Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2023, 13:03   #4411
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
This is very nicely executed. Looks good too on the silver colour.

There is a slight difference in execution (cutting) when compared to OEM and that is attributed to the limitation of precutting the decal. I am not listing the point because I dont want you to notice it. What you have got is as close to OEM as possible.

If that could have been addressed then one cant even make out that its not OEM.

I think I know what you are talking about. We could have managed that curve on the windshield side and logo side i guess with the advent of digital cutting but didn’t have a template handy around to make the measurement. Will try to hunt or replicate the curves from a trailhawk someday for a replacement maybe.
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 14:57   #4412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
Will try to hunt or replicate the curves from a trailhawk someday for a replacement maybe.
Maybe you can look for vector file for Jeep Compass Trailhawk hood decal. I Googled for its hood decal vector file and could see the discussions regarding vector file for Adobe illustrator on the first page itself. Getting vector file will give you the exact replica of Trailhawk’s decal.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 15:45   #4413
BHPian

Hi. It's been 15 months and just under 7000km since owning a 2022 petrol manual compass. The 1 year service happened in may 2023. Engine-wise the car had been running without any problems till now.

However since yesterday morning a new problem has started cropping up. I decided to drive the car after getting picked up from the airport early morning. In my absence the car was regularly started every week to keep the battery running. However while driving I noticed the 'service engine' light and indication in the instrument cluster. The car drove just fine. Later in the day when I restarted the car the service engine light was accompanied by 'engine auto start / stop not available' warning. The button to activate the auto start / stop was constantly in 'lit' mode showing a red light.

Today I sent the car for service check up at Sky moto Pune. They connected the laptop to check for error codes and I got 3 different answers from service advisor, and two tecnicicians. They went away on a call to discuss the problem and finally service advisor told me it was a spark plug wiring problem or the PCM. Another tecnicician told me it is a battery issue. The laptop person told me that 'it could be anything from poor petrol quality to something wrong with the engine' and that the auto start/stop warning lights up irrespective of the root cause.

They have said they will 'fix' the issue in 3 days and replace any parts under warranty.

Has anyone else ever experienced such an issue? Apart from these error messages the car is running absolutely fine.

Last edited by argchoff : 1st September 2023 at 15:46.
Old 1st September 2023, 15:54   #4414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
However since yesterday morning a new problem has started cropping up. I decided to drive the car after getting picked up from the airport early morning. In my absence the car was regularly started every week to keep the battery running. However while driving I noticed the 'service engine' light and indication in the instrument cluster. The car drove just fine. Later in the day when I restarted the car the service engine light was accompanied by 'engine auto start / stop not available' warning. The button to activate the auto start / stop was constantly in 'lit' mode showing a red light.
These are most common symptoms of battery issue in Jeep. Other possibility is rats chewing off the wires, since you said car was parked for longer period. Check both
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 14:00   #4415

Hello fellow bhpians! This is my first post on the forum. I had been reading all the advice/information on the forum for the past 13 years since I was in college but got my membership a few months back only after i got my first four wheeler- a pre-owned Jeep Compass, for which I required some much needed advice. I am really indebted to the moderators for approving my membership to this esteemed forum. I hope to be an active member and participate in the discussions.
About me- I am mechanical engineer working with Railways and have experience of handling a Diesel Engine depot/shed with a holding of over 200 diesel and electric locomotives consisting of ALCO, GM and WAG7.
I have much to share about my ownership experience. Will do that in a separate post later.
I would be really grateful if I could be added to the Delhi-NCR Jeep whatsapp group for now.
Thanks
ad47 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 17:03   #4416
BHPian

Dear All,

I own a Jeep Compass 2021, Limited. It has been running well.

Four weeks back - my sun roof suddenly stopped working. It refused to open on the pressing the button. I called the andheri Service station and they have now taken the car twice but have returned saying that they need to replace the motor and have asked Jeep India for the motor to be sent. Apparenty, the motor are allocated as VIN. However, Jeep India apparently has sent wrong motors!!! Since a month my sun roof is not opening and now the serivce station guys have asked me to write to Jeep India on email address.

Any recommendations on what can be the solution?

Thank you
Old 5th September 2023, 01:15   #4417
BHPian

So just got this sms from Jeep since I’m on their list due to a TD I took some time earlier this year

‘SMS Compass: Dear Customer, Few units left to avail benefits on existing GST norms, switch to a legendary Jeep Compass life today. For More: bit.ly/44lLMOh
Team Jeep‘

Now what new GST norms are going to hit us? Is it the 2% cess increase from 20 to 22 that they’re talking about?

Last edited by Evyas : 5th September 2023 at 01:20. Reason: Spelling
Old 7th September 2023, 16:33   #4418
BHPian

Hi all. I was at the Pune service center few days ago and was discussing about 'out of warranty' cars. The service personnel told me that the BS6 compass vehicles cannot be serviced by any 3rd party garages as they will not have access to the service codes which are known to FCA only.

Is there any truth in this or its just the Jeep people trying to discourage customers from servicing their cars from outside?
Old 8th September 2023, 12:03   #4419

Jeep is planning to launch a new model in India on 16th Sep according to jeep’s Twitter account.
Any idea what it could be?
Old 8th September 2023, 13:33   #4420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi_dl View Post
Jeep is planning to launch a new model in India on 16th Sep according to jeep’s Twitter account.
Likely variants of the Compass - potentially petrol and other 4x2 diesel variants
aayusht is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 14:46   #4421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi_dl View Post
The tweet says it's going to be fast and an exclusive offering for India.
I wonder what it could be. An all-new fast petrol powertrain for compass?
Old 8th September 2023, 16:24   #4422
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass to get diesel 2WD automatic, Price announcement on September 16.

- To be sold in 5 trims

- Entire Jeep Compass line-up will get a new grille and alloy wheel designs.

- Some dealers are accepting unofficial bookings for the updated Compass line-up.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 8th September 2023 at 16:28.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 15:42   #4423

Hello everyone,
I wanted to post a quick update on the ownership experience of my Jeep Compass Diesel 4x2 MT purchased in Oct 2021. I had not written about the service experience in my previous posts (link to my previous post https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5459978 (Jeep Compass : Official Review) )and so I have added a few pictures of the bills of the three services that I have done so far.

I have also written about a few unfortunate incidents that had occurred previously.
My Jeep Compass Diesel 4x2 MT Longitude is close to 30000 kms now and the first service was done in Mar 2022 at around 5000 kms. The second was done in Aug 2022 at 14000 kms and the third one was in July 2023 at 28000 kms.
In addition to the scheduled services, I had to go to the Jeep workshop thrice for minor accidents. The first accident was in Apr 2022 where a pebble that had come from a truck at the front had made a small crack on the windshield. It was quite small, and I realized that there was a crack only when I was cleaning the windshield during a driving break. Anyways, the insurance claim and repair did go fine, and I got the car in a week's time.
The second accident happened in Jul 2022. It were some stupid bikers (college students) who were zipping closely past heavy traffic. They were going so fast and so close and one of them lost control and banged on the front left fender and the alloy wheel. The fender was dented, and the alloy had a deep scratch. Luckily the people on the motorcycle did not get hurt. The repair took almost 10 days. Had to wait for the arrival of parts, especially the alloy wheel. Everything was done clean and neat.
The third accident was a nasty one. I was driving back home at night when a dog suddenly came out of nowhere. Just then a lorry had passed me from the opposite direction. The lorry driver didn't care to switch to low beam even after I flashed the lights and while my eyes took a second or two to being able to see in the dark, this dog had come right in the middle of the road. I couldn't veer off to either side fearing deep pits at the left and oncoming traffic at the right. The car rammed on to the dog and I could feel it getting under the front left wheel. I was shocked and startled and pulled over to the left to check what had happened. It was dark and I couldn't find any signs of the dog. I went on to check the front part and to my shock and grief the front left part of the bumper was damaged along with the left fog light and intercooler. I had not turned off the car and I called up a contact at SRT Jeep, Coimbatore to explain the situation and told him that I felt a loss of power. I asked him if it was fine to drive home which was just 5 kms away. He asked me to proceed home and call the RSA. The next morning, the flat-bed tow truck arrived and with a heavy heart, sent the car for another repair. The arrival of parts took a long time. The Intercooler and Radiator were replaced. The Condenser was checked for leaks and seemed to be fine. It took 3 weeks for the car to be repaired and delivered at home. I feel this is a long time considering that the bumpers are something that are prone to damage in the case of an accident, and they should be made available sooner for faster repairs.
Except for the third service, every other service and repair were done at SRT Jeep, Coimbatore. The third service was done at the Jeep dealership, Tru Sai Motors, Salem because SRT Jeep had closed due to some rumored financial issues and that Jeep did not renew their contract with them.
The pictures of the service invoices are for your reference.

I would also like to add on a few more points about some aspects of the Jeep Compass, some of them on which I have seen people complain about.

Air Conditioning: The AC seems to be perfectly fine. I usually set it at 20'C which is perfect for most part of the daytime. During peak summer months, it requires to be set at 19 or 19.5'C for a while and once the cabin cools down, 20'C is good. On not so hot days and during evening or night, 20.5'C to 21.5'C is good. My car does not have a panoramic sunroof and that itself must be helping with not letting too much heat from above while the car is moving.

Cabin space: Most of the time the car has either one or two people and even when there were 4 people, I didn't hear any complaints from the rear passengers for shortage of legroom or headroom. In my opinion, the rear seat is pretty good in terms of space. I fail to understand why people find it to be cramped.

Fuel Efficiency: I usually get between 12 to 13 kmpl in the combined driving cycle. High speed driving on a highway or some spirited driving in the mountains sees the figure drop to 11 or 11.5 kmpl. A relaxed drive on the highway or country roads sees the figure go up to 15-16 kmpl. I have also got up to 19kmpl on some occasions, but I mostly drive the car to enjoy driving it and I am not a sedate driver who bothers a lot about fuel efficiency.

Ride and Handling (My favorite part): Some things I say now would be contradictory to what I had said about the Compass's handling in my previous post. As I drive this car more and more, my perceptions and my understanding of how it handles have changed. The Compass has great levels of grip and I have pushed it hard in corners. The only thing to be aware of while going hard in the corners is that you have to be careful with how much you press the accelerator. If the accelerator is pressed a bit too hard, the front tires squeal because of all that torque going to the front wheels which are already at the limit of their grip. The steering could have had a bit more feel, but this is how Electric Power Steering are. The Hydraulic and Electro-Hydraulic ones were soooo good. Sad that we can't have them anymore. I agree that there is a fair bit of body roll because of the high stance and high ground clearance, but the Compass sticks to the line very well. The Jeep Compass handles extremely well for a high riding crossover.
The ride is a bit firm with the tall tire sidewalls on the 17 inch wheels smoothening out some of the harsh edges. The ride has never been uncomfortable or bone-jarring.

I want to add in some comparisons with the BMW X1 which I got to drive recently. One of my cousins has a 2019 BMW X1 xDrive 20d (2-liter diesel with 400NM of torque) and we took it on some country roads which had a few corners. We went fast. very fast. And no, we did not cause trouble to other road users by driving like that. Later, I also took my Compass on the same road and drove it the same way to find the differences in the way the X1 and Compass handled. The X1 has a light steering too. I felt it to be lighter than the Compass at high speeds, but it was accurate and direct, and the car handled very well, maintained its line perfectly. The car held its line when going fast into corners and when floored in mid corner it accelerated fast without any drama. Thanks to the all-wheel drive. Body roll was very minimal. I was driving it in manual mode and the engine was in sport mode. The gear shifts were so smooth. I did not even feel the torque converter changing gears when I pressed the paddle shifters. The BMW X1 put a wide grin on my face.

Now coming to the Compass... Whatever I am about to say here are my honest observations and not saying this just because I have a Compass.
The Compass's handling is right up there with the X1. The steering is slightly heftier than the X1 at high speeds and lighter than the X1 at lower speeds. I felt as confident in the Jeep Compass as I felt in the BMW X1, in going fast on narrow country roads and while turning in to corners. It held its line very well and when throttled carefully, exited corners without any drama. Except for the slightly higher body roll (probably because of the higher ground clearance), the Compass handled similar to the X1, and I was grinning wide again. And the thought that flashed in my mind during this time was "Why would people spend upwards of 60 lakhs for a BMW or any similar car when cars half their price drive almost identical?" Maybe it is just the aspiration to own a car of a particular brand.

Comments, thoughts, insights are welcome.

Cheers,
Arjun
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-dsc_6517.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-5k-1.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-5k-2.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-15k-1.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-15k-2.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-30k-1.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-30k-2.jpg  

ArjunKrish is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 14:35   #4424
BHPian

Today I got a call from Sky moto Jeep service center in Pune saying that my car has been chosen for a 'campaign' and all work will be done for free. On asking what this campaign is about the lady on the phone told me that it is a software upgrade. This is weird because the car has just come out of the service center 7 days back.

I asked them send me the details regarding this software upgrade in an email. All i got was a vague 'your car is selected for a campaign, kindly book appointment' one liner. The email was sent from the dealer's email addresses, no official Jeep email ID. When asked for explanation, total silence as usual.

Has anyone else got a call from their Jeep dealer about their VINs being selected for any 'campaign'?
Old 17th September 2023, 18:15   #4425
BHPian

I added some extras to my Night Eagle. I got the OEM hood decal online and applying it was a breeze since it was a wet mount. For the roof rail crossbars, I purchased a copy of the original accessory designed specifically for the Compass. It came with all the necessary tools and bolts and was easy to install. I purchased them from 5J Offroad hub in Kochi.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230917_173119.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230917_173127.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230917_173134-1.jpg  

anilntny is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks