Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2024, 10:37   #4516
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Independent View Post
Hi Altocumulus,

I have a winter trip planned in this weekend to areas with sub-zero temp. Just wanted to understand in general if any specific measure you have taken for your winter trip.
e.g. weather changing engine oil to a thinner one, or draining the washer fluid(to avoid washer pipe/pump going kaput in -ve temp) or anything else?
The only thing we did was add cheap vodka to the windshield washer fluid. Also if you have a BS6 Diesel then refill your DEF before you reach sub zero temperatures. Like I was carrying a 5L can, and refilled it in Kalpa.

During morning starts, try not to crank the engine in the first instance. Let the fuel pump prime and glow plugs heat at least 3-4 times before cranking the engine.

Carry a thin nozzle for filling diesel, because a lot of the pumps have fat nozzles, and that wont fit the compass especially due to the double flap which is there. I was carrying a 20L diesel can, so had a Groz funnel with me which helped in this situation.

Have a great and memorable trip !!
Altocumulus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 11:46   #4517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
The only thing we did was add cheap vodka to the windshield washer fluid.
Thank you for a prompt response.
If i may bug you for a bit more details, at what proportion should we look to add Vodka to washer fluid? Think Compass stores approx 2 litres of washer fluild. Should a 1 bottle(750ml) vodka be sufficient to avoid the fluid getting frozen?

Quote:
Also if you have a BS6 Diesel then refill your DEF before you reach sub zero temperatures. Like I was carrying a 5L can, and refilled it in Kalpa.
Thanks for this. Will keep a reminder for this.

Quote:
Carry a thin nozzle for filling diesel, because a lot of the pumps have fat nozzles, and that wont fit the compass especially due to the double flap which is there. I was carrying a 20L diesel can, so had a Groz funnel with me which helped in this situation.
Think Jeep already provides a nozzle converter, which I see it available beneath that boot board in the spare tyre area. But thank you for reminding this too.
Old 24th January 2024, 17:13   #4518

Congratulations Subramag and wishing long munching drives for u and your jeep. The car is smashing hot and u will love every bit of it, will relish every km you cover in it

Are there any ongoing discounts on jeep compass as of now ?

I plan to buy limited 4*2 automatic if getting some good discounts
My budget is around 25 lacs.
Old 25th January 2024, 16:09   #4519
BHPian

Compass electric to launch in 2026 as per reports below.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...n-india-430473

Not sure why its so late. After Wrangler and Grand Cherokee, they should have electrified Compass first instead of Recon and Wagoneer.
Old 25th January 2024, 18:33   #4520

Jeep Compass 4.5 years ownership honest review.

I am an owner of Jeep Compass 2.0 D. Having driven the Jeep compass for over 4.5 years, here is my honest take on the car.

I will start with the down sides first as most of you out there would have already heard what this baby can do.

1. The fit and finish inside the cabin for a 20 lac plus car is not up to the mark by any standards, especially he doors, the cabin light assembly and the glove compartment. the rattling noise has been there since day 1 and continues to haunt me till date. I would have complained about it for not less than 20 times to the service center in Gurgaon but they were unable to find a permanent fix for it. I finally gave up and decided to not pursue it. This way I keep my sanity coz there is no resolution to this issue. I will live with it till I have the car.
2. The battery does not last more than 14 months. Nobody is sure of the issue but the battery will go kaput between 12 to 14 months. My most recent battery was an Exide battery with 36 months warranty and they replaced it free of cost after the original one went kaput in 12.5 months. This is my 4th battery so far.
3. The 2nd gear has an issue and you will experience lack of torque in second gear. It is a design flaw and there is no fix to it. I have had my clutch assembly and the pressure plate replaced at 96K KM and was hoping that it will eliminate the issue but it didn't change anything.
4. The clutch pedal is very hard compared to other cars. I moved from a Mitsubishi Cedia to Jeep Compass and it was pain-full getting adjusted to the harder clutch. In retrospect, I feel I should have bought an automatic transmission.
5. Approach angle is horrendous for a car that claims to be an SUV. My brothers Maruti Celerio is able to tackle certain terrain better than the Jeep.
6. Spares are hideously expensive. The clutch replacement along with the pressure plate costed me 1lac. An alternator bearing replacement costed me 13K. A regular service costs about 20k and a major service costs about 45K.
7. The headlights are useless (Regular halogen) The throw of the light is inadequate. I do a lot of cross country driving and I struggle every time it's dark.
8. The lug nuts had a tin cover welded onto them which did not allow me to use my OEM lug wrench. I got the tin cover removed by a welder and now the bolts are of size 16 and the wrench is size 17. As a temporary fix I bought a size 16 wrench off amazon. As silly as it may sound, it is true.
9. Steering rack went bad and it costed 1lac to replace. Jeep does not repair it. It's a known issue and yet they continue to loot the customers.
10. A constant noise from the drive terrain that is by design as per the engineers.
11. The gear shifter does not feel as snug as you would like a car in this price point. It is very wobbly.
12. Engine mount C has been replaced twice already.

Now lets move on to what I love about this baby of mine.

1. The driving dynamics are as good as they can be. It's confident at high speeds.
2. Steering feedback is top-notch and goes where you point the steering.
3. No dearth of torque and once the turbo kicks, it's a wild animal.
4. Noise insulation inside the cabin is excellent.
5. The seats are extremely comfortable for long drives.
6. Gets off the block quicker than you can anticipate and deals with high speeds like a boss
7. The music system is excellent
8. Built quality barring the cabin rattling noise is very topnotch.
9. Excellent on turns making it an ideal car for the hills.
10. Hill assist and auto handbrake work well in tandem to make driving effortless on inclines.
11. AC is very effective and is still working after 4.5 years and no repair work so far not even a gas top-up has happened.
12. Seating position and visibility is also good.
13. The materials used in the cabin justify the cost and they have lasted the test of time with negligible signs of wear and tear.
14. Excellent road presence.

I will conclude by saying that though there are a lot of upsides to own a Jeep, there are enough frustrating downsides which if not fixed would mean that I personally will not go for a Jeep product in the near future.

Regards,
Kevin
kevinpaulreddy is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 02:26   #4521
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass 4.5 years ownership honest review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpaulreddy View Post
10. A constant noise from the drive terrain that is by design as per the engineers.
I hear you loud and clear. This is the very reason I choose to avoid all vehicles with a Fiat drivetrain in manual, Fiat or otherwise. This continuous droning noise mostly in higher gears can get very tiring and there is NO solution for it. I had been living with it from 1999 on a Fiat Uno diesel, then on a Vista QJD. Heard this ugly droning on a Fiat Punto as well thankfully not mine.
Fiat should take a page or two out of Maruti/Hyundai books when it comes to transmission refinement. The automatic does not seem to have this noise thank heavens. I would be very upset to have to put up with this on a 40 lakh car.

Last edited by alphahere : 28th January 2024 at 02:28.
Old 30th January 2024, 11:03   #4522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_Jeeper View Post
Hi, it's been more than a year so how are the tyres holding up? Since you are one of the few who have used both Turanza and Ultrac Vorti it would be great if you can share your experience with the forum. Thanks
I totally missed out on this.

The Compass is now running Vreds on all 4. The tyres are very similar to Turanzas with nothing worthwhile separating them. The driving dynamics, comfort, road noise are similar if not same. Both of them are mile munchers and will give you good confidence on highways.

My suggestion will be to go for whichever is readily available or is cheaper.
deltasierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 11:11   #4523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasierra View Post

My suggestion will be to go for whichever is readily available or is cheaper.
Thank you, that's really helpful. I had a feeling they'll be more or less similar.

The good thing about Bridgestone is they have a lot of outlets and are not too difficult to source. I might just stick with Turanzas because of this. Like you said, they're pretty decent tyres and I have had good experience so far.

Hopefully Apollo tyres have also made Vredestein easy to source in smaller towns but I don't have any first hand experience of this.
Old 9th February 2024, 02:30   #4524
BHPian

Got my tyres changed recently. Original Bridgestone lasted for 40k kms. Now changed to Yokohama RV 02. Have driven around 3k kms on them. They are similar to Bridgestone. Nothing - ve about them yet. Cost me 12,700/- each. Went with the same size 225/55r18. There are more options in 235 /55 r18, but the price difference is more than 5k per tyre. For me did not make sense to spend an additional 20k.
Old 11th February 2024, 11:32   #4525

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArjunKrish View Post
Ride and Handling (My favorite part): Some things I say now would be contradictory to what I had said about the Compass's handling in my previous post. As I drive this car more and more, my perceptions and my understanding of how it handles have changed. The Compass has great levels of grip and I have pushed it hard in corners. The only thing to be aware of while going hard in the corners is that you have to be careful with how much you press the accelerator. If the accelerator is pressed a bit too hard, the front tires squeal because of all that torque going to the front wheels which are already at the limit of their grip. The steering could have had a bit more feel, but this is how Electric Power Steering are. The Hydraulic and Electro-Hydraulic ones were soooo good. Sad that we can't have them anymore. I agree that there is a fair bit of body roll because of the high stance and high ground clearance, but the Compass sticks to the line very well. The Jeep Compass handles extremely well for a high riding crossover.
The ride is a bit firm with the tall tire sidewalls on the 17 inch wheels smoothening out some of the harsh edges. The ride has never been uncomfortable or bone-jarring.
A quick and short update on my Jeep Compass Longitude 2.0 MT. I changed the tires on my Compass(225/60 R17) at around 32000 Kms. Got the Yokohama Earth 1. I maintain tire pressures at 33 psi front and 29 psi rear. The recommended tire pressures are 35 psi at the front and 32 psi at the rear. The stock Firestones had worn out more at the center and that makes me really doubt if the tire pressures recommended by Jeep are quite high! After the tire change, I have been noticing that the grip while taking corners at high speeds is a lot better. Now I realize that the Firestones were pathetic and really a let down on such a great handling car. The corners and the speeds at which the Firestones used to squeal for grip, the Yokohamas just go about without any noise at all and I am able to push the car faster through the same corners. I have been enjoying the Compass even more after the change of tires.

Last edited by ampere : 11th February 2024 at 11:46.
ArjunKrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2024, 17:08   #4526
BHPian

my 4x4 diesel is completing 5 years, though driven only 30K kms. Extended warranty also ending this month. I am curious to know this forum's thoughts on continuing the service from Jeep-authorized service centers or finding an external service center for yearly service. Timing belt was changed under warranty recently so I will not have to change that on the 5th yr of service.
Old 13th February 2024, 01:11   #4527
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I own a model S 4x4 Diesel-auto.

Off late, I am getting a bit of knee pain especially after a long journey(recent journey being my trip to Sikkim/Darjeeling from Odisha and back, roughly 2.8k kms covered in 10 days).

Even though I tried to use cruise control on the straight highways as long as possible, but that would not account for more than 25/30 % of the total length as the above mentioned trip involved quite a lot winding ghat-roads/ internal city-roads and someone has to juggle through the A/B pedals to navigate the car effectively through these and that I think has taken a toll on my knee.

Couple of my observations around the driving ergonomics/comfort in Compass-

1. I find compass A-pedal a bit cramped, placed too close to the B-pedal and should have been placed few cms towards right(maybe due to lack of real estate in that footwell area?), due to which knee always stay a bit more bent which otherwise would have been comfortable if stayed less bent/a bit more straight. Even after tweaking the seat/thigh height settings, I simply don't able to achieve the best possible combo to comfort my knees(Mind you i am not that tall and an average height person- around 5'8'')

2. I also think one ought to press the A-pedal a bit too hard to get the car going especially in quick overtakes or to attain highway cruising speed(e.g.90-100) from standstill or sub-10/20kph speeds (thanks to compass's dimwitted throttle response).

Does anyone else observe/feel the same and find the accelerator pedal maybe a bit on harder side for Diesel Compass?

N.B.- In the same road trip, I got a chance to drive a Toyota Fortuner of my cousin(who were also part of the same trip) for a good 100+ kms and surprisingly A-pedal ergonomics were just spot on and have enough rooms for my right leg to be comfortably placed around and also the throttle is quick responsive to the inputs which makes the overall long drives less fatigued/more enjoyable. Just wondering if it's the same case with other bigger(read higher seating position) rides too and if anyone else who has driven/compared SUVs like T-fortuner, Scorpio-N, XUV-700 able to agree on my above observation about Compass.
Old 13th February 2024, 12:16   #4528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am an owner of Jeep Compass 2.0 D. Having driven the Jeep compass for over 4.5 years, here is my honest take on the car.

2. The battery does not last more than 14 months. Nobody is sure of the issue but the battery will go kaput between 12 to 14 months. My most recent battery was an Exide battery with 36 months warranty and they replaced it free of cost after the original one went kaput in 12.5 months. This is my 4th battery so far.
I don't own Compass but my experience with Amaron battery for my cars have been very good. You can try it during next replacement and go for longer duration warrantly options for peace of mind. They have as long as 36+36 months duration warranty which means free replacement in first 36 months and after that pro-rata basis refund upto next 36 months. I found them to last 3-4 years easily.

Did they check for any current leakage while the car is off or any port which stays ON and drains battery if anything stays connected to it (like a dashcam).

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 13th February 2024 at 12:19.
Old 13th February 2024, 12:49   #4529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I will conclude by saying that though there are a lot of upsides to own a Jeep, there are enough frustrating downsides which if not fixed would mean that I personally will not go for a Jeep product in the near future.

Regards,
Kevin
I second just about every point you make. Compass ownership has clear ups and downs. As a highway car, nothing comes close. But it does become a bit cumbersome in city traffic. And god knows, maintenance is eye wateringly expensive. Basically, Compass ownership requires access to a good FNG once warranty is over. But on the good side, warranty replacements have been quick and hassle free.

My car has done 62k km. I’ve never had cabin or dashboard rattles. No issues with battery either. The current battery is over 2 years old and is perfectly fine. The hard clutch and low approach angle are standard Compass quirks, we have to live with them. Headlights are an easy upgrade. Lug nut issue was sorted out in the facelift. New design lug nuts are single piece, the stupid cap has been done away with. I have not had problems with steering rack or gear shifts or drivetrain noise. But I’ve always found road noise to be on the higher side, especially at highway speeds. Even after new tires.

My car is currently in the service center for engine mount replacement and for addressing poor pick up and mileage. I’ve also asked for switching to the new lug nuts. Keeping fingers crossed for the final bill amount.
Old 14th February 2024, 15:42   #4530
BHPian

any recommendations on the FNG in Gurgaon / Delhi area? warranty is getting over and looking for a good FNG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks