Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2018, 19:50   #976
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes I sure hope so that they have the parts. Thankfully most of the parts should be available at least in their Pune factory.
My experience with LED bulbs in the Compass has been quite bad. I first got Excelite LED bulbs from the dealer at 18k - totally useless. Next I ordered LED bulbs from Aliexpress, again useless, then again one more set from Aliexpress called GTRS G8L which also don't have the right beam throw. Finally I settled on 9011 Philips halogen HIR bulbs which are much better than stock and have the exact same wattage of 65W , from Amazon US. Get these bulbs from there as they are the best option with proper beam throw.

Hi! Sorry I am completely clueless about what bulb to buy and trying to understand my best options for buying something in the US. I do not want the following:
- Something that voids warranty
- Or generates too much heat, have seen OEM housings melt with overpowered bulbs in other cars

I see some LEDs with built in fans and claims of 6k intensity @36W/ bulb priced around $150, I am OK with buying something like that, provided it doesnt affect warranty. If not - would something like this fit the requirement?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1OL356/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

For my limited compass - what bulb should I be looking for H3/ H11 - are they interchangeable?

Last edited by ff1609 : 21st April 2018 at 19:51.
Old 21st April 2018, 20:10   #977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
Hi! Sorry I am completely clueless about what bulb to buy and trying to understand my best options for buying something in the US. I do not want the following:
- Or generates too much heat, have seen OEM housings melt with overpowered bulbs in other cars

I see some LEDs with built in fans and claims of 6k intensity @36W/ bulb priced around $150, I am OK with buying something like that, provided it doesnt affect warranty. If not - would something like this fit the requirement?

For my limited compass - what bulb should I be looking for H3/ H11 - are they interchangeable?
I would still suggest avoiding LEDs as most of them will not work properly on the Compass.
I would still suggest the 9011 HIR bulbs which are available only from US and they are a worthwhile upgrade without exceeding stock wattage of 65W. The OE stock bulbs are 9005 (also called HB3) in 65W watts only.
Old 21st April 2018, 21:04   #978
BHPian

Quote:
I would still suggest avoiding LEDs as most of them will not work properly on the Compass.
I would still suggest the 9011 HIR bulbs which are available only from US and they are a worthwhile upgrade without exceeding stock wattage of 65W. The OE stock bulbs are 9005 (also called HB3) in 65W watts only.

Thanks 9011 HIR it is then! Is this the low beam bulb or does it contain both?
Old 21st April 2018, 21:12   #979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks 9011 HIR it is then! Is this the low beam bulb or does it contain both?
The Limited version has only one bulb (9005) in the Projector housing which serves as both low beam and high beam by means of a bixenon shutter in the housing. You will need to modify the top tab of the 9011 bulb by 3mm with a nail clipper to make it fit perfectly.
(The sport variant of the Compass uses two bulbs - 9005 for Low beam and H11 for high beam. The Ltd version only uses one 9005 bulb)
Old 21st April 2018, 21:44   #980
BHPian

Quote:
The Limited version has only one bulb (9005) in the Projector housing which serves as both low beam and high beam by means of a bixenon shutter in the housing. You will need to modify the top tab of the 9011 bulb by 3mm with a nail clipper to make it fit perfectly.
(The sport variant of the Compass uses two bulbs - 9005 for Low beam and H11 for high beam. The Ltd version only uses one 9005 bulb)
Thank you for sharing that critical bit of info, I was getting swayed in the wrong directions - looking at this http://www.philipsautolighting.com/b...2017&trim=NULL
ff1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 00:12   #981
BHPian

I took delivery of my 2017 Jeep Compass Limited 4X4 in white today evening in an elaborate ceremony consisting of cake cutting, pulling the wraps off the car and handing over key and docs with the whole staff participating. Was a pleasant surprise when I consider that my Ecosport delivery 5 years ago at Lathangi Ford was a nondescript affair.

Overall, I was satisfied with the experience at the dealership. They didn't insist on in-house insurance although the SA highlighted the cashless thing. Also I transferred the 45% NCB that I had accumulated on my Ecosport to the Compass and the total savings on premium came to 52K (31K vs 83K). Will write more on that in the insurance thread.

I drove around town for about 30 km and to be honest it was really hard getting adjusted to the new experience, considering that this is my first diesel car ever and my first manual transmission in 10 years. I stalled the engine multiple times, and once during that the "Oil Pressure low" message flashed in the MID for a second and went. It didn't come back after that, so I drove another 20km, but without any more incidents. On getting home I called up the SA to check, and got a strange and unconvincing reply - that it always happens once in diesel engines. And only if it shows up again to take the car to the service center. I pray that I am not looking at the first niggle in my new car.

After trying unsuccessfully to get a tyre swap, I have decided to keep the Firestones and drive carefully. Do you see the irony of driving a 4X4 and avoiding bad roads because your tyres are too soft? BTW, the tyres are really soft. I pressed gently on the rubber and it felt like foam.

Am not sure I will be writing an initial ownership review, so this is my short take.
civic-sense is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 21:32   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
With respect to the Jeep Compass LTD and Longitude variants, I have an observation that the headlights are insufficient for safe usage...

...I strongly feel that the LTD version headlight beam with Halogens is insufficient and we should raise this to FCA collectively for some solution.
Other Compass owners with LTD and Longitude variants also please share your views!
I'll second your thoughts, I own a Jeep Compass Limited version and the headlights of this vehicle are totally insufficient for the speeds this car is capable of. I had gone to Ranthambore and night driving was scary in the mountains!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th April 2018 at 14:13. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
abhoumick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 15:04   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Am not sure I will be writing an initial ownership review, so this is my short take.
Update.

The stall fest continues. And am extremely unhappy that I am very slow from a traffic signal. By the time, I had traversed through the first and second gears, half of the fellow cars would have gone past me. There is quite a gap between the first and second gears very similar to what it was in my Palio S10. What I love is the third gear, I can run around in third gear unless I have to slow down.

The car doesn't feel like a 170bhp car. Am not complaining here. It is a heavy car and whatever power is available is good enough for my needs. Plus, I don't see any turbo lag anywhere.

The footwell is cramped. My left foot hits the dead pedal ocassionally, when I press the clutch.

The gear knob looks beautiful and is a delight to hold, but not very nice when it comes to operating. It is slippery and slips out of my hand when I have to shift to second gear.

The RPM meter is hard to read, even though it is quite large. The glass/plastic in front of it has an annoying curve and is reflective.

It wasn't very easy for me to find an comfortable riding position. I used to sit far away from the steering and the seat back reclined. The need to reach the clutch pedal has made me sit forward taking away the relaxed seating posture.

Reverse camera output isn't stellar. I would be happy if I could replace it with a a higher resolution camera. Even the screen is low resolution and low in contrast. In comparison the MID screen is superb. I'd rather switch off the MFD and look at the MID.

The steering is a delight to hold and operate. I don't feel there is a dead spot in the center - at last. My Civic and Ecosport had it.

Last edited by civic-sense : 24th April 2018 at 15:06.
civic-sense is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 09:32   #984
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After only around 9 months of use and barely 8500K Kms covered, my Compass's AC has gone on the fritz and is blowing only moderately cold air. Seems like there is a defect/ leakage in the system. Anyone else facing this issue on their Compass?
Delhi Summers are just heating up now and the AC has failed when it is needed the most! Even after 30 min of running it is not able to bring down the temperature below 26 Degrees inspite of being set at LO (which is the lowest setting).
Got the AC fixed over the weekend. The system was evacuated and checked for leaks, but no leaks were found. Compression and pressure on both the high and low side were found ok. Fault possibly with the HVAC control system in the software as there was an update to the HVAC system software and that seems to have fixed it. I had noticed that my Outdoor temperature display often used to get "hung" and display a temperature of 25 degrees when the outside temperature was actually 35 Degrees! Possibly this may have been causing the system to cool much less that required since it was measuring outside temperature as 25 when it was actually 35. Also, AC seemed to be cutting off much earlier (Maybe grill temperature cutoff was set above 5-6 degrees instead of the 3 degrees it should be set at!)
The downside is that now I see the mileage has come down from earlier 13.7 Km/L (Mixed use) to around 12 Kmpl (mixed use). But as long as it makes the AC work properly, I am fine with it , given the high temps of 42-43 we are seeing in Delhi these days.

The AC is now back to the proper cooling temperature now with a Grill temperature of 4.5 Degrees.
Keeping my fingers crossed that no more software gremlins spoil my summer experience with the Compass!

Apart from HVAC system updates, there were also 3 other system software updates (including the ECU too). Might make sense for other users too to get their softwares updates when they have time.
Honestly, I still prefer cars not to have so many complicated processors and softwares which need upgrading all the time!
Cars have become like desktop computers - continuously need Windows updates and what not to function properly! Why can't they make a car which properly runs just like a car should!!
Users in other countries have also reported weird behaviour from the HVAC system and the Uconnect system - see the myjeepcompass.com forums!

Last edited by Behemoth : 27th April 2018 at 09:35.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 17:46   #985
BHPian

A week with the Compass, and we have started to know each other better. I have learned to live with the diesel engine and manual gearbox.

I no longer win the first off the signal light contest, so I've stopped trying. I treat the honking guys behind with disdain.

I no longer rev up quickly, but wait for the revs to build up, and I shift up early. There is enough pull from the engine, so it is not really a boring affair.

There is a jerk when i release the clutch while shifting from 1 to 2. So I have to do it real slow. I hope I am not looking at premature clutch wear. I have read a few cases elsewhere.

Mileage is a disappointment. 10-11 is all I manage to get. A mileage run on the highway yielded 14kmpl, but it is boring to drive that way. Weighed in a common balance, running costs are same as my Ecosport AT, and that's not a bad thing.

The footwell is a real problem. I have a broad foot, and my left foot - inside the sandal - is unable to find its way between the clutch pedal and the wall to go and rest on the dead pedal. So I lets it rest gently on the clutch pedal itself. Is there a way to move the clutch pedal to the right by a few millimetres?

The oil pressure low warning keeps coming up whenever I stall and, on asking around, looks to be a common occurrence, and nothing to be worried about. I do hope so.

I had thought that my black Ecopsort was hard to maintain, but I was mistaken. White highlights dirt more than black. Out of laziness, and partly because I don't want the paint to lose sheen, I wash my cars only like once a month. That is now set to change. A Karcher got added to shopping list.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 07:47   #986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mileage is a disappointment.
You are judging this too early in the life of the car. All the engine components are tight. The engine and other mechanical's needs to run in a bit. Give it a few thousand km and you should notice improved bottom end response and better fuel economy average.

For the weight of a Jeep Compass, 10-11kmpl is not bad considering it is a 2l engine.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 1st May 2018 at 07:48.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 11:26   #987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
You are judging this too early in the life of the car. All the engine components are tight. The engine and other mechanical's needs to run in a bit. Give it a few thousand km and you should notice improved bottom end response and better fuel economy average.
I hope so.
Quote:
For the weight of a Jeep Compass, 10-11kmpl is not bad considering it is a 2l engine.
Maybe I was misled by the famed diesel economy. A 2L engine lugging a car weighing 1641kg delivering 10kmpl is no mean feat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
'Auto' switches between FWD & AWD seamlessly, without any driver intervention. Also engages AWD to improve launch (up to 30 - 40 km/h) and while cornering (to prevent understeer). Because it uses AWD only when required, FE will be the best in this mode.
I'd like to know more about this. Does this mean that until 30-40 kmph, power is sent to all four wheels? Isn't that wasteful if you are in bumper to bumper traffic?
Old 3rd May 2018, 11:35   #988
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'd like to know more about this. Does this mean that until 30-40 kmph, power is sent to all four wheels? Isn't that wasteful if you are in bumper to bumper traffic?
Small correction, this is to help with aggressive launch where maximum traction and power needs to be sent to the wheels, not normal daily crawling bumper to bumper.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 11:44   #989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you are willing to take a little risk I would recommend the Oedro HB3-9005 which sports a Dual Color Beam. While I have no idea on how it would work on the Jeep Headlight Housing, I got good results on the Honda City Housing.

Link: Amazon US: URL

You can check my thread here for the results on my car: URL
Old 3rd May 2018, 11:57   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
If you are willing to take a little risk I would recommend the Oedro HB3-9005 which sports a Dual Color Beam. While I have no idea on how it would work on the Jeep Headlight Housing, I got good results on the Honda City Housing.

Link: Amazon US: URL

You can check my thread here for the results on my car: URL

Thank you for sharing, I would love to do a few similar experiments but knowing how whimsical the Compass' electricals are and how callous FCA customer service is, I just don't have the courage to try it out yet

I could try it out on one of my older cars though
ff1609 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks