Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 14:07   #2776

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

I'm looking to pull the plug on the S line Petrol variant.

Is there anyone here that picked the petrol AT over the diesel 4x4 AT that can give me a slightly medium term review, and your reasoning behind the same?

I still think the petrol drives better than the diesel and everyone else seems to have a differing opinion.
pranavsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 15:11   #2777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Im not sure if you are part of the Jeep FB page, hence cross posting my post from there. hope this helps

"Creating a new post instead of updating my earlier one on the rattles as this may help members here and I dont want this to get lost in the comments in the old post.
The rattles in my compass model S have been resolved (for now!!!) and she is purring along like a kitten.
For all the Facelift owners who are facing rattles, please note the following:
Even though the rattle appears to come from the A pillars or the top of the dashboard, the source of the rattle is NOT there. the culprit is the glove box. There is a screw on the left side of the glovebox close to the body. there is supposed to be sealant and packing applied behind the screw. during manufacturing, if the sealant is not properly applied, the packing becomes loose and the plastic part of the outside of the glove box, close to the firewall, brushes against the metal body and creates a resonance. that resonance travels up the body and causes the rattles.
I got the Jeep guys to make videos of all rectification and they showed me those videos and their resolution.
So if you are facing rattles, please have your SC check this before needless opening up other panels. Hope this is of some help to fellow users.
P.S. the SC was in regular touch with Jeep India and really worked through the night (literally) to solve this as I had told them if this doesnt get resolved by lunchtime today, there will be hell to pay!"
Thanks for the response Himanshu! Glad you shared your post here as I am not on social media. Good to hear you were able to resolve it. For me, the issue is quite clearly with the door lock/unlock handles. It stops once I press the handle ever so lightly. I have captured it in video and sent over to the SC team but somehow they are still not able to fix it. I'm trying to find who from Jeep/FCA I can reach out to for getting this heard at the least. Do share if you have any leads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Please check if there is anything loose in the glovebox.
Hi Sandeep, Yes the glovebox has been emptied as well. Definitely not it.
Manas5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 15:27   #2778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Can anyone confirm as to how is the rear seat of Compass when compared to Ecosport. I thought Compass has about 2 inches more legroom however the width I thought is exactly the same.
Any views on this.
Also haven't heard of anyone taking delivery of Petrol AT variant. I thought the production started in September.
I test drove both cars 4-5 months back and based on spending around 45 minutes on each of them in both the drivers seat and back seat I am giving my views. The back seats of both the cars are comfortable for 2 adults and a child at max. The under thigh support of Jeep is superior and the overall seating position is better. The body roll of Jeep is also less in the rear seat so overall its a better place to sit. But I am not comparing them, as both are not in the same price point. The compass I drove was like 10 L plus expensive than Eco sport. I drove the Ecosport for checking out Fords dynamics and was not planning to buy it. But my partner was for Eco Sport (this was before exit of Ford) as it was cheaper. I have still not purchased and have deferred the purchase by 6 months. The Eco Sport has some offers. The SA called me last week and told me that I can get a good deal if I pay by September. I was not interested and hence did not waste his time.
Old 29th September 2021, 17:23   #2779
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavsh View Post

Is there anyone here that picked the petrol AT over the diesel 4x4 AT that can give me a slightly medium term review, and your reasoning behind the same?

I still think the petrol drives better than the diesel and everyone else seems to have a differing opinion.
I have at least two close contacts who have recently purchased the 4x4 diesel A/T - one purchased the Anniversary edition and one purchased the S variant.

Both could have bought the petrol as well but basically picked the diesel because they preferred the drive of the diesel. FE was only a nominal factor and if the petrol would have been much better to drive they would have picked the petrol.
Old 29th September 2021, 17:36   #2780
BHPian

I was waiting for the sales manager to revert on the availability of the limited Diesel MT with a manufacturing date of post-July 2021.

As there was no response, I called him to know the status. To my surprise, he acted as if he did not remember anything, so I told him that I was coming to meet him as I was near his showroom.

On meeting him, he told that he has a limited MT in black with the month of manufacturing July 2021 and white, if ordered, will come with a manufacturing date of August 2021 as recently he ordered one.

It was good for me, and I said alright, I would pay the booking amount soon and choose a delivery date to do a proper PDI. The sales manager, to my surprise, said

SM: Sir, ‘PDI’? That is something which we dealer do.
Me: Yes, correct, you will do your PDI. However, I will also do the PDI.
SM: No, Sir, the Customer does not do the PDI we do it.
ME : No, I will do the PDI, and it is my right.
SM: Sir, you are the first Customer who has asked for the PDI, and there is no need for it.
ME: Ok, however, I will do PDI before you register the car in my name. This is to check if there is any panel gaps or repaint, or any other issue.
SM: Sir, now you are a Customer, what can I say. Ok, you can do the PDI.
Me: Mr ‘XYZ’, why are you so hesitant !!
SM: Fine, sir you can do PDI.

The dealer has a dealership of Hyundai, MG, Harley, and Fiat, so they are not small. Such a poor or shady response, along with rattling and battery issues, is not very confidence-inspiring.

Can anyone tell me that having a ppf on white colour is good or not? Hear that it may lead to colour turning into pale white or a bit yellowish.

What are your thoughts on Tucson 4x2 when compared to Compass 4x2?
Abhisheksinh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 17:48   #2781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas5 View Post
Thanks for the response Himanshu! Glad you shared your post here as I am not on social media. Good to hear you were able to resolve it. For me, the issue is quite clearly with the door lock/unlock handles. It stops once I press the handle ever so lightly. I have captured it in video and sent over to the SC team but somehow they are still not able to fix it. I'm trying to find who from Jeep/FCA I can reach out to for getting this heard at the least. Do share if you have any leads.

Hi Sandeep, Yes the glovebox has been emptied as well. Definitely not it.
SO while my earlier issue was resolved, a new rattle was come up this time on the driver side door

chasing up with jeep
Old 29th September 2021, 17:50   #2782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I picked the diesel over the petrol for two reasons:

1. Dry clutch DCT- this is a nightmare in our conditions and prone to failure. the diesel comes with a reliable torque convertor.

2. 4X4- a Jeep with 2wd sounds like an oxymoron to me (no offence to the 2WD owners, just IMHO)!
Old 29th September 2021, 18:22   #2783
BHPian

Wanted to know if Jeep DDCT failures have been reported. Haven't seen any reports of failure on this forum. Can anyone throw light on this?
Old 29th September 2021, 19:16   #2784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
Wanted to know if Jeep DDCT failures have been reported. Haven't seen any reports of failure on this forum. Can anyone throw light on this?
Exactly my point and I was going to ask Himanshu. I think 4 years is a long enough time for dual clutch gear box issues to crop up but I have not heard of a single case.

I had a similar negative notion about the petrol AT as well until I drove it recently. One should drive it the way they normally (and usually) drive in the city and not floor it like we usually test drive cars. Once I did that I realised it’s not that bad an engine.

Last edited by Pancham : 29th September 2021 at 19:18.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 20:15   #2785
BHPian

Quote:

Hey, I can tell you about the petrol AT but didn't look at the diesel after the initial test drive. I would suggest looking at the official Team BHP petrol AT review without any comparisons with the Diesel manual. I found it to be quite spot on. The petrol AT is a good city car - gear shifts are fast and smooth, and is great for the highway runs.
The only downside of the petrol AT (Other than FE) is that the gearbox struggles to find the right gear in one specific use case - When you take off your foot from the accelerator while approaching a red light or a stop or a traffic jam and need to accelerate all of a sudden as the light turns green or traffic clears up, the gearbox takes around 2 seconds to move to the correct gear. As long as you are doing a steady acceleration or deceleration (whether gradually or rapidly), the gearbox works perfectly.
Quoter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 21:28   #2786
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@quoter - Just wanted to check how brutal is the fuel efficiency of Petrol AT? Really doubt fuel efficiency alone can justify switch to 4x4 diesel AT..
Old 29th September 2021, 22:27   #2787
BHPian

Quote:

@pranavsh, I am actually in the same boat. Still not able to decide between Model S Petrol DDCT and Limited O Diesel 4x4 ZF9. Here is what I have gathered by stalking this thread for over 6 months:
  • Driving : While everyone loves Diesel MT over Petrol MT. When it comes to AT gearbox, Diesel ZF9 is told to be more sluggish as compared to Petrol DDCT.
  • AT Reliability : DDCT ( or DSG ) are infamous for their breakdown. However, as also mentioned by fellow members, I also have not seen any reports of Jeep Compass Petrol DDCT failure in this forum. I think this DDCT is quite reliable.
  • Mileage : This is one reason why you can opt for Diesel. Petrol would give you somewhere around 6 - 10 in city depending on your driving behaviour. Diesel will surely give more than that. However, if you are considering same variant for both, the extra 3L - 4L for Diesel will only justify if your running is high considering that there isn't much difference between petrol and diesel prices anymore. And mileage also depends on how you drive.
    Also, please note that Diesel engines are slowly getting phased out and are getting banned in some areas after 10yrs duration ( in Delhi NCR area ).
  • 4x4 vs 4x2 : This is one reason why you should opt for Diesel. 4x4 surely gives you an upper hand as compared to 4x2 of Petrol. But, the real question is : How often would you use it?
Old 29th September 2021, 22:42   #2788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
[*]Driving : While everyone loves Diesel MT over Petrol MT. When it comes to AT gearbox, Diesel ZF9 is told to be more sluggish as compared to Petrol DDCT.[*]AT Reliability : DDCT ( or DSG ) are infamous for their breakdown. However, as also mentioned by fellow members, I also have not seen any reports of Jeep Compass Petrol DDCT failure in this forum. I think this DDCT is quite reliable.[*]Mileage : This is one reason why you can opt for Diesel. Petrol would give you somewhere around 6 - 10 in city depending on your driving behaviour. Diesel will surely give more than that. However, if you are considering same variant for both, the extra 3L - 4L for Diesel will only justify if your running is high considering that there isn't much difference between petrol and diesel prices anymore. And mileage also depends on how you drive.[/list]
Thanks for this post. I am on the same boat as you are. I started off with diesel manual but then realised I cannot do without an AT. But I never considered the Petrol AT and 4X4 was was beyond my budget. But now I am reconsidering both the automatics -

1. Petrol AT: With offices opening up, I will soon move back to Gurgaon and my daily commute will be close to 80Kms per day to Connaught Place. I dont think I will be able to afford the petrol AT.

2. Diesel AT: The price is just too high for my wallet. Also, the diesel 4X4 is not very fuel efficient either. People here are getting single digit FE as well.

I am tearing my hair about this for months now. I am doing a back to back test drive on Sunday. Lets see if I can make up my mind.

Last edited by Pancham : 29th September 2021 at 22:44.
Pancham is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 23:21   #2789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Thanks for this post. I am on the same boat as you are. I started off with diesel manual but then realised I cannot do without an AT. But I never considered the Petrol AT and 4X4 was was beyond my budget. But now I am reconsidering both the automatics -

1. Petrol AT: With offices opening up, I will soon move back to Gurgaon and my daily commute will be close to 80Kms per day to Connaught Place. I dont think I will be able to afford the petrol AT.

2. Diesel AT: The price is just too high for my wallet. Also, the diesel 4X4 is not very fuel efficient either. People here are getting single digit FE as well.

I am tearing my hair about this for months now. I am doing a back to back test drive on Sunday. Lets see if I can make up my mind.

There are many people who are stuck in this dilemma, my friend too recently went through this including myself and he picked up the top-of-the-line Diesel model S(O2) even though he was not ready for a budget of 35 alkhs. His requirements were a feature-loaded, Compass diesel auto, but he had no other option than to go for the model S.

Now, this is where Jeep is losing a lot of customers. They need to come up with 4x2 diesel auto in Limited and model S! This will easily add another 3 to 400 units to total monthly sales of the Compass!
Jeep India, are you listening?
Venku2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 23:25   #2790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
There are many people who are stuck in this dilemma, my friend too recently went through this including myself and he picked up the top-of-the-line Diesel model S(O2) even though he was not ready for a budget of 35 alkhs. His requirements were a feature-loaded, Compass diesel auto, but he had no other option than to go for the model S.

Now, this is where Jeep is losing a lot of customers. They need to come up with 4x2 diesel auto in Limited and model S! This will easily add another 3 to 400 units to total monthly sales of the Compass!
Jeep India, are you listening?
From what I have read and understood, a 4x2 diesel automatic is mechanically not possible. So don’t think it if coming ever. Also with no discounts and gradually increasing prices I think it will cross 40L is 2-3 years.

Last edited by Pancham : 29th September 2021 at 23:28.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks