Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2019, 10:36   #5161
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
It is definitely welcome news that Hexa gets to live in the upcoming BS6 era but at the same time is there any news on what's in store to meet the crash test norms? I thought the whole point of Alpha and Omega monocoque platforms was to make lighter and stiffer cars that are more efficient and also perform better in the event of a collision.
Don't worry mate. Hexa meets all the necessary crash norms of the present and the immediate future.

The Alpha and Omega platforms were developed to have modularity. Basically they wanted to have different body styles on the same platform to achieve cost savings. It's the same as VW's MQB/MLB/MSB platforms or Maruti's Heartect platform. I do agree that monocoque platforms perform better in the event of a crash plus they are lightweight aiding fuel efficiency, emissions, ride and handling and what not. But end of the day if you want to have a rugged 4×4 in your lineup, body on frame is the way to go.
ram87pune is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 11:55   #5162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
On another note, I am getting jealous of that new touchscreen HU. Any chance we can have that new HU fitted in our 2017 and 18 cars?
I had the same question. The 5 inch screen on such a mammoth is a disgrace. Even 7 inch is just passable. I would like a 10 inch floating display.
Old 5th November 2019, 12:19   #5163
Distinguished - BHPian

Well the larger new HU can very much be installed in the older Hexa. However - the OEM piece will be stupendously costly & simply not worth the price. It would be better to continue with current system and live out the warranty. Then replace it with a nice large Sony or similar head unit with AA/ACP. These integrate fully with all Tata car steering mounted controls as well. So no features would be lost.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 13:06   #5164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Congratulations! Lovely colour. Good to see that the dedicated parking sensor button is retained in the HEXA XM+'s console. The XM+ indeed is the most VFM package on the Hexa now unless one want that cool TC autobox.

EDIT - PS: In the penultimate picture in the ones you posted - from exactly behind the car; the chrome rear applique seems to be slightly bent/deformed on the RHS. The reflection on it is quite mangled compared to the one on LHS. Do check that out please. If its negligible and only visible in such camera photos, its fine to live with. But if its visible even to the naked eye from any angle, do get it reported, noted & replaced at 1st service if possible.
Thanks Reinhard. Yes, its the most VFM variant. Costs 1.30 lacs more than XM, however the features it offers is well worth the price. I had compared neck to neck between both the variants using the latest brochure, total of 17 additional features/chrome touches are present in XM+.

Regarding the Parking sensor button, it activates the rear view camera while the car is in motion. Probably helpful in bumper to bumper traffic to check if any motorist is very close to your car.

Also the rear chrome applique is perfectly fine, maybe you felt it due to bent fences in the reflection. I have taken a walkaround video of the car in sunshade. Did not find any such issue.
Satshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 13:22   #5165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
Regarding the Parking sensor button, it activates the rear view camera while the car is in motion. Probably helpful in bumper to bumper traffic to check if any motorist is very close to your car.
Yes it really is a useful feature. I use it all the time. It really helps in bumper to bumper traffic. It also helps when someone is tailgating you on the highway and you need to focus on the road ahead, in that case just a quick glance at the screen is all you need to watch your back. I think Hexa is one of the rare cars in the Indian market where pressing the parking sensor button activates the rear camera as well.
ram87pune is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 15:02   #5166
Senior - BHPian

I just saw a Hexa in Arizona blue getting repainted by my local painter. It's such a lovely colour !! Blue with some green and cyan flecks visible at some angles. It looks awesome in the light.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 15:30   #5167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
I think Hexa is one of the rare cars in the Indian market where pressing the parking sensor button activates the rear camera as well.
Yes Tata has paid a lot of attention to details for such small but useful features, but now Hexa is not the rare one anymore. Seltos also has this feature.
Old 5th November 2019, 16:29   #5168
BHPian

I have recently upgraded to a Land Rover Discovery Sport, after owning a Hexa XTA for about 2.5 years. Driving around in a car which costs 3 times as much as a Hexa, one really appreciates how much Tata has given in a car costing 22 lakhs.
I am not talking about the features or the lack of it, only in reference with the basic platform and architecture. The primary being ride and handling. The Hexa rides almost as good as the Discovery Sport and that's a big deal, in an almost 5 meter body on frame construction. The build quality of the Hexa is almost as good as the sport, that speaks volumes of the sound insulation, the fit and fitment, quality of materials and damping used. The automatic gearbox in the Hexa, even though is only a 6 speed, is still good enough in comparison to the discovery sport's 9 speed ZF unit, that's saying something. The 2.2 liter dDcor doesn't pale when compared directly with the refined ingenium engine (NVH and refinement wise).
Overall kudos to Tata for producing a world class product in the Hexa. It's a pity it doesn't sell well, speaks volumes of the silliness in Indian brand perception and buying habits.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th November 2019 at 18:58. Reason: Spacing, typos, grammar.
AirbusCapt is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 18:53   #5169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
It's a pity it doesn't sell well, speaks volumes of the silliness in Indian brand perception and buying habits.
This statement is so true. People here don't value aspects of a car that matter: ride, handling, nvh, etc.
You can have a car that ignores almost everything above but throw in a sunroof and other electronic wizardry, that's more than enough to pull the masses.

It actually is TATA's own fault with their decade-old marketing team. Anyways, feels good to own a capable car that not so many around you have and stand out!
Depends on perception.
It was wonderful reading your comparison.. Hope i get to experience it as well someday!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 5th November 2019 at 18:56.
abhi7013 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 19:24   #5170
BHPian

Now that we have our Hexa XM+ getting delivered in few days time, I wanted to get below accessories fitted:
  1. Side step installation
  2. Seat Covers (PU/Napa/Branded ones)
  3. OEM fitted tyres are Bridgestone Duelers. Is it recommended to Exchange these tyres and replace with a better tyre. Anybody who have exchanged their stock tyres. I have heard the Bridgestones cause more road noise at high speeds and squeal more on braking.
  4. Floor Matting (Lamination)
  5. TPMS device
  6. Front Windshield Sunfilm
  7. Sub-woofer with amplifier installation on the tailgate door.
  8. Door Visors
Need inputs/advise from existing Hexa owners on the above accessories. (brand & cost wise). In addition to above, if there are any other must-have accessories, kindly suggest.

Further, if anyone can refer good and trusted accessory shops in Pune from where they have already installed above and had a better experience, that would really help.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th November 2019 at 21:47. Reason: LIST added.
Satshan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 19:58   #5171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
I have recently upgraded to a landrover discovery sport, after owning a Hexa xta for about 2.5 years.

Overall kudos to Tata for producing a world class product in the Hexa. It's a pity it doesn't sell well, speaks volumes of the silliness in Indian brand perception and buying habits.
Thanks AirbusCapt for putting into perspective Hexa's true capabilities.

Yes, it is one of those cars which only after buying and experiencing it, will we know its true colors. Typical Indian herd mentality means these few below points are drilled into a typical Indian car buyer's mind-

Skoda's ASCs are a joke, Volkswagen service costs are high, Nissan's service is poor, Maruti's costs are cheap, Toyota's vehicles and service can be trusted blindly, Tata and Mahindra vehicles are of poor quality etc.

Mind you though there is some amount of truth in the above points, to make buying decisions based on those points floating in the air, without applying brains is that 'silliness'.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 22:26   #5172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
This statement is so true. People here don't value aspects of a car that matter: ride, handling, nvh, etc.
You can have a car that ignores almost everything above but throw in a sunroof and other electronic wizardry, that's more than enough to pull the masses.
True. One more very important consideration: Fuel consumption. Our obsession with it is one reason why Maruti's tin cans top the sales charts.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 14:30   #5173
BHPian

Kerala excise department's new fleet of Hexas. Pic courtesy Jaygopal Nair, Team-BHP Hyd WhatsApp group.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20191106-9.49.36-am.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 6th November 2019 at 18:59. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
krishnakarthik1 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 14:44   #5174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post

It actually is TATA's own fault with their decade-old marketing team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Mind you though there is some amount of truth in the above points, to make buying decisions based on those points floating in the air, without applying brains is that 'silliness'.
Well said Abhi. Indeed it is Tata's own fault. They are in this passenger car business for what? 30 years now. That time is more than enough for learning. Even a species lower in the evolution chain would learn in this duration. Isn't it visible what sells? Throw in a few touch screens, mood lights, sun roofs & the car will get 3 months of waiting time. Then why in heaven's name does a Hexa, a Harrier, a Safari or a Nexon NOT get these when launched?

Why this crazy approach of trying to convince people that handling is above all electronics? Throw in the damn electronics in your well handling car & it will sell. Why are they content selling only to the little amount of purists and loyalists I simply can't understand all these years.

When a friend with Seltos asks "don't you have this in your Hexa?"; an owner will surely get annoyed even with all the ride quality he or she has! Its simply criminal to expect customers to compromise on a lot of "visible" features & buy with unknown "invisible" features of a car during a 30 minute showroom visit. And then - the disappointing sales staff...

I prefer uncluttered and less gizmo-loaded cars so I buy Tata! But then how many are like us? Its better to sell in higher volumes to ensure better returns for shareholders.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 15:47   #5175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
Now that we have our Hexa XM+ getting delivered in few days time, I wanted to get below accessories fitted:
Congratulations on the booking and impending delivery of your Hexa!

If I might offer a suggestion, use your car in stock form for a couple of months, and then rethink if you really need any or all of these accessories. If you still feel that you need them, then I have heard positive reports over the years about Bafna Cars on Ghole Road and JM Road, Poona Motors in Camp, Carax in Baner, Car Cupid in Pashan (I think).
comfortablynumb is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks