Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2024, 20:58   #4606
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark7426 View Post
Hello everyone,

Completed one year with my Jeep compass Petrol AT last month. Is it a battery issue? Otherwise there’s no problem in starting my car the usual way and the voltage also reads within normal limit. Has anyone else experienced this?
Hi,

As mentioned your car is a year old. It is better to get the battery checked and if there is any issue, you can get the battery replaced under warranty as JEEP provides 2YRS/40K kms of replacement warranty. If the battery is unchecked during the service there are high chances of the car giving up abruptly sometime later (I hope I do not intend to scare you here it is just an highlight). I have been associated with JEEP aftersales close to 3 years now and have seen many such cases.

With regards to power lag until the car in inspected physically, commenting over it is not the right thing IMHO.
sameerpatel90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 21:41   #4607

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpatel90 View Post
Hi,

As mentioned your car is a year old. It is better to get the battery checked and if there is any issue, you can get the battery replaced under warranty as JEEP provides 2YRS/40K kms of replacement warranty. If the battery is unchecked during the service there are high chances of the car giving up abruptly sometime later (I hope I do not intend to scare you here it is just an highlight). I have been associated with JEEP aftersales close to 3 years now and have seen many such cases.

With regards to power lag until the car in inspected physically, commenting over it is not the right thing IMHO.
Hi Sameer,

Thank you for the insight.

Just to clear, the loss of power and engine dying is only during auto start after an auto stop. Otherwise there is absolutely no loss of power.

If battery was losing its potential, will the car function normally and only auto start stop will be affected? It starts normally everyday multiple times through push start button but fails with auto start stop.
Old 7th May 2024, 12:46   #4608
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sameer,

If battery was losing its potential, will the car function normally and only auto start stop will be affected? It starts normally everyday multiple times through push start button but fails with auto start stop.
Hello Stark,
Speaking from personal experience, the early symptoms of a weak battery in the Compass can be quite weird. My Compass was giving only occasional EPB error in the beginning, then the start-stop system became non operational, then the EPB error started coming with every crank and then one fine day, the battery died. Even though I had the battery checked at the start of symptoms, the voltage was shown as normal. If I were you, I would double check the battery. Preferably by an authorised battery dealership also, because the mopar people has a habit of ignoring such minor complaints in my experience.
Night Raven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 13:21   #4609
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sameer, If battery was losing its potential, will the car function normally and only auto start stop will be affected? It starts normally everyday multiple times through push start button but fails with auto start stop.
The symptoms are vague and varies vehicle to vehicle. Following are the procedures to check the battery health.

Preliminary;
1. Battery test - using testing tool (If we have Recharge & Retest)
a). Specific gravity check - this helps in understanding the health of each cells (only if the battery is flooded battery and not maintenance free)
b.). Recharge & Retest - Following this procedure can give a picture clarity whether the battery will survive or die soon.

2. If the test report says BAD CELL or MARGINAL - this signifies its dead.

Please note - if your vehicle has AGM Battery (Exide) better to get it replaced with DIN74 (EFB) this is done under warranty itself.

Any assistance desired please feel free to connect over WhatsApp (+918238007713)
sameerpatel90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 19:04   #4610

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpatel90 View Post
The symptoms are vague and varies vehicle to vehicle. Following are the procedures to check the battery health.

Preliminary;
1. Battery test - using testing tool (If we have Recharge & Retest)
a). Specific gravity check - this helps in understanding the health of each cells (only if the battery is flooded battery and not maintenance free)
b.). Recharge & Retest - Following this procedure can give a picture clarity whether the battery will survive or die soon.

2. If the test report says BAD CELL or MARGINAL - this signifies its dead.

Please note - if your vehicle has AGM Battery (Exide) better to get it replaced with DIN74 (EFB) this is done under warranty itself.

Any assistance desired please feel free to connect over WhatsApp (+918238007713)

Can this happen to one year old car battery with just 10k on the odo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
Hello Stark,
Speaking from personal experience, the early symptoms of a weak battery in the Compass can be quite weird. My Compass was giving only occasional EPB error in the beginning, then the start-stop system became non operational, then the EPB error started coming with every crank and then one fine day, the battery died. Even though I had the battery checked at the start of symptoms, the voltage was shown as normal. If I were you, I would double check the battery. Preferably by an authorised battery dealership also, because the mopar people has a habit of ignoring such minor complaints in my experience.
Hello Night Raven,

That’s helpful. How old was the battery and the odo reading when these minor symptoms started?

Last edited by Sheel : 8th May 2024 at 09:23. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Old 7th May 2024, 23:16   #4611
BHPian

Quote:
Can this happen to one year old car battery with just 10k on the odo?
It may happen, as the batch of the battery is one factor that needs to be examined. As frequent start stop consumes more power of the battery. Additionally, how frequent the car is used needs to be understood.

If you have any queries, I welcome your response to my contact number.
sameerpatel90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 12:29   #4612
BHPian

Quote:
How old was the battery and the odo reading when these minor symptoms started?
It was sometime back so I don’t remember exactly. I think the first EPB error happened on a particularly rainy day when the car was parked outside. It was probably around 25000kms and 18-19months old at that time. Then there were no issues for weeks before I noticed the start-stop system not kicking in like usual. When the battery finally died the car was 23 months old and had done about 33000kms.
Night Raven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 14:35   #4613
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sameer,

Just to clear, the loss of power and engine dying is only during auto start after an auto stop. Otherwise there is absolutely no loss of power.

Has started happening recently with me. However, what I have seen is, that it happens when there are multiple start stops which happen in close succession, such as in city driving. My hypothesis is that multiple start stops do not permit the battery to get charged properly thus causing this issue. Otherwise the battery is fine. Even if not happening with frequent start stops, it could just mean the battery is not getting enough time to get charged. Try turning start stop off for a few days and then observe if you still get the issue. Ideally this is a software issue as the start stop should not get triggerred unless there is sufficient charge, but appears to be the edge case when the charge is just about sufficient to trigger a stop but struggles to start the vehicle.
Quoter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 20:19   #4614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoter View Post
Has started happening recently with me. However, what I have seen is, that it happens when there are multiple start stops which happen in close succession, such as in city driving. My hypothesis is that multiple start stops do not permit the battery to get charged properly thus causing this issue. Otherwise the battery is fine. Even if not happening with frequent start stops, it could just mean the battery is not getting enough time to get charged. Try turning start stop off for a few days and then observe if you still get the issue. Ideally this is a software issue as the start stop should not get triggerred unless there is sufficient charge, but appears to be the edge case when the charge is just about sufficient to trigger a stop but struggles to start the vehicle.
Yes, so my battery health turned out to be 100 percent. I have noticed, when the car has done some day runs the start stop works fine. It’s only when the car has been standing all day and I run at night, the start stop begins to stall. Strange that car cant decide if the voltage is low shouldn’t fire up the start stop. It just struggles.
Old 16th May 2024, 20:40   #4615

So, an update regarding tyres.

I had noticed a small bump on my front right tyre on the side wall a few months back. It wasn’t very appreciable to the naked eyes unless I really looked for it but I could feel it if I ran my hands over it. This was around 8k Kms on odo and 10 months into the ownership.

Over time, and 2k more on ODO, it became a bit more prominent and with a long trip coming up, I decided to show it to the service centre and claim warranty for manufacturing defect. The tyre had never been punctured and I had done only city and expressway runs.

The service centre in Varanasi, filed for warranty claim to bridgestone. After a week of waiting, the so called expert auditor came to inspect the tyre. After 3 days I just a message on my number saying the claim has been rejected and no replacement or compensation would be given. I tried contacting the auditor but he didn’t respond. Although I knew nothing much could be achieved by calling him.

Later the service centre manager shared the claim report pictures of which, and the photos of tyres I am attaching here.

I need advice from fellow jeepers, with a long Varanasi to Spiti trip coming up in june, should I just replace the tyre. And if so, should I still go ahead with the bridgestone turanza, considering the kind of response I got from them for claiming warranty for which essentially looked like a manufacturing defect?
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_2600.png  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_2599.png  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_2598.png  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_2597.png  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_2596.jpeg  

Old 17th May 2024, 12:42   #4616
BHPian

Quote:
Strange that car cant decide if the voltage is low shouldn’t fire up the start stop. It just struggles.
The Start/Stop function has specific criteria, including the ECM calculating the SOC (state of charge). If the SOC is below 70%, the function will not operate. Please refer to page 126 of the attached user manual for detailed operational criteria.

Quote:
So, an update regarding tyres.
Here are my suggestions regarding the tire situation:

1. **Goodwill Warranty**: Try to obtain a goodwill warranty from the manufacturer to help reduce the cost of a new tire.
2. **Sidewall Bulging**: Sidewall bulging is unpredictable and dangerous. If the bulge is small (less than 2 cm), the tire can be used temporarily. Place this tire on the rear left (RR LH) side so that, if it bursts, the vehicle can still be maneuvered to a safe place.
3. **Sidewall Patching**: Another option is sidewall patching the affected area. Again, ensure the patched tire is placed as mentioned above.
4. **Premium Tires**: If you primarily drive on good roads, consider opting for premium tire brands such as Continental or Michelin.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jeep-Compass-OM-24.pdf (4.06 MB, 85 views)
Old 19th May 2024, 22:08   #4617

Hi All,

Had a question for Jeep owners, I recently got a Jeep Compass and have not been able to find how to change the settings on the UConnect system for a right hand drive mode. Issue is while using Apple Carplay, all the icons are away from the driving position. I had changed the settings in my older vehicle using infotainment settings, but not able to find how to do that here.
Old 21st May 2024, 20:10   #4618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
Hello Stark,
Speaking from personal experience, the early symptoms of a weak battery in the Compass can be quite weird. My Compass was giving only occasional EPB error in the beginning, then the start-stop system became non operational, then the EPB error started coming with every crank and then one fine day, the battery died.
I was looking to buy a used JC the newer facelifted model. The petrol version AT starts around 16-19. What are the issues I should lookout for/ expect during my ownership. I plan to use the car for further 3-4 years across India so I would expect it to not leave me stranded. Do share your opinions.
Old 22nd May 2024, 11:27   #4619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theP1Fanatic View Post

My Estimate for the 3rd Service

Comparative Analysis: To highlight the absurdity of the price hike, I used a fellow BHPian 's bill from July 2023 as a reference. The discrepancy between bills from just a year apart is staggering. Our car required extra procedures for cleaning the brakes due to a squealing noise, which incurred additional charges which is understandable but the stark difference in pricing in a year is very alarming.

Link to BHPian ArjunKrish's bill for the 3rd service: https://www.team-bhp.com/sites/defau...3-09/6_15.jpeg

https://www.team-bhp.com/sites/defau...3-09/7_13.jpeg
Other than the lathe charges for skimming the rotors, which by themselves amount to 8-9k approx with GST, everything else is as expected. Skimming the rotors is not needed unless there is steering wheel shudder while braking. I guess given the steep labour, you will be better off replacing the rotors themselves, which will be of full thickness.

Also, FYI, Trailhawk always has higher service costs than standard Compass variants. Please refer attached picture for the same. Additionally for a vehicle costing 40-45 L, 20-30k annual maintenance costs seem to be the basic norm these days.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-72010fa0188544e799c4a59580656b0f.jpeg
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 11:45   #4620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity987 View Post
Hi All,

Had a question for Jeep owners, I recently got a Jeep Compass and have not been able to find how to change the settings on the UConnect system for a right hand drive mode. Issue is while using Apple Carplay, all the icons are away from the driving position. I had changed the settings in my older vehicle using infotainment settings, but not able to find how to do that here.
Please check the attached user manual Page 9. It is simple and easy to do it also, if time permits to check this for other information relating to UConnect.

Sharing along is the link for downloading the manual for your kind reference.
https://www.jeep-india.com/uconnect-user-guide.html
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-uconnect.jpg  

sameerpatel90 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks