Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 14:59   #5881
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

If M&M can sell seven seaters like Marazzo, Scorpio, XUV, Bolero at the same time and if Toyota can upgrade Innova and continue to be the market leader what is preventing TML to upgrade Hexa and relaunch in BS6 form? Apart from both being 7 seaters everything else is different between new Safari and Hexa say the engine or drive or dynamics. They have to price it properly, tag it and market it towards target audience. If TML cannot continue such a well made product beyond 3 years then what confidence will it leave for a buyer to spend 20 lakh plus for its upcoming products. The company needs to stand by its product.
Mile_Breaker is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 15:21   #5882
BHPian

Financial stuff aside, the whole Hexa vs the now Safari debate about having 2 6-7 seater cars in the portfolio would dent the “Safari’s” sales seems nonsensical. Having both on the showroom floors would have given customers options to choose from. A prospective customer looking for a serious 6/7 seater wouldn’t get the Safari. The Hexa would have been a great option. Didn’t GTO himself say this on the Altroz review thread? “If you don’t cannibalize yourself, someone else will gladly do it for you.” In the meantime, the Innova keeps getting atrociously priced.

Came back from a 2 day 640+ km trip yesterday. And the better half of my trip was spent pondering on whether Tata are just plain lazy or stupid.

The ride, the handling on ghat roads without my mom being tossed around on the captain seat, the economy (15.5+ tankful), the comfort, gliding over some non existent patches of state and national highways (only for the Cretas and Seltos and other pseudos to limp and stare), the pleasant music system. It only made me wonder why would Tata just can such a good product.

If yearly self goal awards were to be handed out, Tata would receive 2. One for destroying a good brand name, the Safari and another for a product, the Hexa.
TROOPER is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 21:50   #5883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile_Breaker View Post
The company needs to stand by its product.
And its existing customers. For a local OEM like Tata who doesn't have a global customer base, taking care of your small, local and loyal fanbase is of paramount importance. Why couldn't they find alternate niche customers (airline fleets, airport maintenance fleets, taxi fleets, hotel fleets) if not mainstream customers to keep the car going?? Heck, take clues from the American OEMs who offer buybacks for older models in exchange for a newer model. Quite a few Hexa owners will happily trade in their cars at a fair market price for a new Safari/Harrier in the next few months to avoid taking a hit on the resale a year down the line. This helps build trust in the brand and also helps getting the new models out into the market. Trust is what Tata needs at this point of time and they just don't seem to get it.

Tata needs to really pull up their socks in this regard. They make a laughing stock out of their existing customers time and again. Just a year ago they screwed over the v1.0 Harrier owners by offering a far better v2.0 car within a short span of time. Now they have screwed over the Hexa owners. Every single person who asked me not to get the Hexa will now have a "I told you so" answer for me. GM, Harley, Honda etc have the luxury of being global OEMs and a few disgruntled Indian customers don't affect them much at the end of the day. Not for Tata though. I am pretty current Hexa owners will think 10 times before buying another Tata product be it the Harrier or the Safari. I am one of them.

I really like the Safari but I won't bother with it anymore. Who knows, I sell the Hexa and buy the Safari this year. The Safari doesn't sell well. They discontinue it and bring back the Hexa and I get doubly screwed. With Tata anything is possible.
yd_gli is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:41   #5884
BHPian

The love and admiration for the Hexa is so much, that a fellow owner has started a petition requesting Tata to relaunch the Hexa.

Link: https://www.change.org/p/ratan-tata-...c-395589f24426

While I personally plan on a long ownership, many owners are concerned with resale and availability of spares. Tata’s excuse to not bring back the Hexa sounds pretty lame, and it’s a disservice considering Hexa owners were the first ones to spend 2 million bucks on a Tata product. Definitely not how you build a brand or handle a good product.
TROOPER is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 16:47   #5885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
The love and admiration for the Hexa is so much, that a fellow owner has started a petition requesting Tata to relaunch the Hexa.
Cannot thank you enough for putting this here. I wanted to put it myself however was not sure if it conforms with our TBhp guidelines.
I definitely support this, love the car and would definitely like to see it resurrect. There is nothing fundamentally wrong in the platform. Just some tweaks can help reposition the Hexa in the portfolio again. Someone earlier mentioned, New Safari (4X2) can be the lifestyle choice and Hexa can be the rugged cruiser option (4X4 + AT). I firmly believe there is potential.
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 17:20   #5886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Many owners are concerned with resale
Service center guy called me a few days back saying someone was willing to buy my 59k run 2018 XTA for 14 lakhs. I was actually really surprised because I was expecting more like 8 or 9 lakhs.

Looks like the used market is just fine for the Hexa. And I dont think its because its some great product or anything but its more because the rest of the cars have become super expensive and at 12 or 14 lakhs this becomes a real value for money purchase.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 22:03   #5887
BHPian

All boils down to stupid product planning and not the product. I bought a Hexa in 2020 after doing a neutral research and finding value in that investment. Mahindra can have Bolero, XUV and Scorpio in the same showroom catering to different set of customers. As we all know nextgen XUV and Scorpio are on different platforms all together. Similar approach TML could have taken to hold customers who are willing to consider Tata products. Axing products without a proper long term plan doesn't set the right vibes in customer community.
Old 18th January 2021, 07:12   #5888
Senior - BHPian

My car was stopped yesterday for having sunblinds. Apparently, as per the latest cour order, Hexa's middle row sunblinds are illegal and should not be used. They did not fine me yesterday. But told not to use it anymore. And was surprised to find my car's picture in today's paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-20210118_070953.jpg  

padmrajravi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 13:07   #5889
BHPian

Completed one year of enjoyful ownership of my Hexa. Enjoying every moment of driving this beast. The best part of driving the Hexa is it keeps smile on your face the moment you are behind the wheel. Due to lockdown and being on covid duty since last seven months, could not get much time to drive it. But whenever I drive it, Hexa just impresses me with its excellent ride quality. You don’t have worry about road condition when you are driving Hexa. When other cars are slowed down on bad road, Hexa just glides over them without any hiccups. I can vouch for this because i myself have experienced this.

If I have to nitpick some not so good part about Hexa then I will say there is some rattling noise coming from third row seat and hard 1st and 2nd gear shifting.

Only regret for me with Hexa is that now the Hexa is being discontinued and has created doubts in my mind over its long term ownership. A great product like Hexa is ruined because of marketing goof ups and Tata not trusting their own products.

Between I am planning to install few accessories such as 3D or 7D mats, damping of doors, side steps etc. Any recommendations from fellow Hexa owners are welcomed in this regard.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-20210115_170820.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20210115_170829.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20210115_170846.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20210115_170902.jpg
sandeepsc is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 14:25   #5890
BHPian

hi fellow Hexa owners.

This is my first post here after approval of membership, but following this thread for more than 2 years, request insights on below.

I drive XM, roughly 2 year old with 19k on odo. The issue is the engine struggles to revv beyond 2000rpm and around 2.5k seems the engine is going to blow to pieces. This cropped up around 8 months into ownership, later there was Covid, but still running around 500km/month.

Recently serviced and SA said nothings wrong and Hexa is like that. And I face gargling issue, turbo lag, very notchy 1-2 gears and some spring back of clutch.

I tried single channel RD box but no improvement, also spoke to Wolfmoto on remap and gains doesnt seem to alter the driveability that I was looking for.
Old 26th January 2021, 15:35   #5891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
hi fellow Hexa owners.

I drive XM, roughly 2 year old with 19k on odo. The issue is the engine struggles to revv beyond 2000rpm and around 2.5k seems the engine is going to blow to pieces. This cropped up around 8 months into ownership, later there was Covid, but still running around 500km/month.
This is a very typical issue, do you see any warning lights saying drive system fault?

The 1st and 2ng gears are notchy in Hexa, however the service advisor should be able to adjust it. The spring if not fixed properly can make the clutch very hard and ultimately the spring may pop out.

Was trying to IM you but it seems you are not able to receive messages.

-PK
pk_del is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 16:22   #5892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
This is a very typical issue, do you see any warning lights saying drive system fault?

-PK
Thanks pk_del for the response.
Till date no warning lights, no parts replaced except brake pads and religiously run in when new. I have owned and driven other diesels, but never came across this issue.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 27th January 2021 at 09:50. Reason: Fixed punctuation.
Old 26th January 2021, 19:08   #5893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
thanks pk_del for the response.
till date no warning lights, no parts replaced except brake pads and religiously run in when new. i have owned and driven other diesels, but never came across this issue.
Does it rev beyond 2500 while in neutral ? Is the problem only while moving or the engine never goes beyond 2.5k in even neutral ?

You should try visiting a different TASS. And escalate this to the extend possible. My Hexa revs till 3.5k effortlessly. Hexa's middle rpm range grunt is why we bought it for. Don't let anyone tell you all Hexas struggles above 2.5. That is certainly not the case. There is something wrong here. Ask TASS to scan it . Even if there are no warning lights, there may be an error stored.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 26th January 2021 at 19:11.
Old 27th January 2021, 09:45   #5894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Does it rev beyond 2500 while in neutral ? Is the problem only while moving or the engine never goes beyond 2.5k in even neutral?
Thanks padmrajravi for the response.

It happens both in N and while driving. The climb after 2.5k is so slow and by this time, there is so much engine noise, that my neighbours now call this a truck.

Unfortunately this is the second TASS i got car checked and I havent heard good things on third TASS from my cousins who own other Tata cars. Anyways, I will still give a try, lets see if something comes up.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th January 2021 at 09:48. Reason: quote box fixed
Old 29th January 2021, 18:33   #5895
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately this is the second TASS i got car checked
Your location says Bangalore. Where did you get it checked? Did you try Prerana Kudlu Gate?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks