Team-BHP - Tata Hexa : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Hexa : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/181903-tata-hexa-official-review-336.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaurabhB (Post 4658119)

After the installation of the side steps, I am getting squeaking sound from the left side whenever going through bad road or road undulations.

The problem could be because of a slight misalignment of the footstep, caused due to the lift posts of the service bay. The round base of these posts have an adjustment for height which the mechanics tend to overlook when using them for Hexa. When they lift the vehicle these posts can bend the footsteps upwards thereby creating an uneven alignment. When faced with a similar problem I solve it by standing on the footstep so that my weight helps to lower it. Even I faced the same problem with my left side footstep:D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 4658028)
So while the Harrier is waiting to 'go Auto', Hexa goes ahead does it anyways. It's also saying 'I'm not going anywhere anytime soon'. Bottom-line; Hexa gets Automatic and many more goodies! Kind of a 'New Life'

Is XTA getting these features? Modes, esp etc. I am stuck between manual and auto. Will be no brainier to pick hexa if this happens

Say, why isn't Hexa categorised as an SUV or is it? If Kicks, Creta, Seltos are called SUV's then Hexa is an SUV too!
Overdrive did an "SUV" comparison (was there on this weeks show on the telly) and the aforementioned ones were in that SUV face off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 4658457)
Say, why isn't Hexa categorised as an SUV or is it?

This debate is going on forever. It is a SUV. Just because it doesn't have typical boxy design, some consider it to be MUV.

It's technically an SUV in my book, for simply having a body on frame chassis and (rear-biased)AWD/RWD. However, it does have minivan-ish proportions and because of that, I'd say its a cross-over SUV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doxinboy (Post 4658509)
This debate is going on forever. It is a SUV. Just because it doesn't have typical boxy design, some consider it to be MUV.

When Compass got launched - Hexa was trying to be an SUV and competing with the Compass.

When Harrier got launched - the marketing seems to have gone silent on the SUV credentials to avoid cross cannibalization. Sales folks seem to be more interested in comparing Hexa with Innova now!

I think if you go by the textbook definition of an SUV then it says that an SUV has to be a body on frame vehicle. The next criteria it has to meet is that it should have a 4*4 system. So,yes,in that sense Hexa is an SUV irrespective of how it looks or is perceived.

But these days due to ever tightening emission norms,weight reduction targets and pursue of better crash safety ratings, the days of traditional body on frame SUV's are getting numbered. So we have started to call monocoque crossovers with/without AWD capability as SUV's too. So I think its just how times have changed and so has the definition of an SUV.

Tata updated the Hexa in 2019 and the only positive update was inclusion of 7 inch system with Android Auto. Rest all were stupid cost cutting measures.
Came across these two videos on YouTube of the updated Hexa.
Tata has now completely removed the 19 inch machined alloys from the lineup (earlier available on XTA only) and now XT versions get 17 inch dark alloys from Aria. According to reviewer this has led to a lighter steering. Still Tata should have provided machined alloys. Switching to alloys from Aria is pure laziness.
The reviewer accolades the product as the most refined and sorted product from Tata suffering from poor marketing. Are you listening Tata? :Frustrati
If Tata gives this vehicle some updates like, push button start, a bigger infotainment system, restore all the features, LED headlights this will sell much more than current numbers.
And please remove that stupid dual tone paint job. It doesn't suit at all !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=zWkH1ayNbKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyIoVqYP8ew

Quote:

Originally Posted by PraNeel (Post 4658543)
Switching to alloys from Aria is pure laziness.

Yeah I suppose they should have tried a different design, but these 17" ones aren't bad in looks at all. Especially as OEMs. Look quite okay and can be retained without replacement.

As for the size - IMHO 17" makes much better sense for our conditions over the 19" ones. While aesthetically larger is always better - the lower tyre profile simply kills suspension components and eventually induces a lot of rattles and vibrations in the chassis over time. Our roads are brutal & there is no way its going to change within a decade significantly in % of total roads we have. 17" wheels mean much taller tyre profile & the suspension is helped immensely by the tyres actively absorbing jarring shocks before they reach the suspension. While Tata must have done this to save money (larger wheels as well as tyres are far costlier) - it will result in better ownership overall for customers I think. And remember - 17" wheels will be cheaper to change when the time comes too.

As for the features being dropped - this started in Q3 2018 (across product range) where TML seems to have had a philosophical shift. Till then for the last 15 years - TML used to give much more features in the list at the price-point compared to its peers in the segment. I suppose the bean counters finally said "We give more features & items yet the sales don't go up. Let's at least just improve profits by giving features just about those of the peers & nothing more. We aren't selling much anyway. If customers don't care, why should we!" (Honestly I don't blame them for it either. Customers buy a bare bones Innova over a Hexa. Stumps me.)

KHT Motors in Bangalore is apparently running some offers on the Hexa and Harrier as per a marketing SMS that I received from them. The Hexa has offers up to Rs 1,18,000. The contact number provided on the SMS is 7303763041.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvldvr (Post 4542884)
Update.

I changed the stock tyres/ wheels of my Hexa XT 4X4 to 16" Plati alloys and 235/70/16 Michelin LTX force tyres.

Here a few pics of the tyres and the Hexa in its new get up.

Hi nvldvr - I am planning to do the same on my Hexa. I got it used and do see some sidewall issues(punctures). Hence I have the two options below -

1) Replace all 4 tyres - Will cost me around 48K
2) Change the rim from 19" to 16" and get 4 new tyres - Will cost me 64K(with additional peace of mind)

I am planning to go with the second option. From which city did you source the new tyres and rims?

Quote:

Originally Posted by paddu (Post 4659000)
Hi nvldvr - I am planning to do the same on my Hexa.

1) Replace all 4 tyres - Will cost me around 48K
2) Change the rim from 19" to 16" and get 4 new tyres - Will cost me 64K(with additional peace of mind)

I am planning to go with the second option. From which city did you source the new tyres and rims?

I strongly recommend the second option. Will make far more sense in the long run, with added peace of mind as you mentioned.

I got the tyres from Vizag, and the alloys shipped to Vizag from a dealer based at Hyderabad. While the cost of tyres here in AP is almost the same as in Delhi, the alloys were much cheaper in Delhi.

Regards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yd_gli (Post 4654302)
I booked the XTA with 19in wheels. Urban Bronze. I got a substantial discount of almost 4 lakhs on the OTR price since I bought a 2018 model. Yes, I did an inspection once last week and will do another one today. I also took a test drive of the car over the weekend to double check.

Congratulations on your new acquisition.
Hope you are enjoying the ride. :thumbs up

I've sent a personal message to you, which seems you still haven't noticed.

Anyways, if plz check your inbox & reply soon.

Thanks,

I have booked Hexa XT 4x4 6-seater with pro accessories announced yesterday by Tata. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and others with their insights that helped me decide.

1. Can the 2019 version without the roof rails be fitted with a luggage rack on the top? This is a bummer omission aesthetically as well by because rails can't be installed at all actually.
2. What are the tyres recommendations in the new size? How are the OEM Good Year ones? I used Continental Cross Contact on my xuv and those were awesome tyres.
3. I am taking chance on the sun roof with the pro kit. Any major complaints on leakage that couldn't be solved by webasto?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kmiles (Post 4662392)
I have booked Hexa XT 4x4 6-seater with pro accessories announced yesterday by Tata. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and others with their insights that helped me decide.

1. Can the 2019 version without the roof rails be fitted with a luggage rack on the top? This is a bummer omission aesthetically as well by because rails can't be installed at all actually.
2. What are the tyres recommendations in the new size? How are the OEM Good Year ones? I used Continental Cross Contact on my xuv and those were awesome tyres.
3. I am taking chance on the sun roof with the pro kit. Any major complaints on leakage that couldn't be solved by webasto?

Hi.

1. You can fit a luggage rack on top. This will be the kind with side clamps. I think that Tata has still retained the carrier brackets on top of the roof but there was a debate on the amount of weight it can safely carry.

2. Continentals are good. No reports of the Goodyears yet. Should be doing fine. Better than the MRFs atleast. For the 17s the price still remains high... A lot of folks have switched to 16s from the 19s. More tyre options and a more palatable price point as well. However you forgo on better looking wheels with the smaller sizes

3. There have been leakage complaints. Don't know if they were solved though. The bigger issue is the integrity of the roof as the metal ribs are cut to make room for the sunroof. Also, IMO personally the bulge added to the roof inside the cabin is quite unsightly. The sunroof is also very small for this size of a vehicle.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4658667)
Yeah I suppose they should have tried a different design, but these 17" ones aren't bad in looks at all. Especially as OEMs. Look quite okay and can be retained without replacement.

As for the size - IMHO 17" makes much better sense for our conditions over the 19" ones. While aesthetically larger is always better - the lower tyre profile simply kills suspension components and eventually induces a lot of rattles and vibrations in the chassis over time. Our roads are brutal & there is no way its going to change within a decade significantly in % of total roads we have. 17" wheels mean much taller tyre profile & the suspension is helped immensely by the tyres actively absorbing jarring shocks before they reach the suspension. While Tata must have done this to save money (larger wheels as well as tyres are far costlier) - it will result in better ownership overall for customers I think. And remember - 17" wheels will be cheaper to change when the time comes too.

17 is the minimum that I can say look good on the Hexa. While I am firmly on the 19side with more tyres of better quality getting available. The suspension setup in the Hexa was for the 19s and so for my hexa, even after 40k km, there are no squeaks or rattles from anywhere.

If I ever tire of the 19s, I would happily take the 17 OEMs. Which look pretty good to me. The 19s have a polished look while the aria 17s have a more SUV look to them.