Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2024, 00:30   #4561
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

[ATTACH=GST Service Proforma Invoice - 2024-03-11T160227.139.PDF]2584308[/ATTACH]

Attached my last service bill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GST Service Proforma Invoice - 2024-03-11T160227.139.PDF (31.0 KB, 110 views)
AW1972 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 13:10   #4562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Here is something to think about

- This is demo car, so whatever the sales guy says, it is still a car which might have been driven and abused all these months since 2022. For all practical purpose, consider it a used car which has been handled by unknown drivers. Now the question is would you trust this car which has unknown history? There's a reason why they still couldn't find a buyer yet with all that discount.

- You also need to dig deeper into service history. Has it been serviced regularly as per schedule? Any accidents?

- What about warranty? Will you get same warranty terms/condition and coverage for this car similar to new car? If not, what is going to be warranty coverage and are you comfortable with that?

- Last but not the least - - Would you be first owner?

Jeep is not known for reliability so I would say that you need to be fully convinced about this car and definitely can't consider this is as a new car. Discount has to account for all the points I mentioned.
Sorry for the confusion. This is a "Showroom Display" car, and not a "Test Drive" car. So it has been on display at various locations and promotion stalls. I am not sure about how much it has run, but should be very minimal.

And yes the standard warranty will be applicable, and I would be the first owner.

But again the point to ponder - why was this car not sold for more than a year! Is there something else the sales guy is holding back! I guess this alone is good enough for me to step back!
Old 21st March 2024, 12:21   #4563
BHPian

Experience of 4th Service of my Jeep Compass at 48122 kms

It's an interesting thread, being a JC owner for last 4 years, I would like to share my experience of recent servicing done on my JC. Having boasted about the professional approach during the purchase of my JC in 2019, It was only prudent on my side to pen my experience. I have tried to keep it unbiased and leave upto the forum to be the best judge.

The Jeep dealership changed hands in Goa in June 2023 if I remember correctly. Goa was without any Jeep dealership & SC for 6 - 7 months. The owners had to travel 150kms + to the nearest SC for service. With the new dealership & SC coming in, it was a great relief and moreover I feel lucky to have the SC adjacent to my workplace.

The 4th servicing was due and hence sort an appointment for servicing with ODO at 48K approx. Was promptly provided appointment on the 7th Feb.

My car’s 1st Visit to SC
Reached the SC on time. They had only 2 SE’s attending the customers. May be not many vehicles coming in for servicing. I waited for the SE assigned to me to complete his previous customer. From the conversation that was taking place between them, clearly the customer wasn’t happy about something. Once he was done with, I requested for the following work required to be done on my car.
1) Normal servicing 60K (4th service)
2) Squeaking sound while in motion. Probably from the bonnet. Felt like to metal parts rubbing against each other.
3) Headlight alignment.
4) Wheel balancing and alignment.

We then took a test drive to check out on the squeaking sound. I pointed out squeaking sound and the SE says he has heard it and would ask the technician to address it.

I get a call at 2.00 pm from the SE that servicing is almost done. I am told by the SE that the sound is due to worn out brake pads and rotor and needs replacement. Total cost 18k. I told him that the sound is heard when the car is in motion and not while I am applying brakes which I had clearly made him hear during the test drive of my car. Told him I would get replacement of brake pads & rotor done later.

At 4.00 pm I give a call to know if the car is ready. I am told it is and I tell the SE to keep the service bill ready so that I can pay and leave immediately.

I reached the SC at 6.00 pm and to my surprise the car wasn’t ready. The SE was busy handling the same disgruntled customer. Had a short discussion with the customer and understand that he was in the SC throughout the day and had travelled more that 50kms and wasn’t happy with the way his concerns were handled.

Waited patiently until 7.15 pm when the car and bill was handed over to me.
1) The wheel alignment was not done. (Charged Rs.2,514/-)
2) Headlight alignment was not done.
3) Car was not cleaned. (Charged Rs.760/-)
4) The squeaking sound not addressed.

I was handed over a bill of Rs.24,000/-. (Rs.16,000/- parts & consumables and Rs.8,000/- labor). Was told that the car would be collected next day from my workplace for completion of remainder of the work. Then I was handed over a feedback form which I filled up giving an overall 7 points out of 10 and suggested for timely readiness and delivery of the car in the feedback form.

My car’s 2nd visit to SC
The next day on the 8th Feb there is no communication from the SE until 10.00 am. I myself gave a call reminding the SE about the pending works on my car. The car was picked up at 10.30 am from my workplace. Told the SC that I needed the car by 12.00 noon as I had to leave for a pre-scheduled meeting.

The car is not returned until 1.30 pm. My visit to the pre-scheduled meeting had gone for a toss. The car is returned. The cleaning of the car, headlight alignment and wheel alignment were done, however the squeaking sound persisted and was not addressed. Since I had to travel, I could not follow-up on the issue.

On the 23rd Feb I got a call from the SC dealer relationship desk seeking my feedback on the servicing done. I explained the above unresolved concern and spoke for almost 10 mins. I was assured that the squeaking sound issue would be resolved and I was requested to provide 9 points out of 10 on the online feedback form from Jeep. Though I was a bit disappointed, I thought to myself being a new dealer and with limited staff it would take time for them to streamline the processes.

My car’s 3rd visit to the SC
My car was then called in on 27th Feb for repairs to the squeaking sound. Took the car there and all the while the squeaking sound persisted. The moment the car was given to the SE for a test drive no sound at all. However, the SE assured me that he is aware of the sound and would ask the technicians to address the same. At 4.00 pm I give call to the SE and he does not bother to respond. I call the SC desk and am told that the concerned technician has already left for the day and the one who is now attending to my car will give me call. I get a call at 4.30 pm and the SE gives me the same reasoning that the sound is due to worn out brake pad and rotor. It meant that the SC had not attended to my car all this while at all.

I lost my cool, gave earful to the SE and told him that it is not because of the brake pad and rotor and that the sound is continuous while car is in motion. I call the SC desk and blast her saying they have pathetic and incapable SE’s and technicians. I rush to the SC that very moment. By the time the whole SC team is at my car peeping into bonnet and inspecting the car. I request the technician to get into that car and test drive it. Guess what……..! there is pin drop silence throughout the test drive of 15 mins not a sound. I told them I would record the sound as soon as it reoccurs and share the same.

The moment I drive out of the SC the sound appears again. All the while, the car being used that evening, the sound is heard. I immediately recorded it on my mobile. Next morning, I share it with the technician and he assures that my car will be taken up for repairs. (I am not able to upload the video recording here) For two days, no one bothers to call. On 29th evening I message and call the SC desk and escalate the same it to the GM service as well.

My car’s 4th visit to the SC
The SC desk provides me appointment on the 4th March. Promptly handover the car to the SE. That evening I am told that there was some lose screw of front suspension plate and the same was tightened and now there was no sound. They had tested the car extensively and handed me the keys.

As I am out of the SC and the sound reoccurs. The squeaking sound persists and now I have no more patience to take my car to SC again. Having kept my car for 4 days at different occasions there seems to be no solution with the SC. On the 9th March I get a message from the SE enquiring if the sound could be heard. I affirm him the same expecting them to pick up my car for inspection. But no response. Then 16th March I get a message and call from SC desk and I inform that the issue is not resolved. On 20th March I get a call from CR for feedback and I am shocked to hear that the SE has informed that the issue is resolved. I send the CR the recording of the squeaking sound and to date over a period of more than a month, I await the resolution of the same.

From the above experience I can summarize the following;
1) Staff is very courteous with customers at the SC.
2) I was informed that the cost of spare parts/ servicing have increased and however the cost seems reasonable.
3) Process and procedures followed – Needs big improvement. Servicing leaves a lot to be desired.
4) Technical know how/ expertise – Overall experience they did not impress me much. Very limited staff.
5) Just because I am in the neighborhood, I managed to take the car to the SC these many times. Alas, without resolution to my concern to date.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Adobe Scan 21 Mar 2024.pdf (219.5 KB, 70 views)
kaps1311 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 00:03   #4564
BHPian

Jeep Compass : Clutch issue and power loss

Hi friends,

I own a Jeep Compass Diesel BS-VI Variant (Night Eagle edition) which I purchased in Sept-2023. From the very initial driving experience, I felt that the pick-up/acceleration in 1st gear was very low. The vehicle managed to attain momentum from the 2nd gear onwards. I also observed that the car responded very slowly to accelerator input when cruising in 6th gear (even at speeds above 80-90 km/hour). It used to be very sluggish in acceleration at those speeds in 6th gear. Another abnormal observation was that when cruising at say ~25 km/hour in 3rd gear or ~40 km/hour in 4th gear, many times I felt sudden momentary power loss in the car when trying to accelerate further.

I assumed that the performance of the car is compromised due to the BS-VI upgradation with the DPF which other users/auto reviewers also expressed. I also found that the free play in the clutch pedal is on a higher side. I had to lift the clutch pedal almost half way by nearly 2 inches for the power to be felt on the wheels. For this reason I found it very difficult to manage the vehicle on slow traffic over inclines/slopes. It used to roll back most of the times. Even though the hill hold function was activated and functional, it works only when the vehicle is completely stopped by applying brakes.

Almost after 2 months/3000 kms, I was taking the vehicle out from a downward sloping parking lot. Before I could move the car in reverse out of the parking, the car rolled down forward and collided with a concrete slab in front. The bottom of the bumper and the glossy black cladding on it got damaged.

I have completed more than 5000 kms on the vehicle, but still could not get used to the longer free play in clutch. The car I previously owned was a Honda Jazz 1.2 Petrol. Presently I also own a Skoda Octavia 1.8 Petrol (TSI). I assumed again that the abnormal experiences I had with the Compass were because I was new to a car with heavy diesel engine and those could be part of the "raw character" of the Compass.

I have taken the car for the 5000 kms/6 months service to the service centre this month and explained all these issues faced to the service advisor. The service advisor was very responsive and he assured me a thorough inspection. After taking a test drive, he also felt the same experience of sluggish response in 1st gear and longer free play in clutch. Upon inspecting, they found that the clutch disc is worn out. They said that the clutch has been slipping and the power loss is due to that. Also since the clutch disc wear is considered to be associated normally with usage pattern, it won't be usually covered under warranty. However they felt themselves clutch disc wear to be very abnormal with a short usage of only 5000 kms. I felt that the Jeep Dealer cheated me by supplying a defective/used vehicle. The service centre moved a case to Jeep Service Head for replacement under warranty of the clutch set and after very strong persuasion and efforts by the service advisor and service manager it finally got approved for replacement under warranty (the clutch set was costing ~ Rs.27000/-).

I have also asked them to replace the damaged bottom bumper and the glossy black cladding. I did not opt for insurance as I could not leave the car at the service centre for more than 2 days for the inspection and processing and also as per what the service advisor informed me earlier, the part cost was ~ Rs.4000/-. They replaced both the parts, however it costed me ~Rs.14000/-. They said the earlier quote was given by mistake.

Regarding the major issue, the service centre replaced the clutch set with a new once and after the test drive they told me that the initial pick-up and power loss issue is resolved. By the time I got delivery of the vehicle it was nearly 7.30 PM and I had to return to my place the same day which was far (300 kms). I took a short drive and found noticeable improvement in the initial pick. I felt satisfied with the improvement, took delivery of the vehicle and drove back home.

After driving around for some distance, I found that the performance of the car has improved significantly and the 6th gear which was very sluggish earlier showed some major improvement. However I found that the free play in clutch pedal is still very long as earlier (~2 inches). Now I suspect whether the longer free play in clutch which was there from day-1 of taking initial delivery from dealership is a reason for the wearing out of clutch disc!!

The longer free play in clutch pedal is still making it difficult for handling the car on slow moving traffic on inclines. Now I also believe that the bumper damage incident was caused by the longer free play in clutch.

Could the longer free play in clutch be a reason for the clutch slipping and power loss?

Is the clutch play of ~ 2 inches a normal range?

Do I need to immediately address the issue of longer free play in clutch to avoid clutch disc wear and rolling back/forward concerns.

I request suggestions/advice on this issue from Compass users in the forum.

Thanks and Regards,

Sumesh

Last edited by Sumesh_Jazz : 24th March 2024 at 00:11.
Old 25th March 2024, 00:31   #4565
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Clutch issue and power loss

Based on your description of the clutch pedal play, if you notice that the pedal lifts slightly after being depressed, it indicates wear in the clutch pedal bush and its associated spring. It's advisable to have these components replaced promptly. You can raise this issue with the service team, highlighting it as a continuation of a previously reported concern rather than a new one.

If you need any assistance, feel free to direct message me or reach out via WhatsApp at (+91 8238007713). I'm here to help address your JEEP's issues and provide the best solutions possible as a professional in the industry.
sameerpatel90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 00:43   #4566
BHPian

Re: Experience of 4th Service of my Jeep Compass at 48122 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaps1311 View Post

5) Just because I am in the neighborhood, I managed to take the car to the SC these many times. Alas, without resolution to my concern to date.
Please share your recording concern with me either via direct message or through WhatsApp at +918238007713. As the aftersales head for one of the Jeep Dealerships, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to understand your ongoing issue by discussing it further.

Awaiting your revert at the earliest convenience.
sameerpatel90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 09:23   #4567
BHPian

Re: Experience of 4th Service of my Jeep Compass at 48122 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpatel90 View Post
Please share your recording concern with me either via direct message or through WhatsApp at +918238007713. As the aftersales head for one of the Jeep Dealerships, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to understand your ongoing issue by discussing it further.

Awaiting your revert at the earliest convenience.
I have shared the recording via watsapp to you... Thank you
kaps1311 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 10:13   #4568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumesh_Jazz View Post
Hi friends, I own a Jeep Compass Diesel BS-VI..

I also observed that the car responded very slowly to accelerator input when cruising in 6th gear (even at speeds above 80-90 km/hour). It used to be very sluggish in acceleration at those speeds in 6th gear. Another abnormal observation was that when cruising at say ~25 km/hour in 3rd gear or ~40 km/hour in 4th gear, many times I felt sudden momentary power loss in the car when trying to accelerate further.
I don't own a diesel but just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if the gears chosen appropriately as per speed. Is 25kmph for 3rd and 40 kmph for 4th gear correct slotting? The reason I'm asking is that I have seen some drivers of diesel vehicles using higher gears at lower speeds and I could feel vibration /apparent loss of power as the transmission was not able to keep up. In fact some drivers avoid first gear and directly use second gear at the start.

May be its to do with diesel engine characteristics but just an observation I wanted to share if this could cause premature clutch / transmission wear.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 25th March 2024 at 10:16.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 10:18   #4569
Distinguished - BHPian

Detailed Service update

I got a major Service done for my Compass @ 1,41,500 Km – Replacement of Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission-Mount, Oil Sump Repair Work, Regular Service (Engine Oil/Filter, Air filter, AC filter, Fuel filter Replacements, Brake cleaning etc).

I have posted the details in my ownership thread,
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5742869
Old 25th March 2024, 10:58   #4570
BHPian

Quote:
I don't own a diesel but just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if the gears chosen appropriately as per speed.
Typically, taxi drivers tend to misuse the gearbox, often overriding the clutch, particularly at lower speeds and with higher gears, as you mentioned. With this engine's dual mass flywheel, although not immediately apparent, eventually vibrations may be felt, necessitating replacement of both the clutch kit and flywheel.

Diesel engines are designed to handle heavy loads effortlessly, thanks to their higher torque. However, this fact is often overlooked or not properly taught to the average driver, resulting in improper driving techniques.

During my time in the dealer network, I encountered numerous customers and their drivers who were not using the clutch correctly, impacting their riding experience. I intervened to educate them on proper clutch operation for a smoother ride.
Old 26th March 2024, 20:58   #4571
BHPian

Second Long Trip in JC

After a trip to Ziro Music Festival Arunachal last year, back from a trip to Taplejung Nepal to trek to Pathivara Shakti Peeth.
My Observations on the JCModel S 4X4 driving at altitude and offroad.

Trip length. 700 kms (All hills)
Total Driving Time 24 hours.
Mileage achieved 8
Loaded with 5 adults and luggage.

Drove a full day to travel from Gangtok to Taplejung. Entered Nepal via Pashupati and it was an uneventful day.

The next day had to do a 10 km muddy slushly track from Suketar to Kaflepati which is considered as a 4*4 territory due to changing road conditions.
The rains night before had made the road full of deep slush and deep ruts and managed to do about 2 kms where I decided its just worth to struggle on HT Tyres and a low hanging front bumper and hired a Mahindra 4x4 Major and completed the remaining 8 kms.

The weakest point of the JC its HT Tyres cost me some time and effort. Althought I didnt need recovery but I would have wanted to fare through it. Came back and met a Bengal registered Thar Crde who was planning to go on HT Tyres. I saw him stranded on my way back.

Tyres - we desperately need ATs on our 18 inchers.

Rest of the journey was wonderful with the JCs superb handling and power. Cleaning the car was another story.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_4301.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_4305.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_4286.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_4304.jpeg  

Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 19:23   #4572
BHPian

Quote:
May be its to do with diesel engine characteristics but just an observation I wanted to share if this could cause premature clutch / transmission wear.
Thank you for sharing your observation. The 40 km/hour in fourth gear which I have mentioned earlier was a typo error. The speed at which I used to experience loss of power in 4th gear was around 50 km/hour (happens when tying to accelerate further from a steady speed of 50 km/hour). The issue was not vibrations, it was a sudden loss of power/total disconnect from engine for a few moments, and then the car picks up the pace.

However the issue almost disappeared after the replacement of the clutch disc.

Thank you.
Old 27th March 2024, 19:52   #4573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpatel90 View Post

If you need any assistance, feel free to direct message me or reach out via WhatsApp at (+91 8238007713). I'm here to help address your JEEP's issues and provide the best solutions possible as a professional in the industry.
Thank you for offering support. It is really great to have support from an experienced professional in this forum.

Regarding what your have mentioned, the clutch does not lift further once totally depressed.

I would like to know whether a free play of ~2 inches (from the bottom when depressing upto the biting point) is a proper range. It becomes difficult to prevent roll back many times on relatively steeper slopes. Although the hill hold function holds the vehicle for 2 seconds, it gets released all of a sudden and the forward movement can be very rapid than what you would want for safely pulling away. I did not find applying the electronic park brake of any use in such situations as disengaging the same would require brake pedal to be pressed. I find the electronic park brake to be a very tricky one. I think a manual hand brake which one can gradually release and engage would have been a better option.
Sumesh_Jazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 21:42   #4574
BHPian

My 3.5 year old Jeep Compass Limited Plus (4x4 Auto) was making some noise last year when we accelerate above 60 kmph. It is a loud growling noise. We sent it to Landmark Jeep in Moti Nagar for inspection and they reported a faulty wheel bearing and replaced it under warranty. The noise was absent after that for more than an year. Now the noise has returned and it is even louder. The SA is now saying that it is a PTU (Power Transmission Unit) issue and has quoted Rs 1,80,000/- estimate to repair. He took more than 2 days to check the same and I suspect he is still not sure if it is actually this problem or something else. My car has done 52000 kms only and mostly driven on highways.

Has someone faced it before and what is the problem?
The estimate received is attached.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-estimate.png  

Old 27th March 2024, 22:19   #4575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajindal View Post
Has someone faced it before and what is the problem?
The estimate received is attached.

Thanks
Is the vehicle still under warranty/Extended Warranty?. If so, you do not need to pay anything. Please connect to me, I will do my utmost to support you within my capabilities.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks