Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2020, 13:14   #2086

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Between the 2.0 diesel and the 1.4 petrol, the former is clearly the better engine, and has the better transmissions too.
Hi Achyuta,

Any tips or recommendation on extracting the most out of 1.4 MAIR Petrol AT?

11.6 is a very respectable number and I would be very interested to achieve the same.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd December 2020 at 19:59. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 2nd December 2020, 19:58   #2087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraven View Post
Hi Achyuta,

Any tips or recommendation on extracting the most out of 1.4 MAIR Petrol AT?

11.6 is a very respectable number and I would be very interested to achieve the same.
Sure. here are some suggestions-

1. Change OE Firestones. Opt for silica based tires. Has impact on mileage

2. Optimze AC usage- i usually keep it around 24-25 degrees.

3. Fill nitrogen, and keep consistent air pressure. I use 35 psi all round (brochure recommends 35 front-32 rear though), and check every week

4. Use momentum well while you drive. This is a heavy car so once it picks speed, no need to keep pressing the accelerator hard. A light tap keeps you in the zone. In highways i have found the sweet spot to be around 80 kmph.Of course factors like load, incline, traffic etc can make a lot of difference.

5. Plan your moves in advance, avoid sudden acceleration and braking- tough in Indian conditions but not impossible

6. Use manual mode in hills

7. From the screen menus, use the real time fuel efficiency screen as the main screen- allows you to know how you are doing in real-time. Performance pressure

8. Take off unneccesary luggage from the car, keep only essentials as they add to weight

9. Avoid unnecessary idling at signals. I also choose my parking spots carefully so as not to get caught in traffic.

10. Last but not the least, consider a mindset shift and look at fuel efficiency as not just money saving, but also environment saving- we all have a duty towards the planet.

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 2nd December 2020 at 20:13.
achyutaghosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:50   #2088
Team-BHP Support

Year end discounts of upto Rs 2 lakhs on the Jeep Compass -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 11:28   #2089
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Year end discounts of upto Rs 2 lakhs on the Jeep Compass -
When a manufacturer has to release an ad saying discounts of 2L on offer, it shows that they don't want to admit it but know that the product was overpriced.

Infact in all the Compass threads I have always mentioned that it is overpriced by 2-3L.

I was trying to convince an ex colleague to go for a Compass over the Creta/Seltos and almost closed the deal till the dealer went back on offer.

The top end Creta diesel AT is close to 22L on road with all bells and whistles. I asked him to check the Compass.

He was sold on the Longitude 4x4 AT which was 28L on road. After discounts the dealer offered close to 25L on road. HE was ready to book till the final amount was back to 26L.

For the lower trim longitudinal with decent features but no sunroof, HID lights etc he was willing to pay 3L more for the Compass over the fully loaded Creta but not more than that.

This is what majority have as their perception. The Compass is worth 3L more than equivalent Creta/Seltos but Jeep are selling the compass at 6-9L more than the Creta which simply makes no sense even if you appreciate the engineering and feel. It's difficult to justify.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:59   #2090
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Infact in all the Compass threads I have always mentioned that it is overpriced by 2-3L.

For the lower trim longitudinal with decent features but no sunroof, HID lights etc he was willing to pay 3L more for the Compass over the fully loaded Creta but not more than that.
Absolutely! I could live with the original prices, but Jeep surely dug their grave over time with significant hikes, especially for BS6. The base Sport Plus model of the Compass Diesel is priced against 1L more than the TATA Harrier XT+ Dark edition with panoramic sunroof. Even for those considering brands beyond Hyundai and Kia - that's a tough sell.

The higher variants of the Compass has become ridiculously overpriced as well, with the lineup stretching all the way from 20 lakhs on road to 35 lakhs!

Good product, bad management as always with FCA.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:28   #2091
BHPian

Quote:
He was sold on the Longitude 4x4 AT which was 28L on road. After discounts the dealer offered close to 25L on road. HE was ready to book till the final amount was back to 26L.

Last week I test drove Compass Diesel M and the dealer offered Longitude Plus variant for 23.9L on road in Bangalore. For my budget, I think it is still pricey.

@ Vid6639: What do you think is the best price to go for this Longitude variant ? Is it worth to wait for the facelift version, whether there will be any better placed variant for Compass ? Pls let me know
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:17   #2092

This is a general question, but since the discounts on JC is being bought up, in Maharashtra are the RTO charges( Road Tax) on the discounted price or on the original price quoted?
Thanks.
Old 3rd December 2020, 19:08   #2093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carz77 View Post
Last week I test drove Compass Diesel M and the dealer offered Longitude Plus variant for 23.9L on road in Bangalore.
If it's automatic 4x4, then it is a very good price.
Rilke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:37   #2094

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
This is a general question, but since the discounts on JC is being bought up, in Maharashtra are the RTO charges( Road Tax) on the discounted price or on the original price quoted?
Thanks.
I had a detailed discussion with Jeep Pune and various other folks on same.

Based on my research, to avoid underquoting and under the table deal from various dealers, RTO charges Road tax and Registration on Pre discount Ex showi price only. So if I buy a 19.69lakhs JC Longitude plus, no matter the discount amount, RTO will calculate on this price only.

E.g for Pune, you will pay 2,43,556 as rto charges, no matter what ex showroom price you get.

Ex showroom -19,69,000
Road tax- 2,36,280
Registration -600
Hypothecation if loan-1500
Number plates and RC -450
Road safety cess -4726
Total self -2,42,056
Total loan - 2,43,556
Kraven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 10:00   #2095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraven View Post
E.g for Pune, you will pay 2,43,556 as rto charges, no matter what ex showroom price you get.

Ex showroom -19,69,000
Road tax- 2,36,280
Registration -600
Hypothecation if loan-1500
Number plates and RC -450
Road safety cess -4726
Total self -2,42,056
Total loan - 2,43,556
Thank you for the details. So it will be 12% for the Petrol version and 15% for the Deisel version since the price will go above 20 big ones.

https://indianauto.com/stories/road-...states-nid3912
Old 4th December 2020, 10:14   #2096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilke View Post
If it's automatic 4x4, then it is a very good price.
NO. It is a Diesel Manual 4x2 Longitude Plus, hence I felt it is still pricey for my budget. Hopefully during Dec / Jan if there is overstock, they might offer more discount.
Old 4th December 2020, 13:12   #2097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carz77 View Post
NO. It is a Diesel Manual 4x2 Longitude Plus, hence I felt it is still pricey for my budget. Hopefully during Dec / Jan if there is overstock, they might offer more discount.
Longitude Plus 4x2 Petrol Automatic is 20.6L in Delhi NCR.
Old 4th December 2020, 13:45   #2098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When a manufacturer has to release an ad saying discounts of 2L on offer, it shows that they don't want to admit it but know that the product was overpriced.

I was trying to convince an ex colleague to go for a Compass over the Creta/Seltos and almost closed the deal till the dealer went back on offer.

The top end Creta diesel AT is close to 22L on road with all bells and whistles. I asked him to check the Compass.

This is what majority have as their perception. The Compass is worth 3L more than equivalent Creta/Seltos but Jeep are selling the compass at 6-9L more than the Creta which simply makes no sense even if you appreciate the engineering and feel. It's difficult to justify.
I bought the top end Diesel limited plus last month, and must say, it feels solid, is a pleasure to use, its a thoroughbred after all. Cretas and Seltos are all crossovers, nowhere the solidity of the Jeep and the brand. Yes its 3 lacs overpriced in comparison at same levels, but, I still chose the Compass.
scooby05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 13:56   #2099
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I bought the top end Diesel limited plus last month, and must say, it feels solid, is a pleasure to use, its a thoroughbred after all. Cretas and Seltos are all crossovers, nowhere the solidity of the Jeep and the brand. Yes its 3 lacs overpriced in comparison at same levels, but, I still chose the Compass.
Yeah but the point I was making is right now they are selling 500-800 cars monthly not even 1000. And you are part of that 800 buyers vs Kia and Hyundai which sell 12 times more.

The compass could do 2-3k if priced right.

Selling one single model that too less than 1000 makes no business sense in long run and will lead to issues for dealers and manufacturers like what happened with Fiat.

Unless they sell more even current customers have to worry what happens 2 years down the line.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 21:13   #2100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah but the point I was making is right now they are selling 500-800 cars monthly not even 1000. And you are part of that 800 buyers vs Kia and Hyundai which sell 12 times more.

The compass could do 2-3k if priced right.

Selling one single model that too less than 1000 makes no business sense in long run and will lead to issues for dealers and manufacturers like what happened with Fiat.

Unless they sell more even current customers have to worry what happens 2 years down the line.
That is their India sales numbers. They also export the same vehicle to all RHD countries from the same plant. UK and Australia for sure, perhaps some more too.

The future of service network may look grim but the manufacturing and parts availability should not be a problem. It is quite heavily localized. Spare part availability in the local market is quite good too, possibly because of the same reason.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks