anthiltg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 16:01   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthiltg View Post
Tata Hexa & Tiago powers Tata Motors to 46,349 unit sales in January 2017
http://www.india.com/auto/tata-hexa-...-2017-1806041/
Of 46,349 only 12K odd sales come from Passenger vehicles. While it is a good 21% growth as reported even in passenger car segment, Tata has a long way to go. Once upon a time Tata used to sell 10-12K copies of Indica alone!
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 18:14   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Of 46,349 only 12K odd sales come from Passenger vehicles. While it is a good 21% growth as reported even in passenger car segment, Tata has a long way to go. Once upon a time Tata used to sell 10-12K copies of Indica alone!

They continue to sell the Indica to this day, with very little change to the way it looks. They launched three more hatch backs after the Indica; each one a better product than its predecessor.

I think they should have done what Toyota did: kill the old product when they introduced a new one, despite the older one being a top seller.

When Tata launched the Vista, they were selling about 5000 to 6000 copies each of Indica and the Vista. Had they killed the Indica at that point, and did the same thing to the Vista when they launched the Bolt, this huge negative perception of Tata cars might not have built up: Just a thought!
Enobarbus is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 21:21   #1174
BHPian

Took a test drive of Hexa XT4x4 today, on wife's insistence. I've already shared my views on the XTA, so will only talk about features specific to this variant. The stick shift is notchy indeed. It's impossible to do fast shifting as the gears slot into position a tad slow. My friend suggested that this should get smoother as the miles pileup on the vehicle. I'm not too sure though. Clutch is very light, good job there TML. Now the TOD modes. I started on the highway in 'comfort' mode. The Hexa was slow and lumbered in this mode as I tried accelerating hard. This was further aggravated by the notchy gearshifts. Changing to dynamic mode made a noticeable difference and acceleration was much more enjoyable. Then we tried 'rough road' mode. A patch of berm beside the highway was slushed up with last week's rains and subsequent parking of heavy vehicles. As I drove through the slush I could notice the TOD and ESP kicking in to compensate for spin on the rear wheels and control fishtailing. I was impressed by the TOD system. From my off-roading experience, this vehicle should hold its own in most moderate off-road challenges. It is no rock climber tough. To be fair, this class of vehicle is not meant to do any better. But I maintain that TML missed a trick by skipping the 2 speed TOD transfer case.

Overall, the vehicle is excellent. I still feel it won't be a runaway success, which will be more down to a bad product strategy than any weaknesses in the product. The wife is sold on the Hexa, while I continue to feel that Storme 4x4 is a better VFM. So it's a stalemate!

OT: The dealership no longer has a test car for Storme. The sales chap mentioned that TML is completely focused on Hexa and he doubts any on-order Stormes will be delivered soon . Also, no loyalty bonus for 'old' Tata customers. Offering the same is the least TML can do for us 'fanboys' .

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th February 2017 at 17:08. Reason: Addition of text.
param22k is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 21:58   #1175
BHPian

BTW, saw a white Hexa XT at the dealership. The combination of metallic white paint with dark claddings, grill and headlamps looks classy!

param22k is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 00:54   #1176
Distinguished - BHPian

Official list of accessory kits & their contents, and their individual pricing:

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image1.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 01:00   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Took a test drive of Hexa XT4x4 today, on wife's insistence. I've already shared my views on the XTA, so will only talk about features specific to this variant. The stick shift is notchy indeed. It's impossible to do fast shifting as the gears slot into position a tad slow. My friend suggested that this should get smoother as the miles pileup on the vehicle. I'm not too sure though. Clutch is very light, good job there TML. Now the TOQ modes. I started on the highway in 'comfort' mode. The Hexa was slow and lumbered in this mode as I tried accelerating hard. This was further aggravated by the notchy gearshifts. Changing to dynamic mode made a noticeable difference and acceleration was much more enjoyable. Then we tried 'rough road' mode. A patch of berm beside the highway was slushed up with last week's rains and subsequent parking of heavy vehicles. As I drove through the slush I could notice the TOQ and ESP kicking in to compensate for spin on the rear wheels and control fishtailing. I was impressed by the TOQ system. From my off-roading experience, this vehicle should hold its own in most moderate off-road challenges. It is no rock climber tough. To be fair, this class of vehicle is not meant to do any better. But I maintain that TML missed a trick by skipping the 2 speed TOQ transfer case.
It would be great if you could provide the full-form first and then use short forms. What's TOQ?
abhi7013 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 01:22   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Did I read it right? Is there really a sunroof on offer? Or does it indicate the camping awning on the side as shown in TUFF version?
Old 4th February 2017, 06:45   #1179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Did I read it right? Is there really a sunroof on offer? Or does it indicate the camping awning on the side as shown in TUFF version?
It's the sunroof as an optional extra.
Old 4th February 2017, 09:17   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
OEM Mobile holder for 595 . This can be asked for free from the dealer. Now, hopefully, none would hold that against the hexa.

Similarly for the Sunroof - another feature the XUV had against the Hexa. (But as far as I remember, this was talked of as an option even before launch. It got lost in translation somewhere.)
Old 4th February 2017, 09:38   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
OEM Mobile holder for 595 . This can be asked for free from the dealer. Now, hopefully, none would hold that against the hexa.

Similarly for the Sunroof - another feature the XUV had against the Hexa. (But as far as I remember, this was talked of as an option even before launch. It got lost in translation somewhere.)

Sunroof might be a good option for those who seem to miss it. At 90k though, I'm curious? Would it be on pre order and factory fitted (which would be confidence inspiring ) ? Or an after sales job? Any info anyone?
Old 4th February 2017, 10:12   #1182
Distinguished - BHPian

For those looking to swap out the 19" wheels - 8520 a piece for the 16" alloys.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 10:47   #1183
BHPian

Tata shipped 1498 Hexas last month, pretty decent start IMO.

Source: autopunditz.com
S.MJet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 00:25   #1184
BHPian

An interesting read. Seems to be a pretty balanced review of both - Hexa and SUV:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/autos/...X8i1sQ68O.html
anthiltg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 08:22   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
On Thursday a sales person from OMR called me introduced himself and said that he will be the single point of contact until the deal is closed oneway or another.(I have done my booking by paying 11K with them). He said I can do the test ride on Friday morning at the Velachery Concorde motors. The timing was fixed at 9.30. He also called me at 8.30 to confirm the same. My wife, a friend of mine also joined me.
It was a Tungsten Silver XTA, 6 seater vehicle that had just 210 Km on the odometer.
The ride was not a long one just around the MRC, it was about 4 Km. Being a Friday morning couldn't do a full fledged ride. My main purpose was to check the following:
1) The comfort of the third row: I am happy with this. But this was a 6 seater and one could stretch one leg between the second row captain seats. I need to check this out once the bench seater is available. I am happy with the thigh rest and the head room it has. I am 173 Cm and weigh 82 Kgs.
2) The luggage space with the third row up: It can accommodate only smaller suitcases or soft luggages. But is fine since the third row has a 50:50 split
3) The driver position which some were complaining about: The comment by a few had me worried and I didn't have to. I brought the seat to the lowest height, that I always prefer because of the excellent thigh support it gives, and adjusted the reach so that when I depress the brake pedal fully my leg is just slightly bent, and I keep the back rest near vertical with very slight tilt. Then I adjusted the steering angle so that my arms are slightly bent at 3 and 9 O clock position. It was perfect for me.
4)The gear reach: Another concern I was worried about. There were a couple of 4X4 that had come for the next week's Hex experience. But not allowed for test ride. I sat in it to test the gear position. Having done 2.15 lakhs in my Grande MK II, I found it to be better and I am happy.

So I will wait to test drive the manual when it comes. Check out the third row comfort of a 7 seater. Wait for the pricing to be announced and the take the final call...
I took a test drive of the 4X4 7 seater yesterday, Saturday.
The main idea was to check out the manual gear shift and the third row space.
The gear shift is definitely not smooth, but not a deal breaker. The reach is not issue for me. Clutch requires little effort, but will have to get used to the longer travel. It was just about 10 in the morning and driving it from Concorde Velachery to Thiruvanmiyur via IIT and Adayar LB road was easy and not an issue.

Checked out the rear seat by setting the driver seat to suit me, the mid row at a comfortable position and then sat on the third row.I was okay, my wife and daughter were happy. So decided on the 7 seater..

Then came the decision on colour. Earlier at home my son and daughter had said elephant grey is their choice. But the test drive car was blue and all of us were okay with that and I have never owned a car of this colour. So blue it will be.

The luggage space accommodated two cabin size suitcase with the third row up. So a tick box for this too

Now I am confused between XT4x2, XTA and XT4x4. ESP and Traction Control are not available in the XTA. I think these are essential features with the increased highway speeds. Safety or Convenience is a big question for me now
The 4x4 is heavier by 100Kg. In an already heavier vehicle this has an adverse impact on handling and probably on mileage too. Do I need a 4x4 really? May be not. But it sounds nice to tell people that my car has 4x4. I have asked the SA for the ARAI mileage figures for all the three. Once I get that I will zero in on this too.
arulpeem is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks