Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2024, 23:21   #4696
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

There is a PDI checklist on team bhp. Alternatively there are professionals who can do the same for you for a small fee.
AW1972 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2024, 06:13   #4697
BHPian

Advice Needed: Buying a Used Jeep Compass

Hello BHPians,

I’m considering a pre-owned Jeep Compass Model S AT and need some advice.

My primary ride is a 2016 Endeavour and the secondary car is a Aug 2021 Kushaq, which I got nearly new (bought in Aug 22 with 9k on the odo) from a neighbour who was leaving the country. I briefly considered the Model S in July 22; it was the only car my wife liked too, but I convinced her on the Kushaq since it appeared like the better deal.

My idea was to keep the 2nd car as pre-owned car so I can refresh it every 2-3 years, while holding onto the Endeavour dearly until it finally returns to India.

I like Jeep build quality despite it being a 10 year old model, particularly the interiors of the Model S. The idea is to stick to a >2year, >25k car, >₹20 lakhs pre-owned car. Given that 4x2 diesels are new, I can settle for a 4x2.

The challenge is that I’m seeing too many petrol listings for my comfort.

1. Is it so bad that it’s getting dumped within 2 years? Or is just the reaction to it getting discontinued?

2. Instead of the petrol, does a diesel make better sense then?

3. Given the deep discounts, is a new car better, unless I bought directly from a known seller?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th August 2024 at 09:26. Reason: Typos
StudioAbraham is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th August 2024, 07:00   #4698
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice Needed: Buying a Used Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioAbraham View Post
Hello BHPians,

I like Jeep build quality despite it being an 10 year old model, particularly the interiors of the Model S. The idea is to stick to a >2year, >25k car, >₹20 lakhs Pre owned car. Given that 4x2 diesels are new, I can settle for a 4x2.

1. Is it so bad that it’s getting dumped within 2 years? Or is just the reaction to it getting discontinued?

2. Instead of the Petrol, does a diesel make better sense then?

3. Given the deep discounts, is a new car better, unless I bought directly from a known seller?

I would not advise you to look at the Petrol at all. Its a gas guzzler, will not deliver more than 6-7 kmpl in city traffic conditions. I recall test driving the Petrol DCT extensively in Bangalore Traffic and the efficiency was very disappointing, even at times 5-6kmpl. Secondly, the petrol is now discontinued, so even if you buy used, you are going to end up with high depreciation ( which is anyway the case with Jeep, but more so with Petrol).

From my experience ( i bought a new compass diesel 4x4 AT in 2022 ), the diesel is the one to go for. Its got the grunt, the torque. The only issue is that the 9 speed ZF gear box is a bit confused and lazy at times, but its not a dealbreaker. The AT would be difficult to find, cause until recently Jeep always had the AT only in 4x4 combination, so not sure if you are going to find diesel AT with low mileage, but you can look around.

If you can, buy new, there are discounts of nearly 2L, and this is a car you can easily keep for 6-7 years. However, in the price-value equation scheme of things, you will not find the compass competitive when compared to cars like the XUV700 etc. The Compass is best enjoyed for its superb steering connect and its overall build. The moment you compare this with any other car, then it does not make sense.
motorworks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2024, 07:40   #4699
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone manually reset the "Oil Change Required" service reminder on a facelifted MT Compass?

I completed service as per the yearly schedule, but seems they forgot to reset the reminder as it came on at the kilometers mark. Service center is just way too far to visit just for this reason. I tried as most Youtube vidoes recommend (Switch to battery on and floor pedal thrice) but it does not seem to work - most likely all those instructions are for automatics.
Old 27th August 2024, 07:54   #4700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
If you can, buy new, there are discounts of nearly 2L, and this is a car you can easily keep for 6-7 years. However, in the price-value equation scheme of things, you will not find the compass competitive when compared to cars like the XUV700 etc.
Thank you, Motorworks. Any thoughts on the Sports 2.0 version? Haven’t driven a MT in a long time; however, assuming if its ~21-22 L OTR after discounts, it would still fit into my budget.
Old 27th August 2024, 13:54   #4701

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
If you can, buy new, there are discounts of nearly 2L, and this is a car you can easily keep for 6-7 years. However, in the price-value equation scheme of things, you will not find the compass competitive when compared to cars like the XUV700 etc. The Compass is best enjoyed for its superb steering connect and its overall build. The moment you compare this with any other car, then it does not make sense.
I am looking to upgrade from my 2 year old Honda Jazz and no vehicle including Taigun/Kushaq GT gave me a sense of a true upgrade. ScorpioN was the only vehicle which felt like an upgrade, but for a single person that is just too much of a car to be driven daily. I test drove the Compass a few days ago, just to see what it has to offer, since looking at it purely from a cost perspective is never going to work in its favour. It felt a league apart from what I have been driving for the past 2 years. Sure the ride is bumpy on slow speeds on potholed roads, but it gives a sense of riding a plush tank. The engine is frankly too noisy, given I have only driven petrol vehicles as my daily rides. But the confidence inspiring high speed rides and a juicy engine that insulates you from outside world works in its favour.

On the discount front, I was offered 30L on road for Limited(O) and 32.5 for Model S, without even asking for a discount. This includes Insurance, and 5 years EW. The price is still steep but I believe no other car in this price range can offer the quality Jeep has to offer.
hsaxena is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2024, 15:13   #4702
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, Motorworks. Any thoughts on the Sports 2.0 version? Haven’t driven a MT in a long time; however, assuming if its ~21-22 L OTR after discounts, it would still fit into my budget.
I've recently enquired regarding the discounts and according to my understanding, the discount is not available for the base Sport variant, you might have to go to the next variant in the line-up. Also, you need to keep in mind that the discount is "up to" 2.5L which might include stuff like exchange bonus, corporate discount etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsaxena View Post
I am looking to upgrade from my 2 year old Honda Jazz and no vehicle including Taigun/Kushaq GT gave me a sense of a true upgrade. ScorpioN was the only vehicle which felt like an upgrade, but for a single person that is just too much of a car to be driven daily. I test drove the Compass a few days ago, just to see what it has to offer, since looking at it purely from a cost perspective is never going to work in its favour. It felt a league apart from what I have been driving for the past 2 years. Sure the ride is bumpy on slow speeds on potholed roads, but it gives a sense of riding a plush tank. The engine is frankly too noisy, given I have only driven petrol vehicles as my daily rides. But the confidence inspiring high speed rides and a juicy engine that insulates you from outside world works in its favour.

On the discount front, I was offered 30L on road for Limited(O) and 32.5 for Model S, without even asking for a discount. This includes Insurance, and 5 years EW. The price is still steep but I believe no other car in this price range can offer the quality Jeep has to offer.
Without any negotiation, you've got a quote for 32.5 for Model S which itself is pretty decent, if you negotiate on the discount and ask them to match the insurance with Acko or any other provider, you may be able to get the price down to 30-31 L which is a good deal. Since you've already test-driven the Compass, if it appeals to your heart just go for it! DO NOT compare it with other cars in the segment as it will score less on VFM.

The manual is a joy to use and if your daily commute is not going to involve much bumper-to-bumper traffic, you can go for the manual. A Jeep Compass can be daily driven as it is compact enough, however, you need to keep in mind the comparatively heavy steering.

Finally, if your heart says Jeep Compass, just go for it, cause we know the next-gen is not coming and we will only realise the value once great cars are discontinued as always.
G13BB is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2024, 17:28   #4703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW1972 View Post
There is a PDI checklist on team bhp. Alternatively there are professionals who can do the same for you for a small fee.
I used Team BHP PDI list and was able to sign off on the car
PeteKing75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2024, 18:12   #4704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only issue with the sports variant is that you lose out on 6 airbags and obviously few other features. Secondly diesel MT in heavy traffic is a double blow, one for your knees and the other for the clutch. But since you mentioned that this is your second car, and if its not that heavily used then i guess you can live with it. My suggestion—Keep looking for a sparingly used Diesel AT, if you get one, you can surely keep it for 4-5 years. If you dont get a low mileage car in Chennai, DM me and i shall check in the Bangalore Jeep group. I think the Bangalore Jeep club is one of the most active ones and I see some listings now and then.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2024, 08:59   #4705
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,

My primary ride is a 2016 Endeavour and the secondary car is a Aug 2021 Kushaq, which I got nearly new (bought in Aug 22 with 9k on the odo) from a neighbour who was leaving the country. I briefly considered the Model S in July 22; it was the only car my wife liked too, but I convinced her on the Kushaq since it appeared like the better deal.

My idea was to keep the 2nd car as pre-owned car so I can refresh it every 2-3 years, while holding onto the Endeavour dearly until it finally returns to India.

I like Jeep build quality despite it being a 10 year old model, particularly the interiors of the Model S. The idea is to stick to a >2year, >25k car, >₹20 lakhs pre-owned car. Given that 4x2 diesels are new, I can settle for a 4x2.

2. Instead of the petrol, does a diesel make better sense then?

Don't buy a diesel manual . It will be difficult to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. The Petrol AT has got a lovely engine and gives you a smooth ride. It does give only 6-7 kmpl in traffic and if you are not bothered by it I would suggest you go for a petrol automatic. Trust me, I own one.
bangaloreguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2024, 09:32   #4706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangaloreguy View Post
Don't buy a diesel manual. The Petrol AT has got a lovely engine and gives you a smooth ride. It does give only 6-7 kmpl in traffic and if you are not bothered by it I would suggest you go for a petrol automatic. Trust me, I own one.
Thank you, for the advice! The manual is definitely off the table now. I was only considering it because of the pricing on the Sport 2.0. I was being silly that I’d get the 2L discount on that model as well!

I don't spend much time in heavy city traffic—most of my driving is on the outskirts of the city on wider roads, primarily to my farm and back. For city trips, I usually prefer my Endeavour over the Kushaq. So the mileage is not a deal breaker.

Apart from the mileage, are there any other downsides to the Petrol AT version? I'm also curious if Jeep has provided any assurances about the availability of spares, similar to what Ford did when they closed their India operations.

I've see couple of 2022 Petrol AT Model S units with >30k & >16k on the odometer, priced around 21L to 22L, and some 2021 models at similar prices. Do these prices seem reasonable to you? While the OTR was around 34L, not sure what kind of discounts Jeep was offering back then.
Old 28th August 2024, 09:53   #4707
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, for the advice! The manual is definitely off the table now. I was only considering it because of the pricing on the Sport 2.0. I was being silly that I’d get the 2L discount on that model as well!

I don't spend much time in heavy city traffic—most of my driving is on the outskirts of the city on wider roads, primarily to my farm and back. For city trips, I usually prefer my Endeavour over the Kushaq. So the mileage is not a deal breaker.

Apart from the mileage, are there any other downsides to the Petrol AT version? I'm also curious if Jeep has provided any assurances about the availability of spares, similar to what Ford did when they closed their India operations.

I've see couple of 2022 Petrol AT Model S units with >30k & >16k on the odometer, priced around 21L to 22L, and some 2021 models at similar prices. Do these prices seem reasonable to you? While the OTR was around 34L, not sure what kind of discounts Jeep was offering back then.
There are no downsides I'm aware of. I'm not well versed with the resale market so I can't advise you there. Also, Jeep has no reason to provide assurances since they are very much in India and have not closed shop. All manufacturers are mandated to provide a supply of spares as per industry standards and Jeep is no exception.
bangaloreguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2024, 01:12   #4708
BHPian

[quote=CrAzY dRiVeR;5830611]Has anyone manually reset the "Oil Change Required" service reminder on a facelifted MT Compass?

You need an OBD scanner to reset the service reminder. A lot of the independent garages have one. You can try with them
Old 29th August 2024, 11:33   #4709

Hello Members,

I am planning to book the Jeep Compass Black Shark AT under the ongoing 8th Anniversary offer, but today just saw this new article from Autocar talking about some update coming to the Compass this festive season (https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-season-432669). Any idea on these updates? Thanks!
Old 29th August 2024, 16:06   #4710

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoOc10 View Post
Hello Members,

I am planning to book the Jeep Compass Black Shark AT under the ongoing 8th Anniversary offer, but today just saw this new article from Autocar talking about some update coming to the Compass this festive season (https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-season-432669). Any idea on these updates? Thanks!
The dealer in my hometown was pressing to book Compass by the end of this month and mentioned Jeep probably wouldn't continue with the offers post 31st. I didn't pay much attention to him, but going by this article if there's an update around the corner, the discounts will definitely be off the table for newer models.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks