Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2023, 09:07   #4501
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post

As part of the insurance package they provide a vehicle tracker with a SIM to the customer. They say they will send their technician to install the tracker dongle in the OBD port of the Jeep.

Does anyone else have experience with this device? Basically, doesn't this void warranty?
My OBD scanner already have that dongle which is used to stay connected via the JeepLife app. Wonder how both can be managed in one port, unless there are multiple OBD ports available in the vehicle, which i am unaware of
Mr.Independent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 17:49   #4502

Though this reply is a little late and others have responded. However, my two piece is - I was issued the same battery (EXIDE 70 DIN) for replacement within the warranty period by Tapan Jeep Solan, which meant it was free of cost. But of course, there is no issue with the auto start-stop now. This battery is meant to serve Jeep Compass models.
Old 25th December 2023, 17:56   #4503

I too got my insurance renewed through ICICI Lombard and they too issued me with this dongle. No call came or any engineer visited to fit this dongle so I did it myself as there is a port under the steering towards the right. The App ILAssist was downloaded on the mobile phone and voila, it was working. The activity in the app records all the dates and duration cum distance travelled. No issues. Other members experience is welcome.
Smashing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 18:27   #4504

CRUISE CONTROL - I wanted to bring out a strange phenomenon, which I have observed in my Jeep Compass (Petrol Automatic). Before this vehicle, I was owning HONDA CIVIC 1.8 VMT (manual Petrol) 2010 model and I used to get a decreased mileage while using Cruise Control (it decreased by a KM or two).

However, in Jeep Compass Petrol Automatic, I find that usage of Cruise Control increased my vehicle's mileage exponentially. In my recent ride from Shimla to Bengaluru, I could achieve displayed mileage of 18.3 KMPL, which was mind boggling for a car of this size. This included the patches where the jam / traffic was encountered viz while leaving Shimla and while entering Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Pune and Bengaluru - these are places where Cruise Control was not activated.

And yes, I double checked by doing my maths with the amount of fuel being filled and distance travelled. It was approximately similar to what was being displayed (on the ODOMETER).

Would welcome experience or comments from other members.
Old 26th December 2023, 20:24   #4505
BHPian

Hello Jeepers, seeking recommendations for a new set of 18 inch wheels for my 2020 4X2 Jeep Compass (225-55-18). My usage is mostly on the highways, and some occasional soft trails.

The stock Turanzas are now pretty done with at just under 40K. And I'm not terribly pleased with the performance as they've been very puncture prone.

Please hit me up with recommendations.

Happy Jeeping to you all.

Last edited by fast&curious : 26th December 2023 at 20:25. Reason: Addition
Old 28th December 2023, 13:40   #4506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashing View Post
CRUISE CONTROL - I wanted to bring out a strange phenomenon, which I have observed in my Jeep Compass (Petrol Automatic). Before this vehicle, I was owning HONDA CIVIC 1.8 VMT (manual Petrol) 2010 model and I used to get a decreased mileage while using Cruise Control (it decreased by a KM or two).

However, in Jeep Compass Petrol Automatic, I find that usage of Cruise Control increased my vehicle's mileage exponentially. In my recent ride from Shimla to Bengaluru, I could achieve displayed mileage of 18.3 KMPL, which was mind boggling for a car of this size. This included the patches where the jam / traffic was encountered viz while leaving Shimla and while entering Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Pune and Bengaluru - these are places where Cruise Control was not activated.

And yes, I double checked by doing my maths with the amount of fuel being filled and distance travelled. It was approximately similar to what was being displayed (on the ODOMETER).

Would welcome experience or comments from other members.
I think the Compass petrol auto is hyper sensitive to throttle inputs, and those are minimized while using cruise control. Still - that's an astounding figure! I managed ~17kmpl with cruise control on the Yamuna expressway with the speed set to approx 118 kmph. May I know what you had set the speed to?
sid3091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 13:49   #4507
BHPian

Quote:
CRUISE CONTROL - I wanted to bring out a strange phenomenon, which I have observed in my Jeep Compass (Petrol Automatic).
Was 18.3 for a certain duration/stretch of your journey? Or was it an overall figure for the entire trip?

Mine is a 4x4 9-speed diesel automatic. I always try to gauge Cruise Control(CC) efficiency figures by trying a diff combo of speed/gear(by switching manual triptronic) and then keep checking the instant FE indications in MID. I think in cruising highways I have seen overall figures around 19.

On my last long trip, I was fiddling with CC to find the optimised speed above 90 which can provide the best FE and what i have observed around sub-100 speeds, e.g. 94-97 kmph we see the instant FE indicating acournd 18-20, but strangely this doesn't happen in top gear(9th), instead it stays around 8th gear. If i manually set to 9th gear or increase speed to 98+, then i see a dip in the instant FE displayed in MID hovering around 14-16. Leaves me with an impression that vehicle is kind of reluctant to move to 9th Gear and 8th gear seems to be the one for best FE.

Welcome any thoughts/feedback on the above CC behaviour.
Mr.Independent is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 18:45   #4508

Thank you for your response and you’ve done some detailed analysis - wow. I have Petrol automatic Jeep Compass so there would be some variations from Diesel models.

18.3 KMPL was the overall mileage I got, which means it was more than this figure on some stretches and lesser in others.

Throughout my journey, the authorised speed was 90 -100 KMPH and I never crossed these limits except for on Delhi Bypass (Murthal to Manesar) where the official speed limit was 120 KMPH and I pushed the vehicle at this speed at this stretch.

Lesson learnt is - try using Cruise Control in Jeep Compass as much as possible especially when travelling long distances. Save fuel and money and travel relaxed.
Smashing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 23:32   #4509
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your response and you’ve done some detailed analysis - wow. I have Petrol automatic Jeep Compass so there would be some variations from Diesel models.
I am planning to put up a detailed post with my findings around the same topic. Hopefully soon.

Quote:
Lesson learnt is - try using Cruise Control in Jeep Compass as much as possible especially when travelling long distances. Save fuel and money and travel relaxed.
True for any vehicle. In my other car(Verna 1.6 Diesel manual), i get the best of FE figures while using CC too.
Mr.Independent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 00:37   #4510

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
I think the Compass petrol auto is hyper sensitive to throttle inputs, and those are minimized while using cruise control. Still - that's an astounding figure! I managed ~17kmpl with cruise control on the Yamuna expressway with the speed set to approx 118 kmph. May I know what you had set the speed to?
As posted earlier, I have never crossed 90-100 KMPH because of official speed restrictions (have been challaned many times by those auto traffic cameras in Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh - so once bitten twice shy). However touched 120 KMPH for about 130 KM distance approx on Delhi bypass (official speed limit).

I feel that 90-100 KMPH should give ideal mileage in Petrol Auto versions. However, 17 KMPL too is very good mileage at 118 KMPH.

I have also seen / felt that in my case the cruise control tends to be more harsh on the throttle (more than my style of manual driving) especially when it is made active after an inactivation trigger of small duration or when I tend to increase the speed rapidly by pressing the speed up button on the steering (I do this frequently). When increasing rapidly, all those seated in the vehicle tend to be jerk boosted (pushed back against the seats when turbo kicks in to increase the speed). Thus, as per me, Cruise control speed control or computer controlled throttle input (for increase of speed) is more sensitive or reactive than the manual throttle, which has some delay.

The mileage does tend to fall drastically in cities especially in stop-go traffic. Ask me in Bengaluru where stop-go is a norm. The auto start-stop function does comes to the rescue and is a boon to maintain some kind of decent mileage. Moreover unlike north India, the Gods have been very kind to Bengaluru and areas around, where one can manage a minute or two without AC (when auto start-stop shuts down the engine).
Old 29th December 2023, 22:34   #4511
BHPian

Quote:
the Gods have been very kind to Bengaluru and areas around, where one can manage a minute or two without AC (when auto start-stop shuts down the engine).
The auto stop-start system, starts the engine if the the cabin temperature exceeds the value set in ACC.

Yes, in cooler places, the system doesn't have to force start the engine, unless the driver wants to make a move.
Old 1st January 2024, 15:19   #4512

Sold my Nissan Magnite and bought jeep compass

Happy new year to all.

Last post, I had mentioned about troubles with my Magnite and deciding to sell it, within an year of purchase. And looking at other options.

After trying few options, the final decision was between Honda Elevate (top variant - ZX automatic) and Jeep compass (Base variant - Longitude Diesel automatic).

Here are some of the things that made us stick to these two. Mentioning some of the elements that drove the decision for me.

Location - Chennai

Honda Elevate
-----------------
- Sober smooth drive in ZX auto. (I owned City ivtec from 2009, so knew this engine and gearbox).
- Only interior we liked was the top end.
- Was not happy with drive seat adjustment, but read some of the reviews, where lowering the seat height was helpful.
- Cost of 20L on road was easier on the pocket (than Jeep).
- Was not happy with the amount of plastics in engine bay compared to my 2009 city.
- Reason to consider- interior, known engine, easy on pocket, trust on Honda reliability (all other features did not make difference in decision)
- Issue faced - Blue color in top end availability, inspite of booking in Aug 2023.

Jeep Compass
----------------
- Sturdy vehicle, responsive engine. Fiat sourced engine had good feedback.
- Diesel 4x2 TC auto gear box saved few lacks. (this came only in 2023 and basic entry criteria into Jeep compass automatic diesel territory price point)
- was impressed with the drive. Very different from Honda. (both are different styles of drive).
- Interior was lighter in color. Did not look couped up.
- was 10 lacs more than Honda elevate, but my Merc GLA nearing 7 years, I needed a rugged car which can munch miles...
- Base model (Longitude) was good enough, had all stuff that I needed. The higher model had sunroof, bigger info, full leatherette seats - all I did not need. Probably would miss the additional airbags.
- Reason to consider that made difference - ruggedness, interior, spirited drive (as compared to Honda).
- Issues faced - Silver color in based model availability.

Common issue
-----------------
- The TN tax went up by 5% and the cost of Jeep went up by 1.5L. (So did Honda).

Direction taken
----------------
- We waited close to 2 months - we decided to go with the car that got allocated first. Both cars, we liked, in different ways.

The Jeep compass that came first, after 1.5 months. (Honda could not even tell me how long it would take).

Final checks
--------------
People had warned me about Jeep compass (incl Team-bhp). Verified with 3 people (friends and relatives) who owned Jeep compass - feedback was a great car. All of them enjoyed the car. But if you get into accidents etc, it takes long time for parts and service is not the best.

Opted for 5year warranty and 5 year service pack.

Some options we discarded
--------------------------------
- No Hyundai for me. (some how dislike the brand after three Hyundai in family, 2 owned by me - i20 and Elantra).

- Kia, VW, Skoda came in 23-25 budget, but we felt it was a compromise. For that price, Jeep made a better sense at 5L extra.

- Toyota (or Maruti) hyryder hybrid was ok, but was not to my taste and felt that it lacked power. Toyota showroom in Chennai, did not even bother to give us decent attention. (They had too many customers, losing a few did not matter, I guess). Interestingly, in Toyota, if you have open mind and want to try different segments, you get tossed between salesmen.

Initial drive impression
--------------------------
In the city, jeep compass gave a 9kmph.
In the highway, at a decent steep of 100kmph, I got 18+ kmph. (pls refer snaps). Long drive from Chennai to Pune.

Fingers crossed, hope the experience with Jeep is not bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-pxl_20231202_0702096062.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-pxl_20231225_114904219.jpg  

Subramag is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 15:05   #4513
BHPian

Penning down my short update with the Jeep Compass Longitude (O) Diesel manual (2017 year) variant. Faced the ABS sensor failure issue twice, and had to get the two engine mounts replaced. But other than these two issues, have not had any issues with the car. It still treads like a comfortable cruiser on those nasty roads, has enough grunt to overtake any vehicle, and feels modern enough to not want to upgrade to any other car. Also with the car prices rising so much, the Jeep we got appears to be an investment rather than a depreciating asset.

I recently also bought the Seltos DCT, must say that the sound insulation in Jeep is superlative. Inspite of the Seltos being a petrol engine, I find the cabin experience of the Jeep better. Also, the suspension set up of Jeep is in a different league all together. I very strongly considered upgrading to the petrol automatic Jeep for the city usage but then Seltos to me was a very fine balance between price and features. Compass till today is greatly revered by the members on this forum and appreciated for its subtle style.

I was contemplating saying bye to the Jeep and checked out the vehicles in the 30-35 Lakhs price bracket. There is currently nothing in this price range which would make me want to upgrade to. In fact, all of the options came with their own compromises and/or were inferior products (quality wise). All that the Jeep needs to be is quickly bring in the petrol engine again, and give the Jeep a mid life makeover. Prospective customers ought to feel that the brand is invested enough in the India story and wants to provide the most feature packed product.
SPB_drives is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 15:26   #4514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
would anyone happen to have an update of the possibility of the 4x2 Diesel AT on the Compass?
Now you have it. They heard you
Machalu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 01:10   #4515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Last week completed a long awaited Winter Spiti drive with my Model S 4x4 AT. The vehicle surpassed all expectations.

With night temperatures going down to -19 degrees in Kaza, I was skeptical about the car starting in the morning. Again was pleasantly surprised. Single crank start !!
Hi Altocumulus,

I have a winter trip planned in this weekend to areas with sub-zero temp. Just wanted to understand in general if any specific measure you have taken for your winter trip.
e.g. weather changing engine oil to a thinner one, or draining the washer fluid(to avoid washer pipe/pump going kaput in -ve temp) or anything else?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks