Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2024, 16:08   #1021
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis : Official Review

Hello Bhpians!

I had a strange experience in the AMT which I never faced before. While on my way back to Bangalore, there was a huge traffic jam near Nelamangala. The traffic would move a few inches every half a minute or so. This was the position for well over an hour. My brakes were constantly pressed when stopping, while the shifter was in 'D' mode and brakes were released to creep when the traffic moved forward.

After about an hour, while the car was creeping forward, the engine stalled! Similar to the way how the engine stalls in a manual transmission car when you let go of the clutch fast without giving the accelerator! This happened about 3 times in the start stop traffic.

I am not sure, if the clutch is worn. My car has run about 38.5k.

Or did the transmission oil heat? This was around 5 in the evening. I was driving the car since 10 AM. Had a couple of breaks in between for half an hour.

Or is this something else?
Old 5th June 2024, 17:07   #1022

Hi All

I am looking for a car for my parents. My dad is disabled and it's hard for him to sit in sedans. Considering ignis or WagonR given these are tall boy designs. Please share feedback on seat height of ignis, is it easy for senior citizens to sit or should I be looking at micro suv segment like punch or exter.
Old 5th June 2024, 18:44   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering_soul View Post
I am looking for a car for my parents. My dad is disabled and it's hard for him to sit in sedans. Considering ignis or WagonR given these are tall boy designs. Please share feedback on seat height of ignis
More than Ignis, Wagon R would suit your dad better due to higher seating, especially in the rear. Plus easy ingress-egress due to large door aperture in front and back.
Knightrider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 18:55   #1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
More than Ignis, Wagon R would suit your dad better due to higher seating, especially in the rear. Plus easy ingress-egress due to large door aperture in front and back.
Thank you, I will try to get the test drive for both. However the poor safety rating of both the cars is a concern. I had to let go of 14 year old figo due to service centre hinting at shutting down in our town. Any recommendations on a decently safe car will be helpful which can fulfil the easier ingress and seating aspect.
Old 5th June 2024, 20:24   #1025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However the poor safety rating of both the cars is a concern. .
As much as safety rating is important, I will keep the comfort factor on top when it comes to seniors, and especially when the car will be used more in the city. I know this is debatable, but do give the Wagon-R a good look.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 21:11   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, I will try to get the test drive for both. However the poor safety rating of both the cars is a concern. I had to let go of 14 year old figo due to service centre hinting at shutting down in our town. Any recommendations on a decently safe car will be helpful which can fulfil the easier ingress and seating aspect.
Tata tiago, small, safe and perfect.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 21:52   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_shen View Post
Hello Bhpians!

I had a strange experience in the AMT which I never faced before. While on my way back to Bangalore, there was a huge traffic jam near Nelamangala. The traffic would move a few inches every half a minute or so. This was the position for well over an hour. My brakes were constantly pressed when stopping, while the shifter was in 'D' mode and brakes were released to creep when the traffic moved forward.

After about an hour, while the car was creeping forward, the engine stalled! Similar to the way how the engine stalls in a manual transmission car when you let go of the clutch fast without giving the accelerator! This happened about 3 times in the start stop traffic.

I am not sure, if the clutch is worn. My car has run about 38.5k.

Or did the transmission oil heat? This was around 5 in the evening. I was driving the car since 10 AM. Had a couple of breaks in between for half an hour.

Or is this something else?
It could be a combination of both. I have an Ignis AMT that has done 39.5k and I haven't come across this problem but I have heard of a few worn out clutches at 30-50K in AMTs. You may want to check with a good FNG mechanic or ASC to see if there is any slippage in the clutch.

Ignis vehicle manual recommends to move the shifter to N as much as possible even in start stop traffic instead of keeping it in D with breaks pressed, which I diligently follow. Another practice I follow is to allow the engine RPM to subside to 08.k after the initial surge to 1.2 K during cold start, before I shit to D and start driving. The ECU will make the car rev at ~1.2K RPM for a few minutes till the engine heats up and then it will come down to 0.8K RPM.

For those who are unhappy with the ignis audio, I suggest just changing the speaker, which gives a very good upgrade. While the speakers are mediocre, the stock HU on the Alpha variant is from Harmon Kardon and the SQ is pretty impressive. I had shifted to Blaupunkt Ft. Lauderdale which comes with a 10 band graphic equalizer and upgraded the speaker to Alpine SPG series components at the front and rear. I stuck to the OE camera and BT mic from Blaupunkt. However the BT phone mic was giving troubles and then I reverted back to the OE HU with OE mic. The sound quality is almost on par. The distributor traced the issue to the OE camera adopter of the Blaupunkt HU which was interfering with the functioning of the Blaupunkt mic. I moved the Blaupunkt unit to my friends Celerio where its Blaupunkt external mic works without any issue as it is connected to the rear camera supplied by Blaupunkt.

Last edited by Sridhar K : 5th June 2024 at 22:02. Reason: Added some additional info
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 22:21   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
You may want to check with a good FNG mechanic or ASC to see if there is any slippage in the clutch.

Ignis vehicle manual recommends to move the shifter to N as much as possible even in start stop traffic instead of keeping it in D with breaks pressed, which I diligently follow.
Hi Sridhar! Thanks for the reply. My annual service was due. So kept the car at my local trusted garage, which is also Maruthi Authorized SC. He said it may be due to transmission heating. If the clutch would have worn, the car would not move ahead, or there would be a lot of jerk while moving from a stop. I changed the transmission oil as my car has run a little over 38k. The car is running smoothly in city traffic. Did not get an opportunity to take it on a long run.

I follow the practice of moving to N, before applying hand brakes. Will try this even while apply foot brake. Thanks for the advice!
mm_shen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 07:09   #1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by DhinaStark94 View Post
I am also facing the same issues that you have mentioned and I have also observed any of the above in all of the ignis I have encountered regardless of year and variant.
True, the black plastics and seats may be contributing to the heat buildup. I am hoping that i can find a DIY solution to the engine insulation shield, I will update here if I do!

Last edited by KarthikK : 6th June 2024 at 07:17. Reason: Trimmed the quoted post to the relevant portions for better readability
rogerthat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2024, 10:32   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
Second that. Wagon R is much more comfortable, Ignis suspension is a little stiffer and due to the backdoor slope, ingress egress is not as easy as Wagon R.

Also nothing beats the airy feeling in a Wagon R.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th June 2024 at 11:23. Reason: Minor spacing for readability
jayram.r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 11:01   #1031
BHPian

I'm writing this post sitting in my office with a terrible back pain which started on my way to work while driving over a not so big pothole at around 30 kmph.
Ignis has one of the worst if not the worst suspension for Indian roads. It bottoms out easily and there is a strong thud sound as if the vehicle hit something.
I have set the front tyre pressure to 30 PSI and rear to 32 PSI. Yet, there is no improvement at all. Even the reflectors stuck on roads can shake the car considerably!
During the last service, I paid the Nexa service to doa suspension test which is performed on some special equipment which shakes the car and measures the vibration inside the car. The test results claimed that the suspensions are working normally and there is no need for replacement.

Different sources claim that the inherent issue with ignis is it's soft spring setup.

I found out that Dr. Nano Suspensions, an Indian brand is offering heavy duty stock size spring for Ignis. This comes at Rs. 14500 a set. Is it worth?

I don't want to end up making it worse.
Old 24th June 2024, 15:41   #1032

My Ignis is due for suspension work both at front and rear.
There is noise from steering rack also.
As my vehicle has a cng cylinder in the boot, the rear end has a bit of a sag and the ride has become uncomfortable if it wasn't already!
The rear springs of ignis gets bottomed out very easily and results in a solid 'thud' if driven over potholes or speed breakers. As pointed out in many reviews, they are softer than necessary it seems.
Rear height should be raised by 20 or 30mm as it will give some more room for suspension travel.
1. One option is to install coil spring spacer or buffer within the spring.
2. Another one is to get a thicker upper spring mount to increase the height.
Which one should I go for?

I am planning to change the springs along with shock absorbers. Are there any stiffer springs available in the same size?
I am not looking for anything too expensive. (Please don't suggest ARC suspension kit)

For the steering system, parts are not available it seems. Should I go for a complete steering box - costs around 8.5k, or can it be serviced?

Last edited by KarthikK : 24th June 2024 at 15:54.
Old 25th June 2024, 08:23   #1033
BHPian

Hello Folks,

I have a Ignis Zeta MT (2023). I have always wanted to fit the rear parking camera in the boot door but am unable to find a Nexa/Arena service center "willing" to do the installation.

They always offer me a camera for the rear bumper which I have been declining since the time of delivery, when it was offered for free.

For all the part sharing that Maruti does, the hatch door of my Zeta is identical to Alpha and has a cutout for the camera next to the number plate lights.

It's not that I need a camera, but more of a feel good factor and I would prefer MGA/MGP given the warranty concerns.

Can someone please help me with the part number of the following parts and how to source them.
1. Rear Camera for Ignis Alpha(hatch mounted)
2. Auto ORVM folding module from Baleno Alpha (if it is a feasible fit)
3. Puddle lamps for Ignis Alpha (which as I understand is essentially the boot lamp fitted in the front doors)

Thanks
Shubham
Old 25th June 2024, 18:42   #1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubham7799 View Post
It's not that I need a camera, but more of a feel good factor and I would prefer MGA/MGP given the warranty concerns.
Checkout the camera at Boodmo
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-camera_assy-38163084/
Old 28th June 2024, 22:59   #1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubham7799 View Post
3. Puddle lamps for Ignis Alpha (which as I understand is essentially the boot lamp fitted in the front doors)
Puddle Lamps Assembly (You wood need 2 numbers) -
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-lamp...illum-6794755/

Wire Assembly (although not needed but helps makes a clean install) -
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-wire_door_lamp-6794756/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks