Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2023, 23:07   #4426
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Got this from a whatsapp group. Very creative I would say. Jeep India seems to have something special for Ganesh Chaturthi every year.

Name:  IMG_2316.gif
Views: 1067
Size:  1.86 MB

Last edited by Night Raven : 18th September 2023 at 23:09.
Night Raven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 06:35   #4427
BHPian

Hi All - Would like some advice. I have booked a VW Taigun GT plus DSG variant and waiting for allocation.
I currently drive a Linea Tjet and have always fancied owning a Jeep as a worthy alternative car. Given the exorbitant pricing of the Automatic and the reliability factor (read multiple horror stories of Compass leaving owners stranded in the middle of the road), I didn’t really bother to consider the Compass.
But now given they have introduced 4x2 automatic at reduced pricing there’s a slight temptation to consider.
Wanted to know from recent owners:
- Has the reliability of the vehicle improved in 2023?
- I am based out of Chennai. How’s the dealership/servicing experience in chennai and which is the recommended dealership. I started giving my Linea to an FNG for my servicing past few years.
- Is it still okay to go with a diesel at this juncture given the focus from other manufacturers to stay away from diesel.
- I don’t know if anyone has checked out but how’s the maintenance and mileage costs between Compass and Taigun if I have to consider that. Also does diesel BS6 II engines require any special care?
- How’s the rear space in the Compass compared to the Taigun. Found Taigun to be decent enough with adequate knee room compared to Linea.

Thanks
subrasri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 06:56   #4428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subrasri View Post
You have just echoed my thoughts. Thank you.
I am also based out of Chennai and I am too wary off not only the Compass but also the Taigun.
I am also contemplating Ioniq 5 as the 10 year total ownership cost with the additional benefits of depreciation rates and lower maintenance comes very close to that of a Taigun top end.
Reading the reviews of 4x2 compass from Team Bhp, Autocar and overdrive doesn’t inspire too much.
Let’s wait for the inputs from the owners and experts.
CArspeed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 22:08   #4429
BHPian

I am also based in Chennai. I have a Fiat linea mjd which is at 1.98 lakh kms. I bought a manual Jeep compass Limited in April 2022. Have done 30K kms. Till date no issue. There is only one dealer in Chennai and that is VTK. My service experience has been normal. Only thing I noticed is that every time I visit the service center, you find a new bunch of advisors. My experience with the vehicle has been awesome till date. Once out of warranty, I plan to get the service done outside of the delearship. I have an excellent mechanic who takes care of my Linea. I am sure he will be able to tend to my Jeep later on.
AW1972 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 13:23   #4430
BHPian

23,000 KMs covering ten states/union territories; this is our Jeep Compass ownership experience for the first year. We hope this is informative to others.

The ownership experience is divided into mechanical, focusing on the car and surrounding covering sales, after-sales, service, and the Jeep community.

While I thought we would travel more than the city commute, it has been a pleasant, safe and thrilling experience in our Jeep Compass. My purpose for the thread is to provide first-hand feedback from a first-time car owner, which sometimes contrasts with the other threads/feedback. We are not doubting those with a different experience, and I empathise with them. However, credit should be given where credit is due.

We will start with the surroundings covering sales, after-sales, service, and the Jeep community.

1. Jeep Communities:
Everyone in the Jeep community is respectful, helpful and warm. This is our first car, and I am not sure of other vehicular communities, but we found the Jeep community very welcoming, always providing valuable guidance and helpful. I put this as one of the first positives of owning a Jeep vehicle.

2. Jeep/Landmark sales, after-sales and service centre experiences:
I've been to two service centres of Jeep (landmark group) in Mumbai (Andheri and Turbhe) and Delhi/NCR (Okhla and Gurugram). I have found the experience to be supportive and warm. I find the staff polite and professional, which is helpful guidance. For example, I wanted to change my oil after 10,000 km, but the service advisor checked the viscosity, helped me understand that I didn't need to do it right now and did not add additional cost to my service. I found this honourable, and the effort to explain it to me helpful.

I want to point out a few team members for their service excellence - Michael (Andheri service centre), Shardul, Vijay Dies and Sanjay (Turbhe service centre), Zainul and Anil (Okhla) and Jasbir (Gurugram).

Besides them, Rafik Panjwani, Abhijeet and Azim have been instrumental in our ownership experience.

From a cost perspective, the car has been serviced twice now (in a year plus a few days owing to the KMs run - ~27,000). The total service cost was around 50,000 (barring the optional underbody coatings, etc.) My front brake pads needed to be changed at ~25,000. This could be due to my driving pattern.

3. The Car:
Mechanically, the car (2021, diesel manual, limited [O], white colour) is excellent in all travel conditions, and we have covered Mumbai - Delhi twice now and have taken it for a single run 1000 KM drives without any issues. The stock tyres are good, too. We have had 2 punchers, and the car is functioning fine after their repairs.

I found the first three gears with lower ratios and have stayed within 2.5K RPM except in the sixth gear. The engine isn't punchy, but there is no problem doing highway overtaking or even reaching higher triple-digit speeds. We get 16-17 KM on highway runs and around 12 within the city.

The car functions prudently, and there isn't a time you would find yourself lacking control. We test-drove Tata Harrier, Hyundai Creta, and Skoda Kushaq, and only the Skoda Kushaq came close to the driving experience of the Compass, albeit Kushaq's steering was unusually light.

I advise the compass owner to be a bit weary of the fender below the front bumper, which is for aerodynamics but tends to scrape.

We find value in the cost of the Compass due to its driving dynamics.

From a suggestions point of view, I recommend PPF over ceramic/graphene coatings (we log Llumar with a 7-year anti-yellow warranty), especially for highway runners, as it provides good chipping protection to the pain. I've had PPF save me a couple of times.

Here is a photo of car care solutions I own and use. I do these once every two weeks.
Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230729_132532.jpg

Here are photos of our trips starting with Kankavli, Mumbai - Gurugram runs, Pahalgam (J&K)
Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230804_11280101.jpeg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230923_13012001.jpeg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20220909_1532490101.jpeg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230820_13550101.jpeg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230915_14531801.jpeg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230914_16581601.jpeg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230914_16584601.jpeg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img2022090916433601.jpeg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230827_1637250101.jpeg

In closing thank you to the Jeep community members for their constant guidance and the Jeep/Landmark personnel for keeping our car opertional.

We wish everyone safe, happy and exploratory time ahead

Last edited by parthdmaniar : 23rd September 2023 at 13:29. Reason: rearrange text for fluid readability
parthdmaniar is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 09:48   #4431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArspeed View Post
I am also contemplating Ioniq 5 as the 10 year total ownership cost with the additional benefits of depreciation rates and lower maintenance comes very close to that of a Taigun top end.
In your 10-year ownership cost, are you including the cost of the battery and earning from sale of the car? I’ve read in a few places that the car would need a battery replacement by the 10th year (unless you get a claim in by the 8th year under warranty), and that its used car value would be close to nothing. I’m trying to figure out if an electric car is worth it considering these.
Old 25th September 2023, 13:11   #4432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthdmaniar View Post
[b]

I advise the compass owner to be a bit weary of the fender below the front bumper, which is for aerodynamics but tends to scrape.
I find this a bit inconvenient as well, as this tends to catch on my porch exit on reversing out where I have a rolling gate that is on rails. I am playing with the idea of removing it if possible as it seems to be an extra attachment to the bottom of the bumper fixed with clips. I can't imagine this attachment is included in the advertised GC of the vehicle, my other car which is a 2013 i20 CRDi which has quite a long overhang in front does not have this scraping issue but has lower GC than the Compass.
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 19:27   #4433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthdmaniar View Post
[b]From a cost perspective, the car has been serviced twice now (in a year plus a few days owing to the KMs run - ~27,000). The total service cost was around 50,000 (barring the optional underbody coatings, etc.) My front brake pads needed to be changed at ~25,000. This could be due to my driving pattern.
Short and informative post. If I read the above correctly, you have spent Rs. 50,000 only on servicing for the 1 year and 27K KMs? How much were the front pads for? Congratulations on the Compass and wish you many more miles ahead.
Old 26th September 2023, 13:10   #4434

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Short and informative post. If I read the above correctly, you have spent Rs. 50,000 only on servicing for the 1 year and 27K KMs? How much were the front pads for? Congratulations on the Compass and wish you many more miles ahead.
Even I feel Rs. 50k is a bit high. My Compass MT Diesel is about to complete one year and I have driven it ~18,500 kms. Major expenses (excl. fuel and insurance) for me have been:
  • Service: First service for Rs. 3.8k (primarily underbody coating charges) and second service for Rs. 12.5k (only mandatory items as per FCA, no optional add-ons)
  • DEF from Shell pumps: Rs. 1.5k
  • WA/WB/Rotation at Madhus: Rs. 4.5k

Total: Rs. 22.3k
Old 26th September 2023, 17:47   #4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Do make sure you are using a Leather cleaner on the leather seats.
This products looks like an all-purpose interior cleaner which is not suitable to clean leather.
I agree, this product could actually harm the leather in the long run. Probably a good saddle soap would be better and after that a neutral leather polish. Wipe the seat well after using the polish to avoid staining your clothes
T. Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 00:08   #4436
BHPian

Completed 29000 kms on my Compass last week. The car had developed a few minor issues needing attention. The 3rd service was due by a few 100 kms, so decided to do that as well. I called up my regular SA at Hyson Jeep Kottayam and asked if he was available on the planned date. He confirmed his availability and then got me a call back from their reception. Booked the appointment and dropped the car at 8.00 am. Everything was finished by noon and picked up the car around 4pm.

My concerns:
1. I was getting a random error message on cranking "Service Electronic Parking break". I wanted to check out if all was ok.
2. The start stop system seems to have stopped working.
3. Unusual shaking of the cabin at times during starting, again occurs very randomly.
4. Wanted to check the battery status because I had heard from many that the original battery will usually die by 2 years.

The responses

1. As I had anticipated, they couldn't reproduce the EPB error even after trying many times. I was assured nothing wrong was found with the EPB anyways. Strangely, it came back when I started the car after stopping for tea on the way back
2. The start stop system not functioning was agreed as a sign of aging battery, but their voltage checks on the battery were within normal limits.
3. They couldn't find any problems with any mounts as I suspected. Anyhow the shaking hasn't happened after the service, so I hope it somehow got corrected. In fact the car has become noticeably smoother after the service.

The bill
Paid a total of 19000 INR. Around 8000 out of this was for changing the spark plugs alone which costs a whopping 2000 per piece I really want to know what those are made of. No unwanted services were offered or added except one Perfume card which I didn't mind.
Old 29th September 2023, 17:00   #4437

Quote:
Originally Posted by subrasri View Post
Hi All - Would like some advice. I have booked a VW Taigun GT plus DSG variant and waiting for allocation.
I currently drive a Linea Tjet and have always fancied owning a Jeep as a worthy alternative car. Given the exorbitant pricing of the Automatic and the reliability factor (read multiple horror stories of Compass leaving owners stranded in the middle of the road), I didn’t really bother to consider the Compass.
But now given they have introduced 4x2 automatic at reduced pricing there’s a slight temptation to consider.
- I am based out of Chennai. How’s the dealership/servicing experience in chennai and which is the recommended dealership. I started giving my Linea to an FNG for my servicing past few years.
- Is it still okay to go with a diesel at this juncture given the focus from other manufacturers to stay away from diesel.
- I don’t know if anyone has checked out but how’s the maintenance and mileage costs between Compass and Taigun if I have to consider that. Also does diesel BS6 II engines require any special care?
- How’s the rear space in the Compass compared to the Taigun. Found Taigun to be decent enough with adequate knee room compared to Linea.

Thanks
I was initially torn between the Elevate and Taigun. After test-driving both, I found the Taigun 1.5 GT Plus superior, particularly when driving on slopes.

I've always aspired to own a Compass, but its price and 4×4 feature were hard to justify. Now, even with the launch of the 4×2 automatic, I still can't see it being worth 8L more than the Taigun 1.5 GT Plus (DSG). If I'm considering spending 31 big ones, I might as well opt for the XUV700.

Currently, I'm waiting for the Taigun in Lava Blue to be in stock. This wait is challenging, especially as I keep coming across reviews of the new Compass. Fortunately, none of these reviews have been too impressive, or it would have made my wait even harder.
kns008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 13:56   #4438
BHPian

From one of Friend Jeeper sharing his experience of recent incident happened

Last week I was on road trip in my JC from Mumbai to Nathdwara, Jodhpur, Udaipur and back to Mumbai. During the trip my JC performed extremely well we drive through sand dunes at Osean near Jodhpur and it was an amazing experience.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230929-21.50.49.jpg

While returning from Udaipur to Mumbai on September 22, 2023 just 30kms before Surat my JC stalled and though the engine was running the vehicle was not going ahead, immediately I contacted Jeep Western Wanderers Group Admin to seek his advise and he suggested that there is a problem with the clutch plate and suggested me to contact Vadodara service center of M/s Bhaskara Automation he also provided me with their contact details and the contact detail of one of our Jeep brother Mr. Sandeep from Bharuch who has good relation with Bhaskara Automation.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230929-15.36.58.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230929-15.36.59.jpg

After speaking with both Mr. Sandeep and Mr. Bhavesh of Bhaskara Automation who was very helpful in understanding my situation and suggested me to contact Mopar RSA and arrange for flatbed truck to take the vehicle to Vadodara SC which I did and at around 10pm my JC was sent to SC.
During my discussion with Bhavesh of Bhaskara Automation he promised me that he will attend my vehicle on priority on next day and arrange to repair the damaged clutch plate and flywheel and vehicle will be ready by evening of September 23, 2023 and I can pick up the vehicle at my convenience.

Here I wish share that Bhavesh bhai and the team Bhaskara Automation gave exceptional service they kept me informed at every stage of repairs provided with images of the damaged parts and gave me with the best price of the parts as well as labor charges and as promised the vehicle was ready by 23rd Saturday evening. My driver picked up Jeep on Sunday morning and came back to Mumbai.

I want share my appreciation and thank Mr. Bhavesh and his team at Bhaskara Automation for giving me confidence to deal with the situation. Also a special thanks to Mr. Sandeep for providing best guidance during the entire period of distress.

Last but not the least a big thank you to our Jeep Western Wanderers admin team for extending support as they always does with all the members of JWW.

I can not imagine what I would have done without the support of Jeep brotherhood.
sameerpb is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 08:54   #4439
BHPian

My mistake - a quick fix.

So we were on our maiden road trip on the new vehicle (Model S 4*4) with a 8 month infant from Gangtok to Ziro Arunachal Pradesh and on the first day itself calamity of a small magnitude but of immense importance struck.

A go pro suction mount was mounted on the inside of the sunroof and we closed the sunshade which got entangled in the mount and got ripped off from the pins and to my dismay disappeared behind the sunroof.

I tried to pry the roof cover to see if i can find it and indeed did find it and pulled it back but there was no way i could fix it into its sliding mechanism again.

We were on the road just crossed Siliguri Service Station and the next service station was in Guwahati which is 500 kms away and lil bit out of my intended path to Arunachal.

Decided to inform them and we moved on to Arunachal via Bongaigaon Tejpur leaving behind Guwahati for time being. Decided to detour on the way back.

Temporary jugaad done with Black Chart Paper stuck with 3M Double Sided Tape. We almost forgot that there was no sunshade.

On our way back took an unscheduled stop in Guwahati and after leaving baby and wife in hotel visited the Mahesh Jeep Workshop who were intimated prior.

Major Jeep Workshop for the northeast and also Bhutan i saw vehicles from many states being worked upon there.

At first they were reluctant to take in a dirty car for a wuick fix but when I told I had given them prior information and all they were more than happy to accomodate.

The entire sunroof assembly was removed and the sunshade put back in place. They had informed me that it may or may not be possible without changing some locking pins if it were to be damaged but luck was on my side.

The entire exercise took over 4 hours for 3 people and they charged Rs 3800. Guwahati marred by sudden torrential rainfall and water logged streets took me 6 hours in total to fix it.
Nevertheless the entire experience in the first service station was commendable and they had neatly removed all my luggage in cartoons and kept aside while working on the vehicle. Even offered me a vehicle wash and informed about some non critical recalls to be done which couldn’t be done due to lack of time.

Unfortunately I can find no pictures to post of this entire event so putting up a beautiful Ziro Valley.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_0132.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_0130.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_0047.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_0038.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_0022.jpeg  

Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 22:17   #4440
BHPian

Is it possible to hardwire a dash cam in Jeep Compass? Has anyone done it yet? I'm planning to get a dash cam installed and trying to see if I can avoid internal wiring and using up the only USB port at the front.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th October 2023 at 22:57. Reason: Abbreviation

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks