Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2024, 13:19   #4636

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity987 View Post
Thanks, this was useful! Also, would you know how to change the icons from left to right in Apple CarPlay? Sharing a screenshot to show what I mean -
I understand what you want here but somehow Jeep doesn't give this customisation option. That being said, my icons appear on the right side as it should be for a right hand drive vehicle.

Could it be the language and region setting in iPhone that controls it? Just recheck if it’s selected as India and Indian languages. Just a guess.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st June 2024 at 22:50. Reason: Typos
Old 1st June 2024, 13:55   #4637
BHPian

1st Yearly Service. Jeep Compass 4x4 Model S 2023

Did my 2nd Service 15000 K Service at 360 days. I had clocked around 9400 kms only.
Location is Celica Jeep Siliguri.
Total Cost was Rs 18592 which included 6 litres of DEF
Overall service experience was good. The people are helpful but the service centre amenities are pathetic like washroom and all.
I had a recall for the front dash board trim which was popping out at the corners. They changed that. Also had raised warranty issues for both taillamps which has fine multiple internal cracks since last 6 months. It was raised in the last visit 6 months ago and was changed in this visit. I don’t know if anyone else had this issue. Both the glass of the main taillamp assembly had multiple cracks which made it look ugly but functional and no water ingress. Also took the 2 years extended warranty.
Post service none of the interior illumination was dimming and the light sensor didn't detect day or night mode. A reset was done disconnecting the negative terminal for 10 mins which did the trick.
Old 1st June 2024, 18:15   #4638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark7426 View Post
I understand what you want here but somehow jeep doesn't give this customisation option. That being said, my icons appear on the right side as it should be for a right hand drive vehicle.

Could it be the language and region setting in iPhone that controls it? Just recheck if it’s selected as india and Indian languages. Just a guess.
I checked that, it's India and English (India). Just to do a test, I will try setting this to UK if that helps. One more question since you are a Jeep owner, what are the tire pressure settings which should be comfortable in city conditions? As per the manual, it should be 37/34, however this appears to be too stiff. I tried 35/32, but got a TPMS warning twice as the pressure went down to 30 in the rear wheels! Currently, I have kept at 36/33.
Old 1st June 2024, 23:19   #4639
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi, I’ve almost decided on Jeep compass S variant AT and will make a booking tomorrow in exchange of my 2015 E 250 CDI and 2019 rapid TDI. I have a few queries

1. Is there any cosmetic upgrade coming in the near future?
  2. Confused to go for a 2 WD or 4 WD version. I rarely does off roading as I have only owned sedans till now. Is there any difference in terms of driving dynamics, refinement and maintenance between the two?
  3. Does the 4 WD runs in 2 WD on normal roads ?

Last edited by ampere : 2nd June 2024 at 10:07.
nidhinsarath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 18:32   #4640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
  1. Confused to go for a 2 WD or 4 WD version. I rarely does off roading as I have only owned sedans till now. Is there any difference in terms of driving dynamics, refinement and maintenance between the two?
Not much of a difference except for the power-to-weight ratio. Here is the information from the official review,

The Compass base (Sport) variant has a kerb weight of 1,537 kg. Thus, the power-to-weight ratio is 111 BHP/Ton, while the torque-to-weight ratio is 228 Nm/Ton. The AWD variant however weighs over 100 kilos more at 1,641 kg. This brings down its power-to-weight ratio to 104 BHP/Ton and torque-to-weight to 213 Nm/Ton

Quote:
  1. Does the 4 WD runs in 2 WD on normal roads ?
Yes, it runs in 2WD mode.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 21:19   #4641
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Not much of a difference except for the power-to-weight ratio. Here is the information from the official review,

The Compass base (Sport) variant has a kerb weight of 1,537 kg. Thus, the power-to-weight ratio is 111 BHP/Ton, while the torque-to-weight ratio is 228 Nm/Ton. The AWD variant however weighs over 100 kilos more at 1,641 kg. This brings down its power-to-weight ratio to 104 BHP/Ton and torque-to-weight to 213 Nm/Ton

Yes, it runs in 2WD mode.
Finally booked 4 x 4 S AT variant in techno green shade.
nidhinsarath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 21:01   #4642

Recently my jeep compass, 2018 model longitude MT diesel, failed to start at my office parking. While it cranked with full energy which showed that there was no problem with the battery, it didn't start which worried me a little as the problem seemed to be a bit more than just a battery issue that happened to me a couple of times before. Long story short, I had to get my vehicle towed to the service station which took me a couple of days. Upon further analysis I was told by my service advisor that I need to spend 75k to get this problem statement fixed. As expected, my fuel pump failed but that was not my major concern as I was mentally prepared for that as the cost could have been around 25k. The shocking part was that I was told my car’s cable harness body was also damaged which costs around 40k. As I understand it in simple terms this is the complete wiring that needed to be replaced. Finally, the total bill amount came to around 60k and after a week took the delivery of car.

Now coming to the main reason why I am writing this post is to get your view on what might have gone wrong. I have mainly three reasons playing in my head which could have caused this breakdown as mentioned below

1. Substandard quality product of jeep compass parts as I have heard so much about this till now.

2. Bad quality fuel causing damage to Fuel pump and subsequently to Cable harness body.

3. Running on low fuel with indicator ON where may have run out of fuel which might have caused the fuel pump to overheat and subsequently damaged both as suggested on few websites. This has happened to me more than a couple of times due to my carelessness.
asDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2024, 13:36   #4643
BHPian

2 Years with my Jeep

Bought a Petrol Auto S variant in May 2022, when the chip shortage was at its peak, I have finally christened the car Muad'Jeep

2 years and 2 services on, I have to say it's been an absolute delight, with a few caveats. There have been bumps along the way though, as I shall elaborate below.

What I love

• Looks. Simple, classy and understated. This car exudes road presence without being unmanageably large.
  • Ride and Handling: Almost perfect feel and feedback. If there's body roll, I haven't really felt it
  • S variant is really well equipped. I want for nothing, and the Alpine sound system is sublime.
  • Beautifully done interiors. They're loaded with tech, but have an old-school vibe to them. Really good fit and finish (IMO feels better built than my Mama's 2023 X1 m sport.

What I don't like

• Rattles and Squeaks at odd times. The worst part is that they're not present all the time so I can show the SA and get it fixed.
  • Extremely poor usage of screen real estate in the Digital Instrument Cluster. There's no reason why the main speedometer and tachometer can show mileage as well. Also Speed warnings don't have to make EVERYTHING smaller just to show a tiny bit of text in small font. If there's a way to Mod this, please let me know guys.

Let's get some basics out of the way

> 1st service cost ~8k
> 2nd service cost ~19 (I got talked into spending 4k on "engine dry ice flashing" by the service advisor (SA), but he has more than made up for this upselling later on.

I've faced the dashboard rattling issue, which was resolved by the service center in a single visit, but my sunroof still squeaks and groans now and then and it is hard to replicate the same at the service center. The same goes for jarring noises when playing music at moderate volumes (I can never seem to show the service guys personally).

However, despite this, the first year with the car was uneventful.

The second service, though, threw a wrench into a smooth ride. After dropping my car off, the SA calls to inform me that the coolant tank has a leak, but worse still, the MCM (the DCT gearbox) also has a leak. However, after a bit of sweet-talking, he got both replaced under warranty. I had mentioned that the gearbox was a bit jerky recently and the mileage had dipped but that was dismissed by the test drive chaps at the service center as something that I was overthinking about as they felt everything was ok

Anywho, the car is smoother now, but can't say if the mileage has improved since I've been getting awful traffic in Delhi-NCR recently.

Also, I would like this community's opinion on certain things

> The SA recommended I get my front brake pads changed within a couple of months, and my spark plugs before winter sets in. Any recommendations on where I can get that done in Delhi from a good FNG? Also any recommendations for the parts themselves? I don't mind buying them online and getting them put at a trusted workshop. I believe I can get that done without voiding warranty.

> I'm not too happy with the insulation of the car over certain types of roads. Any recommendations on where I can get this improved in Delhi NCR?

Before I go, here's a few photos of Muad'Jeep
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-pxl_20231001_0916280412.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20231230wa0000.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-pxl_20240525_093958185.jpg  

sid3091 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 11:02   #4644
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I've found myself in a bit of a dilemma and could really use some advice from fellow car enthusiasts.

I've always been a huge fan of the Toyota Fortuner. Its looks and power have always captured my heart, and there's something about its road presence that I find unbeatable. However, when it comes to ride quality, the Fortuner just doesn't meet my expectations.

Three years ago, I decided to go for a Jeep Compass instead. I have to say, I love the ride quality it offers. It’s comfortable and smooth, making every drive a pleasure. However, the Compass doesn't have the same road presence as the Fortuner, which leaves me yearning for that commanding feel every time I see one pass by.

Now, I'm at a crossroads. It's been only three years since I bought the Compass, and I'm not sure if it's worth changing my car so soon. On one hand, I miss the allure and power of the Fortuner; on the other, I don't want to make a hasty decision and regret it later.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Should I stick with the Compass for a few more years, considering its excellent ride quality, or is it reasonable to consider switching to a Fortuner despite my reservations about its ride comfort? Any insights or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10th June 2024, 20:27   #4645
BHPian

Hi,

We were in similar situation few months back when we came across an Endeavour 3.2 for sale from a known person. I have owned Fords before and currently too, Ecosport AT and the temptation was very high to switch Compass with it. Comparing monocoque to body on frame is not right, but having been used to Compass's dynamics any body of frame would be a difficult choice, at least for me, unless the requirements are compelling.

As you said, more power, presence and proper 4x4 are definitely welcome, just cant take the twisties like I do in Compass. Decided to let go solely on dynamics but I was ok with depreciation of my 2.5 years model, in case I had gone ahead.
bullitt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 23:17   #4646
BHPian

The road presence of Fortuner is definitely a plus, no questions. If you like to go on long drives, then the compass's superior handling and ride quality will make your drives much more comfortable and enjoyable. As far as power is concerned you can always get a stage one remap done to bump up the power delivery and torque
AW1972 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 15:41   #4647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post

2 Years with my Jeep

Bought a Petrol Auto S variant in May 2022, when the chip shortage was at its peak, I have finally christened the car Muad'Jeep
Lovely car, post, and that name really cracked me up! Lisan Al Gaib!
IonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 11:14   #4648
BHPian

Nice review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
Anywho, the car is smoother now, but can't say if the mileage has improved since I've been getting awful traffic in Delhi-NCR recently.
You must not worry about mileage. Mileage is the mind-killer.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 20:40   #4649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Nice review

You must not worry about mileage. Mileage is the mind-killer.
Mileage is the little death that brings boredom
sid3091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 12:00   #4650
BHPian

My Compass Diesel S 4x4 is a year and 6 months in now and has clocked around 15k kms. The car has been relatively trouble free apart for a few niggles that were there from day 1. There is an annoying squeak coming from the center a/c vent/touch screen housing when it flexes especially when it is heated in the sun. No other rattles or squeaks from anywhere.
Sometimes randomly the Autohold failure indicator lights up. Also the Auto Start-Stop not ready message due to driver seatbelt unbuckled pops up while driving. Not sure if these are related, seems more of a software glitch than anything. I am deciding to ignore it for the time being.

Tore one of the stock Bridgestones on a sharp stone so decided to get all four shoes upgraded to 235/55 R18. Michelin was the top contender on my list but I was swayed by a new brand Vredestein which was 4k cheaper per tyre. The model is Ultrac Vorti-i. For now I think this tyre is quite close to Michelin in terms of comfort and noise but it remains to be seen over a longer period. An emergency stop done to avoid an old lady crossing the road on the other side of a blind bend was quite confidence inspiring. For a moment I thought the rear would step out and end up pointing the other way but the vehicle responded exactly to what I was feeding it and it stopped quite short on the opposite lane that was empty at the moment. I think the swerve was unnecessary, it would have stopped short of the lady anyway but did not want to take a risk as the roads were wet. The car or the tyre? Possibly both. This is an SUV with an identity crisis in a good way. It handles more like a heavy hatchback.

Mileage is still an issue but there is a small improvement with the new tyres. But this could be because I am running higher pressure than the Bridgestones which used to feel rock hard. These ones don't. Moreover trying to extract mileage on this car doesn't work. Drive spiritedly and it does tend to return a better FE.

The next mod coming up is an A-pedal enhancer box like Ultimate 9. This should make up for the lack of drive modes and help with the dull response that diesel ZF combo has. Still figuring out the players in this market as this needs to be a reliable unit. Had been thinking seriously about a Mopar dashcam but the lack of a parking mode is a turn off. As I have access to the UK market something like FitcamX is what is what I am looking at now.
alphahere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks