Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2024, 12:05   #4651

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSEW-Compass View Post
Finally booked the 2023 April Model of Limited (O) 4*4 Model with Jeep dealer at Mumbai. Managed to secure some discount so 2023 instead of 2024 model.
I didn't find a lot of merit in spending extra for ventilated seats and digital instrument cluster so Limited(O) made more sense over Model S. Finally it was down to deciding between 2024 (4*2) vs 2023 (4*4) so opted for later. Didn't have colour options (only white & silver) so ended up deciding on white with black top. I would have loved the green! While I am not a big fan of the service advisors I am dealing with at the showroom, hope to get a better experience while servicing!

Before deciding on Jeep, did trials of Mahindra Scorpio/Thar/VW-Tiguan/Taigun/Skoda-Kushaq (in past)/MG. Didn't want to go for Hyundai/Honda/Maruti etc. Had taken quite a few trials in last 6 months with Jeep. Nothing is as good as the drive stability and quality of suspension of Jeep.
Finished one month with my Jeep Compass - Limited 4*4 Diesel Auto (2023 model).

Here are a few takeaways:

1. Completed some 2,200 kms and absolutely love the drivability. Did multiple trips between Mumbai-Pune and drove a lot in Mumbai+Pune traffic. Enjoying every drive. While I do miss the manual gear shifts but moving from a manual car (Polo GT-TDI) to an automatic car is a different world transition, love the power and punch Jeep Compass possesses.
2. Not bothering to check the mileage in the initial month. Its given around 11.5 with a 50:50 mix of city + highway drive.
3. Absolutely love the stability on curves, no body-roll whatsoever.
4. Felt slight seat discomfort (neck), still getting used to with it. Still figuring out a sweet spot on the eight way adjustable seating. Bought neck pillows recently and its greatly comfortable now for the neck region.
5. While using radarbot app for navigation, the AC turns on and off frequently during the voice beeps. Don't know if there is any way to fix it
6. Auto start-stop button needs to be turned off every time I start the car. I understand it consumes lot of battery. Jeep sales advisor and lot of other article suggest to keep it off. Wasn't comfortable driving it in traffic as it randomly stopped the car on couple of occasion. Wondering if there is a permanent fix for it to turn it off from back end.
7. I love the roof (glass top and not fully open). The ambient light through the roof is very pleasing while driving (except during harsh sun).
8. Ad-Blu warning hasn't come up yet. I was told that Ad-blue needs to be topped up at every 1,000 odd kms. Keeping a 5 ltr can in the boot (just in case).

Issue and seeking guidance:

Occasionally I have noticed some inconsistency in gear shift. Normally (80-90% of the time) while accelerating, the gear up-shift happens with 2000-2200 RPM with each gear shift. At times (one-offs), this is inconsistent (especially at low speeds between 20 to 40ish), RPM goes all the way to 3000 RPM and stays there and makes loud obvious noise. Has anyone else experienced this. Thinking to take it to service station if it persists. Also experienced this while on a descending road recently. Is this a normal behaviour or something majorly concerning.

Regards,
Chetan

Last edited by Sheel : 17th June 2024 at 13:05. Reason: JC = Jeep Compass. Please do not use acronyms, please type the full make / model name.
Old 18th June 2024, 00:22   #4652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post

The next mod coming up is an A-pedal enhancer box like Ultimate 9. This should make up for the lack of drive modes and help with the dull response that diesel ZF combo has. Still figuring out the players in this market as this needs to be a reliable unit.
This sounds interesting. I always had the opinion that only remap can help to get rid of the gear box lag in Compass/Meridian.

I just glanced over a relevant page(https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-review-4.html (EVCX Ultimate 9 Throttle Enhancer Review)) where the same is being discussed.

Do you think oem deliberately detune this throttle opening response to increase the lifespan of the engine or other machinery in action, maybe?
Old 18th June 2024, 22:40   #4653
BHPian

Whenever you get notifications on radarbot or if you listen to your messages over the infotainment system, the AC blower speed reduces so that the message can be heard clearly. It's just a feature
Adblue needs to be topped up after every 6-8k kms. There is a gauge showing the adblue level. Top it off anytime it falls below the 50% mark. Most fuel pumps now stock adblue. Don't need to carry it around.
Auto start stop needs to be switched off every time you start. There no permanent fix.
I own a manual diesel so cannot advise on the automatic behaviour
Old 21st June 2024, 12:58   #4654

Hello everyone,

Curious to know if anyone in our Jeep compass family has upgraded the tyre to 235/55/R18 from the stock 225/55/R18?

I have driven my Compass 37K on my stock Bridgestone Turanza. Time to change the tyres.
Need advice from fellow Compass owners.
Old 21st June 2024, 23:49   #4655
BHPian

They are a good fit, but around 3-4k more expensive per tyre
Old 23rd June 2024, 12:05   #4656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy View Post
Hello everyone,

Curious to know if anyone in our Jeep compass family has upgraded the tyre to 235/55/R18 from the stock 225/55/R18?
I have done this. It is a good fit and does not touch anywhere. No speedo error as well. The only minus point to be noted is that the Compass rims are best matched with 225 width. So the rear contact patch may not be as good as you would expect at the recommended pressure. You can see this after a drive the edges of the rear wheel treads do not get dirty as if they are not touching the ground. Reducing the pressure should work to correct it but the TPMS does not let you do this. The Meridian rims I think are a bit wider than the Compass ones for the same dia.
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 15:00   #4657

What about the comfort and driving dynamics with 235 size rims?

Last edited by KarthikK : 23rd June 2024 at 15:06.
Old 25th June 2024, 14:15   #4658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy View Post
What about the comfort and driving dynamics with 235 size rims?
The size does not make a notable difference in my opinion. Definitely the comfort and road noise is an upgrade compared to the Bridgestones it came with originally. But this could be more to do with the brand rather than the size. I knew 235 will not cause a problem because I once drove a rental Compass abroad that was shod with 235 on 19 inchers, the ride was quite harsh due to low profile, which we would not have as the India Compass comes with max 18 inchers.

You can go for 235 if you would like to be reassured that you have the widest possible tyre in case of any emergency situation. One of the main but short lived reasons why I went for the wider size is the slight increase in GC. The front aero flap used to touch the ground on the ramp while backing at my home however slow I take it. The few mm increase with the new tyre has stopped this from happening but I think as it wears down it will start scraping again.

Last edited by alphahere : 25th June 2024 at 14:25.
Old 26th June 2024, 08:55   #4659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
Bought a Petrol Auto S variant in May 2022, when the chip shortage was at its peak, I have finally christened the car Muad'Jeep
I have only one thing to say :

Jeep Compass : Official Review-dune.jpg
SithDefender is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 15:48   #4660
BHPian

I was looking for throttle controllers. The guy seems to be pretty confident about the device. Wondering if anyone tried it in their Compass to get around the lag/dimwit gearbox response?

Old 28th June 2024, 00:18   #4661

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSEW-Compass View Post
2. Not bothering to check the mileage in the initial month. Its given around 11.5 with a 50:50 mix of city + highway drive.

5. While using radarbot app for navigation, the AC turns on and off frequently during the voice beeps. Don't know if there is any way to fix it

6. Auto start-stop button needs to be turned off every time I start the car. I understand it consumes lot of battery. Jeep sales advisor and lot of other article suggest to keep it off. Wasn't comfortable driving it in traffic as it randomly stopped the car on couple of occasion. Wondering if there is a permanent fix for it to turn it off from back end.

8. Ad-Blu warning hasn't come up yet. I was told that Ad-blue needs to be topped up at every 1,000 odd kms. Keeping a 5 ltr can in the boot (just in case).

Issue and seeking guidance:

Occasionally I have noticed some inconsistency in gear shift. Normally (80-90% of the time) while accelerating, the gear up-shift happens with 2000-2200 RPM with each gear shift. At times (one-offs), this is inconsistent (especially at low speeds between 20 to 40ish), RPM goes all the way to 3000 RPM and stays there and makes loud obvious noise. Has anyone else experienced this. Thinking to take it to service station if it persists. Also experienced this while on a descending road recently. Is this a normal behaviour or something majorly concerning.

Regards,
Chetan
Hey first of all hearty congratulations and welcome to the Jeep Club
I have the exact same car as well albeit in a different shade.
Points I wanted to say is
Mileage would probably remain the same.
The AC's fan reduces for any voice related functionality so that the system can hear the user better. (Include for calls) but I haven't experienced it when I use GMaps with voice turned on (only the music volume decreases and GMaps volume increases).
There is no fix for auto start stop except for you to manually remember to switch it off every time you switch on the car.
For me Ad Blu lasts roughly 6-7k kms before the warning pop's up and it roughly takes in one full can to fill up (yellow one from jeep will confirm whether it's 5 or 10L)

Coming to your issue, I actually haven't noticed it, will let you know about it, if I encounter something similar when I take out the car.

Cheers
Storm
Old 28th June 2024, 14:19   #4662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Independent View Post
I was looking for throttle controllers. The guy seems to be pretty confident about the device. Wondering if anyone tried it in their Compass to get around the lag/dimwit gearbox response?
They do work as stated. I have not tried it in the Compass and will mostly get around to it by the end of this year as I need to source it and return to India. So not yet sure how it will respond on the Compass but I have a feeling it may be worthwhile on this car. Read below.

I had installed one on one of my other cars which is an X1 diesel from a different brand called DTUK and can say that it does make a huge difference to the layman. Touching the throttle, the car just wants to take off in the highest setting, do note that this thing only gives the impression of more power but that translates to a different driving experience which could be good or bad, depending on the vehicle. In the X1 I found it too eager to fly on any setting upwards of the stock and now I really don't use it anymore, the stock mapping was most comfortable.
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks