Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2024, 11:01   #961
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeard View Post
Hi, very nicely & tastefully modified fortuner. Do you mind sharing the details and cost of the mods & source of purchase? Is the snorkel a safari one and the bull bar ARB?
Thanks, bull bar is ARB (without hoops/top rails),snorkel is TJM and lift kit is from Dobinsons. All the work has been done by Classic service point, Noida you may contact them for latest quotes.
Maverick07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 18:16   #962
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the information.
The hoops & rails on the Bull bar, are they optional?
Any other upgrades planned winch, lockers?
BlackBeard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2024, 03:08   #963
BHPian

Info needed!

I just had a scary experience with my 4x4AT (2017) Fortuner. I go to Badrinath twice a year. However, this year when i started Fortuner to return from Badrinath to Delhi at 5am on 13th May, the car failed to engage any gear with the 4LO indicator was constantly blinking. I have never used either 4Hi or 4 LO. Waited till 10am till the service center (36 Toyota) ay Mayapuri opened. They suggested various manoeuvres including disconnecting battery for 90 seconds but the gears won't engage and the 4LO indicator kept blinking. So, I was left with no option except to get the car towed to Delhi in 3 days at my own expense and great inconvenience.

Now the car is with service center for 2 days and they have not been able to diagnose the fault. Yesterday, they informed me that they have to open the gear-box and it will take a lot of time as it's very difficult to reach it compared to manual gearbox.

Any insights would be very thankfully welcome.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st June 2024 at 22:52. Reason: typos
Old 17th May 2024, 11:04   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
Info needed!

I just had a scary experience with my 4x4AT (2017) Fortuner. I go to Badrinath twice a year. However, this year when i started Fortuner to return from Badrinath to Delhi at 5am on 13th May, the car failed to engage any gear with the 4LO indicator was constantly blinking. I have never used either 4Hi or 4 LO. Waited till 10am till the service center (36 Toyota) ay Mayapuri opened. They suggested various manoeuvres including disconnecting battery for 90 seconds but the gears won't engage and the 4LO indicator kept blinking. So, I was left with no option except to get the car towed to Delhi in 3 days at my own expense and great inconvenience.

Now the car is with service center for 2 days and they have not been able to diagnose the fault. Yesterday, they informed me that they have to open the gear-box and it will take a lot of time as it's very difficult to reach it compared to manual gearbox.

Any insights would be very thankfully welcome.
I am assuming your 4WD knob/dial was selected at 2WD mode all this while?

Did you try to engage 4WD H/L to check if they were working by driving the vehicle forward and backward very slowly while doing so?
Do you have any other warnings/indications in your instrument cluster?

Most probably your transfer case was in Neutral hence the in-ability to engage gears.
Has the service center run an OBD scan, if so what is the analysis?

the blinking 4LO light indicates that a fault was detected by the computer systems with one of your 4-wheel drive components.
This can be caused by a failing transfer case or differential engagement actuator, a fault with wiring, or an issue with a sensor or computer itself.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st June 2024 at 22:52. Reason: quoted post edited
BlackBeard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2024, 15:29   #965
BHPian

Quote:
I am assuming your 4WD knob/dial was selected at 2WD mode all this while?

Did you try to engage 4WD H/L to check if they were working by driving the vehicle forward and backward very slowly while doing so?
Do you have any other warnings/indications in your instrument cluster?

Most probably your transfer case was in Neutral hence the in-ability to engage gears.
Has the service center run an OBD scan, if so what is the analysis?

the blinking 4LO light indicates that a fault was detected by the computer systems with one of your 4-wheel drive components.
This can be caused by a failing transfer case or differential engagement actuator, a fault with wiring, or an issue with a sensor or computer itself.
No other warning on instrument panel. 4WD knob stayed at 2WD at all times, ever since 2017. Never had to try 4WD in slow forward/backward as parking in hotel is paved and level. Service center has not shared OBD scan but have today opened the gear box.
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2024, 16:16   #966
BHPian

Seems like an electronics/electrical fault most probably.

Since the SC has already opened the GB, best to wait for their appraisal.

I hope its nothing major and not too expensive, please do keep us updated.

Last edited by BlackBeard : 17th May 2024 at 16:17.
Old 22nd May 2024, 15:40   #967
BHPian

It is with high disbelief that I am sharing the incident that occurred with my uncle's TOYOTA Fortuner, 2016 model.

To give context, the vehicle
1. has run approx 1,70,000 kms+
2. is a 2WD and never used for off-roading
3. is single handedly used and driven.
4. 100% of services/ repairs were done at authorized dealer in Calicut, Kerala.

We have been using Toyota vehicles since 2009 (Innova/ prev generation Fortuner and the current fortuner). Have never faced any major issues from Toyota vehicles despite crossing the 1 lakh kms mark.

But to our surprise, on 27th of March'24 the vehicle was showing some stalling / loss of power issues. On the same day it was handed over to the service station since this was totally unexpected and new to us.

The issue was identified to be related to the automatic gearbox. Repairs were carried out to the extent possible as parts were not available (The service team specifically gave a heads up that its not 100% rectified and may relapse) and the vehicle was delivered on 05th April'24. After driving for a couple of kms, the vehicle stalled and was towed to the service center.

A complete repair was demanded and the parts were ordered from Japan as per the dealer. To this day, the vehicle is with the dealer. Parts have arrived during 1st week of May'24 and its been more than 2 weeks of trial and error by the service center.

The agony is that the
(1) despite patiently waiting for a complete repair at our cost, the vehicle is not repaired and the service center is repeatedly dismantling the engine and gearbox and refixing.
(2) in the first instance, this shouldn't have happened for a Toyota manufactured vehicle, duly serviced at the authorised dealer.
(3) the trial and error approach by the service team is not confidence inspiring. They are unable to give an estimated time of completion or certainity that this issue will be solved.

Reproducing the mail sent to the toyota (on 14th May'24) for a prompt response and requesting for a temporary alternate vehicle
(*I have removed the personal details; please ignore the grammatical errors) :

"To
The service head,toyota
To the appropriate authority./head of dept.

It is with great regret that this communication is made

I am xxxx
VEHICLE DETAILS
registered no. KL-11-BF-xxxx
chassis no.MBJAA3GS500522xxxxxxx
Engine no.IGDA0xxxxx

The vehicle was handed over to your service workshop at Vengalam in Calicut
on 27-03-24 as i noticed problem in the vehicle not attaining speed/movement in tune with acceleration and the message showed " engine problem" seeking assistance from the workshop .On examining it was reported THAT there is problem with 2 specified SOLENOID either "0' performance or stuck. After holding the vehicle till 04-04-24 it was informed that the spares were not available.

The vehicle was thus returned on 05-04-24.As spares was not available i had to take the vehicle. While the vehicle was being taken back on the way it got stuck with no movement at all and not responding to acceleration and showing another more problem of the vehicle jump shaking while crossing the parking gear. .It had to be taken back to the workshop on a suitable hire service vehicle at at my cost. Job card was opened on 06-04-24.To this day the vehicle is not returned.
I am made to believe that spares were not available and they were received only a few of days back .I FAIL TO BELIEVE THIS .Even after receiving the spares it is almost eight days the vehicle is not ready. IAM AGGRIEVED
My movement has been greatly affected
I am not given an alternate vehicle
what was done in the first repair on 27-03-24 ?
i am put to great monetary loss of paying the repair charges and
charges for toeing the vehicle back to workshop. The mental agony on
the belief that YOUR MECHANICAL SECTION IS INCAPABLE OF
REPAIRING THIS VEHICLE.
The loss of confidence in the vehicle

All this is happening for two reasons;
1.Non availability of spares with you
2. Incapability of your mechanical section in solving a problem within a time range

for how long the vehicle will be with you.
Will it ever be properly repaired?
I now request you to please provide with an alternate automatic vehicle with all the
facilities that i have in my vehicle"
---

The dealer has provided an alternate vehicle at the time of writing of this post. But no information whatsoever with regards to the status of the vehicle is received.
Hope the community could guide on the next steps required.

Last edited by rt363 : 22nd May 2024 at 15:44.
rt363 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 15:08   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the information.
The hoops & rails on the Bull bar, are they optional?
Any other upgrades planned winch, lockers?
Yes, hoops are optional. You can get the bar without them. Added 12000Lbs Runwa winch in November 2023. Transmission lockup kit and rear lockers are planned for 2024.
Maverick07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 06:04   #969
BHPian

Quote:
Seems like an electronics/electrical fault most probably.

Since the SC has already opened the GB, best to wait for their appraisal.

I hope its nothing major and not too expensive, please do keep us updated.
The service center ordered new gear-box (cost Rs. 1.80/- lakh) from Toyota Kirloskar, Bangalore, on 17th May, but only its housing arrived till 24th. Waiting for rest of the parts.

I was also suggested to buy 'used' gear box from adjacent Mayapuri scrap market. I found that many were 'readily' available at Rs. 1.0/-lakh per gear box - since such issues were very frequent with Fortuner automatic gearbox!
Old 31st May 2024, 01:48   #970
BHPian

Quote:
The service center ordered new gear-box (cost Rs. 1.80/- lakh) from Toyota Kirloskar, Bangalore, on 17th May, but only its housing arrived till 24th. Waiting for rest of the parts.

I was also suggested to buy 'used' gear box from adjacent Mayapuri scrap market. I found that many were 'readily' available at Rs. 1.0/-lakh per gear box - since such issues were very frequent with Fortuner automatic gearbox!
Is the GB being provided under warranty or are you taking an insurance claim?
Has Toyota given you the reason for GB replacement?

Was the Mayapuri route suggested by Toyota, if so are they willing to provide warranty for it?
Best to go in for a new GB with official warranty.
BlackBeard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 13:09   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Is the GB being provided under warranty or are you taking an insurance claim?
Has Toyota given you the reason for GB replacement?

Was the Mayapuri route suggested by Toyota, if so are they willing to provide warranty for it?
Best to go in for a new GB with official warranty.
GB is being replaced at 100% my cost - neither insurance (though its comprehensive insurance by Toyota) nor under warranty (since its more than 5 years old).

Yes, i have opted for new GB. However, same has not yet been dispatched from Bangalore to Neemrana depot till today.

Reason: all gears are broken!

Mayapuri was not officially suggested but just as a friendly clue!
Old 31st May 2024, 14:21   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GB is being replaced at 100% my cost - neither insurance (though its comprehensive insurance by Toyota) nor under warranty (since its more than 5 years old).

Yes, i have opted for new GB. However, same has not yet been dispatched from Bangalore to Neemrana depot till today.

Mayapuri was not officially suggested but just as a friendly clue!
That sounds like usual dealer bullshit. How do you “break” all the gears when you start the car the next morning after a long trip? Especially in a torque converter automatic. Would have suggested visiting a reputed 3rd party mechanic for a second opinion but I guess it’s too late now. Most likely it was probably something simple like the transfer case getting jammed since it had never engaged 4H or 4L in all these years.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 16:48   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt363 View Post
The dealer has provided an alternate vehicle at the time of writing of this post. But no information whatsoever with regards to the status of the vehicle is received.
Hope the community could guide on the next steps required.
You are undergoing a terrible ordeal, did the service centre diagnose the issue? is the GB under warranty? ask to examine the GB yourself and ask for the toyota escalation matrix from the ASC.

Quote:

I would suggest you examine the GB yourself, generic statements like all gears broken is very wishy washy...whatever that means!

Ask them to return the old GB to you on completion of repairs.
Any specific reason why the insurance claim is not being honoured?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
That sounds like usual dealer bullshit. How do you “break” all the gears when you start the car the next morning after a long trip? Especially in a torque converter automatic.
Exactly my thoughts, very generic and absurd statement.
BlackBeard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 17:53   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
That sounds like usual dealer bullshit. How do you “break” all the gears when you start the car the next morning after a long trip? Especially in a torque converter automatic. Would have suggested visiting a reputed 3rd party mechanic for a second opinion but I guess it’s too late now. Most likely it was probably something simple like the transfer case getting jammed since it had never engaged 4H or 4L in all these years.
Yes, i have same feeling. I will definitely check the 'broken' gears.

Now the service center has informed me that they have no time-line as to when they will get the new GB as toyota-kirlosakar have to manufacture it afresh.
Old 1st June 2024, 22:48   #975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, i have same feeling. I will definitely check the 'broken' gears.

Now the service center has informed me that they have no time-line as to when they will get the new GB as toyota-kirlosakar have to manufacture it afresh.
Delay may be because Gearbox is imported. But it’s surprising that dealer is unable to commit a time. Something is not alright.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks