Team-BHP - Tata Hexa : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Hexa : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/181903-tata-hexa-official-review-205.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranga (Post 4275870)
I see all traits of what happened in my Scorpio way back in 2009 happening in HEXA (Wiper issue mentioned above)

Why should one pay 20Lakhs + and get a failed wiper after 1200 Kms on the odometer ?
I have nothing against TATA or the HEXA .I like the car and might be a future buyer of this platform .

Its just that i want a niggle free car. I don't want someone using me to test the features of the car . ( First batch of car buyers who invest there hard earned money and invite headaches )

Our Indian cars no doubt are still trying to be niggle free in long run . But same time they do not last when compared to Japanese or a Korean make .

If you are a regular on this forum you would be aware of the various problems reported by Innova crysta owners, Honda city owners, Hyundai i20 owners, etc. My point is that no car or car brand is absolutely problem free. At least when you buy a Tata or Mahindra, you expect some problems so aren't bitterly disappointed like people who encounter problems in their city or Innova. First year buyers of any brand, at any price point are likely to find issues, major or minor. This is just a fact of life.

On the plus side, ALL car manufacturers do support their initial customers by generally being generous with warranty claims approvals. Refer a current thread in TECHNICAL sub-forum on Ford replacing failed Diesel engines on 2013 EcoSport.

If you do like the Hexa, wait for a year before you decide. Else you can always pay a premium for a Toyota Innova. The best part about the Indian market now is the choice you get compared to even 5 years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMILEY (Post 4275768)

1. Odometer reading variation - T
=====
Intending to take the vehicle to the workshop and see if this needs any fix.

you are not alone! On my last trip, I was also surprised with the kms accumulated in the tripmeter. I spent an hr plotting the googlemap readings across all hops vs hexa readings. Turned out to be about 2% off. I read through other posts in the forum and found the deviation acceptable.

Dont have enough data for the other two points.
for my other car, fuel from my regular outlet in bangalore has always given better average than random outlets on the highway. I attribute it to adulteration. But as i said - dont have enough data for the hexa.
sticking to 100 kmph or less for now.

Quote:

1. Odometer reading variation - The distance between our house in Mumbai & in Vadodara as per google maps is 410 Kms. I used Etios Liva and the odometer reading for the trip was always about 412-415 Kms. The Hexa Tripmeter showed the reading as 429 Kms. That is about 4% excess over Liva. Is that normal? Has anyone noticed

I guess it is the physics that comes into play. My professor used to say the faster you drive the farther you cover. Lets say you cover 10 km driving 60 kmph from point A to point B. If you travel between point A to B at 120 kmph you would have covered more than 10km as you would be taking longer curve while overtaking. So you might be traveling faster in hexa than in etios and also hexa is a longer vehicle and you would have taken longer curve while overtaking. Even in my bullet I cover more distance than gmaps say when I drive faster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 4275826)
... they have deleted Vehicle Skid Protection, Traction Control and Hill Hold Feature from the top end automatic.

HHC is present in XTA. What they didn't plonk are HDC (Hill Descend Control) and ESP with Roll-Over Mitigation. It is not an issue of not having HDC as the XTA owners are those who don't prefer off-roading - that expectation is in line. ESP and ROM - yes, it is diappointing. But you have an LSD in XTA I suppose - that will help to a great extent as well. This has got a mention in the Owner's Manual Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa_own_manual.png

Quote:

Its just that i want a niggle free car. I don't want someone using me to test the features of the car .

All the best mate. What I feel is this - there is no point of making such a huge cry now itself - ie. before we confirm that it is a persistent issue out there. If the so called quality car makers (according to you the Japanese) have given their fair share of niggles and issues to the buyers, TATA should get a big exception - to be fair, let alone a "pat-on-the-back" for improving the perspectives of their products. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinodvayyat (Post 4275980)
But you have an LSD in XTA I suppose - that will help to a great extent as well. This has got a mention in the Owner's Manual Correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachment 1679745

Corrected :) XTA does not have LSD. Probably an error in the manual.
Check the video about no LSD in XTA.https://youtu.be/gqsnaMRx_TA

Quote:

Odometer reading variation - The distance between our house in Mumbai & in Vadodara as per google maps is 410 Kms.
I used Etios Liva and the odometer reading for the trip was always about 412 - 415 Kms.
The Hexa Tripmeter showed the reading as 429 Kms, that is about 4% excess over Liva.

Are your tires stock on both vehicles ?
If yes, & assuming you took the same route ( as on Google-Maps ) on both vehicles, it would appear that while both are inaccurate, one is less accurate than the other.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 (Post 4275969)
I guess it is the physics that comes into play, my professor used to say the faster you drive the farther you cover.

Must not comment, must not comment, must not comment...
Quote:

Lets say you cover 10 Km driving 60 Kmph from point A to point B, if you travel between point A to B at 120 Kmph you would have covered more than 10 Km as you would be taking longer curve while overtaking.

Just to nail things down, if we travelled on a road which was absolutely straight, there would be no difference at all, correct ?
And if we were on a winding, twisty road, one that was all curves, would the difference be more than 10 Kms ?
Quote:

So you might be traveling faster in hexa than in etios and also hexa is a longer vehicle and you would have taken longer curve while overtaking.
Even in my bullet I cover more distance than gmaps say when I drive faster.

Your Bullet appears to be from an other world :thumbs up

Quote:

HHC is present in XTA.

What Tata means is the default behavior of a Torque Converter Automatic. All Torque Converter Automatics apply a slight forward pressure even when idling. That is why you need to keep you brakes pressed at a signal. This is because the Torque Converter is churning even when the car is idling at a signal as long as the a Drive mode is selected. In very steep slopes, this minor forward push applied by the Torque converter will not be enough to prevent the vehicle from rolling back. This is why HHA is an additional feature which activates the brakes for a few seconds giving you time to accelerate up a slope. But, I would agree that this is feature can be appreciated much more in a manual transmission than an automatic.
Quote:

This has got a mention in the Owner's Manual Correct me if I'm wrong.

The owners manual is generic to all variants. It doesn't specify features by variant.

The website and brochure has the exact difference by variant. I have attached the screen shot from the official Tata Website. As you can see that it is lacking ESP with Roll Over Mitigation, Traction Control and HDC. HDC as you said can be ignored and majority of 2WD owners won't likely use that feature, but ESP/Roll Over Mitigation and Traction Control as essential features of vehicles in this price bracket.

LSD is not available in any variant of the HEXA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 4276049)
What Tata means is the default behavior of a Torque Converter Automatic.

That was enlightening - thanks :)

Quote:

The owners manual is generic to all variants. It doesn't specify features by variant.

The specific line where it mentioned ESP in non-LSD models and LSD in ABS enabled model seemed to suggest specifically.

Quote:

... but ESP/Roll Over Mitigation and Traction Control as essential features of vehicles in this price bracket.
LSD is not available in any variant of the HEXA.

Disappointed now, actually. The comfort and performance that XTA gives still prompts me to go for it, though I would not like to compromise on safety.
The 4X4 variant was mentioned to have LSD on both axles in the TeamBHP review though - that needs correction then?!

Quote:

I see all traits of what happened in my Scorpio way back in 2009 happening in HEXA (Wiper issue mentioned above)

Why should one pay 20Lakhs + and get a failed wiper after 1200 Kms on the odometer ?

Its just that i want a niggle free car. I don't want someone using me to test the features of the car . ( First batch of car buyers who invest there hard earned money and invite headaches )

Our Indian cars no doubt are still trying to be niggle free in long run . But same time they do not last when compared to Japanese or a Korean make .

After going through all your posts, the best thing you should be doing is walk straight to a Korean or Japanese brand showroom (for which you have all praises and are of the opinion that they are niggle free) and pick a vehicle that best suits your requirement. Period.

There is no point shortlisting a vehicle that:
a) Bothers you as wiper motors failed in one of the cars
b) You feel someone is using you to test the features of the car
c) Does not last as well as the competition you are referring to

PS: I do not own a Hexa. So why am I posting in this thread? Well, I own a market dud called Aria and the car has been with me since the last 4.5 years and 65K kms. Forget wiper motors, even a headlight bulb has't failed on my car till date. I do not have even a single case of unscheduled visit to TASS to report of. And yes, it is an apple itself that I am using for comparison.

Quote:

1. Odometer reading variation - The distance between our house in Mumbai & in Vadodara as per google maps is 410 Kms. I used Etios Liva and the odometer reading for the trip was always about 412-415 Kms. The Hexa Tripmeter showed the reading as 429 Kms. That is about 4% excess over Liva. Is that normal? Has anyone noticed similar thing?

I may sound stupid and not entirely sure as well myself but I think that is because of the difference of circumference between 16" and 19" tyres. Think the 19 inchers would report more !!

Just trying to apply my old school maths and physics here - which I was very bad at though ! :uncontrol I can now understand why my teachers used to give importance to those theorems n all !! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec (Post 4276414)
I may sound stupid and not entirely sure as well myself but I think that is because of the difference of circumference between 16" and 19" tyres. Think the 19 inchers would report more !!

Just trying to apply my old school maths and physics here - which I was very bad at though ! :uncontrol I can now understand why my teachers used to give importance to those theorems n all !! :D

The Sidewall thickness of the 16 incher would be much more than that of the 19 incher.
The 235/70 R16 has an overall Diameter of 29 inches.
Whereas, the 235/55 R19 has overall Diameter of 29 inches 0.5 cm.

Hence, a total difference of just 0.5 cm. This difference is calibrated in the Speedometer and Odometer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhishek46 (Post 4276421)
The Sidewall thickness of the 16 incher would be much more than that of the 19 incher.
The 235/70 R16 has an overall Diameter of 29 inches.
Whereas, the 235/55 R19 has overall Diameter of 29 inches 0.5 cm.

Hence, a total difference of just 0.5 cm. This difference is calibrated in the Speedometer and Odometer.

Ok - so then that proves I still remember a few things. Think the difference may not have been calibrated - causing this !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec (Post 4276435)
Ok - so then that proves I still remember a few things. Think the difference may not have been calibrated - causing this !!

That will depend on the circumference.
The circumference difference is 1.5cm.
That means for every rotation of the tyre, the 19 incher covers 1.5cm more than the 16 incher (which will cover 73.66 cm for every rotation).

In absolute terms, it is a 2% increase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhishek46 (Post 4276446)
In absolute terms, it is a 2% increase.

:thumbs up

And that is close to the difference being reported.