Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 09:53   #2116

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Have a new 3 week old limited plus JC, it comes with HID headlights. One issue am seeing is while light is switched on, immediately I see a bright white light with good intensity( 1 second) and then it dims. Is this behavior expected?

Visibility of HID been very poor, suspect any settings or issue with bulb, thoughts?

Planning to get it checked in service center over the weekend.
Old 7th December 2020, 10:41   #2117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilke View Post
All the Jeep dealers I know have multiple dealerships. They are not dependent on one car company. They are hedging their bets well.
I hope you are not serious? Running a dealership is not a charity for a manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

There is a dealer network and no dealer will just be happy with 400-600 cars per month.
When I said 400-600 per month for the brand it means that across the 67 dealers Jeep has across India each dealer sells 8-10 cars a month.

No matter how many dealerships that owner may have, it makes no business sense to have a loss making one amongst the dealers you have.

The owner will simply drop the brand once it stops making sense for him and move to another brand.

When JEEP started in India 3 years back, the manufacturer would have promised a slew of models like Compass, Renegade etc. Once they see the Manufacturer isn't delivering and sales are dipping below the point where they can't make ti work, they will simply step away unless FCA themselves decide to fund the dealer.

I am not saying that this will be the case but these are all what we have seen with Ford, Tata, Chevrolet, Nissan in the past.

I just hope Jeep can figure something out to sell more cars here.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 7th December 2020 at 10:52.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 10:48   #2118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini83BLR View Post
Have a new 3 week old limited plus JC, it comes with HID headlights. One issue am seeing is while light is switched on, immediately I see a bright white light with good intensity( 1 second) and then it dims. Is this behavior expected?

Visibility of HID been very poor, suspect any settings or issue with bulb, thoughts?

This is perfectly normal for HID lights. The Initial Surge is when the arc ignites using a High voltage 23KV surge. After that the Voltage is brought down gradually to 90V as the Arc can sustain at that voltage. It is perfectly normal for HID lights. The light output stabilizes at the optimum level within 15-30 seconds depending on the HID starting ballast type.

However the stock HIDs on the Jeep Compass are not too bright and the light output is what you see. You can supplement the headlight beam by using your Foglights - the foglights can be made more effective by aiming them a bit higher , then the illumination distance will be farther.

Also, when you go to the service centre, ask the to aim the Headlights properly and also aim the foglights higher. Bad aiming of lights can be problem which leads to bad visibility.

Last edited by Behemoth : 7th December 2020 at 10:55.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 10:51   #2119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One issue am seeing is while light is switched on, immediately I see a bright white light with good intensity( 1 second) and then it dims. Is this behavior expected?

HID on my Ecosport works in exactly the same way and this is normal (very bright on switching on, then dims to a certain extent).

However, I find the performance of the HIDs to be quite good, especially the arc/throw of the beam is much better than the normal projectors on my Honda City.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 10:56   #2120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
I have seen a bit of a bias against the Compass petrol automatic on Team-bhp. Or i think people here have ultra high expectations from the petrol Compass
No, he is not alone. I drove the Compass petrol AT from Mumbai to Lonavala when I went to test drive Trailhawk. I drive a petrol SUV since 13 years and AT cars since 27 years. Still I was very disappointed with the way AT gearbox behaved. I prefer petrol SUVs, but this one won't be in my list. No offense meant.

Last edited by Samurai : 7th December 2020 at 10:59.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 11:20   #2121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
I have seen a bit of a bias against the Compass petrol automatic on Team-bhp. Or i think people here have ultra high expectations from the petrol Compass
Although I have not driven the Compass, I happen to know three owners of Compass petrol who are disappointed with their vehicles. Their grouse is the performance in the city traffic and the poor FE (8 kmpl). A couple of them are thinking of selling off their cars and replacing it with something else.

I would attribute it to the second reason where the buyers had a different expectation from the vehicle and didn't evaluate the car properly during the test drives.

Last edited by ashis89 : 7th December 2020 at 11:22.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 11:26   #2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
This is perfectly normal for HID lights.
=====
Bad aiming of lights can be problem which leads to bad visibility.
Thanks, since the stock HID's are not great, any recommendation on upgrade without voiding the warranty?
Old 7th December 2020, 11:40   #2123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, since the stock HID's are not great, any recommendation on upgrade without voiding the warranty?
Not much options available. If you find the HIDs really bad, you can downgrade your headlights to the headlights of the Sport version, which have dual reflector Headlights and the effective lighting and spread is much more, but you will lose the bling factor - the LED parking light strip and the HID projector lens setup entirely.

There are some plug and play third party headlights also available, but they are expensive. You can check out mxsmotorsport http://www.mxsmotosport.com/car/jeep-466 - they have some options available.

For people like me who have the Limited Compass which came with Halogen projectors, we have upgraded the headlights with either 35W or 55W HID retrofit kits, but that is not possible with the OE HID headlights of the Limited O and Limited Plus models.

Last edited by Behemoth : 7th December 2020 at 11:43.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 12:31   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Your issue seems to be the colour temperature of the stock HID bulbs, which are probably 6000K. Go to the aftermarket & buy a good quality pair of 4300K HID bulbs, and your night visibility will improve by leaps & bounds.

6000K (or above) colour temperature looks super cool at night, however, in the rain or times of poor visibility, they are as good as useless.

If you want a more detailed explanation, post in this thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ting-here.html (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)

Good luck.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 20:23   #2125

Just completed a 600km trip in my newly acquired JC 1.4 petrol AT longitude plus. I am amazed to see a mileage of 12.6km/l on odometer with average 100km/hr speed. Dear members, can we count on the accuracy of the odometer ? Overall mileage since buying is shown as 9.8km/l for 2398kms. With these figures my hopes of getting company claim mileage of 14km/l have enlightened !
Bought Petrol vs Diesel purely due to my less than 12k/ annum running and good discount on offer.

P.S. I never bought the beast keeping in mind the mileage figures.It is just awesome to drive. Moreover, it feels so safe & sturdy at 3 digit speed.
yrwagh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 22:52   #2126

Got my beauty pampered the last weekend at Krithi Car Care Bangalore. Wrapped her up in the Hexis bodyfence PPF all around and got the roof and interiors ceramic coated. The team at Krithi did a fantastic work. Couldn't stop smiling when i was taking the delivery.

Being in a transferable job means exposing the car to all sorts of weather conditions and the unimaginable range of cracknuts on the roads pan India. So praying that the deep hole in the wallet pays off in the years to come. Posting some photos with the intention to share the joy of seeing a sparkling Compass among the fans here!
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20201206_132832.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20201207_150256.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20201207_150428.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20201207wa0015.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20201207wa0022.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20201207wa0023.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20201207wa0024.jpg  

deepluv4carz is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 23:29   #2127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepluv4carz View Post
Got my beauty pampered the last weekend at Krithi Car Care Bangalore. Wrapped her up in the Hexis bodyfence PPF all around and got the roof and interiors ceramic coated. The team at Krithi did a fantastic work. !
Wow! How long did it take to get the work done? how much did it cost?
Old 8th December 2020, 06:57   #2128

Extremely sorry for the repeat posts above!! I have requested the Mods to do the needful.

@Rilke, It took two and a half days for the work. The price quoted was 1.5L however negotiated for a great deal.. The firm has, for obvious reasons requested not to publicise the discounted price!
deepluv4carz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:40   #2129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I
My whole gripe is that the Compass deserves to sell more but thanks to the ambitious pricing it is not getting the numbers it deserves.
Since this is an angle that is being put across much, just did a quick comparison. Jeep Compass starts at somewhere around $24k in USA, going till $30k for top end. Convert it to Indian Rupees, it is more or less the same price here, not considering road tax, cess etc. Hyundai Tucson too starts at $24k, going till $31k for top end.

Not sure I can still see this very vague and sort of judgemental 'Compass is priced more' argument. Maybe the gripe is happening because of comparing it to Seltos and Creta. But then for that sort of comparisons of vehicles across segments, well, nothing will add up surely, IMHO.
anoop cheeran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 12:11   #2130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrwagh View Post
Dear members, can we count on the accuracy of the odometer ? Overall mileage since buying is shown as 9.8km/l for 2398kms. With these figures my hopes of getting company claim mileage of 14km/l have enlightened !
If you are asking about the accuracy of the fuel efficiency shown on the MID, then yes the accuracy level is good. Normally I see a difference of around .2 between the MID and full tank method.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks