Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2020, 16:29   #5791
BHPian

Just got my Hexa back after routine service. It's amazing how much more refined it is now. It seems like you're experience with the dealership is either a hit or a miss. The dealership has changed hands and seems to have improved in the tech department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelravin View Post
I used to service my HEXA XMA at Concorde ECR as well. I got a call from Laxmi Motors on ECR (same place) as well and the work they did was quite professionally carried out. They seriously need to do something about the Lorry Dhaba ambience in the customer lounge.Not sure if its parts of a larger problem or a random one-off case. Great car otherwise! Great to drive and tireless over full-day journeys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
BTW, my business partner's Hexa XMA is going through a engine head replacement under warranty at 40,000 kms. He had given for routine service and was surprised to get a call from the dealership saying head has to be replaced and it will be covered under warranty. The alternator has already been replaced under warranty earlier. Typicall Tata gremlins, I guess.
Checked with my dealer and the Service Manager said the problem existed in a certain batch. They were asked to replace the head on an 'if needed' basis.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st October 2020 at 17:58. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 21st October 2020, 17:59   #5792
BHPian

Varicor 400 : Engine Head / Exhaust Manifold oil Leak Issue and Head Replacement by Tata

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelravin View Post

---- snip-----

I remember seeing a random thread about a Hexa head replacement. That has just happened to my Hexa XMA which is one year old and run 45000km. I sent the car to the dealer to check on an irregular sound which was found to be the water pump and that was changed under warranty. They said there was an oil leak found on the exhaust manifold side and Tata Motors has asked them to replace the full head under warranty. Not sure if its parts of a larger problem or a random one-off case. Great car otherwise! Great to drive and tireless over full-day journeys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
BTW, my business partner's Hexa XMA is going through a engine head replacement under warranty at 40,000 kms. He had given for routine service and was surprised to get a call from the dealership saying head has to be replaced and it will be covered under warranty. The alternator has already been replaced under warranty earlier. Typicall Tata gremlins, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Checked with my dealer and the Service Manager said the problem existed in a certain batch. They were asked to replace the head on an 'if needed' basis.
Any idea which batch? Or is it a selective, silent recall/ rectification - a courtesy extended to those who bring it up?
And what exactly is the problem - leak from the head / exhaust manifold? Would be nice if other Hexa owners here could please throw some light on this. . Is it happening in the the other Varicor 400s too ? Here are a couple of vides about the same.

Cheers !

Video Courtesy : YouTube, Respective owners
Old 21st October 2020, 19:47   #5793
BHPian

Re: Varicor 400 : Engine Head / Exhaust Manifold oil Leak Issue and Head Replacement by Tata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Any idea which batch? Or is it a selective, silent recall/ rectification - a courtesy extended to those who bring it up?
And what exactly is the problem - leak from the head / exhaust manifold? Would be nice if other Hexa owners here could please throw some light on this. . Is it happening in the the other Varicor 400s too ? Here are a couple of vides about the same.
Here's a brief description of this issue : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4802838 (Tata Hexa : Official Review)

This has been discussed extensively in Thor groups and seems to be quite random in 2017, 2018 make Hexas. Not limited to specific batches. Seen in Safaris too. Tata themselves are unsure which cars could be affected. Some engine heads are changed preemptively while the rest are changed once the leaking begins.

I don't think I know of any XE owner having an engine head replaced. Reason being that the XE comes in 320NM tune.

As an owner who wishes to keep the Hexa over 5 years, I myself am keeping track of this, if in case something like this happens after 5 years, Tata better do it in goodwill.
TROOPER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 13:27   #5794
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

I was just checking out for hexa on TBHP (reviews and ownership reports) as I am contemplating between Hexa and Harrier.

I wanted to also get official information from TaMo website. To my surprise, the Hexa has vanished from TaMo website as well as from websites like Carwale (where I can't check the on road prize for Hexa.

Is the car discontinued? Or is it a known fact on forum and I am just being caught napping
DreamsUnlimited is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 13:34   #5795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsUnlimited View Post
Is the car discontinued? Or is it a known fact on forum and I am just being caught napping
Discontinued.

Mostly known fact.

Napping.

However a pre-worshipped Hexa is still considered an excellent option on the forum.*wink*

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...tata-hexa.html (Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa)
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 14:32   #5796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Discontinued.

Mostly known fact.

Napping.

However a pre-worshipped Hexa is still considered an excellent option on the forum.*wink*

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...tata-hexa.html (Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa)
Thanks, ashis89, need to spend a bit more time on tbhp
Old 31st October 2020, 18:28   #5797
BHPian

Guys, has anyone upgraded from the Hexa. If yes to which car? Mine's at almost 60k now and the upgrade bug has started. I test drove the Fortuner and Endeavour and they both don't seem like an upgrade at all. Thought of going back to a sedan but I can't find any good diesel automatics. Would love to hear from you folks. Thank you.
Old 31st October 2020, 21:07   #5798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
Guys, has anyone upgraded from the Hexa. If yes to which car? Mine's at almost 60k now and the upgrade bug has started. I test drove the Fortuner and Endeavour and they both don't seem like an upgrade at all. Thought of going back to a sedan but I can't find any good diesel automatics. Would love to hear from you folks. Thank you.
Now that my Hexa is at 90k km, I have also given some thought to the upgrade question. Hexa is so good that finding a better product is very difficult. As you rightly mention, Endeavour and Fortuner are no upgrades. In fact, I objectively consider the Toyota to be a downgrade in terms of space, comfort, ride, interiors and cabin quality.

The only potential candidate I could think of for seating 6 or 7 people in equivalent or better comfort is the Kia Carnival. Otherwise you’ll have to go all the way up to the Mercedes GLS. There is nothing else which fits the bill.

PS: The poor man’s GLS, ie, the MG Gloster just might be something that can be considered.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 31st October 2020 at 21:10.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 07:45   #5799
BANNED

We have a Hexa XTA done about 25000kms. I checked for the leakage sign at the first exhaust port and I am afraid to say but I see slight oil. I think it is the start of issue mentioned before in this thread. I am thinking of raising issue for head replacement. Does anyone have idea if Tata is replacing fully built head or only the casting is changed and all other minor parts are used from old head. If it is not a fully built head replacement I am not confident of reliability and will think of selling it.
Old 1st November 2020, 09:37   #5800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
If you're looking for a body on frame vehicle then you have very few options. But the Harrier 7seat will be a good choice if you can wait for it. May not be a typical upgrade but atleast something that is better than the Endeavour and Fortuner. No 4x4 and it's front wheel drive though.
studedude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 10:16   #5801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
If you're looking for a body on frame vehicle then you have very few options. But the Harrier 7seat will be a good choice if you can wait for it. May not be a typical upgrade but atleast something that is better than the Endeavour and Fortuner. No 4x4 and it's front wheel drive though.
After extensive test drives of the Harrier 2020, my take is that the Harrier is a bit inferior to the Hexa on many counts. These differences might not be visible to people used to other cars but are evident to us Hexa people. Hexa, admittedly BS4, the engine is punchier and more refined. The automatic is more responsive. The cabin is quieter, the ride quality is better. The cabin ambience with soft touch everything feels more premium. Hexa rear bench is wider, has adjustable recline angle and better support. The captain seat variant takes it to the next level altogether. Harrier also misses out on rear sun blinds and extendable sun visors.

The Harrier is overall a superior product than the Creta, Seltos and Hector. But as a 4 or 5 seater it is, I’ll say only 90% as good as Hexa. Almost all these points will be carried over to the Gravitas. And it’s third row is expected to be tiny, while the Hexa can seat two adults comfortably for hours. It’s a matter of prospective but I don’t see either Harrier or Gravitas as an upgrade over the Hexa. Upgrade being the key word.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 1st November 2020 at 10:17.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 14:49   #5802
BHPian

Tata motors looks like a company that has insiders being paid to destroy competent products.

I find it totally amusing that Tata motors decided to scrap the Hexa and focus on a 5+2 Harrier. I mean, they spent at least a hundred crores on conducting Hexa offroad events in all major cities. Yet they axed it in 3 years

Mahindra updated even the Bolero to BS6.
One reason why I will never buy a Tata again, despite their good products, is because they just do not do justice to the brand value they create. It looks like their corporate strategy teams are shuffled around to ruin new products.

They destroyed the Manza, despite it being a capable sedan. They destroyed the Nano, despite the later editions getting good reviews. They destroyed the JTP Tiago and Tigor, instead of trying to make them more mainstream.

The Hexa is a fantastic product and this is evident in the used car market. No discontinued car holds its value, but look at the Hexa. Even the XE sells at over 8 lakhs for a good example after 3 years, which is a big deal when you consider the original price of Rs. 11-12 lakhs.
Cessna182 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 23:04   #5803
Senior - BHPian

I fully agree with @Cessna182

Estate, Sierra, Safari/ Hexa, Sumo & Manza all these products had USPs, which attracted buyers. It was other issues that negatively impacted the ownership experience (s). They should have kept these nameplates & platforms alive. The modern day iterations could have been as under:

1. Estate - High Riding Coupe-ish passenger vehicle (Station Wagon) in 10-15 Lakhs price range.
2. Sierra - Modern Body on Frame 2-Door Luxury SUV with on road prices upto 20 lakhs.
3. Safari/ Hexa - Premium 4-Door SUV based on Range Rover platform with prices upto 25 (-ish) Lakhs for fully loaded variant.
4. Sumo - Multiple variants, catering to different set of drivers - hardcore budget off- roaders (Gurkha/ That Competition) with 4-door variants, people carrier, multipurpose vehicle (security, medical, research & misc duties). Probably the biggest lineup in Tata stable.
5. Manza - Full size executive saloon with prices upto 12.5 Lakhs.

I also believe that they should have not dumped Nano. Rather, kept it alive in the segment it was competing with incremental updates, at higher price point. There could have been a quadricycle spin-off variant to replace the rickety 3-wheelers for slightly more safer public transport.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 1st November 2020 at 23:07. Reason: Formatting
CARDEEP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 13:30   #5804
Senior - BHPian

Which service center in Hyderabad is recommended for hexa service. Need to get my front suspension bushes replaced before going back to Bangalore
Old 7th November 2020, 14:09   #5805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Which service center in Hyderabad is recommended for hexa service. Need to get my front suspension bushes replaced before going back to Bangalore
Which part of Hyderabad? I used to service my Nano in Venkataramana Motors (TASS) in Kondapur (road opposite to RTA office/ Renault showroom - has power transmission towers through the road's stretch).

The service was good, though check parts availability over phone - they made me wait 6 months for the Nano's spark plug and HT connector replacement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks