Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2017, 22:29   #1036
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Tata Motors has revised ex-showroom price of Gujarat for Hexa. Now XT 4x4 and XTA costing more in Gujarat compare to other states. Rest of the models are costing more or less same with other states. Can anybody tell me what is the reason behind that. There is no LBT or octroi in Gujarat.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexaprice.png  

Old 26th January 2017, 00:26   #1037
BHPian

Looks like deliveries are commencing almost everywhere. Got a call from the dealer saying the car can be delivered in two days. But since loads of paper work is pending, it'll take atleast a week for me.
Could someone guide me to a thread which lists out any initial checks to be made while taking delivery? It would be really helpful. I searched but could not land on a proper post.
Old 26th January 2017, 01:27   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Today I had the pleasure of test driving a Hexa XTA with a good friend who is an important person out here.

Been wondering whether to post a review here or not, but came across a lot of comments comparing options on this version of XUV and that version of Innova.

In my very humble opinion, the Hexa came across as a well-engineered and designed vehicle that is a CLEAR winner in its segment. Primary reasons being:

1. The ride, which most people have raved about, is about 2-3 segments ahead of where this vehicle is positioned. What it offers is unmatched by its competitors upto Rs.40 lakhs. I have not driven vehicles in brackets above in India, but from my experience abroad it is way ahead of many of the Rs.60 lakh vehicles here.

2. Engine & Transmission: The auto-box was a revelation - we never felt it hesitate at any point, and it downshifted very nicely as speeds went down. A manual version provides you with the level of control that is missing on an auto box, but on this vehicle the autobox does that job perfectly well so you really don't need the manual option. In-gear acceleration capabilities of the engine are also quite commendable, and I'm glad they've put a bit of thought into this crucial aspect as it is more relevant to the segment than 0-100 acceleration. I don't remember seeing a traffic-light GP of minivans or MUVs.

3. Comfort levels inside the vehicle are excellent - the bucket seats (captains chairs?) offer superb levels of support and comfort. It felt very regal sitting in the back while said TBHP VIP friend was driving. It absolutely insulates you from the world outside, and you could cruise all day for days on end without feeling tired.

4. Handling was another surprise. The composure is commendable - we didn't break into a sweat when doing an emergency maneuver to brake and swerve when we nearly missed the exit we were supposed to take on the highway. It felt as good as carrying out a similar maneuver in the Yeti that I use in India. That should tell you something about how easy it is to drive around - in traffic or on the highway. It simply shrinks around you.

5. Composure - the reason we nearly missed the exit was that we were going faster than we expected to be. The way this vehicle carries speeds is amazing - we were doing silly speeds without realizing it. At one point the said VIP asked me if we were cruising at about 80 kmph, but we were actually doing a speed that is unmentionable here. YOU FEEL SAFE IN THIS VEHICLE.

All the other bits like bluetooth, sound system, the fact that you can actually put in some luggage with 3 seats up (and not drive with the rear passengers head on the rear windscreen like in some of its competitors - an unforgivable sin in my opinion), effective and quick air conditioning, the clean, uncluttered and mature dashboard design faded into the background. Those didn't matter.

Neither did the little areas that one might pick faults with IF that is the intention - because you really have to be looking for faults (nitpicking, in simple terms) if you were to overlook the well-engineered parts. For the record, the part I hated the most was the Steering Wheel itself, followed by the mode of ingress to the third row (which is a lot better than what its competition offers, though), and I think a 4x4 option is totally unnecessary in such a vehicle - they shouldn't have bothered.

This is a vehicle you can cruise in all day without any fuss, and its behavior on the road belies its size (or quoted weight). That to me is a superbly engineered product. If you were to overlook the sheer depth in design and engineering that have gone into the product and simply count 'features', the loss is yours.

This is no vehicle put together quickly and poorly to appeal to the lowest common denominator, with questionable design sensibilities and a bunch of tarted up gizmos that may or may not be used (or indeed keep working). Neither is this a vehicle that is being pushed mostly on brand name and/or resale value at an price that is well over the value it represents to end users.

You would buy a Hexa for the impeccable way in which it delivers its core competence as a supremely comfortable and competent mode of transportation that is also a pleasure to drive. Not for frills or features.

Well done, Tata Motors. You've grown up, and how!

Last edited by Steeroid : 26th January 2017 at 01:56.
Steeroid is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 01:50   #1039
Senior - BHPian

There was one thing i forgot to mention in my previous post regarding my experience at the BKC, Suspension ! It works pretty silently and nothing much filters inside the cabin, Unlike the XUV which will make you feel almost everything thats happening outside, I could feel this completely when the car was taken over 4-5 Huge Rumblers in the Off road experience and nothing at all filtered in the cabin, I was mighty impressed with the suspension actually. But then as an over all package like most of the review's too have said, Its the XUV which makes a better choice, though i feel only for those who want to drive them self.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 11:49   #1040
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors has received a significant number of bookings for their newly launched SUV-crossover, the Hexa. According to design head Pratap Bose, Tata is working on reducing the waiting period for Hexa customers, which currently stands at 2 months.

Quote:
Pratap Bose, design head, Tata Motors, said the Hexa has received significant bookings and the company was carrying out production to match the demand and was doing everything possible to start deliveries soon. He did not disclose the exact number of bookings for the Hexa but said the response was good.

The automatic variants of the Hexa has generated a lot of interest among customers, Bose said. The culture of weekend getaways is taken off in a big way and this combined with the need to travel within the city traffic during weekdays made the Hexa an attractive option, he said.

Bose was speaking at the launch of the Hexa in the Pune and rest of Maharashtra markets.

Tata Motors is wooing potential customers by taking the Hexa to their doorstep and making customers experience the cars. “This customized, personalized and dedicated service started with the Tiago and is being continued with the Hexa” he said.

Financial Express
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 13:07   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Looks like deliveries are commencing almost everywhere. Got a call from the dealer saying the car can be delivered in two days. But since loads of paper work is pending, it'll take atleast a week for me.
Could someone guide me to a thread which lists out any initial checks to be made while taking delivery? It would be really helpful. I searched but could not land on a proper post.
Congrats on the booking. Pls see here for the PDI checklist.
http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/pre-d...pdi-check-list

I followed it to the T when I bought my Elite I20 10 days ago and its worth its weight in gold.
Old 26th January 2017, 13:16   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
For Toyota, resale will definitely be between 65-70%, that 60% you quoted was too low for an Innova.

And for Tata you'll be lucky if you get 45%. This is true as per our market for TATA cars.

Even if we take as per your calculation, The earlier price difference of 6 lakhs is lost at the time of resale for the HEXA. This is what we've been telling from first, with 0% gain in owning a TATA vehicle, wouldn't it just be better if you bought an Innova first and not worry about anything else. Also there is a lot of snob value in owning a Toyota rather than a TATA vehicle.

If snob value is what one wants really, rather than going for a utilitarian Innova, he should get the Endy instead. Innova and all other Toyotas give you one thing: reliability. If Hexa would be as reliable, I don't know, but my dad's Zest, though being from the first lot, is as reliable as his previous car, the old Baleno. And old Baleno for me is benchmark in reliability and durability.
On the resale part, if I am gonna spend lesser today, I would want that over spending more now and getting it back through resale.
Moreover, Hexa is a better vehicle than the Innova, hands down. Why do I say so? GTO has mentioned and has got quoted a couple of times, still I quote him again, that the Hexa has best ride quality this side of the 1 Cr Rupees mark. Chassis, suspension, engine and gearbox is more or less a car for me. Going by the fact that 60% of the bookings have been for the auto, and even I would suggest one to go for the automatic any given day, all 4 listed component score above the Crysta. Other things that matter really are interior quality, space inside over all 3 rows and looks. In all these 3 areas, Hexa scores better too.
What else do you want? Brand name and snob value don't stand a chance against the real vehicle.
You can say that for my convenience I have chosen the 6 seater AT version for this comparison, but truly, that is the version I would buy if I were in market, or would suggest to my friends and colleagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

This is no vehicle put together quickly and poorly to appeal to the lowest common denominator, with questionable design sensibilities and a bunch of tarted up gizmos that may or may not be used (or indeed keep working). Neither is this a vehicle that is being pushed mostly on brand name and/or resale value at an price that is well over the value it represents to end users.

You would buy a Hexa for the impeccable way in which it delivers its core competence as a supremely comfortable and competent mode of transportation that is also a pleasure to drive. Not for frills or features.

Well done, Tata Motors. You've grown up, and how!
itsashishsharma is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 13:43   #1043
Senior - BHPian

I kind of agree with one of the comments earlier. People do seem to have got swayed by what is a combination of good starting price and great quality at the top end. The fact is, top end retailing over 20lakhs on road is not exactly cheap. Although it still is good value.

But it is fairly common to hear great quality and 15lakhs on road in a same sentence (not here in the forum though).

Fact is none of us have actually seen how the base variant looks like. Any images have been shared yet?
Old 26th January 2017, 15:04   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
The fact is, top end retailing over 20lakhs on road is not exactly cheap. Although it still is good value.

But it is fairly common to hear great quality and 15lakhs on road in a same sentence

Pardon my ignorance.
Which 6/7 seater cars costing around 15 lakhs OTR in India are spoken of having GREAT quality?

Also, in my opinion, both Mahindra and Tata are in the same boat when it comes to brand perception.
Both having a single premium offering (Xuv vs. Hexa) and the rest are pretty ordinary spread (Verito, Kuv, Tuv, Xylo, Scorpio, Bolt, Indigo, earlier Vista, Manza, respectively). Although Tata has shown tremendous improvement with Zest, Tiago and now Hexa.
I don't get excited on hearing Mahindra unlike other certain premium brands.
With that context, the Hexa scores over Xuv by having a superior core mechanical package and giving lower priority to features and bling.
Also, I feel that affordability factor is unfairly being brought into discussion in this thread.
Would be interesting to know how many customers cancel Hexa booking and go for Xuv in spite of knowing from various sources that Hexa is a better car when it comes to core competencies.

Cheers!
Old 26th January 2017, 15:59   #1045
BHPian

Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
and I think a 4x4 option is totally unnecessary in such a vehicle - they shouldn't have bothered t!

I totally agree with all points put forward by Steeroid. Ride quality and composure are indeed irrefutably supreme.

I beg to differ on the requirement of 4x4 on ' 'such'a vehicle.
IMHO, TATA actually offers a sensible variant lineup with both the manual and auto boxes available at the top variant.
The 4x4(rather AWD) can be seen as an optional add on available over the top variant manual at a premium of about 1.3 lacs (ex-showroom) without disturbing the remaining stacking order.
Those who do not wish to have that option can conveniently choose the XT 4x2 and save that 1.3l with no complaints/compromise.
As part of those who'd rather have it, I will choose the 4x4 'add on'. I feel unlike the Innova, hexa is not only a people mover MPV (which hexa does and does well).Hexa also slots itself as an aspirational lifestyle vehicle for the young family who would love to see this as a comfortable road tripper /overlander and would feel more confident with having the 4/4 for some mischief on beaten trails and detours. This 'crossover' genetics, I actually see as a USP in favour of the Hexa over, say the MPV Innova.
Unwarily driving the heavy hexa into loose sand or bad terrain, I'd rather have some drive on the front wheels to wriggle out.

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 26th January 2017 at 16:02.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 17:20   #1046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamateen46 View Post
Pardon my ignorance.
Pardon me!!

Where did I ever mention about any other vehicle here? I just said what I am hearing about Hexa.
Infact if you see my earlier posts in this thread, you will find that I am one of those who would have no qualms about buying a Hexa of I had that kind of money today.

However, Now that you have brought the comparison in, I would like to have your opinion on what do you feel about the lower variants of Hexa compared to XUV.
I already know that it has a class leading ride and all. But how good is the lower variant with different seat fabrics, only bench option for second row, lower powered engine etc when compared to the competition. More importantly do we have some photographs of the interiors for the non top version cars?

All this is not an effort to discredit Hexa, but to have an understanding.
Old 26th January 2017, 17:39   #1047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
That's almost everything in the car except the engine and the chasis. No point in crying foul.
My entire point was on the price difference between the entry variant and the top-end variants. Was just wondering how was the entry level priced so low despite being decently kitted.

BTW, not crying foul. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Whoa! you are forgetting many other features which really add VALUE to XT variant.

So if you add these features into your list then it will be a very clear picture and easy to digest what those additional 6 lakhs brings to you.

Also, FYI Crysta top end AT comes at a premium of 9.5 lakhs OTR.
And top end XUV 500 will set you back by 7.5 lakhs over and above the base variant.
Nope I have not forgotten any of these. If you read through I have listed the feature differences between the entry level and the top end variant.
Old 26th January 2017, 18:12   #1048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post

Nope I have not forgotten any of these. If you read through I have listed the feature differences between the entry level and the top end variant.
Yes, I've mentioned those differences only.
Old 26th January 2017, 19:24   #1049

I had done the test ride here in Lucknow.

A couple oif days back, my wife took a test ride in Pune. The model was the XT (top end manual). She was impressed by the vehicle, especially by the effortless power steering.

Two factors militated against acquiring a Hexa for the family. The first was the sheer size, specially the length. Driving in congested Pune, with its acute shortage of parking spaces, would cause her to increasingly opt for her TVS Jupiter scooter, rather than drive the Hexa.

The second was the price. We had the money to buy a car with an upper limit of about 11 lacs. The additional about 5 needed for the Hexa would need reducing some savings intended for the college education of my son.

So we shelved the Hexa plans and decided to get a VW Vento TDI Highline.

I have owned an Indigo LS (the very first model of 2004) and now have a Nano LX. Both cars were mechanically sound and gave trouble-free service. So I really pray that Tata will succeed with the Hexa.

@GTO. Thanks very much for that fantastic review - I had shown it to my wife and that is what motivated her to take the test ride.

Congrats to all those who have booked the car. Have faith in Tata and the product. Some initial niggles are to expected (yes, even from a Rs 1.5 million car) but if you are patient and make friends of the local Tata workshop, you'll be amazed at the concern the staff shows and the quality of their work.
docjoe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 20:44   #1050
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjoe View Post
but if you are patient and make friends of the local Tata workshop, you'll be amazed at the concern the staff shows and the quality of their work.
Big + to what you said. I had first hand experience of the same for the past 6 years, from the days of my Indica Vista to current ARIA.
In fact my experiance with TATA ASS is very good. Not only the concorde motors bangalore, but other dealers at Tirupati, Tiruchirapalli, Tanjavur, Indore, Bijapur, Sagar and some place in between Bihar-Jharkhand was very good.
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks