Team-BHP - Tata Hexa : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Hexa : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/181903-tata-hexa-official-review-405.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prashant1286 (Post 5219948)
I have bought the car. Had got a detailed check up done at TASS and they gave a thumbs up.

Congrats, Prashant. Welcome to the Dicor club !

The Hexa is a beautiful vehicle and possibly the last of it's kind. May not have the gadgetry, but it has many other things going for it. We have had Tata's for the past 21 years, and no regrets (except selling off the Sumo, and also not buying a Tatamobile :) )

One quick query for the knowledgeable Hexa / Storme owners with Varicor 400 engine. This was discussed in one of online Hexa Groups .

Quote:

In your next service , do have your MDP values reset at TASS. It stands for Minimum Drive Pulse for values of injectors and manifold differential pressure for the turbocharger , both controlled by the ECU.

Over time the ECU stores data regarding type of fuel and impurities in it , learning from it and then altering drive pulses. This affects engine performance and efficiency. It ideally should be reset every two years or 20k km to achieve peak performance and mileage. TASS forgoes doing it because of lack of adequate BCM laptops in the Service Centres and the fact that very few people are qualified to do so, and also it will take time - time that can be gainfully utilised to attend to other cars at the Service Centre.

In the reset by the BCM laptop, all values will be reset to 0, helping in clearing PUC test too if vehicle is having issues.
What I'm curious to learn is whether this actually is the case? Ostensibly, it's supposed to be done free of cost. Will resetting MDP values really improve injector performance or is it just a figment of an overactive imagination? Anyone with knowledge on this may please pitch in. Also, will it have any unintended detrimental effects on performance or reliability?

Noob question.

Cheers !

The lumbar support in the driver seat of my 2018 Hexa has stopped working.
Visited the TATA authorised service center yesterday. After a round of inspection and leafing through documents/drawings, I was told that the lumbar support mechanism is not repairable and if I wanted I could change the seat (approx cost Rs. 24,000/-). Somehow, I find it difficult to accept. Hexa owners who have faced similar problem may kindly enlighten.

Query on behalf of my friend who has a Tata Hexa XE model. He feels the headlamp light output is inadequate. What is the simplest and safest upgrade ?

**I enquired with another knowledgeable BHPian offline who told me the best would be to go with Osram H7 Bulbs and not to change anything else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvldvr (Post 4540564)
Finally after a pretty long period of waiting, interspersed with lots of research, I bought the Hexa 4x4 XT on 26 Dec 18. So here goes my initial ownership review.

Update on my Hexa.

It's been around 3 years and 20000 kms now with my Hexa XT 4x4.

It has been an amazing ownership experience. The Hexa has well and truely lived up to the expectations that I had while buying it. Ride comfort, superb seating in all rows and the ability to smother any kinds of roads, it has it all.

There have been no niggles, except a cracked tail pipe, which was replaced under warranty.

Visits to TASS have been only for scheduled services. The last one was a major service (TASS terms six monthly services as minor, and the yearly ones as major). It involved change of Engine Oil & Filter, Fuel Filter, Coolant, Tx Oil and Brake Fluid. The cost was around 13k.

Have been getting the tyre rotations/ alignment done from outside TASS every 5k kms.

Had a burst tyre at around 17k, a couple of months back. Was going around a tight corner, where a cycle rickshaw was parked. I misjudged, and a sharp metal protusion on the rickshaw tore the side wall of the rear left tyre (Michelin LTX Force, 235/70/16).

I was running on Michelins on all 4 wheels, with an unused Bridgestone Dueler as stepney. Replaced the torn tyre with a Bridgestone dueler. Also, have put the Bridgestone from Stepney in use in pair with the new tyre, and have relegated one Michelin as stepney. So running with two Michelins on one axle, and two Bridgestones on the other now.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 5222660)
Query on behalf of my friend who has a Tata Hexa XE model. He feels the headlamp light output is inadequate. What is the simplest and safest upgrade ?

**I enquired with another knowledgeable BHPian offline who told me the best would be to go with Osram H7 Bulbs and not to change anything else.

Every Hexa owner knows the lights are inadequate.
The general recommendation from other fellow Group members is to go for UGlare HID kits with canbus support for XT/XTA. I assume since your friend has the XE model, that's the reason he doesnt have default HIDs in the Low Lights so in that case you can go for the replacement of bulbs in your reflectors.
Safest choice would be to look for alternate options within the rated wattage range for XE (I don't know / don't remember) so that it can be a simple plug and play replacement instead of wire cuttings. Stay with Yellow lights in the range of 4500K range, white lights are terrible for rains / fogs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 5222660)

My current setup is all LEDs in low, high and fogs. Fogs are actually better than low beams post upgrading to LEDs. All plug and play. Completely satisfied compared to what was stock. I don’t think it can get better, unless I setup extra aux lights.

As far as rains are concerned, can’t say. Haven’t driven much in the dark during rains. But I believe the current setup would suffice to bail me out, just in case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 5210094)
Query on behalf of a friend who has a Hexa XE model.
Need suggestions for:
1. Rear camera with display (I think the OEM infotainment system display is too small so it will need a separate display unit?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 5210230)
Since these queries may not be really Hexa specific and more generic due to the accessories you have asked I am pitching in.
The OE HU screen was around 5". This should still be sufficient as long as the camera is of good quality. Look no further than what is offered by Blaupunkt. They are the best aftermarket reverse camera.

The XE has a monochrome HU screen that may be 5" wide but very short, will not suffice for reverse camera display.

Anyone here on the forum who got a reverse camera with external display fixed on their Tata Hexa XE ? Would like to get details of the setup and placement of the display on the dashboard.

**Alternatively, is it a good idea to upgrade the HU (again, question is upgrade to what brand/model), then get a reverse camera that integrates with the HU ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 5219969)
Congrats, Prashant. Welcome to the Dicor club !

The Hexa is a beautiful vehicle and possibly the last of it's kind. May not have the gadgetry, but it has many other things going for it. We have had Tata's for the past 21 years, and no regrets (except selling off the Sumo, and also not buying a Tatamobile :) )

Thank you Condor!

It is indeed a beautiful vehicle. I have driven it for approximately 3700 kms over the fortnight. As of now, I am deeply contented with my decision of buying this car. I just hope that my experience with Tata is as satisfying as yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TROOPER (Post 5225141)
My current setup is all LEDs in low, high and fogs. Fogs are actually better than low beams post upgrading to LEDs. All plug and play. Completely satisfied compared to what was stock. I don’t think it can get better, unless I setup extra aux lights.

As far as rains are concerned, can’t say. Haven’t driven much in the dark during rains. But I believe the current setup would suffice to bail me out, just in case.

I was also looking for such upgrade for Hexa as I too feel light is inadequate. Can you please share details of the mods you have carried out with some pictures? Also have you confirmed any future warranty issue with this modification.

Had got myself a used Hexa XTA (2017) from Spinny in October 2021. Had a relatively trouble free run for about 3800 Kms, post which started noticing in end-December that the vehicle was not slotting into the parking mode most of the times. It would require a hard push on the lever to slot it in.

Since the car has both Spinny warranty for transmission/engine and also has extended warranty by Tata till December 2022 showed it to Tata ASS and they gave a slot for 1st week of January. The diagnosis by the ASS is to get the gear lever assembly changed (costing about Rs.85000 :Shockked:), currently its sitting in the workshop (KHT Motors, Bengaluru) for assessment by Tata Motors if its gonna be covered by their EW or not. In case they come back negative to cover the cost in EW have to take the point with Spinny to get the cost covered by them.

The car as such is a dream to drive and the gearbox is stress-free. Had a long drive of 2600 Kms in the Christmas week and the family loved it. The problem with the gear lever showed up exactly when I parked the Hexa in my home parking after the long drive.:Frustrati

Did a 2700 km road trip on the Hexa recently.

This was my first really long trip in the Hexa, something that I had been looking forward to for quite a while.

The Hexa performed impeccably, and carried the family around in supreme comfort.

I have always been driving in the default "Auto" mode. However, in the second/ return half of this trip, thought of trying out the "Comfort" mode as well.

The results in terms of jump in fuel efficiency were staggerring. While in the onwards journey, I never got more than 15 kmpl, in the return journey, I was able to easily achieve 19 kmpl. These are figures as per MID. Checked the mileage with tank top method also, and the figures were 2 kmpl less than MID figures on all occassions.

The overall tanktop FE for the entire journey was around 15.6 kmpl.

The increase in FE with comfort mode was at the cost of minimal/ slight reduction in throttle response. Never had to worry about overtaking manoevures.

Adding a few pics. Cheers.

Finally finished going through every single one of the 405 pages of this thread and almost every other thread that had Hexa in its title. I am from Kerala. Have been searching for a used Tata Hexa on various platforms for a while now, but I am unable to find one that fits in my budget and that meets my requirements. I have even made a post on the thread that was made about buying pre owned Hexa but the search has not led to a positive outcome till now. The model is very hard to come across in Kerala. Now I have shortlisted 2 cars from OLX. But both cars are over 100km away from my home. So I just wanted to have a clear picture about what should I expect when making an offer when go and see it in person and I thought this would be the right place to ask for advice.
1. 2017 XT model with captain seats. Driven around 40000 km. Currently under 2nd ownership. The owner claims to have complete service history with him but i am worried about the fact that i will be the 3rd owner, so when the time comes to sell this one off, it will be a negative.
2. 2019 XM PLUS model. Driven around 8000 km only. Under warranty till 2022 December.
What should be the price I should be looking at for these cars if they are found to be in a satisfactory condition?
What all are the matters that I should be looking for when evaluating a used Hexa?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepsc (Post 5227383)
I was also looking for such upgrade for Hexa as I too feel light is inadequate. Can you please share details of the mods you have carried out with some pictures? Also have you confirmed any future warranty issue with this modification.

You can join the Hexa Telegram groups for pics and recommendations. If budget isn’t an issue then Uglare has excellent LEDs, as well as HID kits for the low beams. But you’d need assistance for HIDs. They can be a pain.

No issues with warranty. I got my LEDs installed at TASS itself. That too at Tata’s halogen bulb installation charges. :) For fog lamps, I switched to LEDs for 3800/- from an accessories shop at Borivali, and they’re currently more effective than the low beams with LEDs. So I use them together outside city limits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic.dwarf (Post 5232487)
What all are the matters that I should be looking for when evaluating a used Hexa?

Obviously the XM looks like a better pick, considering it’s newer and low mileage, and you still have time to pay for and get the extended warranty.

Some issues to look out for:
Exhaust cracking, and in worse cases falling off as one is driving.
The engine head issue. You can check for the same on this thread.
Since the car is under standard warranty, most issues if any, can be sorted with the help of an empathetic TASS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandtheleo (Post 5230737)
Had got myself a used Hexa XTA (2017) from Spinny in October 2021. Had a relatively trouble free run for about 3800 Kms, post which started noticing in end-December that the vehicle was not slotting into the parking mode most of the times. It would require a hard push on the lever to slot it in.

The issue is now resolved, details in the link below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5236025