacement for the Tiguan?
Old 16th December 2020, 17:14   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk2kin View Post
My Tiguan is over 3.5 years old and has over 12K Kms on the odometer, I am planning a long drive at the end of the month. The SA is suggesting brake pads (front and back) replacement, I am unsure if his recommendation is genuine or a sham.

Views from members will be highly appreciated. What is the life of the brake-pads and price points for the replacement for the Tiguan?
For a perspective, i had to change the front brake pads at 18k kms and rears at 22k kms, but i think it greatly depends on how the car is driven.
Old 22nd December 2020, 18:50   #810
BHPian

hello fellow Tiguan Owners,
Has anyone thought about ECU remapping of Tiguan? I am considering a 37000 kms run, 2017 highline offered at 22 lacs. Being a happy owner of 2012 Jetta which was later pete's tuned (stage-1) to bring the best of both worlds, I am genuinely considering Tiguan. I am never happy running stock maps atleast on mod friendly Germans.

Also, what kind of expenses I am looking at? I have thought of following:
1) new tyres, the stock R18 will need replacement - 60K for all 4 tyres?
2) New Battery ??
3) New breakpads, not sure but can get it checked at VW
4) Transmission oil?? , whats the recommended interval for change?

Apart from this, any other usual suspects like Aircon, condensor, waterpump??

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks