Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2024, 12:42   #1036
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis : Official Review

Recently upgraded my stock halogens on my ignis Sigma with Osram 50W 4200k LED's. They have remarkably improved the nigh driving experience. There is a lot of road construction going on in ECR road fron pondicherry to Karaikal and i had to travel multiple times and with the LED'S road was very well illuminated. I went for 4200k as it is more helpfull during rain and fog. Heat produced is less compared to stock and also high beam maniacs will immediately dim if you switch to bright beams.

I got them for 5k after discounts from Planet car care and i would highly recommend osram if anyone is looking to upgrade from halogens.
Note: while most Chinese and cheap brands market the total watt of the bulbs osram is quoting the output of single bulb meaning 50×2= 100W in total.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ignis : Official Review-img20240428202831.jpg  

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-img20240428203012.jpg  

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-img20240428202611.jpg  

Old 13th July 2024, 20:54   #1037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DhinaStark94 View Post
Recently upgraded my stock halogens on my ignis Sigma with Osram 50W 4200k LED's. They have remarkably improved the nigh driving experience. There is a lot of road construction going on in ECR road fron pondicherry to Karaikal and i had to travel multiple times and with the LED'S road was very well illuminated. I went for 4200k as it is more helpfull during rain and fog. Heat produced is less compared to stock and also high beam maniacs will immediately dim if you switch to bright beams.

I got them for 5k after discounts from Planet car care and i would highly recommend osram if anyone is looking to upgrade from halogens.
Note: while most Chinese and cheap brands market the total watt of the bulbs osram is quoting the output of single bulb meaning 50×2= 100W in total.
Didn't you face any issues with the reflectors of your headlamps made for halogens? Many people complain the effectiveness of LEDs in halogen reflector assembly is poor as they are not made for it.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 21:23   #1038
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Didn't you face any issues with the reflectors of your headlamps made for halogens?
Basically the reflect is built for a specific bulb, so for example a reflector made for an H4 bulb will work based on where the light from the filament hits the reflector. Since all halogen H4 bulbs are same there is no issues if you use a standard halogen bulb.

However, if you switch to LEDs, you must ensure that it is a quality brand like Osram where the LED will be in exact position as the filament so the light hits the reflector in the the same way as the halogen bulb the reflector was intended for. If you use some ching chong bulb where the led doesn't match the filament positioning of the matching halogen bulb, then the reflector will not work the way it was intended.

Please not, I am not talking about the bulb base, but the positioning of the LED in relation to the same type of halogen bulb. Hope this is clear.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 21:32   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Didn't you face any issues with the reflectors of your headlamps made for halogens? Many people complain the effectiveness of LEDs in halogen reflector assembly is poor as they are not made for it.
Ya while doing research for upgrades i also saw a lot of YouTube videos from reputed channels and went through all of the articles in our community and found mixed results.What i understand is during the initial stages leds that were not designed for reflectors created issues. But now some leds are designed to match the exact dimensions of a halogen to mimic similar beam patterns.

For more detailed info checkout this YouTube channel, they have some detailed reviews.
And as for my options i find its a huge improvement. Visibility has improved, I'm able to see all the potholes and obstacles more clearly now.

The Major improvement comes when there is opposite incoming traffic with high beams in dimly lit roads. In those situations it is very helpful to just force them to put low beam. I haven't tried 100w halogens but as most leds produce 4300k or higher they get absorbed by traditional high power halogens like 100/90 halogens or projectors. So if your planning to upgrade to leds its best to stick with 3000 to 4000k range. Overall its a huge upgrade and if you go for good brands like Auxbeam or osram then they have good beam cut off and wont blind everyone on the road. But if you go for these cheap Chinese knock offs that claim 2000w or whatever then chances are they are bad and not well engineered.
Old 13th July 2024, 21:48   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Also do note that its is very very important to align thede LEDs in the perfect angle. The LED diodes should be aligned horizontally as seen in my picture to achieve good beam cut off. It is clearly explained in user guides also.If not properly installed or a some cheap chinese bulb for ex night eye, blaupunkt etc then it will reflect everywhere and blind everyone.
Old 13th July 2024, 22:10   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DhinaStark94 View Post
Also do note that its is very very important to align thede LEDs in the perfect angle. The LED diodes should be aligned horizontally as seen in my picture to achieve good beam cut off. It is clearly explained in user guides also.If not properly installed or a some cheap chinese bulb for ex night eye, blaupunkt etc then it will reflect everywhere and blind everyone.
How do you make sure the alignment stays in place after bumpy drives? It is tough for chassis of car to remain noise free after a couple of bumpy drives and here we are talking about small bulbs. Is it required to get the LEDs re aligned post some kilometers as regular maintenence?
Old 13th July 2024, 22:43   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
How do you make sure the alignment stays in place after bumpy drives? It is tough for chassis of car to remain noise free after a couple of bumpy drives and here we are talking about small bulbs. Is it required to get the LEDs re aligned post some kilometers as regular maintenence?
Im not sure about this part, maybe anyone else with Better knowledge can commen, but i have done two 300km drives in super bad roads and i didn't notice and misalignment issues. When i fixed the bulbs it was a tight fit. Im not completely sure but i thinks it is caused when by the dust cap which causes the bulb to be snugly fit inside the housing.
I was trying to forget about this paranoia about the lamps getting misaligned or the after market roof rails i just fitted flying off , so thanks for reminding them again
Old 18th July 2024, 11:07   #1043
BHPian

I'm considering buying either Ignis or Tiago NRG.

For Ignis, I have heard again and again about the (1) steering lightness and instability on highway higher speeds and (2) stiff suspension causing uncomforting backseats.

Being confident in highway and long trip comfort is important for me.
I would like to ask Ignis owners about the same - would really appreciate your real life experience on this.

Last edited by bmuser : 18th July 2024 at 11:28.
Old 18th July 2024, 15:50   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuser View Post
I'm considering buying either Ignis or Tiago NRG.

For Ignis, I have heard again and again about the (1) steering lightness and instability on highway higher speeds and (2) stiff suspension causing uncomforting backseats.

Being confident in highway and long trip comfort is important for me.
I would like to ask Ignis owners about the same - would really appreciate your real life experience on this.
Hello bmuser!

Driving Ignis from 2022. Have clocked about 29k on the Odo till date. To tell you the truth have fallen in love with the car!

1. The car has a refined 4 cylinder 1.2L engine which pulls. Car being relatively light weight makes the car peppy. A very useful feature to have in city traffic.
2. The engine is very refined and silent in idle. I have mistaken it to be off a few times. Since our car is an AMT, we have to press the gas and keep it pressed while overtaking. When the car hits high RPMs the sound of the engines turns into a growl, which is music to my ears.
3. On the highways, it holds its own. You can cruise comfortably at 80-100 kmph range. On good expressways, the car can maintain 110-120 kmph.
4. I have made multiple 1000 km plus journeys in the past two years. Never faced any major problem. Have travelled from Bangalore - Kholapur - Goa - Bangalore within 3 days. About 1500 plus KM driven. No problem. Have travelled Bangalore - Mangalore - Goa - Mangalore - Bangalore in 4 days. No issues. Have made many Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore trips within one day. Have done Bangalore - Trichy - Bangalore in two days. Never had an issue.
5. The seats are wide. More wide than the Ecosport. Makes it more comfortable.
6. Riding height is not low nor high. It is adequate.
7. The suspensions are not that good. But if you are a good driver who can detect the pot holes and avoid and slow down in time, this is not an issue.
8. Steering does not auto-center. But you will get used to it. The steering is light, because the car itself is light. It gives sufficient feed back upto 100-110 kmph. Above this mark there is no feedback. But hey, this is a commuter car, not a racer. Most highways have a speed limit of 80-100 kmph. This will get you through.
8. The ground clearance is also ok. Have not scrapped the bottom in this. Even with 4 passengers.
9. AMT has been life changing coming from manual cars. I hated AMT the first time I drove. Shifting was not in my control, but has I piled on kms, it grew on me. I understood how it behaved, how I can control it. Yes, it is not as fast as shifting in Manual transmissions, but if you drive sedately, which you will do on long journey's, the rest it offers to your left legs and left hand is unparalleled. You will feel less tired.
10. Small foot print and a small turning radius is a boon to park and navigate in the city. The length of the car is small. You can squeeze in tight spaces.
11. Interior is spacious with 1 litre bottle holding capacity in all four doors. Paper holder in front door. Three cup holders. Two from front, one for rear. The dash is small. So this is my drawback of the interior. But visibility is good. Blind spots are very small. The boot is not very big, but adequate.
12. The GNCAP for ignis is 1 star. Not the safest. But very reliable car. Maruthi's reliability is unquestionable.
12. Service bill never exceeded 5k including oil change.

I personally have not driven the Tiago. But my brother who was in the market to get a car last year has. I accompanied him for test drive. He drove the car for a kilometer and was disappointed. His only cribbing was paying 8 lacs plus for an underpowered car. He very strongly felt that the car did not have the sufficient punch. May be the added weight of a sturdy car paired to a 3 cylinder 1.2L just did not cut it for him. But for whatever it was worth, my brother gave the Sales Rep his counter offer, never to be followed up by the Sales rep. May be they were not too interested to sell the car. But other wise, the car felt good. Only question is the reliability of TATA and the aftersales support which is still something TATA needs to improve on.

All the best with your purchase and happy driving.
mm_shen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 22:09   #1045
BHPian

I am having an unique problem with my Ignis Alpha 2022 model, having around 17k+ on the odometer. The passenger side glass of the front door is giving undue headaches recently. If the glass is lowered, it seizes to go up. The car is completely driven by me as I do not have any driver, and in my hospital parking or anywhere else, I do not purposefully give the keys to anyone else. Rest of the glass windows are normally working. The passenger side glass, if it is rolled down, at times seizes to go up, not always, but recently this has started and is happening quite frequently since last 1 week. What may be the reason ? I take very good care of my car named Snowy and its not that old, if you know what I mean . Anyone else is having this problem ? Please let me know, thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks