Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2023, 22:00   #6211
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
2. Car was standing in basement parking for 1.5 years as the seller was out of station. It has not been serviced since 2 years. I am planning to get it serviced next week. What should I get replaced in this service? oil and oil filter, air filter, coolant etc?
4. The ORVMs do not auto fold. On both ORVMs, there is small transparent sticker saying "Auto-fold". Should the ORVMs auto fold on lock/unlock the car?
5. TASS also said that battery needs replacement. I think it is stock battery. I do not find any issues in starting. Should I wait or get the replaced now itself?
6. The second row only folds, but it does not tumble. I have seen in official review that seats tumble too.
Sorry about the late response, thought will share some inputs which might be helpful:
If the car was in basement and no other issues just get the engine oil, air filter, coolant etc changed and the battery as well. Hexa is famous for giving up on battery suddenly. Amaron would cost you around 6K
ORVM(s) will auto fold in XT and XTA with a software update.
Second row tumble does not work properly in 1 out of every 5 Hexa(s). Unfortunate but true. Even in my one it this issue exists. A heavy dose of WD40 worked for few days but then again it has stopped tumbling. Interestingly the one on the driver side (60% split one) works very well!
busydrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 17:39   #6212
BHPian

My Hexa XT 4X4 has now completed 4 years and 40k kms.

It has continued to serve me wonderfully, effortlessly munching miles, lugging the occupants along in supreme comfort and safety.

Did a road trip around Gujarat (from Delhi) in Jan 23. Clocked around 3.5k kms in 9 days. Nil issues during the trip. FE (tanktop method) for the trip was 14.7 kmpl, at speeds of 80-100 mostly.

Got the 4 yearly major service done today. Engine oil + filter, Brake oil, Rear Axle oil and 4 suspension bushes were changed. Total cost was around 12.5k.

One niggle to report. The driver's side power window stopped working. Got it rectified at Palika Bhavan, Delhi. The issue was due to a plastic gear in the window lifting mechanism. This part being common across brands, was quickly sourced and replaced. Damages - 1.5k (TML has quoted 3k for changing the entire lifting mechanism).

Overall, after 4 years of ownership, I must say I am extremely happy with the decision of having gone for the Hexa, notwithstanding the fact that it has been discontinued. Hoping and wishing it will continue to serve me well for many more years to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-2-5.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-3-5.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-1-5.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-4-5.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-5-5.jpg  

nvldvr is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 11:18   #6213

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post

It has continued to serve me wonderfully, effortlessly munching miles, lugging the occupants along in supreme comfort and safety.
Very Nice and confidence inspiring to hear from a Hexa Owner. Enjoy the ride quality for many mote miles.

And not just TML, even many other OEM dealer service centres suggest replacement only, as they earn from spare part sales majorly.
Having gone through such experiences, my only approach i follow is to question that practice and get more details. And take it to a local FNG to assess the same. Roughly 70% of the cases are repairable or just requiring a replacement of a sub part.
King CMR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 13:15   #6214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post

Got the 4 yearly major service done today. Engine oil + filter, Brake oil, Rear Axle oil and 4 suspension bushes were changed. Total cost was around 12.5k.
Glad to see that you are enjoying the ownership of the Hexa since last four years. I wanted to know that whether you have replaced the both brake pads during any major services. If yes, what is the price of front and rear brake pads and how much kms they served you? The reason for asking is that I have done 3rd year major service at 40k Kms and SA suggested to replace the brake pads. According to him car can run another 5K kms before brake pads actually need replacement. The price quoted by him is Rs.5K per set plus labour charges. When I searched on Boodmo, I found OEM brake pads cost less that what SA quoted. Also OEM brake pads are RANE make and similar after market RANE brake pads are available at half rates than those OEM. So can we fit after market RANE brake pads without voiding warranty. I have extended warranty.
Old 13th February 2023, 14:27   #6215
BHPian

Quote:
I have got home a used Hexa XTA (Jan 2019 Registered, Dec 2018 manufactured, 24k on odo, single driver, 7 seater, Arizona Blue) this weekend as replacement of my totaled 2015 Safari Storme Vx 4x4.

Some observations/suggestions:
1. One of the tyres (235/55 R19 MRF Wanderer) has a cut near the alloy wheel. It is right rear tyre. I need to get it replaced. Should I replace only one tyre or two tyres on same axle? Current tyres could last 15k more kms as the tyres have good amount of tread left. The stepney is r16 or r17.
2. Car was standing in basement parking for 1.5 years as the seller was out of station. It has not been serviced since 2 years. I am planning to get it serviced next week. What should I get replaced in this service? oil and oil filter, air filter, coolant etc?
3. TASS during pre-purchase-inspection said that brake pads need replacement. How do I find out if the brake pads need replacement?
4. The ORVMs do not auto fold. On both ORVMs, there is small transparent sticker saying "Auto-fold". Should the ORVMs auto fold on lock/unlock the car?
5. TASS also said that battery needs replacement. I think it is stock battery. I do not find any issues in starting. Should I wait or get the replaced now itself?
6. The second row only folds, but it does not tumble. I have seen in official review that seats tumble too.
7. After getting the car serviced, I am planning to get it cleaned (exterior and interiors) at 3M. I had spent about an hour on cleaning interiors, and interiors look almost new, except for some places where my vacuum/brush/cloth could not reach. Will 3M be able to deep clean it? What is recommended for exterior and interiors?
8. Any other protective maintenance recommended for Hexa? Hoses, drive belts etc.?
Update:
Got the service done (last service was more than 2 years ago)

1. I am yet to replace the damaged tyre.

2. Got the service done. Engine oil, oil filter, air filter, all 3 wiper blades, brake inspection was done. Costed about 13k.

3. Did not replace brake pads yet.

4. ORVM auto-fold is not a necessity, so would let it be electric fold only.

5. Battery is working fine. I will replace it on first instance of it giving up.

6. Second row tumbles well, both left and right seats. I had not been moving the seat tumble lever properly.
speed79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 17:15   #6216
BHPian

Quote:
Update:
I am yet to replace the damaged tyre.
Replaced the damaged tyre last week to the same MRF Wanderer for 14.5K.

As compared to Storme, Hexa feels heavy, but the ride is much-much better. Hexa is a much improved vehicle over Storme, and I am enjoying every moment of driving it. The Sports mode is addictive. My wife who could not seat on second row seat of Storme, is happy to sit in second row in Hexa, owing to the much better and settled ride in Hexa.

Unless I need a place to park it, size is not a problem. In fact I feel more comfortable and tension-free driving Hexa than smaller Punch even in crowded roads.

I have a query. After service last month, I reset the trip-meter of Hexa. I am getting an average of about 8 kmpl. Earlier average over about 1500 kms was about 11.5 kmpl (previous owner). All my driving is in Bangalore City during peak office hours. Is it OK or is it expected?

Another query. My Storme Vx 4x4 (all 4 disc brakes) had highly confidence inspiring braking performance, but in Hexa it feels like the brakes are not so strong and effective? Is braking in Hexa not effective? TASS had asked me to change brake shoes in last service, but the brake shoes seemed good for may be another 10-15k kms, and I asked them not to replace the brake shoes.
speed79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 12:50   #6217
BHPian

Quote:
Replaced the damaged tyre last week to the same MRF Wanderer for 14.5K.

As compared to Storme, Hexa feels heavy, but the ride is much-much better. Hexa is a much improved vehicle over Storme, and I am enjoying every moment of driving it. The Sports mode is addictive. My wife who could not seat on second row seat of Storme, is happy to sit in second row in Hexa, owing to the much better and settled ride in Hexa.

Unless I need a place to park it, size is not a problem. In fact I feel more comfortable and tension-free driving Hexa than smaller Punch even in crowded roads.

I have a query. After service last month, I reset the trip-meter of Hexa. I am getting an average of about 8 kmpl. Earlier average over about 1500 kms was about 11.5 kmpl (previous owner). All my driving is in Bangalore City during peak office hours. Is it OK or is it expected?

Another query. My Storme Vx 4x4 (all 4 disc brakes) had highly confidence inspiring braking performance, but in Hexa it feels like the brakes are not so strong and effective? Is braking in Hexa not effective? TASS had asked me to change brake shoes in last service, but the brake shoes seemed good for may be another 10-15k kms, and I asked them not to replace the brake shoes.
I have a question on the Hexa's braking abilities, too.
Now 95% of the times, I have found it's braking to be effective, predictable, progressive and pretty confidence inspiring.

It's when the ABS kicks into action that I've seen some weird behavior. I owned an XUV500 for ten years, and in that whenever the wheels lost traction under braking, the ABS would very effectively bring back traction to the wheels, all the while slowing the car down.

In the Hexa though, I've found that when ABS is operating, there's close to zero braking, and the car hardly slows down! This also happens while braking over a sandy/slippery surface. Has anyone else noticed this behavior, or is it something specific to my car?
Old 6th April 2023, 20:37   #6218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaysrk View Post
In the Hexa though, I've found that when ABS is operating, there's close to zero braking, and the car hardly slows down! This also happens while braking over a sandy/slippery surface. Has anyone else noticed this behavior, or is it something specific to my car?
I don't think it's specific to your car. Hexa Automatics do not have ESP and can be a reason for this.
Old 6th April 2023, 23:31   #6219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
I don't think it's specific to your car. Hexa Automatics do not have ESP and can be a reason for this.
I always thought ESP is something that kicks in when the vehicle loses straight line stability/balance. Not sure if it has anything to do with regaining wheel traction...
Old 19th April 2023, 17:01   #6220
BHPian

Went for our first highway trip in Hexa XTA. Me, wife and 2 kids, from Bangalore to Yercaud.

Bangalore (Banaswadi) to Salem City, got an average of 18.9 kmpl. Used Cruise control set at 80 km/hr wherever road conditions permitted its usage. In Bangalore city traffic, for daily office commute I get about 9 kmpl, so this was a huge jump in average that I used to see on Hexa. Hexa handled everything thrown at it beautifully.

Now the gremlin. I occasionally use Sports mode while overtaking. While starting from Yercaud, I could not get the sports mode activated. Neither could I engage the Manual Mode. What could be wrong? Need to take her to TASS.
speed79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 01:13   #6221
BHPian

Hello Fellows

I wish to sell my Chandigarh registered Hexa XTA 2017.

Anybody interested in purchasing this well maintained beast can contact me.
My no. is 9888777five84

Also, if you know somebody who might be interested, kindly forward my details to him/her. I will be really obliged.

PS: I am in a bit of a hurry.
amritpal2489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 16:01   #6222
BHPian

I'm planning to replace tires on my Hexa, I'm currently running on stock Bridgestone Duelers (235/70 R16). I'm planning replace the current tires with Continental ContiCrossContact AX6. Should I replace them new Bridgestone Duelers or CCAX6 any good? I drive 80% on road and 20% mild off-road (planning to have a Leh/Ladakh trip sometime this year). Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 17th May 2023, 15:13   #6223
BHPian

Quote:
Now the gremlin. I occasionally use Sports mode while overtaking. While starting from Yercaud, I could not get the sports mode activated. Neither could I engage the Manual Mode. What could be wrong? Need to take her to TASS.
I did Bangalore-Munnar-Bangalore two weeks back. It was a relaxed trip with night halts at Coimbatore, as I did not want to repeat my mistake of Bangalore-Nagpur in one day which had costed me my beloved Storme. Hexa again proved its positive traits. As Manual mode in my Hexa XTA had stopped working, I was worried that I might have to use Manual mode in some steep climbs, which I did not fine anywhere.

Today I took Hexa to my regular TASS Emm Emm Motors to check for Sports and Manual mode of transmission not engaging. They connected the laptop, but did not find any error codes. There is no oil leak from the transmission. They said that can't do anything for it, and I can drive my Hexa in normal Auto Drive mode as long as it works. I am not sure if it is correct. I think there should be some switch at base of gear-stick which engages sports / manual mode when the gear stick is slotted to left side.

Also, TASS owner said that gearbox of Hexa automatic is not available anywhere. One cannot get a new automatic transmission of Hexa, if one needs it. As per him Tata is not able to source the Hexa auto transmission as GM has packed up and left India. I don't find this credible.

What should I do? Should I be worried? Did I make a mistake in buying Dec 2018 manufactured 24k run Hexa XTA for 13.75? The odo is currently at just 27k km.
speed79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 17:10   #6224

Quote:
As per him Tata is not able to source the Hexa auto transmission as GM has packed up and left India. I don't find this credible.
I don't think this is credible. The transmission is built by Punch Powertrain NV. Please refer to the video, exactly at 1 minute this is mentioned.

anil_rnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 18:14   #6225
BANNED

Quote:
As per him Tata is not able to source the Hexa auto transmission as GM has packed up and left India. I don't find this credible.
Absolute nonsense. The Hexa's AT Gearbox is the 6L50 sourced from Punch Poweglide of France. While this Gearbox is originally designed by GM, it was also independently manufactured by Punch Poweglide.

Fun fact, GM owned the company up until 2012 when it was acquired by Punch Metals International and renamed from "General Motors Strasbourg" to "Punch Powerglide"
nathanjdias is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks